Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2023, 14:09   #4606
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

I am awaiting the delivery of my Petrol AT 4WD HT and currently in the research mode for all modifications as usual, starting with the tyres.

This will be the 3rd car in the house and is being bought especially so that I can join fellow Bhpians and Thar owners for off-road trails along with office commute. While I need the car to be competent off-road, I cannot let go of on-road performance either, especially because most of these trails are 100-200 kms away.

Keeping the same in mind what would be best options for a tyre upgrade. I am open to downsizing to 16 or 17 inch with Off-road rims or retain the stock 18". Both works.

16 Inch Options with off-road JTI rims and 275/75R16
1. Maxxis Bravo 980 AT
2. Yokohoma Geolander AT G015
265/75/R16 options like BFG is too expensive at 1.45L for 5 tyres and Radar Renegade RT+ feels too aggressive

18 inch options (on stock rims - size 285/60R18)
1. Maxxis Bravo 980 AT
2. Yokohoma Geolander AT G015
3. UML Ultramile 4x4 AT Bull (anyone used this and reviews for the same?)

Any other options suggested ?

Last edited by Altocumulus : 24th July 2023 at 14:11.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 15:22   #4607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunpools View Post

Thar 2022 Petrol AT Hard Top After Ten Months of Ownership

Good, crisp overview there! Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
There is no clear procedure as to how the vehicle is to be parked
Here is the procedure to be followed for AT cars:
  1. After reaching your parking spot, slot the transmission into N
  2. Release the brake pedal momentarily (unless you are on a very steep incline) and engage the parking brake
  3. Press the brake pedal and slot the transmission into P
This will ensure that the weight or "rolling force" of the vehicle is completely borne by the parking brake and not the parking pawl. Hope this helps.
cool_dube is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 17:01   #4608
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
[h3]*SNIP*

2. There is some limited space below the rear seat towards the middle. I have got some essentials like jumper cables, tools that came with the car, a pair of spare headlight bulbs and similar things in a rectangular zipper bag under there. The bag is buckled to one of the rear seat’s rear anchor points so that the bag does not slip out of its place from under the seat.

*SNIP*

4. I have added a boot organiser bag with Velcro at its bottom over the left-side wheel arch. In here I have got all the essentials that I would need regular access to like, the tyre air compressor, clothes for everyday cleaning, a car vacuum cleaner etcetera.

5. For the quintessential paper towel accessible to the driver, I have got a sun visor-mounted clip-on device from Amazon.

*SNIP*
Would you maybe post some pics of these (as installed) and also maybe the purchase links please? Thank you.
Old 24th July 2023, 19:22   #4609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
My own usage pattern is city and highways 90-95%
I have seen many of your posts. Thanks. I booked the 3 door version and canceled all three times. My apprehension is all about the foot well space (left leg). During my test rides lasting 3-4 KMs, I found my left leg touching the engine bay way too much. Also found myself struggling to use the accelerator and brake properly. Somehow it felt a bit unaligned.

Just to set the context - I used an XUV500 in the past.

Am I reading too much into my test drives? I don’t have any friends who will spare their Thar for a long drive. Neither are Thars available for rental in Bangalore. So my buying decision fully rests on the advice of our forum.
sheelapratosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 19:46   #4610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelapratosh View Post
I My apprehension is all about the foot well space (left leg). Also found myself struggling to use the accelerator and brake properly. Somehow it felt a bit unaligned.

Just to set the context - I used an XUV500 in the past.

Am I reading too much into my test drives? .
1. Im 6 feet 2 inches tall and wear UK size 11 footwear and I do not have an issue with space in my Thar footwell. Of course I rarely ever drive for more than 2.5 to 3 hours without a ‘leg stretch’ break.

2. I dont find any issue with the positioning of the accelerator and brake pedals.

3. It is very possible that your problem may be psychological.

I suggest that you evaluate your use cases very carefully, consult with the family and friends circle and only then decide if this vehicle is indeed suitable for you or not.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 20:53   #4611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Here is the procedure to be followed for AT cars:.
Thanks . This is what I do nowadays.
arunpools is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 09:24   #4612
Senior - BHPian

I drive a close friend's Thar Diesel HT occasionally and within sometime of driving it, I get motion sickness. Although I am quite sensitive wrt motion sickness (While playing some FPS games and in airconditioned long haul buses), I have never got motion sick while driving any other car. So, this is very surprising for me. May be regular use of thar would make me accustomed to it. But it has never happened before with any other car while I am driving. It could probably be due to the unsettled nature of the Thar.

Curious to know if anybody else has faced this.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 11:06   #4613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Although I am quite sensitive wrt motion sickness (While playing some FPS games and in airconditioned long haul buses), I have never got motion sick while driving any other car. So, this is very surprising for me.

It is very unusual to experience motion sickness while driving. I am too seeing this for the first time. BUT if you see older posts on Team-BHP, experienced Jeepers like GTO el al have been saying that the ride is very bumpy and many will end up selling their Thars once the novelty wears down after an year or so of ownership. Seasoned drivers have upgraded the suspension to improve the ride quality. Also, 2023 models have better ride quality.
PaddleShifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 13:37   #4614
BHPian

Quote:

Thar 2022 Petrol AT Hard Top After Ten Months of Ownership

However, one peculiar thing that I have noticed is the way the Thar goes over deep potholes on the road. When the speed is low enough the ride over deep potholes, the ones that would have bottomed my XUV 500, is a lot more composed and reassuring. More composed would be an understatement; at low speeds, the Thar eats those potholes for breakfast. Probably this has to do, keeping the extra ground clearance aside, with the increased wheel articulation and the chunky A/T tyres. Of course, if you go fast over these bad patches of road, nothing would happen to the Thar, it is your back and your bottom that would take the beating. Attachment 2479706
I would not agree to this.

At slow speeds, one can feel the smallest rut on the road and the feedback travels right up the steering column. The ride quality at slow speeds is anything but composed and reassuring.

I understand that the 2023 Thars have a better suspension but I don't think the difference in ride quality would be that significantly different.

I drive the 2021 Thar with stock suspension.
Slipstream11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 15:01   #4615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
I drive a close friend's Thar Diesel HT occasionally and within sometime of driving it, I get motion sickness. Although I am quite sensitive wrt motion sickness (While playing some FPS games and in airconditioned long haul buses), I have never got motion sick while driving any other car. So, this is very surprising for me. May be regular use of thar would make me accustomed to it. But it has never happened before with any other car while I am driving. It could probably be due to the unsettled nature of the Thar.

Not in the Thar, but one of my friends experienced this in the Taigun when they were looking for a new car. But this was not present in Kushaq which which they ended up buying. So what you are experiencing can be a very personal experience but is not unheard of. As for getting accustomed to it, they still cant sit in my other friend's Taigun without this feeling of motion sickness. Try and get multiple long drives to be sure. My two cents.
Jaisalmeriya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 15:28   #4616
BHPian

Quote:

Am I reading too much into my test drives? I don’t have any friends who will spare their Thar for a long drive. Neither are Thars available for rental in Bangalore. So my buying decision fully rests on the advice of our forum.
I am 6 4.I have been driving my Thar for the last 4 months. I have done Bangalore-Erode, Erode-Yercaud, Erode- Cochin, Erode-Ooty. I have had no issues so far. In sedans, my legs used to cramp up after 3 hours. In the That, I did Erode-Cochin without a break.
Cheers
rajeevsulu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 15:29   #4617
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
I would not agree to this.

At slow speeds, one can feel the smallest rut on the road and the feedback travels right up the steering column. The ride quality at slow speeds is anything but composed and reassuring.
Its all intentional given the use case of the vehicle, you`d learn to 'handle' it in due time. Its similar to that of Scorpio, once you figure it out nothing else will do.
Old 25th July 2023, 16:01   #4618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaisalmeriya View Post
Try and get multiple long drives to be sure. My two cents.
Thats the interesting part. Have done Multiple 500kms in the same Thar on open highways and I am kind of okay at the end of the drive. Not 100% Okay, but I can get by for the rest of the day without much problems. The problem lies in city usage. Have done city runs on less than perfect roads in my city and the sickness will set in very soon. Even my 7yo daughter experienced it last time we went on a drive. It should be due to something about the suspension/damping of the Thar that is messing with me, considering the fact that my daily drives are a Fiesta 1.6S (Stiffest suspension) and a First Gen Bolero 2wd (Pretty much a boat), I never had any problem with these two or any other cars even in the worst of the roads here!

OT: I must admit that there are some particular stuffs like this that triggers my motion sickness. Eg: I am perfectly fine with most of the FPS games (Halo, CoD, Crysis etc) and can play it for hours altogether. But the moment I play something like Doom 2016 I will be totally whacked within 30 mins and has never managed to go beyond the second level even after trying to play it years apart (Apparently in the gaming community, there are many who are triggered by Doom).

Last edited by man_of_steel : 25th July 2023 at 16:26.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 22:12   #4619
BHPian

After reading thousands of posts here on team- bhp, and watching videos after videos, I booked my Thar LX HT AT Petrol last week, in galaxy gray. I'm getting it delivered tomorrow!

The test-drive, booking and PDI experience was great. Thanks to the team-bhp PDI post, I've bought a small gift for my SA (I wouldn't have thought of it otherwise! )
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20230725_220029.jpg  

stupidbeard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 01:03   #4620

Quote:
If you've even a slightest bit of body or back pain, don't buy
luckyakash is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks