Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2023, 17:14   #4891
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast 1212 View Post
Hey, could you share the review post installation? I am confused if i should go with AVO or Ironman.
If neither of them solve the issue of the ride quality, then i can also consider the MMG 3' lift. Any suggestions?
I haven’t heard any reviews of the MMG kit from any known contacts.

Many Thar owners on this forum have shared positive reviews for the AVO suspension. Adjustable damping and a set of rear springs along with the 4 dampers, makes it a unique offering (as compared to all other suspension-upgrade options available for the Thar). Ironman Nitrogas for Thar comes with 4 dampers & front lower control arms (no springs provided). You get a 3 year/60k kms warranty on the Ironman, as compared to 18 months warranty on the AVO. Pricewise both are nearly identical. I personally haven’t experienced the AVO setup yet, so I cannot comment on whether it’s better than the Ironman kit. Last time I checked with N1racing (official partner for AVO Mumbai), there is an updated version of the AVO kit being developed for the Thar. I did consider buying this initially, but after waiting for more than 3 months with no confirmation on availability I decided to consider other options.

As mentioned in my previous posts, it’s too early for me to give a proper feedback on the newly installed Ironman Nitrogas kit. I have driven less than 600kms so far with this setup, will post a detailed review next month once I’m back from my roadtrip to the South. However, I would like to share a few initial observations after driving with the Nitrogas kit over the last 3 weeks:
• These are noticeably stiffer than the stock Gabriel shocks within Mumbai’s uneven & pothole ridden roads. Reducing tyre pressure from 32psi to 29psi has made it a bit more comfortable. The stiffness is expected to settle down over time.
• The handling is far more entertaining now on open roads. Body roll is considerably less, and there is a newfound tightness to the overall dynamics of the Thar.
• The Nitrogas kit gives the Thar a ~1inch lift at the front. This levels out the stance of the Thar, which otherwise appears to be drooping at the front. The slight lift is very much noticeable, the underbody protection plates on my Thar are more visible now when viewed from ahead.
• As a result of the slight lift, the steering feels lighter. This could be attributed to the shift in some of the mass, from the front to the rear of the vehicle.
• I can tackle bad roads & off-road trails with more confidence now due to the higher ground clearance at the front.

Before making the decision on which suspension to purchase, I would highly recommend trying them out first. Only take the plunge once you’re convinced.

Also as mentioned by GTO in a recent post, 2023 Thar’s have been reported to have much better suspension than the previous lot. The improvement offered by any aftermarket suspension may not be worth the money.

Last edited by Nair.V8 : 27th November 2023 at 17:17.
Nair.V8 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 18:32   #4892
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nair.V8 View Post
Ironman Nitrogas for Thar comes with 4 dampers & front lower control arms (no springs provided). You get a 3 year/60k kms warranty on the Ironman, as compared to 18 months warranty on the AVO. Pricewise both are nearly identical.
Sounds good. Would really appreciate some pictures.

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st December 2023 at 10:54. Reason: Shortening quoted post :)
Amrit@wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 11:29   #4893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast 1212 View Post
I am confused if i should go with AVO or Ironman.
If neither of them solve the issue of the ride quality, then i can also consider the MMG 3' lift.
Any suggestions?
AFAIK, AVO is not tested for extreme off-road situations. They are majorly designed for on-road handling and comfort with minor off-road usage.
There has been few cases of leaking shocks which they claim is service-able.

Ironman would be the best bet if lifting is not primarily you are looking for. I am sure Ironman would be extensively tested for extreme off-road. Bonus is that you get small lift at the front.

As I needed a good lift, I have ordered the 2.5 Inch MMG Lift Kit. Will post a review after using it for some time.
MithunSathianat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 16:11   #4894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrit@wheels View Post
Sounds good. Would really appreciate some pictures.
Pictures of Ironman 4x4 Nitrogas suspension for Thar

As part of the Ironman Nitrogas suspension kit for the gen.2 Thar, 2 shock absorbers & heavy duty lower control arms are provided for the front end.
These are paired with the stocks springs.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-picsart_231129_153426791.jpg

For the rear, 2 shock absorbers are provided & these are paired with the stock springs as well.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-picsart_231129_153818624.jpg

I'm loving the new raised stance! Notice how those Prad underbody plates are more visible now due to the slight lift.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-picsart_231127_172036087.jpg

On a different note, this Ironman upgrade marks the 3rd Aussie component to go on Roxy (after the Stedi headlamps & EVCx throttle controller).
I plan on getting a little Kangaroo decal, in appreciation of these high quality Australian made car-accessories.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20231129_154701.jpg

Last edited by Nair.V8 : 29th November 2023 at 16:13.
Nair.V8 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 30th November 2023, 01:06   #4895
BHPian

Expecting to pick up my Thar by next weekend. The dealership is quoting 65k for insurance including zero dep. After a little negotiation the max they’re ready to offer is 12k discount. Can fellow Team BHPians please share what deals you got on insurance?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 30th November 2023 at 09:56. Reason: Typos.
Old 30th November 2023, 08:07   #4896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto spawn View Post
Expecting to pick up my Thar by next weekend. The dealership is quoting 65k for insurance including zero dep. After a little negotiation the max they’re ready to offer is 12k discount. Can fellow Team BHPians please share what deals you got on insurance?
Sounds like a good quote. I took mine from Policybazar for ~50k in Apr 2022.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 30th November 2023 at 09:56. Reason: Quoted post edited.
yadavsid21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2023, 13:23   #4897
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nair.V8 View Post
Pictures of Ironman 4x4 Nitrogas suspension for Thar

I'm loving the new raised stance! Notice how those Prad underbody plates are more visible now due to the slight lift.
Attachment 2537133
My goodness, it looks absolutely smashing. I love how your Thar doesn't have any noisy mods. It looks stock but better, exactly how I like it!
Amrit@wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2023, 16:04   #4898
BHPian

Quote:
Check Acko and you will be pleasantly surprised. I took Acko for my new and existing cars
FAIAAA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2023, 16:55   #4899
BHPian

I’m looking for 16 inch fuel rims for my AX Thar. Can someone suggest where can I source them from in Mumbai?
Old 1st December 2023, 17:12   #4900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I’m looking for 16 inch fuel rims for my AX Thar. Can someone suggest where can I source them from in Mumbai?
I had seen them with Futurz 4x4 in Andheri. Maybe you can contact them. I remember seeing 18 inchers there. They might have 16s as well.
Dippy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2023, 21:39   #4901
BANNED

What’s needed to be changed to spec a 2022 thar with 2023 suspension? I mean do we need to change only the dampers or anything else aswell? Approximate cost ?
Old 2nd December 2023, 10:51   #4902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlmtukkar View Post
What’s needed to be changed to spec a 2022 thar with 2023 suspension? I mean do we need to change only the dampers or anything else aswell? Approximate cost ?

+ 1. Same question. Also anybody with Nitro shocks in Kerala ?
Old 2nd December 2023, 15:47   #4903
BHPian

Need some help regarding Coolant for 2022 4x4 Thar Diesel.

My car came in with Pink Coolant.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-coolant-factory.jpg

Now the issue is, it requires top up. The sticker under the hood mentions Mahindra Maximile Ultracool.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-recommended-fluids.jpg

I got the same from MASS *but* it is blue/purple in colour.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-new-coolant.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-maximile-1.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-maximile-2.jpg

MASS recommended me to top it up with newer one as it makes no difference. One of the reasoning was as you're topping just 1.5-2L in the total, it won't make much difference.

Need recommendations here, what should I do? Should I flush the old one and refill it with newer one or just top it up with newer one without flushing?
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2023, 17:11   #4904

Sorry, but a quick question--- how does the colour of the coolant matter?
NajSaf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2023, 21:25   #4905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NajSaf View Post
Sorry, but a quick question--- how does the colour of the coolant matter?
See this thread (Types of Coolants and debunking myths associated with grades & colours).

I am not sure whether they've changed just the colour or the chemical composition as well.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks