Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2023, 12:08   #4711

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Poll Suggestion

Would any of the senior members do a poll to get a better view of the engine and drivetrain variants people have chosen. For example Petrol Manual, Petrol Automatic and Diesel Manual and Automatic. Most or all cars would be LX and Convertible and HardTop options can also be added. I think the Diesel Auto would be the most popular by a large margin with the Petrol Manual(my variant) being the rarest and least popular.
TheDonGogoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 22:17   #4712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Guys! Need your help in here. Had opened bonnet to fill in washer reservoir. Saw this.
Has the battery been ever topped up with distilled water during any PMS?
Old 29th August 2023, 09:15   #4713
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys! Need your help in here. Had opened bonnet to fill in washer reservoir. Saw this.
Please open up the ECB box and check it immediately. In my case the battery acid fumes corroded all the connectors inside the ECM box. I had to replace the ECM and wiring harness. Costs about 60K.

All Thar owners will go through this eventually. It was silly to put the ECM box right next to the battery. I am almost certain Mahindra will have to relocate the ECM box from there.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 09:55   #4714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooming Flower View Post
Has the battery been ever topped up with distilled water during any PMS?
You're spot on sir!

Update: Had visited MASS, they diagnosed this to top up being in excess which AFAIK would have been done during 10k service few months back.

They checked the battery with hydrometer, found it to be good. They removed the excess liquid and sent me off.

This visit to MASS showed me how fed up the customers are from Mahindra. Had met two people, one had XUV700 with 16k on ODO with DPF issues. Second one had some pedal issues and was waiting for pedals since quite some time.

Saw customers who were really frustrated with service staff. This experience was in stark contrast to Hyundai. Didn't imagine Mahindra to be this lethargic.
It took 4 hours for the entire exercise.

On the other hand, received a call from Area customer care manager asking about the issue as I had mailed customer care few days back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Please open up the ECB box and check it immediately. In my case the battery acid fumes corroded all the connectors inside the ECM box. I had to replace the ECM and wiring harness. Costs about 60K.
Will check it today! If it has happened then it is on Mahindra to replace, they overfilled a new battery.

Last edited by batish : 29th August 2023 at 09:59.
batish is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 10:09   #4715
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2494279

Attachment 2494280

Please have a look at ECM connector too. I have encircled it in red.

Attachment 2494278

Is this battery about to give up? What could be the reasons for this and would this be covered in warranty?

It's just 12,500 kms on the ODO and about 16 months old.
I faced exactly the same issue 14 months into my Thar ownership. Battery make is also Amaron. Got the battery checked and it was found to be healthy.
Thankfully the ECM connector was not affected.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-battery.jpeg

Would suggest removing the battery plastic tray and checking the underside metal frame as well. The battery plastic tray was found to be rubbing against the frame. I have put some foam tape below the plastic tray to mitigate that.
Below is the post clean up picture.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-battery-tray.jpeg

3 months on, the issue has not resurfaced. Fingers crossed.

Thanks.
vaasu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 15:17   #4716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeeprawat View Post
Any one in NCR aware of current waiting period for Thar 4x4 petrol? Been waiting for 2 months and still SA is quoting Oct date

Any idea if possible to expedite this?

Thanks
I was in the same boat. They said 8-10 weeks official waiting period but they will give in 2 weeks. After 3 weeks it was still not billed. I then went ahead and picked up a ready available Petrol 4x4 AT HT from Kurukshetra 2 weeks back.
Altocumulus is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 16:06   #4717
BHPian

Quote:
You're spot on sir!

Update: Had visited MASS, they diagnosed this to top up being in excess which AFAIK would have been done during 10k service few months back.

They checked the battery with hydrometer, found it to be good. They removed the excess liquid and sent me off.
This is the shoddiest thing most SVCs in India do for cars with Pb-Acid battery. AGMs are a different story altogether. Unlike home inverter batteries the car batteries don't have any fluid level indicator. So the MASS depends on 'assumption' and 'visual level observation'. I still fail to understand why a 10-month-old so-called maintenance-free battery needed a top-up.

And yes, you are never sure which kind of distilled water they used for the top-up. The cheap ones available in electrical shops are simple RO water with TDS hovering around 25-30. Absolute 0 TDS water is really costly. I don't think they used the latter; even a customer isn't even expected to carry a TDS meter while he is unaware of what exactly is being done with his vehicle in the MASS!

Now they have extracted the extra fluid you said. Needless to say, the extract isn't simply distilled water, rather it's conc. acid (electrolyte), the lifeline of the battery. So in the whole process of prolonging the battery life apparently, you lost the following.

1. The battery is weakened a bit (for removal of electrolyte)
2. The highly corrosive nature of the electrolyte has started the onset of corrosion in neighbouring metal parts.
3. You are yet to assess the extent of damage to other peripherals.

And, last but not the least,

4. Mental peace of owning a new car!

BTW, what is the objective value of the hydrometer reading? It is generally within 1.28 to 1.2 for a good battery.

Last edited by Blooming Flower : 29th August 2023 at 16:11.
Blooming Flower is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 16:41   #4718
BHPian

Hi BHP-ians!

I have a Jan'23 Thar Diesel AT HT LX (And Team-BHP has to do a lot with me biting the bullet)

My car just went in for it's 10,000kms service, and something weird has happened post the service.
The engine noise has increased tremendously in the cabin. It's almost as if there is a HUGE hole in the firewall.

But this also coincides with me getting yellow marker lights installed, the wire for which has been passed through the firewall grommet. However, The firewall grommet already had 2 amplifier wires running through it earlier (which were installed on the delivery day itself), so the grommet seal wasn't perfect even before going in for the second service.
I'm confused as to what could lead to the heavily increased engine noise in the cabin now.

On a side note, any water tight way to run wires from the battery to the cabin?
Old 29th August 2023, 17:53   #4719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA-G13B View Post
Hi BHP-ians!

I have a Jan'23 Thar Diesel AT HT LX (And Team-BHP has to do a lot with me biting the bullet)

My car just went in for it's 10,000kms service, and something weird has happened post the service.
The engine noise has increased tremendously in the cabin. It's almost as if there is a HUGE hole in the firewall.
On a side note, any water tight way to run wires from the battery to the cabin?
There is a small boot like door which could have been left open. I had a similar issue when I got a dsp installed. Close the boot like thingand you are good.
Cheers
rajeevsulu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 19:43   #4720
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidbeard View Post

off beat touring in Yercaud with my Thar

Spent some good time in the mountains this weekend, in Yercaud. Visited the Tipperary Estate and did their off road trail. I must say, with BLD and 4WD (especially 4L) made the novice in me feel like an expert on the steep inclines and declines filled with large stones and grass!

Also did the loop road ride. Peeku park and sweet rascal were the other places.

Vehicles like the Thar pushes one to exploring some off beat places, and boy it was super fun.

Ended the trip with some nice coffee from the Cauvery peak coffee shop.

Random photo dump
I was there a day earlier, the estate roads are an off roader's dream. Got a ride in their Prado at checkout, I've a new found respect for toyota SUVs now. The vehicle is nearly 20 years old and not a squeak to be heard and rides like a dream.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 09:36   #4721
BHPian

I reported this weird experience where my LX D MT Thar (July 2021 reg) was emitting a sweet smelling white smoke upon hard acceleration in lower gears. While this was not consistent but it did occur once every two days.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5336388 (Mahindra Thar : Official Review)

It was not condensation and there was no coolant leakage either. I did not observe any noticeable drop in vehicle performance either.

This started more than a year back (June 22) and multiple visits to the ASC yielded no results - the initial impression was adulterated fuel which was soon ruled out. I was travelling on work-related commitments since and was not around to attend to this.

In April this year, a senior technician was made available to TD my vehicle and he post discussion with someone from the plant, suspected a faulty EGR component. By then, I could feel a drop in pick-up, heightened engine grunt and some amount of turbo-lag.

The part was ordered, however, the fulfillment was no where to be seen. After some escalations and nasty emails from my end, the part did finally arrived. I got the EGR component replaced under warranty earlier this week along with a company recall for the radiator shroud.

It has been three days since the replacement and following are the observations:

1. No instance of white smoke yet (fingers crossed)
2. Exhaust fumes are hotter than earlier
3. Sweet smell from the exhaust fumes has considerably reduced
4. Better / smooth pick-up
5. Reduced engine noise

Last edited by Slipstream11 : 31st August 2023 at 09:44.
Slipstream11 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 09:46   #4722
BHPian

Came across the below ICE upgrade specifically for Thar 2020.
Has anyone installed this?
Is it a plug and play thing or needs cutting wires etc?
Does it retain all functionalities of the stock OEM System (like Adv Statistics etc)?

This is the link ��
https://ownsilent.international/prod...lay-navigation
techfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 16:15   #4723
BHPian

Hi friends

Got into an unfortunate incident just now at Nerul. Was rushing to hospital ER with my son. Took my Thar from basement parking of apartment and drove 500 meter. Then suddenly engine error blinked and everything went to standstill, acceleration, power, steering and even brake. Thankfully I was on left side of road and managed to park on side. An autowala from behind came and told me that petrol is leaking.

I stepped out and saw like leaking is from engine side . Called RSA who came in an hour and towed to Bhavana Mahindra, Nerul. I further procceeded to hospital . Waiting for call from dealership.

Wondering what might be the issue? Anyone faced this?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20230831114425.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20230831114441.jpg  

Old 2nd September 2023, 08:47   #4724
BHPian

Completed a 1500km trip from Trivandrum to Pondicherry and back. Total drive time 30 hours. Overall experience was great with the Thar effortlessly handling the highway and the rough roads.

I had installed a bug deflector and that worked wonders. Only had 7 bugs hit the windshield the whole journey. I could literally see bugs and butterflies getting deflected by the new aerodynamics.

Things that did not go well.
1. Getting Android Auto to work with different phones needed turning off the ignition multiple times

2. The next problem was the most baffling and wasted nearly 2 hours of time.

On the return trip after lunch, my wife then chose to drive. She switched on the engine, started adjusting the electric side mirrors and then suddenly the mirror motors stopped working. And then I noticed that the AC blower was also not working. Did a restart and still no luck.

Decided to visit the nearest service centre on the way and that was at Madurai, 100km away. Half way through I was looking at Plan B just in case the service centre says they need 2-3 days to fix the compressor etc.I asked my wife to pullover and checked the headlights. To my horror the headlights were also not working. Indicators , DRL and fog were working.

Google did it's tricks and spent 1 hour in bumper to bumper traffic in the sweltering heat trying to find the service centre within the city. Finally realised that they had shut shop and it's a Nexa showroom now. The guys there routed me to the new centre that was along the highway itself.

The SA got to checking the fuse and told me that the 5A fuse for HVAC had blown. Okay that made sense for the blower not to work. But then why did the headlight and mirrors not work? A junior guy told me that it's the same fuse that feeds to the MBFM and that could have shutdown the other main circuit for protection.

Drove back without any incidents. Today morning I removed the fuse to test the theory. But to my surprise the blower , headlights and mirrors were working!

Any thoughts on what could have happened?

F47 is the fuse in question.Mahindra Thar : Official Review-pxl_20230902_023940665.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-pxl_20230902_024050772.jpg

Last edited by kutts : 2nd September 2023 at 09:08. Reason: Added new information on bug deflector
kutts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 10:39   #4725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
Any thoughts on what could have happened?
Any accessory installed on that line? Anything which takes power from the same fuse line? Although it doesn't make much sense but check battery connections on terminals too.
batish is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks