Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2023, 21:28   #4876
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Mahindra Thar now gets all black front grill

Seems like Mahindra has silently updated the Thar with an all black grill. This looks like the exact same grill as before, just that the spokes are now black (these were gray earlier). Below pictures were recently posted on a Thar owners group on Facebook:

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20231113-9.18.45-pm.jpeg
Nair.V8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 16:20   #4877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nair.V8 View Post
Mahindra Thar now gets all black front grill

Seems like Mahindra has silently updated the Thar with an all black grill. This looks like the exact same grill as before, just that the spokes are now black (these were gray earlier). Below pictures were recently posted on a Thar owners group on Facebook:

Attachment 2530891
I'm guessing this is to match the unpainted bumpers they rolled out mid 2022. Grey only on the grills was out of place.
strawmUnkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 10:22   #4878
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, sharing a useful post from my Thar ownership thread here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I spoke to Anshuman and he had the same opinion. Am seeing Shankar.Balan posting on similar lines on the main Thar review thread. I drove a 2023 Thar and also feel the same.

It's no longer worth it for anyone to spend 1-lakh on an AVO suspension or any after-market suspension. Reasons:

- The 2023 Thars come with reduced bumpiness from the suspension. Don't get me wrong, it is still bumpy (short wheelbase, offroad suspension & all that), but the bumpiness appears to be much lesser than the earlier cars. In a nutshell, the 2023 Thars stock suspension is now liveable.

- Drop the tyre PSI to 28 - 30 for city usage. At 29 - 30 PSI, you will be able to easily live with the Thar. Raise it for highway runs though.

- Anshuman says that the kickback from the rear (old Thar problem) has reduced in the 2023 cars.

- The stock suspension is dirt cheap .

- The AVO kit costs 1-lakh rupees. Then, at the 40000 - 50000 km mark, the AVO dampers apparently start leaking and need replacement. That is big bucks all over again.

I have yet to drive the 2023 Thar on the highway, but based on a city drive, I think the suspension is now tolerable. I wouldn't spend the money on AVO if my car had come with the latest OEM suspension.

Last edited by GTO : 15th November 2023 at 10:30.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 11:11   #4879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It's no longer worth it for anyone to spend 1-lakh on an AVO suspension or any after-market suspension. Reasons:
I am contemplating a replacement for my Duster AMT probably next year, and casually exploring my options. when I asked, a relative of mine also said almost the same words GTO has written; he is an experienced off-roader and owner of a Duster AWD and the Thar.

As per his advise, either you buy a new 2024 Thar and keep the vehicle stock as much as you can; or get a 12-24 month old used Thar and upgrade the suspension etc. to better aftermarket stuff as per your likings/budget.

If you are not in a hurry, simply keep looking for a pre-worshipped one that has already been upgraded.

I can't think about a better advise.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 15th November 2023 at 11:13.
sandeepmdas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 10:12   #4880
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
I am contemplating a replacement for my Duster AMT probably next year, and casually exploring my options.

either you buy a new 2024 Thar
A related question - is the 3-door Thar facelift on the cards? It's been nearly 3.5 years since the launch now and though the Thar doesn't show its age, it's probably due for a facelift. Moreover, since the 5-door is in the pipeline too and that it's rumored to have some 'enhanced' features, will the same trickle down to the 3-door version?

Anyway, the waiting for the 4x4 Thar stands at 3-4 months currently, so does it make sense to hold on for the facelifted Thar? Any birdie tip maybe?
ashvek3141 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 12:46   #4881
BHPian

Quote:
I am using my Thar (initial lot) with AVO suspension for about 5k plus kms now. It was still bumpy with the changed suspension. But after dropping the tyre pressure to 27-28 all around it's like almost (almost) any other car. Bumpiness gone and is smooth passing over bumps and drops incl rumble stripes.

I would recommend all to try dropping pressure to Sub 30 psi and try out.
techfreak is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2023, 20:55   #4882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
I am using my Thar (initial lot) with AVO suspension for about 5k plus kms now. It was still bumpy with the changed suspension. But after dropping the tyre pressure to 27-28 all around it's like almost (almost) any other car. Bumpiness gone and is smooth passing over bumps and drops incl rumble stripes.

I am driving with 28-29 PSI in the rear and with 4 people - total weight of around 90 kgs in the back, it bottomed out in two occasions. This never happened to me ever with 32 PSI all around. I believe this - 28 or 29 - is too low. Also, I would not want to maintain this level in the front with that much weight including me driving. May not do good for the suspension/mounts in the long term.

Thar needs to be driven little faster with its very basic suspension setup (slightly better but similar to old Scorpio setup). On a fairly good roads, keeping the momentum is doing massive favour to the ride experience. We should not expect to have Duster, Tatas like flat ride in a true blood 4WD like Thar. This is not designed for cruising capabilities on nice tarmac rather to have a far better experience in off road/no road conditions compared to the good old Thar CRDE etc.

Last edited by sgmuser : 19th November 2023 at 20:56. Reason: typos
sgmuser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 15:02   #4883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
I am driving with 28-29 PSI in the rear and with 4 people - total weight of around 90 kgs in the back, it bottomed out in two occasions.
Every vehicle comes with a specification on recommended tyre pressure from the manufacturer, and there is a reason for that. The vehicle is designed to perform optimally with tires inflated to the recommended pressure. A variation of 1 PSI +/- is acceptable but anything beyond that is not advisable. Recommended tire pressure for the Thar LX is 32 PSI all around, please do not go below 31 PSI. The Thar is a jeep and a darn good one at that. Do not try and make a cushy plushy car out of it

PS - I drive a Nov 2021 Thar with stock suspension, maintain the tire pressure to 32.0 PSI all around, and am very happy with the ride & handling.

Last edited by cool_dube : 20th November 2023 at 15:04. Reason: Typo
cool_dube is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 20:57   #4884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Every vehicle comes with a specification on recommended tyre pressure from the manufacturer, and there is a reason for that. The vehicle is designed to perform optimally with tires inflated to the recommended pressure. A variation of 1 PSI +/- is acceptable but anything beyond that is not advisable. Recommended tire pressure for the Thar LX is 32 PSI all around, please do not go below 31 PSI. The Thar is a jeep and a darn good one at that. Do not try and make a cushy plushy car out of it

PS - I drive a Nov 2021 Thar with stock suspension, maintain the tire pressure to 32.0 PSI all around, and am very happy with the ride & handling.
I agree but what I have been doing for few weeks now is to try and see how these combinations works out. The issue with me is that I have another German car and a bit unfortunate that when shuffling between these two cars, I feel Thar's issues are zoomed in more and more. Today, I was sitting at the back and the ride was so bad with sideways movements just like a boat. I know this is because of these unreasonable less psi in the rear. I will adjust the air back to 30 and play around the AVO's adjustments especially for the rear suspensions. I believe this is going to go on for some more time until I find the optimum level of comfort and make Thar a livable daily driver with my and my family preferences. What you think which is comfortable will completely be different from my perspective and expectations. I am spoilt by Prado as well my previous ride and I believe that is the epitome of flattened ride quality in a tall SUV like it is, forget about Hexas and Dusters - very well proportioned SUVs/MUVs.
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 14:54   #4885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... dropping the tyre pressure to 27-28 ...
The biggest risk of driving with under-inflated tyres is the danger of tyre blowout due to constant over flexing of the tyres along the contact patch leading to heat buildup and ultimately blowout.

Contrary to popular believe, filling 5 PSI higher than normal is safer (although bumpy, with irregular wear at center and bad for suspension) than filling 5 PSI less than recommended. (huge tyre blowout risk).
for_cars1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2023, 20:15   #4886

Thar's don't have steering dampers.
Old 22nd November 2023, 23:20   #4887
BHPian

I recently got my Thar LX AT RWD Petrol but i only received one FOB (remote) with key. The 2nd key has dummy FOB. Is there a way i can get FOB - The service center wherein i got my 1st service done quoted more than Rs. 6000 for the same. Other dealership quoted about 3000 for FOB and 1500 for encoding it.

I will thankful if i can get exact details on how to get it done. I had sent email to customercare@mahindra.com but they routed my request to dealership wherein i bought my Thar. Its such a confusing time for me dealing with people at dealership who dont have a clue on the product.
Old 23rd November 2023, 12:42   #4888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nair.V8 View Post
Ironman4x4 Nitrogas installed on Thar 4x4 Petrol AT
I recently watched a video on youtube for fitting ironman suspension in Thar and was searching through team-bhp for the same. I wanted to see the comparison between Ironman and AVO suspension. The reason is, people on youtube say that Ironman suspension is one of the bests out there and a lot of people on team-bhp have advocated for AVO on Thar.

But I couldn't find the comparison between AVO and Ironman for a 2023 Thar. I'll be patiently waiting for your review and some on-road experiences once you've driven it for a while (which I believe you'll do quite soon, given your driving mileage).

On another note, a link to very good video on Ironman suspension on Thar. It has a similar setup to yours and the explanation with differences is quite good.
astro-wolf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2023, 10:55   #4889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro-wolf View Post
I recently watched a video on Youtube for fitting ironman suspension in Thar and was searching through team-bhp for the same.

I'll be patiently waiting for your review and some on-road experiences once you've driven it for a while (which I believe you'll do quite soon, given your driving mileage).
Hey there astro-wolf, the above video on the Tread trails YouTube channel is super informative, It helped me decide on the Ironman suspension for my Thar. The owner Jaydeep seems like a genuine & knowledgeable guy, I look forward to his follow up video, post installation.

This December I will be doing an extensive roadtrip across various locations in the South. The route planned is: Mumbai-Bengaluru-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Kochi-and back. I also plan to explore a few places around these areas and hopefully get a chance to try some off-road trails (#FingersCrossed)! This trip will be a great opportunity to test the newly installed Ironman Nitrogas suspension across a wide variety of driving conditions, I’m so looking forward to this! I will post a detailed review of the Ironman kit once I’m back.

In the meantime, if anyone here has details regarding off-road trails or off-road groups in Kerala, please do share the same. This roadtrip will feel complete once I get to attempt atleast one good trail in Kerala. Cheers!
Nair.V8 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th November 2023, 14:18   #4890

[quote=Nair.V8;5659351]Ironman4x4 Nitrogas installed on Thar 4x4 Petrol AT

After having driven over 9,000kms (10 months since purchase) with the stock suspension, I got the Ironman Nitrogas suspension kit installed on Roxy. This kit consists of 4 dampers (front & rear) + front lower control arms. This setup gives a 1-inch lift at the front which eliminates the drooping front stance (as seen on all Thar’s with stock suspension) and levels out the vehicle. Not only does this lift enhance the road presence, but it also provides additional confidence when going off-road./QUOTE]

Hey, could you share the review post installation?
I am confused if i should go with AVO or Ironman.
If neither of them solve the issue of the ride quality, then i can also consider the MMG 3' lift.
Any suggestions?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th November 2023 at 14:23. Reason: Quote content trimmed
Enthusiast 1212 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks