Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2023, 14:14   #4786
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto spawn View Post
Mine will be the AX variant that comes with 16 inch wheels, so was planning on upgrading them to the 18’s on LX variant as of now.
What width are the 16" steel wheels and if you could help with getting the details on offset?
Old 29th September 2023, 17:08   #4787

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
Finally decided to go ahead with BFG KO2 , 265/60/R18 after 45K kms with Ceat Czars!

Steering has become surprisingly lighter, handling has improved many folds and a little bit of extra road noise as compared the stock ones.

Over all very happy with the new tyres, total damage is 21.5K per tyre with balancing and alignment paid extra.

The over all stance has completely changed and looks great for me.

Thanks for all the suggestion guys!
I have been contemplating this change. Got the THAR Petrol RWD last night.
Is the tyre upgrade worth it? Does the steering become lighter significantly in the city drive?

Any other change did you notice now that you have it for sometime. Did you also consider the Yokohama Geolandar AT 275/60/18 tyres? I am confused between the BFG and the above.. any thoughts?

Appreciate your inputs.. and apologies for bombarding you with so many questions
Old 2nd October 2023, 14:09   #4788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragu_Durai View Post
Mahindra is intentionally showing longer waiting times to make us feel higher than actual demand but delivering vehicle earlier.
I called the customer service today, and they gave me an estimated delivery date of June 2025, whereas the docket says February 2025!
Although the customer service rep did mention that the car can be allotted earlier once production is ramped up.
Old 7th October 2023, 16:48   #4789
BHPian

Absolutely Horrible Experience At PPS Thanissandra!

So after a great two year experience with the Thar, I had the inevitable pebble hitting the windshield and cracking it. Having seen this happen to many friends and fellow owners of the Thar I wasn’t too bothered and went to PPS Thanisandra for a replacement.
What followed was an absolutely horrible experience. I am sharing this to ensure that all team bhp folks can understand the level of service these guys really provide.

DAY 1.
I checked in advance about the part availability and reached at 10 am sharp at the service station.

They inspected the car and everything was smooth and business as usual.
I was told to come back the next day and promised that the car would be ready.

DAY 2.
This is where the goof ups start. The car was dirty, the windshield was covered in sticker marks, the inside was covered with glass dust.
I wasn’t expecting the car to be cleaned but at least the mirror should have been cleaned I thought.

Never mind, I needed the car and so quickly began inspecting the windshield. To be honest, I thought that it would be a useless exercise because they are experts and would have obviously checked this out right? Wrong! There was a crack, around 6 inches long on the left side of the windshield!
I called the service manager, Brijesh who admitted it’s a goof up from their side and promised me a new windshield if I could come the next day. Having no choice, I acquiesced.

DAY 3.
I followed up with Mr. Brijesh through the day and was promised that I can collect the car post cleaning at 4 pm. At two when I called to understand the status, I was told that "its been put in wash". I reached the service station at 4 and to my surprise my Thar wasn’t anywhere in the washing bay. I looked around and saw my car still in the dusty side lane with tape all over the windshield.
There was no one in charge around. Repeated calls to Mr. Brijesh were unanswered. On making some noise around the situation, finally the car was put for wash. One "Mr. Harry" who was supposedly in charge was conveniently missing whenever any work had to happen and would only come and offer useless advice once work would start. He gave me the impression of the captain of the ship who is pretending that he knows his way around the sails and masts.
All the while the employees did not even have the basic courtesy to offer a glass of water.
I am writing this as I stand at the service station watching the car being washed. I have no doubt that had I not raised the issue, I would still be sitting in the waiting room and my Thar would be in the dusty sideline.
I am extremely upset about the whole "service" at this station and it will be the last time I patronise them.

Please use this place at your own risk, especially the body shop centre.
Kapany is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2023, 09:44   #4790
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Following the advice of my good friend Mr Bibendum90949 I have reduced my Thar’s tyre pressures for city driving from 30 to 28. Mahindra somehow recommends 32 psi but to me that is too high.

With this further reduction to 28 psi the ride has become even less bumpy than it was at 30.

Mind you my Thar is already much more comfy than the stock OEM one because of the AVO suspension which is serving me well. So this 28 psi is only adding to the comfort.

The only irritant is that now the warning light is permanently on, as regards the tyre pressure. The TPMS does not understand the variation.

This, in my opinion is an oversight and I had brought it to the notice of some authorities at M&M after purchasing my Thar.

In many situations during off road work such as rock crawling and so on, it is required to ‘air down’ and ifbthe TPMS is not able to re adjust itself and keeps throwing the warning light that is an issue which definitely deserves recognition and rectification.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 8th October 2023 at 10:05.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2023, 11:49   #4791

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I have reduced my Thar’s tyre pressures for city driving from 30 to 28. Mahindra somehow recommends 32 psi but to me that is too high.

With this further reduction to 28 psi the ride has become even less bumpy than it was at 30.
I am also running 28 from last 1 year with stock suspension. Ride is much smoother than 32 or even 30. It works best for both highway rides and off-road sessions on mountains.

Though there is obviously room for improvement, hence thinking of upgrading the suspension to Avo. Will see how much improvement can it bring on top of it.

My only question is that, with Avo shockers is coil spring upgrade a worth; considering my vehicle is stock and no plans to add more weight to it in terms of metal bumpers or roof-racks?

I have read somewhere that coil spring upgrade is worthwhile only when more weight is added to the stock vehicle. Any help on this point is highly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 8th October 2023, 17:02   #4792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairagi_virus View Post
I
My only question is that, with Avo shockers is coil spring upgrade a worth; considering my vehicle is stock and no plans to add more weight to it in terms of metal bumpers or roof-racks?

I have read somewhere that coil spring upgrade is worthwhile only when more weight is added to the stock vehicle. Any help on this point is highly appreciated.

Thanks.
Never been one for half measures, so I upgraded the whole thing. AVO gives four adjustable dampers. And a pair of rear coils. The stock front coils are retained. Ive found that on full load and long distance the ride is much more comfortable and the vehicle also feels much more planted around those long curves etc. Confidence boost.
Comfort boost. Good investment overall as per my experience over the last 2 years of use.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2023, 22:20   #4793
BHPian

I'm in the market for a pair of rock sliders (functional stuff) for my Thar. When I look at US websites, everything is prices to the north of 1000usd. But our Indian guys such as Prad4x4 and Bimbra4x4 have rock sliders from 10K INR. This leaves me with two questions. 1) are the US ones simply overpriced because folks there have a lot of money to throw? 2) are our stuff really good? I mean, will it cave in at the first hit of a rock? Or do they really hold we'll?

Experienced folks here, looking forward to your comments.
Old 9th October 2023, 01:43   #4794
BHPian

My journey to somehow get my mileage to increase is still on. I drive a petrol MT thar and my city mileage is at a horrible 5.8-6.7kmpl. Mind you 6.7kmpl is the max I have got. Even on the highway, I have only got 8kmpl. I don't push the engine at all. I drive pretty sedated. It's bothersome as friends who have auto petrols are getting 7+.

Recently, I was advised by a friend to do 2 things.
1) Install windbooster throttle controller which has an eco mode. That should improve mileage
2) Install a K&N air filter

Has anybody made these changes? Has it been helpful?
Experts, what's your take??
ravishankr89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 05:50   #4795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidbeard View Post
I'm in the market for a pair of rock sliders (functional stuff) for my Thar. When I look at US websites, everything is prices to the north of 1000usd. But our Indian guys such as Prad4x4 and Bimbra4x4 have rock sliders from 10K INR. This leaves me with two questions. 1) are the US ones simply overpriced because folks there have a lot of money to throw? 2) are our stuff really good? I mean, will it cave in at the first hit of a rock? Or do they really hold we'll?

Experienced folks here, looking forward to your comments.
For your Mahindra Thar, go and ask the Mahindra Accessories folks for a pair of the steel tubular foot steps that they were offering as an accessory for the AX model. These are relatively inexpensive at some Rs 10 or 12K. They look good, are very strong and can easily do the job. (See pic of Black Thar below)

Alternatively, here is another option. Before I realised this I had purchased these steel
Side steps from Arka. I can vouch for the fact that they are solid because I have come into contact once, with a stone and cement structure which I didn’t notice properly as I was looking for traffic coming from the right side while I was turning left and which I just demolished with the side steps. Arka costs about 22-24K the pair. (See pic of these side steps on my Thar below)
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_9725.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_5862.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_5864.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_5867.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_5861.jpg  

Old 9th October 2023, 07:13   #4796
BHPian

Quote:

Alternatively, here is another option. Before I realised this I had purchased these steel
Side steps from Arka. I can vouch for the fact that they are solid because I have come into contact once, with a stone and cement structure which I didn’t notice properly as I was looking for traffic coming from the right side while I was turning left and which I just demolished with the side steps. Arka costs about 22-24K the pair. (See pic of these side steps on my Thar below)
Thanks. Do you know the steel gauge or wall thickness of these?
Also thanks, I'll call the Mahindra folks and check too.

Quote:
For your Mahindra Thar, go and ask the Mahindra Accessories folks for a pair of the steel tubular foot steps that they were offering as an accessory for the AX model. These are relatively inexpensive at some Rs 10 or 12K. They look good, are very strong and can easily do the job. (See pic of Black Thar below)

Is this also bolted to the chassis, or to the body?

Last edited by benbsb29 : 9th October 2023 at 07:33. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts.
Old 9th October 2023, 08:01   #4797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidbeard View Post
Thanks. Do you know the steel gauge or wall thickness of these?
Also thanks, I'll call the Mahindra folks and check too.

Is this also bolted to the chassis, or to the body?
I suggest get in touch with Vinay Thomas - 96111-30954 and ask him. He is the Mahindra Adventure chap and also helps install all these ARKA accessories like the Aluminium Underbody Protection and side steps and all. I got all my stuff done by his team. He is in Bangalore.
Old 11th October 2023, 16:40   #4798
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, there is small strip above the door to divert rain water coming down from the roof. Is this a separate piece or is it part of the roof panel ?

Name:  Tharrain gutter.png
Views: 506
Size:  411.4 KB

Last edited by condor : 11th October 2023 at 17:05.
Old 11th October 2023, 17:27   #4799
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Guys, there is small strip above the door to divert rain water coming down from the roof. Is this a separate piece or is it part of the roof panel ?

Attachment 2516423
Should be part of the door itself from a parts perspective - order it at ASC, it you`ll get a call when it arrives. Or you could order from any spare parts shop.

Boodmo
Old 11th October 2023, 17:49   #4800
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I think that's a different part. Pls check:

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-rain-water-channel-thar.png

The one I am asking about should have been listed as part of the hard top roof, but not finding the listings for the roof (yet).

Another pic:

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thardoor-channel.jpg

Last edited by condor : 11th October 2023 at 17:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks