Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2024, 16:55   #4951
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Insurance is being quoted as Rs. 88,400 for zero dep with 2 years of additional third party insurance.
Hi, not sure but the insurance seems on the higher side; maybe it's caused by the difference in cities; Which insurer have you reached out to? I got mine done for 50k but in Delhi.

My question is what does this insurance mean? Next year when I need to renew, since I already have the third party insurance for additional 2 years, can I only renew own insurance part?

There are some 3 yr compulsory 3rd party insurance for all 4Ds. Thus your insurance should be exclusive of that.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th January 2024 at 09:15. Reason: Typos and punctuation.
Old 3rd January 2024, 18:13   #4952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLife View Post
Next year when I need to renew, since I already have the third party insurance for additional 2 years, can I only renew own insurance part ?
For a new car, the insurance policy includes 1 year of own damage coverage and 3 years of third party liability coverage. When you renew at the end of the first year, you only renew the own-damage part for another 1 year. Ditto for the third year as well.
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 20:24   #4953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
Its 16 inch for both. I have been using Bosch Clear Advantage frameless wipers on my Thar since few months. Working well.
I switched to the Bosch Clear advantage 15" Wiper blades today as the stock wipers were leaving a lot of streaks. This is at 14,300 kms.
Also the tpms sensor of one tyre, the right rear one was playing truant. Got the errors wiped and looking to see if all will be well.
Cheers
Rajeevsulu
rajeevsulu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 10:20   #4954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeeprawat View Post
Does Thar come with a single remote key? I received one remote and one manual key. Wonder if this is the case with all Mahindra vehicles or a recent phenomenon post chip shortage?
Yes, only single remote FOB key. You can get another FOB key by paying about 2K for key + 1500 for software update/activation...so around 3500-4000K. I dont remember the price though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto spawn View Post
My dealer is offering a normal reversing camera and an HD camera. Has anyone experienced the HD camera?
Go for HD camera from Mahindra. I dont think there is much price difference though.

Last edited by vb-saan : 5th January 2024 at 10:33. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another. Thank you!
jimmzbond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 22:11   #4955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nair.V8 View Post
This December I will be doing an extensive roadtrip across various locations in the South. The route planned is: Mumbai-Bengaluru-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Kochi-and back.
Hi @Nair.V8. Hope your trip was great and you enjoyed a lot! I'll be waiting for your review of AVO suspension.
Old 17th January 2024, 23:14   #4956
BHPian

Hi, I am looking to upgrade my headlights and want to keep stock fog lamps.
I stay in Gurgaon, wherein there may be extreme fog concerns. So, i am very confused with choices. After lots of research, i have shortlisted these.
1. Osram night breaker Laser halogen- They are not white at 6000K, but concern is short life of 400 hrs. (Rs. 2200). Or, philips halogen liek GT200.
2. Osram 25W 6000K LED (Rs. 3700) - They may not be brightest, but better than Osram nighbreaker maybe
3. Osram 50W 4200K LED (Rs. 7000) - i am unable to find any local dealer. Only online availability, so not sure how warranty will work.
4. Osram 50W 6000K LED (about Rs. 7000) - not sure if this is good setup if i keep stock fog lamps which will be helpful during fog conditions in Delhi NCR.
Or, any other recommendation from fellow members will be appreciated.

I am not able to get Osram halogen or LED anywhere in gurgaon - so if someone can recommend a dealer - i will be very thankful.
Most dealers stock chinese stuff, lumax, nippon, balupunkt - which i am not interested to go for.
Old 19th January 2024, 11:13   #4957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmzbond View Post
I suggest you to upgrade to 130/100 halogen bulbs using good quality relay (philips etc) all for 1.8-2k.
Using for 1.5 years in all conditions.
LEDs in reflectors doesn't sound a good idea to me.
yadavsid21 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 13:10   #4958
BHPian

Need your input in here guys, please pitch in.

The car stalled today while running a few minutes back. While running as in it was in Driving gear and just stalled at around 25-30kmph.

Haphazardly slotted it in neutral and started it. Well, it started in first go without any issues but check engine light came up.

No warnings on console except for CEL.

Any pointers what could be the possible reason? It's 2.2L Diesel Auto.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20240122_112833.jpg  

Old 22nd January 2024, 13:59   #4959
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmzbond View Post
I stay in Gurgaon, wherein there may be extreme fog concerns. So, i am very confused with choices.
For extreme fog concerns, there's no point in retaining the stock fog lamps which are pretty average, and upgrading the headlights only. The best yellow fog lights (in flood beam pattern) that I have seen are Vaishnu yellow fog lamps-
https://vaishnu.com/product/vaishnu-...r-cars-yellow/
Note: I have no personal affiliation to them, just appreciate their high-quality products.
Your other options include yellow and white LED fog lamps from a number of Chinese manufacturers that can be easily found in Karol Bagh.
For headlights, it's better to stick with halogen bulbs only. 100w Philips Rallye bulbs with a high-quality wiring harness is the cheapest way to upgrade your lighting output.
Amrit@wheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 14:28   #4960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrit@wheels View Post
For headlights, it's better to stick with halogen bulbs only. 100w Philips Rallye bulbs with a high-quality wiring harness is the cheapest way to upgrade your lighting output.
Ive remarked on this on earlier occasions. I suggest look at the stock 55W Halogen Direct swap option.

Philips Extreme Vision G Force or Osram Night Breakers (H4) work very well indeed. It’s a simple straight swap. Available on Amazon and in accessories shops and all.

The effect is excellent when compared to stock Thar lamps. And there is no extra relay and wiring and all that needed.

I use the Philips and am happy with them.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_8377.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 13:45   #4961
BHPian

Just faced the first major niggle with my Petrol MT. The car went into the limp mode with speed restricted at 30kmph and massive vibrations, I was not even able to operate my phone with one hand.

Plugged in the OBD scanner and noted two fault codes:
- P0304 (Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected)
- P0363 (Powertrain malfunction)

Took the car to ASC and was informed that oil has seeped into the spark plugs and they will need time to diagnose it fully. Was also informed that they experienced a similar case with the mstallion manual Thar on which the engine was changed.

Fingers crossed, I hope the same is rectified without any major components getting swapped.

Anyone else experienced this kind of a problem?
daf23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 20:04   #4962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daf23 View Post
Plugged in the OBD scanner and noted two fault codes:
- P0304 (Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected)
- P0363 (Powertrain malfunction)

Fingers crossed, I hope the same is rectified without any major components getting swapped.

Anyone else experienced this kind of a problem?

I have faced a similar Combustion misfire on one cylinder in my Mini Cooper which has a 1.6 litre Turbo petrol engine. I have therefore done some research and study on this aspect. (After some back and forth my trouble was traced to ignition coil wear and tear. By then I had also got the fuel injectors cleaned as well as changed my Fuel filter and all.)

1.Combustion misfire can be because of PCV valve / membrane / hose malfunction. (Positive Crankcase Ventilation).
2. Could be bad ignition coils.
3. Could be bad fuel injectors.
4. Turbo / Forced induction engines are more prone than NA engines.
5. If oil has attacked the spark plugs then it might even mean a cylinder is weak.
6. Typically that means reboring with appropriate sleeve.
7. Or a complete engine replacement under warranty.

This last should not happen unless the engine has been subjected to undue strain such as;
a. Towing excess weight beyond permissible payload limits repeatedly and for prolonged periods.
b. Stressing the engine with abnormally high revving for prolonged periods while stationary.
c. Subjecting the engine to abnormally high operating temperatures.
d. Driving with less engine oil than required ocer longer distance for prolonged periods.

OR

e. it could be because you’ve been a victim of adulterated Fuel.
f. It is worth checking the condition of your Fuel filter as well. (Irrespective of the Kms you have run, the Fllter show you how dirty the fuel has been.)
g. If you have put a K&N or BMC Air Filter or Conical Filter in the vehicle you may be sure that while it does help the engine breathe better etc, being a filter that promotes ‘free air flow’ it also welcomes all sorts of impurities and particulate matter from the atmosphere and our Indian operating conditions are already very harsh. This particulate matter goes into the engine and contaminates the lubricating oil and over time has a deleterious effect.

Normally these kinds of powerful 2 litre turbo petrol engines should comfortably do a lac and more kms.

A brief note on crankcase ventilation is below in case anyone is interested.

The crankcase ventilation system removes unwanted gases from the crankcase of an internal combustion engine. The system usually consists of a tube, a one-way valve and a vacuum source. The unwanted gases, called "blow-by", are gases from the combustion chamber which have leaked past the piston rings.

The PCV valve is a one-way valve attached to the crankcase that holds motor oil and produces gasses when your engine burns fuel. A PCV valve's main job is to control gas emissions and reroute any gas produced by the crankcase back into your engine's combustion chambers.
(Source : Internet Forums plus Wikipedia)

Please talk to the service chaps and ask them to carry out a thorough check on the crankcase ventilation systems along with all the other investigstions they are doing.

All the best.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 23rd January 2024 at 20:06.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 23:32   #4963
BHPian

Dear Shankar, do you recommend not fitting a K&N filter in the Thar? I just got one from a friend and was planning to replace the stock one. Is it likely to do more harm than good in the long run? I am from Mumbai and the city is like one mega construction/repairs site. Dust, dirt, and debris are everywhere.
Your advice will be highly appreciated.
Old 24th January 2024, 00:10   #4964
BHPian

Finally, completed the long pending Headlight upgrade for my Thar.

Need to Upgrade :

- During night drives on 2 lane highways, heavy vehicles never use their low beams by default. We had to slow down and strain yourself to pass them.
- On 4 lane highways, the stock lights were manageable for driving, but when we ask for a pass from behind, the stock lights were very dull on the rear view mirrors of the vehicle at front.

These were the main reasons for the upgrade.

List of options I shortlisted :

> LED bulbs instead of stock halogens - light just scatters too much and there is no proper throw during high beam (light just spreads)
> Minus lights, kingkong lights - All these were mostly made in china and some how did not appeal me with the lighting performance.
> Use higher wattage bulb with relay setup - I did not want to add additional wiring / setup and was looking for a direct swap.
> Hella / Lightforce lights - Lighting performance was good but not that cost effective. (Almost made up my mind to go for this option)

Finally came across lights from STEDI (few articles are already there in our forum and one of my friend strongly recommended)

Options available in STEDI - Homage / Iris chrome / Carbon Black series.

Chose Homage series as it gives the highest beam distance among the 3 [353m Vs 235m Vs 235m respectively]
Homage series give the highest throw in both high beam and low beam modes.

For more technical details - https://www.stedi.com.au/led-convers...ght-units.html

Fitting :
It is a direct swap except the frames which the headlight sits needs to be filed a little bit. Did the fitting at my friends place. The technician helped with aligning the lights as well.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-fitting1.jpg

Low Beam :
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-low_beam.jpg

High Beam :
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-high_beam.jpg

High Beam with Aux (Projectors with HID)
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-high_beam_withaux.jpg

Street View with Low Beam :
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-street_lowbeam.jpg

Street View with High Beam :
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-street_highbeam.jpg

Note : These pictures were captured with some lights nearby and not in fully dark area.

Next upgrade will be a light bar!
nax04 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 05:14   #4965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Dear Shankar, do you recommend not fitting a K&N filter in the Thar? I just got one from a friend and was planning to replace the stock one. Is it likely to do more harm than good in the long run? I am from Mumbai and the city is like one mega construction/repairs site. Dust, dirt, and debris are everywhere.
Your advice will be highly appreciated.
Hi.

I prefer, after years of experimenting, to stay with stock air filters. The filter elements are spaced closer together and they do trap particulate matter and debris better and more efficiently. Especially in the harsh operating conditions that we live in, in India.

As you rightly pointed out, dust, debris etc are rife. We are normal users driving our hard earned cars in the city and on highways in dusty and smoggy/ smoky operating conditions. We are not driving a sponsored car in some rally. Yes the free flow air filters do promote better engine breathing and all but as a result and despite having the coating of oil on the filter elements, a lot of foreign particulate matter does get through.

I have reverted to stock even on my Mini Cooper because it is just better for the car in these conditions. For example on the way to Hampi once 3 years ago, I drove through a huge cloud of red-brown iron dust which was hanging in the air for a couple of kilometres or so; from a massive mining operation nearby en route around a place called Sandur. While my windows were up and the AC was on, I was still wondering how much of that debris and particulate matter from the surrounding air would find its way into the car and into my lungs. A different take on ‘iron lungs’ if you will. I shudder even now at that memory.

If one drives one’s Thar, for example into a desert for a spot of sand dune bashing, there will be clouds of fine sand-laden dust in the air. Or if one goes to a construction site there is always a cloud of dust in the air. Imagine allowing all that in a relatively unrestricted manner, into your precious vehicle’s air intake system.

The principle is the same as using the best available N95 mask when going into a polluted area or a place where airborne infection is rife. Use the best mask/ filter that you can, in the conditions we operate in, in order to keep the muck and disease and danger away.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 24th January 2024 at 05:15.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks