Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2023, 10:47   #4561
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This owner just mentioned in passing about the lift kit and all from Dr Nano. We didn't discuss its relative merits. And he didnt specifically volunteer more information.
Hence no idea about the performance but the vehicle surely looks great when viewed in side profile or head-on.
This lift kit was a failure in one of the Thar's. Please see below video. The user has detailed out the series of troubles he faced with the kit.
It could be an issue with that specific kit also.
Old 29th June 2023, 11:02   #4562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
This lift kit was a failure in one of the Thar's. Please see below video.
Personally am not in the market for lift kit and giant tyres and off road spot lights and light bars and off road bumpers and similar for my Thar.

Since mine is mostly a city + touring vehicle, I prefer its stock condition albeit with the relatively small functional enhancements I have done.

But I really loved the looks of that Pistachio Green Thar, which is why I shared it here.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2992.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2799.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 13:54   #4563
BHPian

Hi Everyone, first up apologies for such a late revert as I was out and exploring Zanskar and Leh with my Thar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snallagatla View Post
Your Thar looks stunning aamishdingra. Thanks for sharing.

One question regarding Aftermarket bumper. I'm also planning to install this Model M bumper but little concerned as the 2 metal fittings are poking outside, Do you see any safety concerns as you have been living with it for sometime. Also, Were you ever stopped by Police for installing these external mods.
Hi, The bumper is absolutely flawless to use, and the only negative is that since I got a Fibre one, even a Medium external force gives it a crack which makes it almost due for a replacement. No, I haven't ever been stopped by a Police personnel due to the bumper or the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadavsid21 View Post
Nice mods. Do you mind sharing the cost of HT and installation.
Thanks
Hi, Thank you! The Cost of HT with installation came out to be at 70K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
Hi, your Thar looks stunning in black. Also, would mind sharing the reason you converted your CT to HT? And how much did it cost? Whether you are happy with the HT fitting? I assume that you got it fitted somewhere outside the Mahindra Service Centre.

Thanks
Hi, Thank you! Reason why I converted from a CT to a HT, purely because of Some better noise insulation, Improved Sound output and external looks! Yes, I got it fitted from outside, and it is perfectly fit, with no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Black looks smashing! Your car just needs a bigger set of rims to complement the overall aesthetics is what I personally feel
Hi, Thanks! I did contemplate about it, but Fuel Original rims cost somewhere between 1.1L to 2L, which made it impractical for upgradation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
That's quite a bit of modifications done. It looks smashing.
BTW how much did the OEM Hardtop cost?
I am planning the reverse, change from OEM HARD TOP to Convertible Top.
Hi, Thank you!

The OEM Hardtop with Fitment costed me 70K. The Reverse fitment, is usually cheaper, I have seen some options available for even 15-20K.
aamishdhingra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 19:40   #4564

Few pics of my white 4x4 Thar
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230629-7.38.39-pm-1.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230629-7.38.39-pm.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230629-7.38.38-pm.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230629-7.38.37-pm.jpeg  

navino87 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 30th June 2023, 16:52   #4565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navino87 View Post
Few pics of my white 4x4 Thar
White absolutely looks so beautiful! Wish we had one at the launch! Congratulations for your beast!
aamishdhingra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 20:12   #4566

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamishdhingra View Post
White absolutely looks so beautiful! Wish we had one at the launch! Congratulations for your beast!
Thanks man.. I was first very hesitant to go with white color.. But its definitely a head Turner..
navino87 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2023, 23:42   #4567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyengineer View Post
Looking for daily use experience from owners in Metro cities. How has been your experience in terms of

- Daily drive experience in city traffice for auto or manual transmission.
- FE in city conditions for both Petrol and Diesel.
- Any fatigue observed due to typical BOF architecture.
Diesel AT HT in Bangalore traffic (95% of the time)

Fuel Economy
- Daily 4km commute (takes 30 - 40mins). Fuel economy is at 7.6 to 8.1 Kmpl (tank to tank method).
- Long road trips gives FE of 11.5 - 12.2 Kmpl
- Use cruise control @ 90kmph on highways. No rapid acceleration.

Driving Experience
There are two things about Bangalore commutes I hate. I decided to worry about only one of them.
- Road infrastructure (ORR IT areas)
- Traffic

Its capability allows me to forget about the road conditions and the surprises they throw at you. I only worry about the traffic now.

- The Auto transmission is smooth and worry free.
- Steering is heavy at parking speeds (Right shoulder pains when turning excessively over multiple days. I'm learning to use both hands to alleviate the pain).
- The driver door armrest and windows sill feel like natural places to rest your elbow while driving one handed. Don't do this. All the vibrations transfer to your arm joints and will lead to pain.

Completed 35k this week on my Feb 2021 Thar AT D HT.

Functional Mods + Accessories:
  • Roof Rack
  • Rear Seat slider + tumble fold
  • Spare wheel mounted Bike rack
  • Aluminium Radiator guard
  • Footholds on door hinges
  • Grab handles for ingress
  • 70mai Front+Rear Dashcam Mirror
  • Knee pads on centre column
  • Centre + rear armrests
Visual Mods
  • 7 Slat front grille.
Mods I'm looking forward to (inspired by @GTO 's Thar thread)
  • AVO Suspension
  • Stedi headlight
  • Prad bumper
  • Full Underbody Protection
  • Branch-lifter wires
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230630_1223552.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-pxl_20210424_054645550.jpg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd July 2023 at 05:16. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
strawmUnkey is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 10:50   #4568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawmUnkey View Post
[*]Spare wheel mounted Bike rack
Very nice vehicle. Could you share which bike rack you got, it looks nice.
sandeeprawat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 12:55   #4569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeeprawat View Post
Very nice vehicle. Could you share which bike rack you got, it looks nice.
Yakima Spareride - Official website

I bought it from Bumsonthesaddle a couple of years ago. No longer available.
strawmUnkey is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 17:01   #4570

Hey Everyone,

Our family has a 2020 LX HT Diesel Thar that we had booked on day one of the announcement (before the official test drive) but the thrill and the excitement that was part of the buying experience on that day has been let down as a result of a combination of poorly built/designed parts and our service center experiences in Kochi.

We received our car on Jan 2nd, 2021, and have managed to clock close to 30,000 km on the car to the day. We have religiously maintained the car with a strict dealer-only authorized service and drive the car with the utmost care (in spite of its rugged credentials). But yet multiple parts have failed on the car due to poor design and material quality during this time period. Apart from a few issues that Mahindra had addressed through inspections(hardtop sealant) or parts replacement for (bonnet locks, DEF tank, etc), we had another issue that was affecting daily driving. In spite of maintaining the car well, we had a noise issue when turning on full lock, or turning on an incline, etc.

So on our 30K periodic service, the SA suggested getting the steering rack replaced to address this and within warranty. We sent our car through Mahindra's home delivery personnel and received the car as normal. The vehicle seemed to be working fine with no issues. But just a day later, the vehicle started leaking fluid on our porch and having a strange noise during startup and running. Along with this, the instrument cluster had developed a new crack in it right through the center of it, like it was in line with the steering rack.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-image001.jpg

Since the steering rack was the only new variable in what was considered a routine service, we thought this was related (perhaps incorrect alignment/installation) and that the dealer or OEM should help us address this fix. So we called our SA and made sure to get the vehicle delivered as soon as possible to fix both issues. Upon arrival, they informed us that the technician may have not applied adequate torque on the screw or fastener holding it together hence leading to loss of fluid. But regarding the broken cluster, the SA returned with a quote of Rs.16K to replace it rather than a warranty replacement. We were quite taken aback considering we had always looked after the car and turned the car in on time or early for service.

The SA escalated the issue to a CRM who said he couldn't get this fixed under warranty suggesting we write an email to Mahindra. We did so and in return, the dealer with the involvement of the GM notified us of a 5% discount for the part. We refused the offer since we knew that we hadn't done anything to cause this issue, and that this issue needed to be solved under the scope of warranty.

We made it clear in our response to both Mahindra customer service and the Kochi dealership "How does a vehicle that has done nearly 30,000 km in 2 years of accident-free ownership, no recent collisions, with no unauthorized modification, and undergone only an authorized OEM service cycle develop a crack in the cluster?".

We collected the car back on the 5th of July since we didn't want to leave the car at the dealership and now are in a deep pit of disappointment where Mahindra hasn't responded and the dealer doesn't seem to want to help us solve the issue in time. The original crack that had occurred exactly in the center along the steering wheels center axis (and after the dealership prescribed steering rack job) has increased.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230705_170156.jpg

To current owners: Have you faced this issue and how did you fix it?
To new and prospective owners: Please be careful and weary of all service jobs related to the Thar or Mahindra!

And to everyone on this forum: Any suggestions on how to address this amicably?
iamjoelj is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 21:10   #4571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjoelj View Post
The original crack that had occurred exactly in the center along the steering wheels center axis
I am surprised that Mahindra does not sell instrument cluster glass as a child part!
Honda, Maruti, Hyundai do sell these.

Guess another Indian major manufacturer who also seem to not have instrument cluster glass as a child part? Tata!

And anomaly (crack) in something (instrument cluster) which is in your constant line of vision is difficult to ignore.

Thanks.
vaasu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 18:28   #4572
BHPian

While going the specs there are two models under LX Diesel

LX D MT 4WD HT OD and LX D MT 4WD HT, can you please help to know what is the difference between these two options, could not find it in specs.

Thanks in advance.
Old 8th July 2023, 20:47   #4573
udy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
While going the specs there are two models under LX Diesel

LX D MT 4WD HT OD and LX D MT 4WD HT, can you please help to know what is the difference between these two options, could not find it in specs.

Thanks in advance.
One is with MLD and the other without MLD. Since MLD has become optional, Mahindra used this to differentiate between the 2.
udy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 12:02   #4574
BHPian

Hello everyone. I need help in upgrading the tyres of my Thar. At 65k kms the stock MRFs still have life to run another 5k but air leaks from multiple fissures are giving me an headache.

I’d prefer the specifications of the new tyres to be similar to the stock ones and my usage pattern would be 40% broken Tarmac (sadly), 50% highways and 10% off road.

I was thinking of Yokohama geolandar ATs.

Kindly suggest.
Thank you!
Old 9th July 2023, 18:21   #4575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malhi View Post
At 65k kms the stock MRFs still have life to run another 5k but air leaks from multiple fissures are giving me an headache.
was thinking of Yokohama geolandar ATs.

!
Personally I am very satisfied with my Ceat Czars.
And the MRF Wanderers as well as Cross Drives are both good too is what I am told. Espexially considering our famous Indian Broken Tarmac everywhere.
Yoko Geolandars are great tyres. Made in India hence easily available.
265/60/18 would be a good size and well within the tolerance limit.
You might want to consider Vredesteins too. They are now made in India by Apollo Tyres.
And you might fund Michelin LTX a little soft but rhey are a great option for highway use.
The latter three all look very nice indeed.
See pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_7534.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_7532.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-391ebf99db924325a9bb7a83ab88c8bd.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2806.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2805.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2804.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2803.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2802.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2801.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 9th July 2023 at 18:25.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks