Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2023, 20:15   #4756

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Came across the recent spied Interiors of the new 5 door Thar. Bigger infotainment screen, steering wheel similar to XUV700, Armrest, grab handles on A pillar seem to be the changes. Wonder if any of the upgrades are backwards compatible with the 3 door Thar.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-tharinteriorfeatured.jpg

5 door Thar Interiors

https://www.cartoq.com/upcoming-mahi...urface-online/
g_shyam is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 11:00   #4757
BHPian

Oh lord. Steering should be backward compatible. If it isn't they should do something about the present one atleast.

Mine is 2022 model and have replaced steering under warranty once as it had started to shed its skin.

This is the replacement one. Just see how shabby it is. I'm pretty sure even Maruti has better quality.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-1.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-2.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-3.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-4.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-5.jpg
batish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 12:51   #4758
BHPian

Is it true that the AX has a significantly lower waiting as opposed to the LX trim?
I took a test drive of the Thar LX and this is what my dealer told me. He said demand is much lesser for the AX. He also added that I might have to wait for more than a year for the LX.
Can anyone from Mumbai confirm on this please?
Old 18th September 2023, 13:00   #4759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto spawn View Post
Is it true that the AX has a significantly lower waiting as opposed to the LX trim?
I took a test drive of the Thar LX and this is what my dealer told me. He said demand is much lesser for the AX. He also added that I might have to wait for more than a year for the LX.
Can anyone from Mumbai confirm on this please?
Are you buying the 4x2 or 4x4? The 4x2 does have long waiting periods. The 4x4s are more easily available but in recent heard that demand has gone up for them again too.
Dippy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 15:28   #4760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Are you buying the 4x2 or 4x4? The 4x2 does have long waiting periods. The 4x4s are more easily available but in recent heard that demand has gone up for them again too.
Sorry for not being clear. I was referring to the 4x2 that I plan on buying

Last edited by Auto spawn : 18th September 2023 at 15:29. Reason: Typo
Old 18th September 2023, 16:35   #4761

I have booked the 4x2 Petrol in June first week. The Mahindra customer service has given me a date in Feb 2024! I don't know what to make out of it. Either they are really pressed for chips / auto engine import or they are just throttling to improve the 4x4 sales. My dealer is saying he's got "Zero" black petrol AT since then. Its either been other colors or some other variant.

If you really need a THAR please go ahead and book it right away to get into the queue.
netbramha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 23:59   #4762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDonGogoi View Post

Problem with my Thar

I would be happy to receive any advice or insights about what this issue might be and how big of a problem it is. I would also be happy to provide more information, details or specifics about the issue if required.
Hi! TheDonGogoi.

I believe the issue you are facing is due to low MLD fluid. I remember Thar having MLD in initial batches. The sound you are trying to explain is something like a huge metallic clunky noise we hear in old buses and trucks with damaged transmission systems. We owned a TUV300 from 2016-2020 and we had MLD installed by Mahindra for Free Of Cost due to rear wheel traction issues on TUV300. The MLD kit would come with oil pre-filled from factory. I requested the Mahindra dealer at my place to check for MLD fluid after installing MLD but they said it isn't required.

Whenever the SUV was on a slope with the steering turned to one side if we tried to accelerate to move forward in 1st gear the TUV would emanate a loud clunky noise (like metal to metal hitting), the sound could be more easily reproduced on a slope with wheels turned to one direction with the car at an angle in reverse gear and rear tyres on uneven surface. Finally it was found out to be low fluid in rear differential. To confirm if this sound is actually from MLD all you need to do is to place the car at a slight angle so that the weight shifts to one side and one of the rear tyre is in a small pit or undulation while the other rear tyre is on a normal surface and accelerate forward or backward and you should hear a clunk, when the weight balance is off and one of the tyre is in an undulation the MLD will get locked and you should hear this clunk with low MLD fluid whereas with sufficient fluid this sound wouldn't emanate.

Since your car is a 4wd I had suggest you to check front and rear differential fluid. I think a fluid top up should sort out these noises. Please request your MASS to check for all 4WD system fluids and top up accordingly.

Last edited by Eddy : 19th September 2023 at 00:20. Reason: Spacing for better readability
AutoYogi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 01:47   #4763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbramha View Post
I have booked the 4x2 Petrol in June first week. The Mahindra customer service has given me a date in Feb 2024! I don't know what to make out of it. Either they are really pressed for chips / auto engine import or they are just throttling to improve the 4x4 sales. My dealer is saying he's got "Zero" black petrol AT since then. Its either been other colors or some other variant.

If you really need a THAR please go ahead and book it right away to get into the queue.
Glad that you’re ahead of me by one year
That’s right, I booked the 4x2 diesel Thar today and that’s what I got from Mahindra, estimated date of delivery: February 2025
On a serious note, you should be getting your vehicle earlier since you’ve chosen a petrol powered Thar. Have you checked with other dealers in your city?
Old 19th September 2023, 04:25   #4764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Oh lord. Steering should be backward compatible. If it isn't they should do something about the present one atleast.

Mine is 2022 model and have replaced steering under warranty once as it had started to shed its skin.

This is the replacement one. Just see how shabby it is. I'm pretty sure even Maruti has better quality.
I encountered a similar problem and opted for leather wrapping on the steering wheel. However, I concur with your assessment regarding the quality—it's not up to par.

Mine is also a 2022 Jan Model.
Old 19th September 2023, 09:37   #4765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
opted for leather wrapping on the steering wheel. However, I concur with your assessment regarding the quality—it's not up to par.

Mine is also a 2022 Jan Model.
I was also planning for the same. Different types of textures were confusing me so had to postpone it a bit.
I think it is the only solution to this problem.

Will update once I get it done.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 12:59   #4766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDonGogoi View Post

Problem with my Thar

Hello guys I am a proud owner of a September 2022 Thar Petrol Manual Hard Top and I am facing an issue with my car. My car makes a noise from the rear after running for a while say 60kms or about one hour of driving at highway speeds, it sounds like some metal parts rubbing against each other. At first I thought it was due some part touching the ground but that is not the case, also the noise is coming only from the rear it also happens when i am reversing with the steering wheel turned at a high angle. The way to replicate the noise is to drive the car around for about 1 hour or 40-60kms at mid to high speeds and then when I accelerate from say 1st or 2nd gear with the steering turned it makes the sound, during hard acceleration its almost a knocking sound and I can feel it in the steering. The noise wont occur after the car rests for 30-40mins after which it goes away completely also it does not happen when the steering is straight and when i am at 3rd gear or above in which case the car drives as normal. The problem will not occur in usual city commutes where the running is very less or if the car is driven at low speeds. I am very concerned about what the noise is and if it is drivetrain related apart from this problem my car has no issues. I would be happy to receive any advice or insights about what this issue might be and how big of a problem it is. I would also be happy to provide more information, details or specifics about the issue if required.
Hi

I was an owner of 2022 Thar Petrol MT Hard Top. I was also facing this issue. During 10000 km service I insisted my dealership to look into. They have fitted and refixed the Hard Top and after that I never felt any rattle sound from rear side. Hope this will give a bit of idea and may resolve your case

thanks
vimalvittaladas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 17:21   #4767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto spawn View Post
That’s right, I booked the 4x2 diesel Thar today and that’s what I got from Mahindra, estimated date of delivery: February 2025
Are you referring to the "estimated date of delivery" mentioned in the booking docket you received from Mahindra or you requested this specifically from Mahindra over email/chat?

The date in booking docket is manually filled by dealer while generating the booking. I even had a date in 2099.
The tentative delivery date (as confirmed by Mahindra over email) for my booking that I had done in Jan was mid of August however I received my vehicle in May itself.

Mahindra is artificially playing around with 4x2 waiting times to push customers for 4x4. If they can deliver any 4x4 variant within 2 months now, they will definitely be able to deliver 4x2 also within 6 months maximum but they are intentionally creating longer waiting times for 4x2 diesel.

With the Sep price hike, 4x2 diesel has gone up by another 50k which is now 1.5 lakhs higher than it's launch price during Jan. 4x4 variants have received a hike of only 40k in the same period.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_2023091917051485_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg  

Ragu_Durai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 01:39   #4768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragu_Durai View Post
Mahindra is artificially playing around with 4x2 waiting times to push customers for 4x4. If they can deliver any 4x4 variant within 2 months now, they will definitely be able to deliver 4x2 also within 6 months maximum but they are intentionally creating longer waiting times for 4x2 diesel.
I doubt if this is true. I booked Petrol CT 4x4 in Jun end but dealer is now communicating Dec as new delivery date. Earlier that had mentioned I may get in 2-3 months.

Not sure if they are selling these at a premium to customers who are willing to pay to get ahead in queue.
Old 21st September 2023, 03:47   #4769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragu_Durai View Post
Are you referring to the "estimated date of delivery" mentioned in the booking docket you received from Mahindra or you requested this specifically from Mahindra over email/chat?

The date in booking docket is manually filled by dealer while generating the booking. I even had a date in 2099.
The tentative delivery date (as confirmed by Mahindra over email) for my booking that I had done in Jan was mid of August however I received my vehicle in May itself.

I was referring to the booking docket received from Mahindra on mail. It reads as delivery in 2025, whereas my dealer is promising 6-7 months wait time for the AX 4x2. LX 4x2 he says waiting will go to 13-15 months.

My dealer did mention that 4x4 has low waiting periods now and they can deliver it in 2-3 months. I would’ve gone ahead with this, just that the Thar won’t be really used on long highway/ off-roading drives so doesn’t really make sense getting the 4x4.
Old 21st September 2023, 07:42   #4770
Senior - BHPian

Late delivery dates being committed, I strongly suspect the compulsory implementation of six airbags which was to come into effect but was later relaxed recently?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks