Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2023, 12:10   #4546
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey View Post
After closely seeing the Thread & reading almost all the 300 pages I finally went in for Thar LX D 4x4 Auto in Napoli Black.
Congratulations on the brute

By the way is that Shiv Auto wings showroom in pune?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwakarmuthu View Post
The car looks cool with the mods. Are the headlights and grill standard showroom accessories. I don't see them in Mahindra site. Hence asking

The LX comes with a reverse camera right. Have you upgraded it?
None of the Thar variant comes with camera as a standard fitment. You need to get it installed from Mahindra Accesories.

Also I don’t think Grill is a fitment available at Accesories however you can procure your own and request them to fit at time of delivery.

Cheers!

Last edited by BleueNinja : 21st June 2023 at 12:13.
BleueNinja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 20:06   #4547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey View Post
After closely seeing the Thread & reading almost all the 300 pages I finally went in for Thar LX D 4x4 Auto in Napoli Black.
Congratulations on picking up this beast. It will surely be as fun as the car beside it in different ways.
I badly wanted to have the exact same one, but due to practicality issues, got the XUV700 instead

So, you have one to go fast, one to go anywhere.

Have loads of fun!
Cheers
Siddharth

Last edited by Axe77 : 22nd June 2023 at 11:25.
SID7115 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 23:51   #4548
BHPian

What colors among different available options for Thar age well and requires less maintenance?

Colors I preferred Rocky Beige and Mystic Copper are no longer available. Napoli Black looks awesome but is high on maintenance. Only other options in CT are Red, Grey and Aqua-marine. Considering I'll hold it for a very long time, any thoughts on what color would look good after a few years and reasonable maintenance?
Old 22nd June 2023, 04:46   #4549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeeprawat View Post
any thoughts on what color would look good after a few years and reasonable maintenance?
In the Mahindra Thar lineup for a vehicle which ks mostly just used as an utility, transportation and touring machine, it is best, as you have said, to buy a relatively ‘maintenance-free’ shade.

Yes I also love my Thar (and all cars). I do look after and maintain it but I don’t molly-coddle it in the sense that I am totally uninterested in PPF and Ceramic and clay ‘Detailing’ and all that.

I keep the vehicle clean generally. I dont litter inside and dont allow eating snacks or food or drinking things except water in it, while on the move, preferring to stop by the side of the road, consume the food, dispose of the litter OR bag it tightly, store it till we reach a disposal and just move along.

I do the deep cleaning of the car by having it raised on the hydraulic lift and thoroughly pressure washed underneath inside all those crevices and outside to remove all the dust and stuff, sprayed with a little diesel on the squeaky bits and a good wipe down, on average once a month and always after a highway / hill trip. If ever I get off the road into muck and slush or whatever, then I ensure to do a super-clean of the car as soon as possible afterwards.

I DO NOT follow the practice of having someone come and wash and clean the vehicles on daily basis. To me, there is such a thing as ‘too much cleaning’.

Jeepy things are a bit like Blue Jeans. They ought not to be overly washed and cleaned.

This is why I chose the colour Rocky Beige. It doesnt show dust, dirt, muck and scratches at all. It looks anonymous and in a way militaristic and purposeful. It blends in neatly with the natural landscape.

Of the present lot of available colours, you can consider Galaxy Grey which is the next most anonymous shade. And white is also relatively easy to maintain (contrary to what one may ‘think’).

Red looks super-licious. But will show scratches and dirt and requires more efforts to keep it looking nice and shiny. Because if neglected, red can ‘dull’ and that looks sorry for itself. But with ‘reasonable maintenance’ will look nice for a while until it gets dusty or dirty again.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 22nd June 2023 at 04:48.
shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 08:43   #4550
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Fellow Thar owners & fans,

Happy to update that my ownership thread is live at this link (My Modified Mahindra Thar 4x4 Review | Red Turbo-Petrol AT Convertible) .
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 12:13   #4551
BHPian

After silently lurking a lot on this forum, finally took the plunge. Bought a 16000KM run, pre-owned Thar AT Diesel (Mystic Copper) from Spinny. This will be my first automatic vehicle. Still getting used to the dimensions. This is my second car now, I still retain my 2nd Generation Toyota Innova, that aint going anywhere. I have a larger-than-average family (my FIL stays with us, sometimes my father too, plus 2 kids and a dog), so that remains indispensible.

Why Spinny to get a used car? Couple of reasons
1. They were offering at a price cheaper than other dealers (used-car prices in BLR are crazy. used-Thar prices in BLR are crazier).
2. Found them very professional as yet. They took care of insurance and even fast tag.
3. There are absolutely no individual sellers in the used car market, any thing gets immediately swallowed by the car dealer network.

Will share pics shortly.

The prev owner has already done quite a bit of modifications -
1. New front bumper, with projector fog lamps.
2. Updated headlamps
3. Auxillary lamps
4. Updated 7 slot grille
5. Underbody protection
6. Front and Rear Arm Rests (though am contemplating getting the front ones removed)
7. Wheel arch cladding (am thinking of getting rid of these too)

The car is 2021 Sept Manufactured and still under warranty. There is an extended 4th-year warranty as well.
sachinayak is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 15:50   #4552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
After silently lurking a lot on this forum, finally took the plunge. Bought a 16000KM run, pre-owned Thar AT Diesel (Mystic Copper) from Spinny.
Congratulations! I did see the Thar on Spinny and was tempted by the pricing considering the low mileage. You were fast enough to grab it. The lightforce lights look great on the Thar.
kesh4munni is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 21:52   #4553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesh4munni View Post
Congratulations! I did see the Thar on Spinny and was tempted by the pricing considering the low mileage. You were fast enough to grab it. The lightforce lights look great on the Thar.
Been on the lookout for a while and getting a low-mileage Diesel Automatic was very difficult. Overall, I found Spinny's pricing much better than the rest, and over time they keep getting regular stock of Thars. Given the demand, just booked it off.
sachinayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 07:55   #4554
BHPian

Hello BHPian's -

The hard top on my Thar is losing sheen as it gets baked in the daytime, it has started to turn whiteish, is there a way to avoid it, some kinda wrapping or lamination that might work ?

Would be thankful if someone can provide their inputs and suggestions.

Thanks much.
Old 25th June 2023, 08:22   #4555
Senior - BHPian

I think that if the hard top is losing its colour, the best way to preserve it would be to frequently apply that dashboard dresser/trim polish that service centers use to blacken the wipers and exterior claddings.

Lamination will not work on hard top surface.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 13:15   #4556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeeprawat View Post
Only other options in CT are Red, Grey and Aqua-marine. Considering I'll hold it for a very long time, any thoughts on what color would look good after a few years and reasonable maintenance?
It’s quite odd with the way Mahindra decides to offer their Thar variants. The white Thar in 4X4 avatar is only available in Hard top there is no availability of Convertible with that colour option. I hope Mahindra fixes this anomaly soon as I think White Convertible Soft Top Thar will look handsome
Old 25th June 2023, 22:05   #4557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Hello BHPian's -

The hard top on my Thar is losing sheen as it gets baked in the daytime, it has started to turn whiteish, is there a way to avoid it, some kinda wrapping or lamination that might work ?

Would be thankful if someone can provide their inputs and suggestions.

Thanks much.
An indirect answer and illustration for your benefit.
Here is something I saw today. I loved this Thar’s look.
I met the owner at the Cars and Coffee meet this morning at E Zone Bangalore. And complimented him on his lovely Pistachio Green Thar. I think it is very tasteful. A lot like that Pangea Green or Linden Green of the Land Rover New Defender and Old Defender.
And the white wheels look cool as do the BFG tyres.
This vehicle has a Dr Nano suspension set up and a 3 inch lift too.
The entire outer body, including all the metal and the plastic and FRP bits is coated with Line X, which is used in the truck bed tubs of utility pickup trucks to prevent wear and tear. With this coating which is rather like a stucco finish on some building walls, there is no chance that any off road adventure whether through the forest or thorn bushes or rocks, can cause any damage to the surface of the vehicle by way of scratches and scars. And to me at least, the look of the Thar was really nice. See the close up pics.
Of course this look and this colour is extremely polarising, judging by the reactions of some of my other friends. But I personally really liked it.
The owner said this job was done by Vin 4x4 Bangalore and costs less than a Lakh of Rupees.
This post and pics are only for information sharing purposes - I have no connection with the owner other than a liking for cars and I have absolutely no connection with Vin 4x4 - I’m not even a customer of theirs as of now.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2994.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2992.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2991.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2988.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2993.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2983.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2981.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2968.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2966.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2967.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2965.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2964.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2963.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2971.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2970.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2969.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 25th June 2023 at 22:08.
shankar.balan is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 10:45   #4558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This vehicle has a Dr Nano suspension set up and a 3 inch lift too.
Did you get to ask feedback on the lift kit from Dr.Nano? If so, kindly share.
What I observed from few of the Dr.Nano lifted Thar's is that the CV angle was much strained compared to stock set up on the ground. This was my observation from the videos and photos.
Old 27th June 2023, 17:28   #4559
BHPian

Has anyone got HHC malfunction warning in thar? I got this warning on Sunday while driving on highway. It went away after sometime and the car was behaving normally otherwise.

When i talked to the SA he asked me to bring the car to service center for inspection. If anyone else has faced this issue and if this is recurring, I would like to know.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20230625_153117.jpg  

Last edited by ak10 : 27th June 2023 at 17:41.
Old 27th June 2023, 21:10   #4560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
Did you get to ask feedback on the lift kit from Dr.Nano? If so, kindly share.
What I observed from few of the Dr.Nano lifted Thar's is that the CV angle was much strained compared to stock set up on the ground. This was my observation from the videos and photos.
This owner just mentioned in passing about the lift kit and all from Dr Nano. We didn't discuss its relative merits. And he didnt specifically volunteer more information.
Hence no idea about the performance but the vehicle surely looks great when viewed in side profile or head-on.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2992.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2981.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks