Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2023, 02:21   #4741

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravishankr89 View Post
I am very curious about coil spring buffer kit. Has anyone here tried it? Does it improve ride quality? Would love to know what you guys think about it. Here is a pic of what is on amazon. Costs about 4.5k. Worth it?
Hi Ravishankr89, while I was hunting for a suspension upgrade for my Diesel AT HT 4x4, I tried this setup for couple of days.

I was introduced to Rogerab back in 2016 when I was concerned with low ground clearance of my i20 Diesel and body roll in various situations. The roads were also bad in my locality so I had to find a solution. I didn't want to invest on a suspension upgrade with a lift kit as I was not in a mood to change the stock vehicle, especially when my knowledge for the hardware was not that great.

One fine day I was flipping pages of a well known auto magazine in Hyundai service center while my car was getting serviced, I saw the ad for Rogerab. I instantly called them and they explained all the details. I was convinced and next day I placed the order via Rogerab listing on Amazon. I was amazed to see the performance of the suspension buffers and handling improved very much. Later, I got them installed on my Altroz petrol version and very happy with the performance so far. On both the occasions they costed me ₹7.5K+. But the only drawback is that ride become a bit stiff and that cushioness disappears. But it was a worth tradeoff for me.

Due to awesome experience in the past, I could not hold back myself to try them on my new diesel beast. Another reason is that now the price is almost 60% of the previous cost

I ordered them from Amazon (yet again), and received the package in 3 days (all 4 pieces). I got them installed from the designated shop. My objective was to contain the undulations during highway run and make the ride smoother to an extent. I am running stock tyre setup on AT HT 4x4 diesel version.Till date I am running tyre pressure between 27-29 PSI (top up at 27) and found the ride to be much smoother as compared to recommended 32 PSI or even 30 PSI. I covered almost 16k+ kms with this air pressure setup and never faced any issue so far (keeping a close watch on TPMS readings, specifically on temperature figures).

With Rogerab installed now, I expected drive to be much more smoother and composed as compared to stock setup and 27-29 PSI pressure. I drove for almost 10 km within city before I touched the Delhi-Jaipur highway. The drive felt more composed over broken roads and rough patches within city and my grin is visible from 50mtrs .

But it faded the moment I touched highway and crossed 50kmph. The undulations have increased and I felt losing control past 70kmph on not so smooth highway roads. The suv started behaving like it's running a 20 yrs old suspension setup with no hope to calm down. Maybe due to the long travel in suspension rogerab was not a great fit or something else, I am not sure of the reason. I stopped the vehicle and increased the air pressure to 30 PSI and then 32 PSI to test it out further. The result was the same. Body roll was contained, that was the only good part with Rogerab.

I returned home and connected with Rogerab customer care. They were not sure of the situation and kept telling me that its a good product and played their sales pitch over and over again.

Since I had to travel out of city after placing the order, the wait was for almost 2 weeks to get these installed, tested and connect with customer care. Due to this the testing and return window was already closed

I can only suggest to go for them, if you wish to drive within city for daily commute. Maybe they shall perform differently with upgraded tyres like 265 or 285 mm width, but cant say. Hope this helps.

The ultimate solution is to go with AVO suspension upgrade as other esteemed members of the group had suggested and shared their experience.
bairagi_virus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 22:34   #4742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolove View Post
Hey, I got my suspension and Arka underbody shields from a different person in Hyderabad, will DM you his contact, my experience with him has been quite good.
Could you pls DM me the contact number of the dealer for AVO in Hyderabad. Arka motorsports landline number is unresponsive.
Thanks
yadavsid21 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 22:53   #4743

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairagi_virus View Post
I am running Diesel HT AT 4x4 since Oct 2022 and clocked 17k+ with stock headlamps and Philips H4 Xtreme Vision Pro 150 bulbs (got them installed within a week of purchasing the suv). Throw is decent and I did not faced any issue with them. But recently during night drive and rain spell on Rohtak-Gurgaon highway I found the headlight+fog lamp setup ineffective. Throw will be much better and will be easy on eyes for incoming traffic as well.

Many thanks for your revert and for sharing the contact details for getting it installed. It is very helpful. And I agree, after reading up a bit, even I am not inclined to get the high beam installed and just low beam should be enough for my purposes. One question since I am sure you must've done your research before making the purchase - why did you opt for Aozoom and not others like IPH or AES which also give you the option to choose between different lights and are significantly cheaper. I am asking because 3500-4000 lumes should be helpful during fog that we commonly experience in north India while white light should be good in normal highway driving. Thanks in advance
Old 7th September 2023, 13:01   #4744
BHPian

My 2021 Mahindra Thar LX MT Petrol HT - 29000 Kms Review!

2.5 years, 29000 Kms on the ODO, 2 epic trips to Ladakh and Sikkim from Mangalore (7500 Kms each up and down), and what a ride it has been! I'm as still as happy as I was on the day one of owning this dream vehicle.

How it all started

I had always been a bike guy and cars were just a mode of transport for me and also a means to carry things. However, Jeeps always used to fascinate me and I contemplated buying the Old Thar couple of times. However, shelling out about 11-12 Lakhs for a Jeep seemed little unpractical also considering how family unfriendly the Jeeps are known to be.

2019, I traded by Apache 200 for an Xpulse 200 as the off roading bug bit me quite hard then. I went to some great trails thereafter on my Xpulse. It was a new found joy for me. However, my short height (5'4") and my age (42 then) were acting like deterrents in many of the hard trails. I had a fall too couple of times and it was scary as I mostly ride Solo. It was then it occurred to me that it was high time that I switched to a four wheeler for my future adventures. Bones and spirit certainly don't heal fast at this age.

While the new 2020 Thar had literally taken over India by storm then, it still looked unpractical and foolish of owning a three door jeep as your only vehicle (due to lack of parking space in my apartment). While I used to awe at the every sight of the 2020 Thar on road (especially the red one), I never had the guts to take a test drive of it as I'm a very impulsive buyer and feared I might actually end up buying one!

One day, my brother told me that he might buy the new Thar and asked me to accompany him for the test drive! As fate would have it, while my brother didn't book the vehicle for the obvious practical reasons, it was love at first sight for me and I ended up booking one couple of weeks later!

Petrol or Diesel

My four wheeler then (Ertiga) had run about 35000 Kms in 7 years. Considering my usage, and the difference of about 1.5 lakhs then between a Petrol and Diesel, made me go ahead with the Petrol option. It is one decision that I still debate even today as little did I now that I would slowly do most of my weekend trips on my Thar, instead of my bike. However, at the end of the day, I don't regret my decision as I was never in favor of the DEF systems on the BS6 diesel engines and also the noise levels of Diesels, even though the Thar Diesel is much much refined than others. Even though my driving style is more Diesel like (low speed, low rpms), the present DEF system actually kind of discourage such driving and hence defeats the purpose of owning a Diesel in my opinion.

The Ladakh Trip

In 2019, I and my friends had planned a trip to Ladakh on our bikes. Then Covid struck and everything went for a toss. Subsequently my interest for bikes also slowly started to wane as my body started complaining on the long bike rides and I didn't used to enjoy the trips as much as I used to earlier in my younger days (had been riding bikes since I was 16). Post Covid and in 2021, after I got the delivery of my Thar, the Ladakh dream slowly started to germinate again. It was the perfect timing actually. Even in 2019, when the Ladakh plan was originally made, I was not every confident of making the trip on a bike. It appeared a little too much for me then and back of my mind, I was actually praying that the plan never materialized.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20221103_092005.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20221103_115747.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-temp.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_3343_blurred.jpg

Fast forward, June 2022, 2 Thars, 3 Bikes, 8 people embarked on an epic journey from Mangalore - Leh - Mangalore (7500+ kms/21 days). BTW, the second Thar was my brother's who eventually ended up buying one (Petrol AT) couple of months after I got delivery

Excluding myself, all of them got their vehicles shipped back from Chandigarh during the return journey.

The Sikkim Trip

After the Ladakh trip, I had promised my wife that I'll take her to Ladakh soon in the Thar again. When we were ready to make the trip, she suggested we go north east as I had already seen Ladakh. The Mangalore - Shillong - Sikkim - Mangalore happened this April 2023 (7800+ Kms/27 days).

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_3714raw.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_3761raw.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_3727raw.jpg

My Experience So Far

The Bad

Bouncy Ride - While majority of them complain of the bouncy ride, it never actually bothered me. I was kind of expecting that from a Jeep and coming from a bike background, the drive on a four wheeler was anyways comfortable than a two wheeler. In fact, in both Ladakh and the Sikkim trip, neither my friend nor my wife, complained about the bouncy ride of the Thar. On other hand my friend, who owns an i20, actually commended on the comfort of Thar. Not once during the drive did he complain of any body ache which he says was common on long drives on his i20.

Body Roll - About the body roll, especially in twisty roads, it all depends on the driver and adapting ones driving style. In my 29000 kms of driving, not once did anybody complain of motion sickness in my Thar (rear seats as well). And considering that one cannot roll the rear windows down, I have to be really sensitive to the comfort of my rear passengers as any untoward incident would mean a disaster for me

Fuel Economy - The only thing that keeps bugging me every now and then is the fuel economy. With a very light foot, one can expect around 12-13 kmpl on the highways. In the hills, one can expect arund 9-10 kmpl. While the Ladakh trip returned around 12.5 kmpl, the Sikkim trip returned around 11 kmpl, mostly due to the narrow roads and traffic in West Bengal and North East. However, considering being close to 2 tons and having a 2000cc engine, those economy figures are actually very impressive.

Boot Space - This is another area which keeps bothering me every now and then. Fortunately, we are a small family and most of the times, it is just me and my wife travelling.

Width - I found this especially bothering during our trip to Sikkim. The roads there are very narrow and it was there that I wished I had a narrower car.

The Good

Comfort - While this may be bad for most, I found the comfort levels of Thar amazing. Just like my friend, never once did I feel any body ache in both the Ladakh and Sikkim trips. The seats are amazing and the commanding driving position and the high ground clearance instills next level confidence in you.

Engine - Mahindra has done an amazing job on this engine. The refinement levels is simply amazing. If you are not aware, you actually forget to upshift as the engine barely makes any noise. Often I end up driving in 4th gear thinking I'm in 6th.

Power - The Thar has insane power and torque. The short wheel base coupled with this power, makes a mince meat of any landscape. I have been to places where it might look next to impossible on a first glance. Overtaking on highways is breeze too. At little nudge on the throttle pedal, you can just zip past any vehicle.

The Build - Till now, including both Ladakh and Sikkim trips, I have not had any major breakdowns so far. At about 2000 kms or so, the engine light flashed for a brief period. There was a recall afterward for some addons. Since then, the issue never occurred. The build quality is amazing as well. The Thar still looks as though it has come right out of the showroom. No rattling whatsoever. Of course, there are little squeaks here and there but that is really negligible considering what my Suzuki used to post 30000 Kms.

My Overall Impression

Overall I'm extremely happy with my Thar and don't regret my decision at all. The fuel economy and the 3 doors do bother me every now and then but the sense of freedom to go anywhere you want, the never say die attitude and the killer presence of this vehicle is something that writes off whatever negatives it has.

On a side note, I had booked the Jimny due to these issues but luckily cancelled it after it was launched.
vprao is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 9th September 2023, 12:20   #4745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubingoel View Post
Does anyone know of any Arka Motorsports authorized dealer in Gujarat?
The options are N1 Racing in Bombay and Speed Sport in Delhi.

The other option is to get the suspension set or underbody plates shipped to you, and take their guidance with the help of a good workshop for fitting them on to your vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadavsid21 View Post
Could you pls DM me the contact number of the dealer for AVO in Hyderabad. Arka motorsports landline number is unresponsive.
Thanks
Xenex in Kavuri hills is a dealer IIRC - xenexindia.com
ph03n!x is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2023, 12:28   #4746
Senior - BHPian

Hello folks, i've had few junkets with my Thar, D AT, in the last two months. Just sharing few random pictures

The places I covered includes Valparai, Idukki, Calicut, Coorg, Kudremukh, Somvarpet, Sakhleshpur. Bhpians Tilt, airguitar and cool_dube were part of the KA leg of the trip. The Malanad region of Karnataka was so mesmerizing after the onset of monsoons. We could hit some lovely trails too. Some were quite tough like the one to Shola Heights.

Thar just fared flawlessly. 2100 kms and 9 days, what an incredible machine ! She didn't skip a beat and boy didn't she take it all with aplomb and all of that were thrown at it. The love is just growing !!

And during the course of all this, I surpassed the 15k kms landmark. It stands at 16k now and that's done in just 180 days. Thar is so addictive. I never thought I would do so much of mile munching with it. I've had no issues so far except for a blown fuse, a conked fog lamp bulb and couple of DPF tantrums. Touch Wood !

And the honeymoon continues...and God willing, it's gearing up for a big expedition in December. Now let me allow the pictures to do the talking.

Cheers,
bibendum.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20230909wa0057.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230831_105137.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230831_144515.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230825_084135.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230820_135809.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230820_132456.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230819_145844.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230819_133433.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230818_164226.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230818_102502.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230818_101618.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230818_100913.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230817_183427.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230817_183235.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230817_165412.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230817_162354.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230817_155448.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230817_132444.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230817_132231.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230817_132022.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230817_131507.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230909_114001.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230816_112147.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230909_090741.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230820_104551.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230819_133621.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230819_144632.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230817_121700.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230816_085851.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230820_082334.jpg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 9th September 2023 at 12:57.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 9th September 2023, 21:13   #4747
BHPian

There is price increase declared by Mahindra.. 2% is what I know on few models.. Details may come soon by tomorrow.
Old 10th September 2023, 04:19   #4748
BHPian

Got delivery of 4x2 LX on 4 August. That was my first time sitting in Thar. I had seen no reviews, no videos, not even Team-Bhp review, probably first car ever that I took delivery that I didn't know inside out. All I knew about the car is that it had approximately the same power as 4x4. Dealership installed reverse camera as apparently they didn't want to sell a car without any accessory. Took insurance from them and lost my commission, I didn't make any fuss as they informed me my booking was under price protection, I didn't know that. Price protection saved me around a lakh.

As for the car, it pleasantly surprised me. It had really nice features like TPMS, Instrument cluster lights can be turned off, Sound quality is much nicer than my ex-XUV500. Fuel efficiency was a nice surprise, I get 16 kmpl. My car was delivered with 100% DEF. Headlights have a nice throw, don't have to slow down if any vehicles comes on the opposite side with high beams on. Engine is quite powerful, it reaches cruising speeds easily. No issues in overtaking too.

My service experience with Mahindra was sub-par to say the least when I owned XUV500, so I was dreading the first service. I visit the ASS which is closest to me at 45 km all the others are atleast 100 km away. I called their number available online and it took me 10 calls to schedule appointment as they kept shuffling me to one number to other saying the next one oversees the service. Finally I got the number of SA from them and he scheduled the appointment. When I reached there, most of the people remembered me from my XUV500 ownership, it was a good experience overall. But being used to Toyota service now, I felt I could've been out an hour quicker but still a huge improvement for the better than my XUV days.
I had two concerns, one was condensation in left headlight and a noise while braking that started that morning only. For the noise rear drums were cleaned and the noise disappeared. For the condensation in headlight they said, I had to bring the car with condensation present in headlight and they will replace the light but nothing could be done then. They didn't bother to verify if it was actual problem or not. Overall I was happy as I was out in 4 hours as opposed to whole day that was indicated by SA.
In a month I have driven over 2500 km in Thar. Ride quality is quite good for a jeep but it in comparison it makes our Fortuner appear as though it has a magic carpet ride . I think the thing that makes the most difference is seat shape and fabric. The fabric used for seats is really low quality and rough. Seat shape is quite puzzling too, it is too firm and squab is quite small too. I feel if seats were better, comfort in Thar would increase 10 fold. Can I fit seats from Innova or Crysta without any cutting or welding to floor? As that would solve my only gripe.

Overall it has been a big hit with family, everyone loves it. Only car that can and will replace my Thar would be a 5 door Thar or a Rubicon .
Stolidus500 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 18:12   #4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
The places I covered includes Valparai, Idukki, Calicut, Coorg, Kudremukh, Somvarpet, Sakhleshpur. The Malanad region of Karnataka was so mesmerizing after the onset of monsoons. We could hit some lovely trails too. Some were quite tough like the one to Shola Heights.
Can you please please share some details of your itinerary, I am planning something similar commencing this weekend.

Last edited by graaja : 10th September 2023 at 18:19. Reason: Trimming quoted text. Please quote only a small or relevant part of a post
Old 11th September 2023, 11:16   #4750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasu View Post
I faced exactly the same issue 14 months into my Thar ownership. Battery make is also Amaron. Got the battery checked and it was found to be healthy.
Thankfully the ECM connector was not affected.
Thankfully, mine was fine too.

Quote:
Would suggest removing the battery plastic tray and checking the underside metal frame as well. The battery plastic tray was found to be rubbing against the frame. I have put some foam tape below the plastic tray to mitigate that.
Yes, mine does too. I believe this is a design fault. You can see the scuff marks in the images below. This is after the repaint. Will have to add foam stickers too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Update: Had mailed Mahindra about this issue. Explained them in detail via mail. They redirected and patched me to the CCM.

Gem of a guy. Thorough professional. He asked about the issue, I explained him in detail. Requested him to check the pictures as they were a testimony to the issue. After checking, he realised what the issue was.

I told him what the solution would be as acid had destroyed the paint and it would invariably start rusting.

Gave it on Saturday, got back on Sunday after the resolution.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230910_185845.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230910_185853.jpg

Honestly, I had not expected this level of professionalism from Mahindra. Kudos Mahindra!

Last edited by batish : 11th September 2023 at 11:18.
batish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 14:27   #4751
BHPian

Greetings, dear friends,

The Thar undoubtedly tugs at the heartstrings like no other automobile can. While it may not excel as a highway cruiser or a city dweller, given its size and parking challenges, the adoration and fondness showered upon the Thar are truly commendable.

Allow me to introduce you to one of my teammates, Vetri, as he proudly acquires his cherished Thar.

Name:  Screenshot 20230912 at 2.24.02 PM.png
Views: 878
Size:  438.1 KB

Warm regards,
Dev
irdevanand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 10:05   #4752
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thar owners, don't miss Batish's very helpful DIY on fixing the wobbly battery tray - thread link.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 10:27   #4753

After reading so many posts and amazing stories from all the THAR owners I have also booked the Thar 2WD Petrol in Bangalore. Now I booked this 2.5 months back, hoping to get the delivery in a month but to no avail.

I have a small family (1 Kid) but also live my extended family. Now my dilemma is multiplied given the Thar 5 door launch is around the corner. Any idea when would it be launched? Is Jan 26th the date? Should I wait it out?

Thank you everyone for pouring so much into this community. Special kudos to the mods and the entire team-bhp.
Old 14th September 2023, 11:23   #4754

Also did a blunder by selling my 7 year old creta before getting the delivery of the THAR. I got a good buyer & thought the dealer who promised the timely delivery of THAR would live upto their words.. but ALAS!

So the wait is even more agonising.
Old 14th September 2023, 11:52   #4755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbramha View Post
After reading so many posts and amazing stories from all the THAR owners I have also booked the Thar 2WD Petrol in Bangalore. Now I booked this 2.5 months back, hoping to get the delivery in a month but to no avail.

I have a small family (1 Kid) but also live my extended family. Now my dilemma is multiplied given the Thar 5 door launch is around the corner. Any idea when would it be launched? Is Jan 26th the date? Should I wait it out?

Thank you everyone for pouring so much into this community. Special kudos to the mods and the entire team-bhp.
I am in same boat, i have already waited 2 months and CPD date is nov/dec which is 5 months of wait. This is pathetic experience from Mahindra. They are throttling RWD deliveries - Diesel was anyways 18 months and now petrol RWD is also 5 months or more. Dealers are still quoting 2 months of delivery timelines - but dont fulfill promise. I sold my car and now carless for more than 2 months... No amount of escalation even to Mahindra ASM is working for me. Mahindra should be clear with quoted delivery timelines - and not make fool of people who trust them. I am loosing trust in Mahindra - if not for Thar - i would have escalated on social media.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks