Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2023, 10:52   #4621
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelapratosh View Post
I don’t have any friends who will spare their Thar for a long drive. Neither are Thars available for rental in Bangalore. So my buying decision fully rests on the advice of our forum.
Thanks to those of you who reached out offering your car for test drive. Great to see such offers just because I am a forum member.

I managed to get a long drive and had my doubts cleared. Booked a vehicle finally.
This time not with any intention to cancel.

Cheers!
sheelapratosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 13:05   #4622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidbeard View Post
After reading thousands of posts here on team- bhp, and watching videos after videos, I booked my Thar LX HT AT Petrol last week, in galaxy gray. I'm getting it delivered tomorrow!
Wow. That's quite a fast delivery. Your SA deserves the gift. I'm waiting for mine for a month already

Congratulations and wishing loads of fun with your Thar.
sandeeprawat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 14:49   #4623

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelapratosh View Post
Thanks to those of you who reached out offering your car for test drive. Great to see such offers just because I am a forum member.

I managed to get a long drive and had my doubts cleared. Booked a vehicle finally.
This time not with any intention to cancel.

Cheers!
If you've backpain don't buy the vehicle. The drive is so bad that it aggregate your lower backpain
luckyakash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 19:25   #4624
BHPian

Sharing an update on the
Bimbra Rear seat slider + tumble fold

I got it installed over a year ago to give me more boot space on long trips. This is arguably the best modification on my Thar.

It has worked great for the better part of my ownership. On my latest trip it started making rattling noises when put in a tumble fold position.

Here's my limited understanding of what is going wrong. The slider mechanism has two sliding tracks. Only one sliding track has a locking/slide distance mechanism(left side track). The other track is free to slide. Since the tolerance of these tracks are not very tight, the seat has starting twisting sideways under its own weight when tumble folded. This is causing the metallic rattling noise. Vibration from the road is enough to trigger the rattling, broken surfaces makes it worse. It was rattling on my entire drive from Hyderabad to Bangalore.

I took a picture from their website to illustrate the issue. See below:

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_0122.png

The rattle sound is reduce to a very bearable level/ frequency when the seat is back in it's normal unfolded position. In this position the sound is most evident when going across broken surfaces / rumble strips.

I'm yet to find a solution for this. Hopefully someone has already experienced this issue and has a solution.

Help needed:
This was installed by Xenex Madhapur in Hyderabad and I won't be driving to Hyderabad in the next few months. Could someone share suggestions of places in Bangalore that could solve this? If there is a DIY solution, I'd be happy to try it out.
strawmUnkey is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 21:28   #4625
BHPian

I am have booked Diesel HT 4X4 AT yesterday and I was informed that I need to wait for couple of weeks.

Today by afternoon, got a call from the showroom and was informed that I am allotted with one.

When asked how did they manage to get one, there is no concrete answer.

Decided on the following accessories after reading all the posts.,
Rain Visor
Magnetic Sun Shade
Reversing Camera
Front Parking Sensors
Steel Scuff Plates
Canvas Driver Seat Back Organizer
Mud flaps
Under body Coating

Special Thanks to @shankar.balan who helped me out in deciding the list.

As I have booked a black one, wondering if ppf / ceramic coating will actually help.

Please advice.
nax04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 04:40   #4626

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawmUnkey View Post
Sharing an update on the
Bimbra Rear seat slider + tumble fold

I got it installed over a year ago to give me more boot space on long trips. This is arguably the best modification on my Thar.

It has worked great for the better part of my ownership. On my latest trip it started making rattling noises when put in a tumble fold position.

Here's my limited understanding of what is going wrong. The slider mechanism has two sliding tracks. Only one sliding track has a locking/slide distance mechanism(left side track). The other track is free to slide. Since the tolerance of these tracks are not very tight, the seat has starting twisting sideways under its own weight when tumble folded. This is causing the metallic rattling noise. Vibration from the road is enough to trigger the rattling, broken surfaces makes it worse. It was rattling on my entire drive from Hyderabad to Bangalore.

I took a picture from their website to illustrate the issue. See below:

Attachment 2481699

The rattle sound is reduce to a very bearable level/ frequency when the seat is back in it's normal unfolded position. In this position the sound is most evident when going across broken surfaces / rumble strips.

I'm yet to find a solution for this. Hopefully someone has already experienced this issue and has a solution.

Help needed:
This was installed by Xenex Madhapur in Hyderabad and I won't be driving to Hyderabad in the next few months. Could someone share suggestions of places in Bangalore that could solve this? If there is a DIY solution, I'd be happy to try it out.

See this

luckyakash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 19:52   #4627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Would you maybe post some pics of these (as installed) and also maybe the purchase links please? Thank you.
I will post photographs shortly (its raining cat and dogs here in Mumbai). The links for the Tissue Holder and Bag are given below, (if you haven't found them already)

1. Tissue holder: https://amzn.eu/d/0ziW7qV
2. Bag Mounted on wheel well: https://amzn.eu/d/0ziW7qV
arunpools is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 20:47   #4628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunpools View Post
I will post photographs shortly (its raining cat and dogs here in Mumbai). The links for the Tissue Holder and Bag are given below, (if you haven't found them already)

1. Tissue holder: https://amzn.eu/d/0ziW7qV
2. Bag Mounted on wheel well: https://amzn.eu/d/0ziW7qV
Thanks for the link (both links are the same though)

I was hoping for pics as installed in your Thar, especially the underseat one, but I sahll wait for the rains to subside a bit.

Cheers
Old 29th July 2023, 08:19   #4629
Senior - BHPian

Wanted to get one since the day i first drove it on the media drive on Independence Day on 15th August 2020.

Finally took delivery of my 2023 Mahindra Thar 4x4 petrol automatic hardtop yesterday. Delivery took just about a month since the Everest White is new in the 4x4 variant.

More soon in a new thread.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar1.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar2.jpeg
Dippy is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 18:54   #4630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Thanks for the link (both links are the same though)

I was hoping for pics as installed in your Thar, especially the under seat one, but I sahll wait for the rains to subside a bit.

Cheers
Sorry, my bad. The corrected links of the items and some pics that could finally take are given below,

1. The organizer bag: https://amzn.eu/d/gQ8esMf

The bag is located by the Velcro at its bottom and is attached to one to the bolts below the rear window as shown.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-organiser-1.jpg

Items that I managed to squeeze into the organizer bag.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-items-organiser.jpg

2. Tissue paper holder: https://amzn.eu/d/egjZd1N

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-tissue-holder-2.jpg

The underseat bag is actually a random bag and not bought specifically for the purpose. Some pics

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-bag-1.jpg

The bag is buckled to the rear seat rear anchors. Otherwise the bag would slip and come out. There isn't much space and its a tight squeeze.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-bag-under-seat.jpg

Items in the bag below the rear seat
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-items-bag.jpg

The Flat Belt tow rope bundled and buckled to the roll cage.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-flat-belt.jpg
arunpools is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 22:15   #4631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeeprawat View Post
Wow. That's quite a fast delivery. Your SA deserves the gift. I'm waiting for mine for a month already

Congratulations and wishing loads of fun with your Thar.

Thanks!

Yes, the delivery was super fast since i) I wanted galaxy (deep?) grey, ii) and they had one in stock

First impressions*?

i) super fun to drive (if you know what you are getting into. I own a decade old Bullet 500, so that helped ... )

ii) I was doubtful if my son would be comfortable sitting in the back seat (he sits on a car seat there). All my fears aside, he loves the 'jeep' and he sleeps happily on longish rides. I fit that magnetic shades for the rear windows so that the Chennai sun doesn't give him much trouble. So far, good. (as an aside - the agreement I had to sign with my wife as part of the 'jeep life' is that I'll be the one getting my son to the back and securing him to the child seat, every time ;( )

iii) No idea why they did not put a grab handle on the driver's side. I plan to get the oem grab handle installed when I go in for the 1000 kms check up

iv) Brakes require one to get used to.

v) Fuel guzzler. But then, no surprises in that department.

vi) While the turning radius is on the higher side, I've not found it to be problematic for driving around or parking into tight spaces. The only issue is when there's a need for a U turn, but with the rear cameras, that's not a big issue either.

More, later.

* I don't think I'm an extreme off road guy. But I'm keen on participating in some medium level local club activities in and around Chennai after the running in period (maybe post 2.5k kms; 500 done). Anyway, heading to the Moonlight Trail @ MSPT Chennai next weekend.
stupidbeard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 02:29   #4632
BHPian

Quote:

The Flat Belt tow rope bundled and buckled to the roll cage.

Attachment 2483272
Hi. I wanted to know from where did you get your Thar's floor mat and the Roll cage buckled bag shown in the last picture. Very sensible purchases you have done for your Thar. Through your pictures, I just discovered that Thar has rear underseat storage as well!
AMG1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 10:15   #4633
BHPian

Quote:

2. Tissue paper holder: https://amzn.eu/d/egjZd1N

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-tissue-holder-2.jpg
Would suggest to move this tissue holder to top of the visor so as to not impede passenger's line of view. This also looks clean and tissue holder is visible only when you flip the visor down.

Thanks.
vaasu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 11:25   #4634
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Finally took delivery of my 2023 Mahindra Thar 4x4 petrol automatic hardtop yesterday. Delivery took just about a month since the Everest White is new in the 4x4 variant.
Was out for an early breakfast with family @ Kuckeliku Breakfast House (highly recommended for their quality of food & coffee), and bumped into Dippy in his gleaming new Thar. He was visiting a Ferrari owner who also bought a Thar!

White colour looks sexy! Dippy has already installed like 5 - 10 mods & accessories on his Jeep . The Thar is built to be personalised.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230730-09.59.25.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230730-09.51.48.jpg

Very cheap of Mahindra to silently delete features like this. I really miss the dual USB ports at the front in my car. Now, in Dippy's Thar, I noticed that the super-useful bag hook on the back of the passenger seat is missing (it is very much there in my Thar):
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230730-09.58.49.jpg
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 13:13   #4635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasu View Post
Would suggest to move this tissue holder to top of the visor so as to not impede passenger's line of view. This also looks clean and tissue holder is visible only when you flip the visor down.

Thanks.
Yes, that is what I did at first and the holder was on the driver's side. The holder on top of the visor looked neat. However, because of added mass of the holder, the visor used to flap and made a lot of noise. The way it is in the pic, it still flaps but doesn't make as much noise (because nothing is contacting the roof to make noise). Moreover, as you might have noticed, its now on the passenger side visor and this way it doesn't obstruct the view from drivers side. As a bonus, the vanity mirror also doesn't get covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
Hi. I wanted to know from where did you get your Thar's floor mat and the Roll cage buckled bag shown in the last picture.
Under seat storage?! Getting something into and out of that space is a real chore. As suggested by fellow BHPian @shankar.balan with reference to one of my earlier posts, a tumble seat modification would have been more sensible for liberating usable space. But for two reasons I couldn't take this route. Firstly, I want to keep my car in stock form. Secondly, and more importantly, my three year old takes the rear seat in her child restraint. A modified rear seat wont be safe enough for her. So, I have to make do with that teeny-weeny space under the seat and other knock offs that I have done to make my car a little bit more practical for every day use.

The floor mat can be found here https://amzn.eu/d/eI9jTOK
A word of caution though, the floor mat material is very similar to the one stock car comes with (scratchy and stiff plastic). Though this one covers more area and acts like a bucket and can be removed more easily for cleaning.

The tow rope stowage buckle is a general purpose DIY item https://amzn.eu/d/iU6I9CU
The black bag is just another generic nylon cloth bag that I happened have.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Axe77 : 30th July 2023 at 22:43. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
arunpools is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks