Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2023, 17:40   #4846
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Hello,
I was checking the latest prices of the Thar. Found the LX (P) RWD AT listing has been removed. I also double checked from my phone but could not find it. Is the (P) RWD AT not being offered anymore. I did see the diesel RWD models being offered as is on the website.
Thanks - naj
Please do check once with the dealership as well. I understand they have more options to book than what it shows on end user side.
I had similar confusion when I booked White P AT RWD with dealership although this option was not there on the booking portal for end users.

Although, I discovered that even blazing bronze colour option was available on dealer portal
Old 31st October 2023, 18:54   #4847

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprao View Post
Here's the tank full to tank full result today...

Distance covered - 195.1 kms ( 50% AC)
Average speed - 70 kmph
MID mileage - 16.0 kmpl
Actual mileage - 13.9 kmpl
Those are some great numbers. I was recently on a highway trip of around 600kms up and down and I got the chance to experience both sides of the mStallion’s personality. On the going part of my journey I had planned everything and therefore I was able to fill it up and set it on cruise at around 90 to reach my destination on time. This resulted in a satisfactory mileage figure of around 11.5 (tank to tank). But on my return journey I got delayed and had to start later than what I expected and since I was solo and the sun had set I decided to drive a little bit more enthusiastically to get back home on time and that meant a drastic drop in mileage figures to 7kmpl (also tank to tank) only.

This means the Thar’s mileage reacts heavily upon how its driven, which is something I have experienced for the first time personally as the diesels and mostly Toyotas I am used to did not react that much to how the vehicle is driven. Usually in the Crysta I used to own, a difference of around 1-2kmpl is what I’d get.

Last edited by Axe77 : 31st October 2023 at 18:56. Reason: Spacing and punctuation edits.
Old 31st October 2023, 19:05   #4848
Senior - BHPian

This is not restricted to the Thar's behavior. In general, Turbo petrols are sensitive to the way you drive. Even a Polo GT with 1.2 TSI engine would return low mileage figures if driven enthusiastically. Given this is a 150bhp engine with aerodynamics of a brick, the difference is bit more evident.

Diesels are inherently fuel efficient by nature and turbo diesels if driven in the turbo zone usually return good FE even if they are heavy engines. So you will get used to the turbo petrol behavior pretty soon. If you modulate your throttle properly, you can expect decent FE figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboPetrol150 View Post
This means the Thar’s mileage reacts heavily upon how its driven, which is something I have experienced for the first time personally as the diesels and mostly Toyotas I am used to did not react that much to how the vehicle is driven. Usually in the Crysta I used to own, a difference of around 1-2kmpl is what I’d get.
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2023, 08:36   #4849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
This is not restricted to the Thar's behavior. In general, Turbo petrols are sensitive to the way you drive. Even a Polo GT with 1.2 TSI engine would return low mileage figures if driven enthusiastically. Given this is a 150bhp engine with aerodynamics of a brick, the difference is bit more evident.

Diesels are inherently fuel efficient by nature and turbo diesels if driven in the turbo zone usually return good FE even if they are heavy engines. So you will get used to the turbo petrol behavior pretty soon. If you modulate your throttle properly, you can expect decent FE figures.
Thanks for enlightening on that. I was thinking it was just the Thar that is so sensitive to Throttle inputs. Now that I have lived with it for over 2 years, my right foot has become so sensitive that I can get the max mileage from any vehicle I drive
vprao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 15:31   #4850
BHPian

Hi Fellow Bhpians,

I have recently got a pre owned Sep 22 mfd, Mar23 registered HT D AT Thar with 7500 on the odo. I haven't found any major niggles yet apart from some rattle from the dash.

One major issue I found was that even though the left front door and window is fully closed while driving, if someone overtakes from left then their engine & horn's sound peep in as if door is ajar or windows are opened.

Also I found that auto start stop initiates even when vehicle is brought to a halt in D mode and not in N like manual vehicles. Moreover the whole body shakes like a mobile vibrating when this happens. Others with Auto also facing the same thing ?

Previous owner didnot even get 1st service done, planning to get it done on weekend. Any pointers to be kept in mind for that ?
CA Dhruv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 19:57   #4851

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Hello,
I was checking the latest prices of the Thar. Found the LX (P) RWD AT listing has been removed.
Thanks - naj
I can see it now in Mahindra's website. Seems Mahindra has obtained a new type approval certificate recently for this model only and it was taken down momentarily for some reasons.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-rwd-p-.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-rwd-p-tac.jpg
Ragu_Durai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 10:31   #4852
BHPian

Hi folks, has anyone here downsized from the stock 18inch tyres to 16inchers with 245 tyres that come on the AX variant ? I've been toying with this idea.

Mine is a 2021 D AT and I've been running the stock tyres till now for 33k kms and have had the AVO suspension for almost 1.5 years now. However since the last 6 months I can feel that the ride has become quite choppy which it definitely wasn't before. After checking in with a few other thar owners, it seems the stock MRF tyres have just hardened (I tried changing the tyre pressure between 32 and 30, it didn't help much).

Now I've been considering downsizing to the AX variant wheels with 245/75r16 tyres which have taller sidewalls. I don't want to upsize the current wheels to 265 because they already rub with the control arm on full lock ( wheel alignment hasn't fixed it and M&M folks say thats just how it is).

Since the AX variant always came with 245 section tyres as stock, I'm assuming that the Thar would have no issues with the size. I'm trying to find good 16inch alloys now, it seems m2all is down and mahindra did have special 16inchers for the Thar.

Any alternate suggestions would be appreciated.
Turbolove is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 11:18   #4853
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolove View Post
Hi folks, has anyone here downsized from the stock 18inch tyres to 16inchers with 245 tyres that come on the AX variant ? I've been toying with this idea.
Any alternate suggestions would be appreciated.
Downsizing wheels is the cheapest way to improve ride quality. I know someone from Kumaun Off-roaders Club in Uttarakhand who did this right out of the showroom and seemed pretty satisfied with it. Although he went for M/T tyres, the ride quality improved. Here's a Bhpian with a similar setup-
https://www.team-bhp.com/news/my-202...l-observations
Amrit@wheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 11:40   #4854
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Mine is a 2021 D AT and I've been running the stock tyres till now for 33k kms and have had the AVO suspension for almost 1.5 years now. However since the last 6 months I can feel that the ride has become quite choppy which it definitely wasn't before. After checking in with a few other thar owners, it seems the stock MRF tyres have just hardened (I tried changing the tyre pressure between 32 and 30, it didn't help much).
Replace with the same size, the stock tyres are generally good for 30-40K, sometimes less depends on where it has been. Reducing tyre pressure is not going to help, it would only make everything worse. You may want to inspect the suspension dampers to see if there are any leaks, It was mentioned in one of the earlier posts.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 13:44   #4855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks, has anyone here downsized from the stock 18inch tyres to 16inchers with 245 tyres that come on the AX variant ?
Now I've been considering downsizing to the AX variant wheels with 245/75r16 tyres which have taller sidewalls. I don't want to upsize the current wheels to 265 because they already rub with the control arm on full lock ( wheel alignment hasn't fixed it and M&M folks say thats just how it is).

Since the AX variant always came with 245 section tyres as stock, I'm assuming that the Thar would have no issues with the size. I'm trying to find good 16inch alloys now,

Mine is also a Feb 2021 AT HT LX Petrol and is running AVO and stock Ceat Czar tyres. I ve done 26400 kms. Ive also ‘aired down’ to 28 PsI and despite my tpms being perpetually displeased and red and showing that warning sign, the ‘air down’ definitely makes a difference overall.

But then I note that my Thar skitters and jumps and transmits all the seams and irregularities and bumps that it encounters on these concrete ‘white topped’ roads in Bangalore and also on the Bangalore-Kolar- Palamaner- Madras highway which is also largely made of concrete. On tarmac the vehicle behaves as it should.

It is definitely a nice idea to go and see if 5 steel wheels are available and if 5 of those 245/75/16 tyres are also available. There is absolutely no doubt that the higher sidewalls of these tyres will improve the ride quality.

I have driven my friend’s Petrol MT AX Thar in Coorg which has these tyres on and the whole behaviour and set up and stance and handling is definitely better because it is set lower and the ride is much more cushioned than the Thar LX with the 18 inch wheels and 255/60/18 sized tyres.

One thing in your post came as a surprise to me. You say that your Thar stock MRF tyres foul with the control arm on full lock. This is something that I have not experienced in my Thar. Can you elaborate? If possible with some photos?

Thanks!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 3rd November 2023 at 13:58.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 14:14   #4856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Replace with the same size, the stock tyres are generally good for 30-40K
This is the cheapest and my last resort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Ive also ‘aired down’ to 28 PsI and despite my tpms being perpetually displeased and red and showing that warning sign, the ‘air down’ definitely makes a difference overall.

One thing in your post came as a surprise to me. You say that your Thar stock MRF tyres foul with the control arm on full lock. This is something that I have not experienced in my Thar. Can you elaborate? If possible with some photos?
I recently had done a roundtrip from NCR to Udaipur. When the pressure was 32, the tyre temp hovered around 35C after driving for a few hours in the day, I later tried 28psi and the tyre temp went up to 42C as per the TPMS. So that made me a bit cautious, I know tyre temps can comfortably exceed 50C as I've seen during summer heat drives, however this made me a bit wary.

I currently don't have pics with me of the tyre fouling, however I've seen it with a few 2020-21 Thars (though not all have it) and its just minor rubbing happening against the member, nothing major, however I fear it might become worse if I were to upsize to 265 tyres on the current rims. I will share pics the next time I go for wheel balancing.
Old 3rd November 2023, 16:43   #4857
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I recently had done a roundtrip from NCR to Udaipur. When the pressure was 32, the tyre temp hovered around 35C after driving for a few hours in the day, I later tried 28psi and the tyre temp went up to 42C as per the TPMS. So that made me a bit cautious, I know tyre temps can comfortably exceed 50C as I've seen during summer heat drives, however this made me a bit wary.
That is a good instinct, here is something to read.

Ford and Firestone

Remember your tire needs air inside it to carry the load, it's ability to carry the load depends on the air pressure inside. When you decrease the air pressure, you decrease the ability to carry the load safely.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 15:51   #4858
naj
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragu_Durai View Post
I can see it now in Mahindra's website. Seems Mahindra has obtained a new type approval certificate recently for this model only and it was taken down momentarily for some reasons.

Attachment 2525137

Attachment 2525138
Good Day Ragu,
Thanks, can see that now and it’s with additional white color which was discontinued for a short time. Thanks for sharing.
Naj.
Old 4th November 2023, 22:20   #4859
BHPian

Can someone please tell me from where can I get Fuel branded alloys for my Thar in Mumbai?
TIA
Old 5th November 2023, 23:28   #4860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
But then I note that my Thar skitters and jumps and transmits all the seams and irregularities and bumps that it encounters on these concrete ‘white topped’ roads in Bangalore and also on the Bangalore-Kolar- Palamaner- Madras highway which is also largely made of concrete. On tarmac the vehicle behaves as it should.
I am contemplating going for Avo and its usefulness (wrt claimed improved suspension) and robustness say when taken to Spiti/off road etc.
I am still recovering from prolapsed cervical and lumber disc so need better ride quality.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks