Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2023, 12:02   #4321
BHPian

Re: bought Thar top model. Or did I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothercar View Post
Hi Folks,

It's a weird question: Which Variant did I buy?

Last week, brought home Thar Diesel AT, 4X4 2023, LX. Supposedly its the top model. That is , with MLD.

Now the thing is, there is no way I could figure out whether I have been supplied a With MLD or Without MLD variant.

Is there a way to figure out? By visual inspection of some mech component or preferably by the model code?

Invoice says: Thar LX D AT 4WD 4S HT RED RG SE

Hi, There is a picture of the rear diff on my That Diesel AT 4x4 with MLD.

Look for a similar sticker on your vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_9008.jpg  

ballfry is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 13:15   #4322

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfry View Post

Oh this is good, Lemme get under it. Wouldn't be difficult to get there though! Thanks a lot!
Old 1st May 2023, 14:15   #4323

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfry View Post

thanks a lot, it turned out to be MLD finally.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-photo20230501141152.jpg  

anothercar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 17:33   #4324
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
For any and all Thar owners who might be looking for accessories. I just got an sms today offering a Flat 50% off on M2All.
A stock clearance sale. I heard that Mahindra is shutting down M2All. Quite sad for Mahindra owners as they had a good range of accessories. I got my camo-style Thar cover from M2All and am very pleased with the price & quality.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-2d.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-2e.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaniv14 View Post
Tires are 265/65/17 with 8j steelies!
Great choice! Your Jeep looks fantastic.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 18:10   #4325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A stock clearance sale. I heard that Mahindra is shutting down M2All. Quite sad for Mahindra owners as they had a good range of accessories. I got my camo-style Thar cover from M2All and am very pleased with the price & quality.

Attachment 2446050

Attachment 2446051
Good choice, why the brick stopping the rear wheel? M&M unreliability at work here? Or peace of mind, in case of rollback.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 18:19   #4326
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Good choice, why the brick stopping the rear wheel?
Habit from the old days & the old Jeep. The slope is very steep and a vehicle left in "N" will crush any passerby walking on the driveways. It happens. Even actor Anton Yelchin was killed by his parked Jeep rolling back.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 18:33   #4327
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A stock clearance sale. I heard that Mahindra is shutting down M2All. Quite sad for Mahindra owners as they had a good range of accessories. I.
M2ALL just didn’t cut it in terms of UI and UX. Clunky. Terrible customer interface. Service totally uncoordinated. Merchandise was iffy. Hit or miss. Some products were good. Many were terrible.
They just don’t have the DNA to handle e commerce and serve customers properly in terms of merchandise. Which is why their retail venture also simply shut down.
If they had had some foresight they would have out sourced and licensed the whole operation to professionals in that space.
Or they would have invested like Royal Enfleld did, in a full fledged design and merchandising team for accessories. It would have been a serious business. Easily contributing 15-20% extra to their bottomline.
Indeed, as soon as I was in the Thar mood in 2020 and when I saw their accessories catalogue and some of their products, I wrote to the ‘powers that were’ citing exactly the above points and offering suggestions.
But to no avail.
shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 23:22   #4328

Would anyone like to share their long term ownership experience with their cars? More specifically how the quality and fit and finish holds up after say 40-50-60k or more kms. Today I had some free time and was around a Mahindra dealership in Delhi so I decided to check out a Diesel Manual Thar and visited the dealer first due to unavailability i drove the 4x2 Diesel Thar and felt the drive to be okay and performance better than I expected as the engine was refined and surprisingly to me quite punchy it was a new demo car with around 2k kms so the clutch was smooth and gears felt good and the car was in overall good condition and even had the same new car smell my Petrol Manual Thar had, then after returning from the TD the SA offered a Diesel 4x4 Manual with the 2.2 mHawk and the car happened to be a customer car and had about 60k kms, this is where the story started.

From the very first interaction the car felt like it had been used and abused, the door closing thud felt weird and loose and then upon pressing the clutch it made a squeaking noise and it felt extremely rubbery and springy. Then came the gear stick I like gear sticks or gears shifts to feel crisp, precise and direct but in this particular car the gears were rubbery and even after I put it in gear say 2nd the gear stick would move around a little like a game controller joystick which I felt absolutely destroyed the experience and this is where I started to have nightmares of my beloved and precious Thar becoming the same once it starts raking up the miles and begins ageing. Although I drive and enjoy my car with lot of care and patience, would my car too end up the same way because all Mahindras and especially Thars are not built to last or endure like say a Toyota or Suzuki? Or did I just have a one off experience where I came across a severely used and abused example of a Thar? Therefore any feedback or long term experience regarding your Thar shall be highly appreciated.

Kindly pardon any grammatical error or writing or typing mistake I may have made.
Old 2nd May 2023, 05:45   #4329
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDonGogoi View Post
Would anyone like to share their long term ownership experience with their cars? More specifically how the quality and fit and finish holds up after say 40-50-60k or more kms. Although I drive and enjoy my car with lot of care and patience, would my car too end up the same way because all Mahindras and especially Thars are not built to last or endure like say a Toyota or Suzuki? Or did I just have a one off experience where I came across a severely used and abused example of a Thar? Therefore any feedback or long term experience regarding your Thar shall be highly appreciated. .
Honestly I think you are worrying too much.

The example you saw was probably an one-off - very hard used by multiple drivers and left more or less uncared for.

My own experience with Mahindra vehicles in general has been that they last and last and last and generally hold up perfectly fine (in a Jeepy sort of way), even when they are used as full-time work horses with near-zero rest time, and with just basic maintenance being carried out from time to time.

If used well and at the same time cared for with the maintenance schedule adhered to properly and if kept clean both inside and outside (as with any car), these things can happily last over 20 years. They are strong vehicles. Meant to take the challenges of a harsh climatic and overall operating environment.

In very extreme climates, especially where there is really harsh sun, if the vehicle is just left in out in all weathers, yes, you will see a deterioration of plastics and upholstery and all, over time. The hard top for example, being made of an FRP material in a dark grey, will definitely fade if left out in the beating Indian Sun. But this would normally hold good for any vehicle.

Like I said, I wouldn’t worry too much. Mahindra vehicles are generally tough and reliable and last for years.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 2nd May 2023 at 05:46.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 10:53   #4330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaniv14 View Post
Hey Guys!

Got Tharred finally after a wait of almost 2 months! Got my black beauty after a lot of follow ups and constant setbacks! And to say the least, she has been worth the wait, and how!
That is one beautiful car. It makes me want to go the nearest Mahindra showroom and write down a cheque to them against all better judgement . Can you share more details on the wheels like cost/source etc.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 10:58   #4331
BHPian

Quote:
*SNIP*the SA offered a Diesel 4x4 Manual with the 2.2 mHawk and the car happened to be a customer car *SNIP*
It was very wrong of the SA to have "volunteered" a customer's car for a test drive; and it was wrong of you to have accepted it.

If it had been your car that was given to some random person for a test drive, would you be OK with it?

Cheers
tilt is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 12:08   #4332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
That is one beautiful car. It makes me want to go the nearest Mahindra showroom and write down a cheque to them against all better judgement . Can you share more details on the wheels like cost/source etc.
Thank you! And yes if it helps with your decision making, Thar does make a damn good daily driver.

I too played around with the idea of buying for more than 6 months before I went ahead and booked it. That and couple of dealer changes later, got her home finally

As to your question, sourced the tyres and wheels from a distributor in Bangalore, costed around 1.6 lacs including transportation and installation.

As they say, “Hou de kharcha”
yaniv14 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 13:00   #4333

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
It was very wrong of the SA to have "volunteered" a customer's car for a test drive; and it was wrong of you to have accepted it.

If it had been your car that was given to some random person for a test drive, would you be OK with it?

Cheers
Agreed. I should not have accepted the TD and should have put some more thought before jumping into someone else car without their consent. And the fact that this could have happened the other way around and had my car been given to someone else without me knowing I would be absolutely furious and would not have accepted, although I was very caring while driving the car I may not be so fortunate and my car might just be put in the hands of a not so considerate driver which is a very painful thought to bear. I shall be very much more mindful in the future under such circumstances while going for TDs in dealerships and even more careful while giving my car for service to dealers.

Thanks
TheDonGogoi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 21:35   #4334
BHPian

Quote:
Would anyone like to share their long term ownership experience with their cars? More specifically how the quality and fit and finish holds up after say 40-50-60k or more kms. Today I had some free time and was around a Mahindra dealership in Delhi so I decided to check out a Diesel Manual Thar and visited the dealer first due to unavailability i drove the 4x2 Diesel Thar and felt the drive to be okay and performance better than I expected as the engine was refined and surprisingly to me quite punchy it was a new demo car with around 2k kms so the clutch was smooth and gears felt good and the car was in overall good condition and even had the same new car smell my Petrol Manual Thar had, then after returning from the TD the SA offered a Diesel 4x4 Manual with the 2.2 mHawk and the car happened to be a customer car and had about 60k kms, this is where the story started.

From the very first interaction the car felt like it had been used and abused, the door closing thud felt weird and loose and then upon pressing the clutch it made a squeaking noise and it felt extremely rubbery and springy. Then came the gear stick I like gear sticks or gears shifts to feel crisp, precise and direct but in this particular car the gears were rubbery and even after I put it in gear say 2nd the gear stick would move around a little like a game controller joystick which I felt absolutely destroyed the experience and this is where I started to have nightmares of my beloved and precious Thar becoming the same once it starts raking up the miles and begins ageing. Although I drive and enjoy my car with lot of care and patience, would my car too end up the same way because all Mahindras and especially Thars are not built to last or endure like say a Toyota or Suzuki? Or did I just have a one off experience where I came across a severely used and abused example of a Thar? Therefore any feedback or long term experience regarding your Thar shall be highly appreciated.

Kindly pardon any grammatical error or writing or typing mistake I may have made.
An important aspect that may have factored your driving experience:

1. Thar 4x2: 1.5 liter with different GB
2. Thar 4x4: 2.2 liter with a different GB

In the thar rwd thread, the reviewer and some teambhpians have mentioned how the clutch action is so smooth and petrol car like. Probably attributable to the characteristic of 1.5 engine (which also does duty in XUV300 if we need a second reference).

Mahindra is a very competitive and ever evolving company. I wont be surprised that the current Thar iteration (esp RWD) is more refined and better product than 2 yrs old Thar 2.2 (4x4).
Grr7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 22:20   #4335
BHPian

Quote:

The last thing you should worry about Mahindra is about it's ruggedness and for that matter reliability when it comes to drivetrains. Electricals and electronics big YES. They are error prone but the speed with which they are improving is really to be appreciated being indigenous and mostly home grown development. I recently had an opportunity to drive some super duper abused 4WD Thars and they held up very well. Even though the odos shows 40k or around they are equivalent to 150k kms worth of abuse they should have taken by being driven in those off road tracks. FYI some 40k in odo samples behaved far better than some 15k ones. It's not easy to judge cars. I drive a 2.2 4WD Auto and I had a Wrangler 3.6 V6 belive me Thar is anyday feels far better in many areas - including providing confidence. You know what happened today? My neighbourhood roads are completely broken down and now full of slush - 1 feet in some areas due to the recent Chennai rains, lorries and tata aces which were stuck in those slightly deep mud/slush. Took my Thar put it on 4L and just drove out of the road when people were wondering what this idiot is doing as they don't know what Thar is capable of. Thar just did a cakewalk. Bottom-line: Mahindras mechanicals are the best in Indian manufacturers when it comes to reliability and abuse; added bonus is they are easy to fix. I NEVER thought I'll use 4L right out of my home/steps.

Last edited by sgmuser : 3rd May 2023 at 22:22.
sgmuser is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks