Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2023, 21:14   #4531
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
Hello Guys,

Which is the best Thar LED Head light upgrade so far after experiencing all sorts of cheap Chinese ones, STEDI ones from Australia etc?
I am looking to upgrade my stock HL to a proper branded high quality LED 7inch sealed unit. Some of the options considered as of now are as follows.

1. Philips Integral Beam H6024LED
2. STEDI Homage
3. Truck Lite 7 Inch series
Stedi Homage series which GTO has fitted appears to be drawing around 20W from the spec sheet, I think that should be the better option. You need ~ 20W and suitable beam pattern to ensure good visibility even in the rain.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 09:32   #4532
BHPian

Quote:

I was lucky enough to get it within 1 week of booking.

Cheers!
One week is super impressive considering most here are waiting since Jan’23.

Cant resist asking this but did you buy Petrol 4x4 or did u manage to get Diesel 4x4 in a week’s time?

Last edited by geekyengineer : 18th June 2023 at 09:32. Reason: Formatting
Old 18th June 2023, 11:00   #4533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyengineer View Post
One week is super impressive considering most here are waiting since Jan’23.

Cant resist asking this but did you buy Petrol 4x4 or did u manage to get Diesel 4x4 in a week’s time?
It's a Petrol Automatic RWD. My usecase didn't warrant a Diesel car because i already have a Diesel SUV so wanted a Petrol SUV which isn't threatened by impulsive government bans or doesn't warrant refilling of DEF at regular intervals.

The maximum waiting time quoted for all the 4X4 variants & RWD Petrol Automatic was 3-4 weeks.
The Diesel Manual RWD variant has a waiting of 72-75 weeks.

Last edited by BleueNinja : 18th June 2023 at 11:24.
BleueNinja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 09:59   #4534

Guys, is there a way to turn off idle start/stop in new thar? It turns on itself on every power cycle..
navino87 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 12:33   #4535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navino87 View Post
Guys, is there a way to turn off idle start/stop in new thar? It turns on itself on every power cycle..
Not possible. Not just in this, same with X1, Wrangler etc they have stop start and no way to completely disable this. But it's easy to make it a habit to disable as the first thing once we start the engine. The only problem with Thar is that the idle rpm and the resulting torque is too much the car lunges forward uncontrollably and it's scary in bumper to bumper traffic. X1 and Wrangler it's so seemless and easy to handle.
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 14:39   #4536

After closely seeing the thread & reading almost all the 300 pages I finally went in for Thar LX D 4x4 Auto in Napoli Black.
It was an adventurous journey:

Randomly took a test round. Loved it, went home tried convincing my wife but she saw the interiors, drive quality & outright rejected it saying you wont keep it for a month (its because of my previous history of selling RR Vogue, Audi Q7 etc in short time because I didn't like the feel).

Still went ahead & booked it. Again cancelled it. Thought of going in for Defender, took the test round - loved it but waiting for Defender 90 was minimum 9 months. So again randomly called the dealer & booked it on phone (literally). He arranged the vehicle in 2 days!

Showroom accessories: I got the DHC headlamp, Black mirror inserts, 7 slot grill, reverse camera & front sensors.
I went to take the delivery in my most favourite car from my garage.( see pictures attached for reference)

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_9379.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_9378.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_9375.jpg

This thread was very helpful in me buying Thar. Thank you guys!

Last edited by Axe77 : 26th June 2023 at 12:16. Reason: Some formatting and minor typos
mickey is offline   (91) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 17:39   #4537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey View Post

This tread was very helpful in me buying Thar.
Thank you guys!
Is the 7-slot grill on your Thar a genuine accessory from Mahindra? or Is it aftermarket? I liked your Thar with this specific 7-slot grill having orange color LEDs. Looks awesome.
Prabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 02:18   #4538
BHPian

Hey guys, my thar P MT HT is due for the 1st yr insurance renewal
The quote is about 29k from Tata Aig. Is this a normal figure for insurance renewal? Attached is a screenshot of the features.

Quote:
Looking for daily use experience from owners in Metro cities. How has been your experience in terms of

- Daily drive experience in city traffice for auto or manual transmission.
- FE in city conditions for both Petrol and Diesel.
- Any fatigue observed due to typical BOF architecture.
- I have a Petrol Manual HT and I live in Bombay. It is my only car. I don't commute to work everyday so can't call it a commuter but I use it for everything. From errands to long drives to pick ups and drops since its my only car. Mostly city driving so a lot of 1st-3rd gear usage. I honestly don't have issues driving it even in heavy traffic. I don't think the steering or the clutch is hard. Turning radius is less so U-turns are definitely three pointers. The gear shifts are pretty easy. It's not a difficult car to drive at all in the city. I came from driving a swift which is a super easy drive and I still feel the thar is pretty easy to drive around. The annoying part is the entry and exit of rear passengers. I have noticed people trying to avoid coming to my car coz of that. I understand it. The other annoying part is the fact that you have to open the petrol tank only with a key. Not the most user friendly in today's age. The body roll is something that will take some getting used to. It is a bumpy and bouncy ride but it's not bad at all. The boot space is a bummer. Barely fits one suitcase. Needs planning if you have luggage. Apart from this i really don't have any issues.

- Fuel economy is bad. In the city, I get 6.6-6.7 calculated tank to tank. 300kms for a full tank. On the highway, I've got 8kmpl max. Nothing more. I've driven the car for about 4500kms in 10months. Hoping this gets a little better. Let's see

- I haven't felt any fatigue so far. The max run I've done is 700kms. I stand pretty tall at 6.2. I do miss some thigh support for sure but no fatigue yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20230620_021624.jpg  

Last edited by Sheel : 26th June 2023 at 12:55. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
Old 20th June 2023, 05:34   #4539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabhu View Post
Is the 7-slot grill on your Thar a genuine accessory from Mahindra? or Is it aftermarket? I liked your Thar with this specific 7-slot grill having orange color LEDs. Looks awesome.
At this moment, there is no Official Mahindra Radiator Grille offered as an accessory. Many Thar owners have changed the radiator grille to aftermarket ones, resembling the Jeep’s 7 slot grille. Aftermarket grilles are available in plenty.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 11:25   #4540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravishankr89 View Post
-
- Fuel economy is bad. In the city, I get 6.6-6.7 calculated tank to tank. 300kms for a full tank. On the highway, I've got 8kmpl max. Nothing more. I've driven the car for about 4500kms in 10months. Hoping this gets a little better. Let's see
Thanks for your response. Dealer is trying to push me towards Petrol RWD AT for early delivery but considering the fact that my usage will also be heavily in city, petrol wont be a great choice considering the above figures.
Old 20th June 2023, 17:15   #4541
BHPian

Recently I filled to the brim, did the customary shaking of the Thar Diesel few times and filled again. The DTE showed around 700+ after fill up. We went from Chennai to Nelliampathy after Pollachi, spent two days of off roading and returned TN border and then only I filled again. I was really astonished with the frugality of Thar D AT. Yes, I did use cruise for around 100+ kms especially after the midnight truck chaos in the NH 45. Onward I like this route to Pollachi via NH-45 then on to Perambalur by pass. Some dual carriage ways but almost no traffic and beautiful scenic road side. For return I take the Coimbatore bypass. With the excellent road conditions I get around 14 easily and in some stretch more where the speed limits are less (upto Kerala -TN border)

300+ kms in the petrol AT is something impractical for my kind of style and surely will cause anxieties for me especially as I do extensive hill/ghat driving plus off roading. Jerry cans can help but still... It's like the comfort one get with in built battery capacity vs carrying additional batteries in a DSLR....
Old 21st June 2023, 00:32   #4542
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your response. Dealer is trying to push me towards Petrol RWD AT for early delivery but considering the fact that my usage will also be heavily in city, petrol wont be a great choice considering the above figures.
Absolutely! If your usage is mostly in the city and you plan to use it everyday then go for the diesel RWD. The wait will be worth it The petrol is a guzzler for sure. My usage is pretty minimal so diesel was a bad idea and the mileage doesn't matter much for my usage.
ravishankr89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 09:40   #4543
BHPian

Quote:
Showroom accessories : I got the DHC headlamp, Black mirror inserts, 7 slot grill, reverse camera & front sensors.
The car looks cool with the mods. Are the headlights and grill standard showroom accessories. I don't see them in Mahindra site. Hence asking

The LX comes with a reverse camera right. Have you upgraded it?
Old 21st June 2023, 10:46   #4544
BHPian

@mickey. Nice review, brother. You seem to have a splendid garage. I would love to read more about your garage, particularly your ownership of one of my favorite cars, the Lamborghini Huracan as well as the Porsche Boxster. Cheers!
mugen_pinaki27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 11:38   #4545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I went to take the delivery in my most favourite car from my garage.( see pictures attached for reference)

[
This tread was very helpful in me buying Thar.
Thank you guys!
What a garage you mist have!
The Lambo is certainly in Distinguished Company I must say!

Last edited by Axe77 : 22nd June 2023 at 11:24. Reason: Minor typo.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed