Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2023, 22:39   #4831
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Was this happening with luggage or without luggage in the boot?
No, this was happening without any luggage.

But i remember the first time this happened i had luggage in the boot and it was tightly shut against the latch mechanism. It is possible that this caused some misalignment and then it started jamming without luggage also.

Another theory is, i had a rather deep dirty water crossing with the Thar few months back and it is possible that water entered the boot latch system while exiting the water hole and ruined the lubrication there.

Anyway after the service so far no issues, but fingures crossed

Last edited by ak10 : 21st October 2023 at 22:42. Reason: typo fixed
ak10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 13:18   #4832
BHPian

Installed Ultimate9 EVC-X Throttle Controller

Switchable driving modes is something I’ve always wanted on the Thar. Mahindra could’ve easily offered this feature, especially considering that its already available on their other SUV’s. The Thar’s poor fuel efficiency has been discussed so very often on this thread; this issue could’ve been addressed (to an extent) with the simple addition of an Eco mode. I’m sure that owners of the petrol automatic Thar (like myself) would welcome such a feature with open arms.

In search of an alternate solution, I’ve been long waiting for a reliable tune/remap for the petrol Thar (with switchable maps), and that’s when I came across shankar.balan’s thread https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...er-review.html (EVCX Ultimate 9 Throttle Enhancer Review) (big thanks for this!) regarding this neat little throttle controller by ultimate9. Based on his feedback & multiple reviews online, It seemed to offer exactly what I’ve been looking for. I decided to contact Ajit @TapaswiRacing (official importer for this product) to get further details on the ultimate9 evc. Ajit was kind enough to answer all my queries regarding this product, after which he connected me with his distributor in Mumbai (Shrey @Matt&Gloss).

Ultimate9 has two throttle controllers on offer, the evc & the evcX. The evcX offers a few additional features (as explained in the below image) so I decided to go ahead with this and purchased it from Matt&Gloss last weekend.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20231023-1.11.23-pm.jpeg

The installation is supposedly a DIY process which involves connecting the module between the throttle cable and the ECU. I preferred getting this done by the professionals at Matt&Gloss for added peace of mind. After this a display/controller module is placed on the dashboard at a suitable position, we decided to fix it on the blank switches above the start-stop switch. After waiting for 10 minutes, Shrey paired my phone with the evcX via bluteooth using the ultimate9 application and then we went ahead for a quick spin to test the device and to experience the various modes. Right away the difference in throttle response felt like night and day! The below screenshot taken from the ultimate9 app shows the various modes on offer:
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20231023-1.12.05-pm.jpeg

Whether I'm looking for a more aggressive ultiamate mode or a relaxed eco mode, this device delivers an instant transition to suit my requirement. The switch between modes can be done on the fly using the smartphone app or from the little display/controller module (I prefer using the smartphone app as it is more convenient). Being able to fine-tune the throttle sensitivity to my personal preference adds a level of control I never knew I was missing. The response time is significantly reduced, and the acceleration feels smoother and more immediate.

I look forward to testing this device out across various driving situations, especially the eco mode (which has 9 levels of adjustments for intensity!) for any possible gains in fuel economy & the anti-slip mode in off-road conditions. Super happy with this spontaneous upgrade!

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20231023-1.12.59-pm.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20231023-1.13.00-pm.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20231023-1.13.00-pm-1.jpeg

Last edited by Nair.V8 : 23rd October 2023 at 13:22.
Nair.V8 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 26th October 2023, 11:17   #4833
Senior - BHPian

Has anybody here tried to connect the Bluesense app to their Thar? Just wanted to know how to get it working. And if yes how good is it?

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_1899.png
Old 26th October 2023, 12:49   #4834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboPetrol150 View Post
Guys what sort of mileage are you able to get from your petrol Thars? Mine is a Petrol Manual and I am able to get around 7-8(not MID figures) even in city traffic with a bit of patience (not very high but moderate city traffic) in Delhi and I expect it to go up to at least 10kmpl+ on highway runs even with a bit of enthusiastic driving.
Mine is a Petrol Manual too. On highways, I put cruise control on 80 kmph (6th gear) and I get around 13-14 kmpl. On one occasion (very less traffic) with cruise control on 70 kmph (6th gear) I got a whooping 17.3 kmpl (55 kms). Majority would argue that it is impossible to drive like this. I agree and I would have also scoffed at any review like this before I bought my Thar. However, I sort of enjoy riding like this now (thanks to Thar). Start early, put cruise control on 80 kmph, relax and enjoy the journey. No rush whatsoever. This philosophy works wonders when you are not driving as well.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20231007_064916.jpg
vprao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2023, 13:09   #4835
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprao View Post
Mine is a Petrol Manual too. On highways, I put cruise control on 80 kmph (6th gear) and I get around 13-14 kmpl. On one occasion (very less traffic) with cruise control on 70 kmph (6th gear) I got a whooping 17.3 kmpl (55 kms). Majority would argue that it is impossible to drive like this. I agree and I would have also scoffed at any review like this before I bought my Thar. However, I sort of enjoy riding like this now (thanks to Thar). Start early, put cruise control on 80 kmph, relax and enjoy the journey. No rush whatsoever. This philosophy works wonders when you are not driving as well.

Attachment 2521917

While your philosophy is definitely sensible. I would request if you can do the tankful to tankful method of calculation because this Thar MID is very optimistic and cannot be said to be really accurate.
Old 26th October 2023, 17:57   #4836
BHPian

I agree with you @shankar.balan. I tried the tank full to tank full method once but found that the cut off sensor of the fuel nozzle isn't very reliable. If there's too much air inside the tank, it cuts off prematurely giving wrong readings. And I have read that it is not a good idea to fill up to the brim. On an average, I have found a deviation of around 1 kmpl from the MID readings from my observations so far. I guess the 17.3 kmpl could be an over optimistic reading though.
Old 27th October 2023, 10:23   #4837
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Has anybody here tried to connect the Bluesense app to their Thar? Just wanted to know how to get it working. And if yes how good is it?

*SNIP*
Yes I have. I mean, tried. Many times. Just does not want to connect. Says Bluetooth not connecting. All lies. Useless implementation of what could probably be a decent app.

Service centre folk too have tried, and given up, blaming the phone.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 12:26   #4838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Yes I have. I mean, tried. Many times. Just does not want to connect. Says Bluetooth not connecting. All lies. Useless implementation of what could probably be a decent app.

Service centre folk too have tried, and given up, blaming the phone.

Cheers
Thanks for this. I thought I was the only one who couldn't connect to the app. I guess its a universal issue.
Old 28th October 2023, 17:33   #4839
naj
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hello,
I was checking the latest prices of the Thar. Found the LX (P) RWD AT listing has been removed. I also double checked from my phone but could not find it. Is the (P) RWD AT not being offered anymore. I did see the diesel RWD models being offered as is on the website.
Thanks - naj

Last edited by naj : 28th October 2023 at 17:34.
Old 28th October 2023, 23:01   #4840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Hello,
I was checking the latest prices of the Thar. Found the LX (P) RWD AT listing has been removed. I also double checked from my phone but could not find it. Is the (P) RWD AT not being offered anymore. I did see the diesel RWD models being offered as is on the website.
Thanks - naj
I had booked LX (P) RWD Petrol AT in Jul and got delivery in Oct. I was somewhat lucky, but there are very few Petrol deliveries happening. Now expected delivery timelines have also increased a lot from earlier 8-10 weeks. I suggest you to check with local dealership and book there.
Old 29th October 2023, 16:17   #4841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
While your philosophy is definitely sensible. I would request if you can do the tankful to tankful method of calculation because this Thar MID is very optimistic and cannot be said to be really accurate.
Here's the tank full to tank full result today...

Distance covered - 195.1 kms ( 50% AC)
Average speed - 70 kmph
MID mileage - 16.0 kmpl
Actual mileage - 13.9 kmpl

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20231029wa0004.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20231029wa0003.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20231029wa0005.jpg
vprao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 00:22   #4842
BHPian

Hi Team, I came across a paid article, supposedly having insights on how the new Thar was envisaged. Does anyone have this article's content/snippets?

A Goa meeting, then four years of scrupulous work: how M&M built a game changer called the new Thar- https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...0.cms?from=mdr
AMG1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 00:34   #4843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboPetrol150 View Post
Guys what sort of mileage are you able to get from your petrol Thars? Mine is a Petrol Manual and I am able to get around 7-8(not MID figures) even in city traffic with a bit of patience (not very high but moderate city traffic) in Delhi and I expect it to go up to at least 10kmpl+ on highway runs even with a bit of enthusiastic driving.
8 seems like a great figure. I'm in Mumbai and I only get around 5.5-6kmpl in the city and max got 8.5kmpl on the highway. I also drive a petrol manual and it's been bothering me a lot how low my figures are. Considering auto petrol owners seem to get more. I sadly do not know what to do about this
ravishankr89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 00:39   #4844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Im certainly no saint. But here are some two bits in case anyone is interested.

In my Thar, I drive around or within the 110 mark on highways and use cruise control a great deal. Whether in city or highways I dont ‘stomp’ and stay ‘stomped’. I use the gentle acceleration and deceleration method because it is just much better for the vehicle and the comfort of those within. Plus it has aerodynamics like a square-block so there is no point in trying to do high speeds or harsh acceleration sprints in it. For the 120kmph kind of drives best use a more suitable car.
Whatever it is, for what it is worth, with the correct driving technique, correct loading of vehicle and correct tyre pressures, along with proper care and maintenance, the Thar (petrol or diesel) will return reasonable mileage.
Yes, I also love the ‘whoosh’ of acceleration that the Thar gives and do indulge this once in a while, but that burns gas big time. So with the addition of the throttle controller/ enhancer which I just installed a couple days ago and wrote about on a separate thread, I believe the mileage may improve a little because the overall efficiencies of transmission of impulses to the ECU has improved. I will test it over time and then share findings.
How's the throttle controller working? Any improvement on the mileage? And more details on the throttle controller? Cost? Brand? I have been trying to research the windbooster for petrol but couldn't find much.
Old 30th October 2023, 05:43   #4845
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravishankr89 View Post
How's the throttle controller working? Any improvement on the mileage? And more details on the throttle controller? Cost? Brand? I have been trying to research the windbooster for petrol but couldn't find much.
There is a separate thread on the EVCX Throttle controller. Better take this conversation there.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks