Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2023, 15:59   #4261
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Something strange happened today with my D AT. I drove around 12 kms, parked under a tree. Then left in my friends car and came back after two plus hours. Drove my car another 5-7 kms and a strange smell came. I switched off the AC to check if it's coming from AC vents. Felt far better and continue to drive. Then smoke started coming lightly from drive area right behind the steering column and kind of panicked. Stopped the car immediately and checked. Opened the bonnet and found that a part heavily heat protected and a metal pipe next to it showing some kind of heat and burn marks. Since it's new car with around 380+ kms on odo there was a ribbon tied and removed it just in case as it was also showing burn or smoke marks i.e. blackened. Parked the car on side of the road nearby my house and locked it. Took an autorickshaw and reached home. Any idea what happened is nothing alarming? Because the service personnel from Mahindra says nothing to be worried. But asked them to come and have a look before I drive. If experts can share your thoughts that would be great. I have some photos and I'll share little later. Thanks in advance. Btw what's the RSA number for Mahindra please. Just in case.
sgmuser is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 16:45   #4262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
Opened the bonnet and found that a part heavily heat protected and a metal pipe next to it showing some kind of heat and burn marks.
I think the heavily protected part you are saying is the diesel particulate filter(DPF). It gets very hot. All newer diesel vehicles have this(BS6). Soot burning/regeneration happens inside this. I've noticed this becoming brownish/burnt in many vehicles and I think it is common as the heat during regeneration is very high. I don't think there's anything to be worried about burnt marks but check around it to see if any thing has come into contact with this. Smell may be from something that has touched it. Note: Be careful and do not touch it, it may be very very hot.
SteeringWheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 17:20   #4263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeringWheel View Post
I think the heavily protected part you are saying is the diesel particulate filter(DPF). It gets very hot. All newer diesel vehicles have this(BS6). Soot burning/regeneration happens inside this. I've noticed this becoming brownish/burnt in many vehicles and I think it is common as the heat during regeneration is very high. I don't think there's anything to be worried about burnt marks but check around it to see if any thing has come into contact with this. Smell may be from something that has touched it. Note: Be careful and do not touch it, it may be very very hot.
Thanks bud for the quick reply. Previously the regen message didn't show up but after RSA came and he took a test drive spritedly now we get more smoke from the bonnet. He took photos and videos. I am calling a flatbed as the RSA guy also not comfortable driving as there was lots of smoke. Waiting for the flat bed truck now. Mahindra o Mahindra. You need to go a long way when it comes to reliability. Thought 3 years is good enough to iron out atleast fundamentals. Also the regen beep and a regen glow icon is showing up but to me it's more serious.

Last edited by sgmuser : 13th April 2023 at 17:23.
sgmuser is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 22:14   #4264
BHPian

Btw mine is BS 6.2 and could be the beta tester for 6.2. Will update after the diagnosis tomorrow. No sign of any malfunctioning with OBD scan by RSA. During the test drive by the RSA there was the DPF clogged message along with lots of smoke from under the hood. Poor QC by M and M. This is what the difference between Mahindra and foreign manufacturers like Suzuki, Hyundai or even Renault for that matter. While stranded on road I saw a Alturas and i was like
sgmuser is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 11:24   #4265
Distinguished - BHPian

New colour? Looked good.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20230414_102734.jpg  

Old 14th April 2023, 12:28   #4266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
New colour? Looked good.
It's Mystic Copper. It's there since launch but may be the least seen color on road. The first thar that was auctioned was the same color.
SteeringWheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 12:40   #4267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
New colour? Looked good.
It's the Mystic Copper color that was discontinued few days back.
Knightrider is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 14:48   #4268
BHPian

The recent batch Thars are coming with updated software that also shows DEF levels. Is the new software update coming for older batches as well?
Old 14th April 2023, 17:20   #4269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadavsid21 View Post
The recent batch Thars are coming with updated software that also shows DEF levels. Is the new software update coming for older batches as well?
I don't think so.
In my last service I asked to update my software to include the new DEF LEVEL indicator but the service Advisor said no update has come for the "info display" and updated my Infotainment System only.
techfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 19:55   #4270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
Btw mine is BS 6.2 and could be the beta tester for 6.2. Will update after the diagnosis tomorrow. No sign of any malfunctioning with OBD scan by RSA. During the test drive by the RSA there was the DPF clogged message along with lots of smoke from under the hood. Poor QC by M and M. This is what the difference between Mahindra and foreign manufacturers like Suzuki, Hyundai or even Renault for that matter. While stranded on road I saw a Alturas and i was like
The Thar is back. There was a loose sleeve/ring combo that was shown as the culprit. It was replaced with a new one after the MRV helped to pinpoint the issue. I test drove along with a technician for almost a 100 kms the car is as it was in original condition. We touched 140kmph to test it for a short while and the ride is impeccable for a breadbox shaped vehicle. Let's hope for the best. The email to customer service of Mahindra still unanswered. But the call seems far more worth giving a shot. The executive on call connected me with service GM in a moment. So it's true that M's customer service is a hit or miss. The dealer was actually far more supportive even though it's a holiday here. Thumbs up.
sgmuser is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th April 2023, 22:33   #4271
BHPian

Hello Fellow Thar owners,

I am planning to install a roof rack on my P MT 4x4 Thar. Checked out couple of options from a Bimbra dealer (Auto Style, Koramangala) here in Bangalore. Please share your experience with roof racks on petrol Thar. Is there any drop in mileage or ride quality. In the long run i am also planning to install a roof box on top of this. Please let me know your experience with these fitments on Petrol Thar.

TIA,
ak10
Old 17th April 2023, 08:16   #4272
Senior - BHPian

Just a small update on this thread.
We drove the Thar (P AT HT) for a museum weekend at Hyderabad.
I had filled up around 36 litres Petrol the previous weekend to make a full tank because my plan was to take the Thar to Madras and back but I ended up taking the Cooper instead.
Anyway I had done some amount of internal driving in the Thar during that week but the tank in any case was showing full. The last fill was at 20867kms. We left my house for Hyderabad with the odo at 20900kms.
We filled petrol about on the way to Hyderabad in a big HP pump some way after the half way point marked by Hotel Hampi Blue Moon Delight where we stopped for breakfast and when the odo was at 21900 - 323kms since the last fill. The vehicle took in 30 litres so the FE is around 10.8kmpl. (normal petrol is expensive in TS at Rs 111.13 per litre) We then drove straight on to Hyderabad with a few short stops here and there and the usual battling through city traffic and so on and finally reached with the odo reading showing 21489. Inside Hyderabad we drove a little around Husain Sagar lake early morning the next day and a little bit of here and there through the city. The main visits to museums etc were done in the hotel car with their driver for reasons of pure convenience.
When we left Hyderabad we were at 21526kms and we filled a full tank at Shamshabad at that point. The vehicle took in 34 litres (normal petrol is expensive in Hyderabad at Rs 109.58 per litre). So the consumption now is at 9.88kmpl.
We then drove through the day, with a stop at the Pyramid Food stop for a cold butter milk and all, the. At a small place in Kurnool for a very light bite, then again outside Kurnool just off the road on a farm track to eat some fruit and again at an HP Pump in the middle of nowhere but which had an Amul outlet, because we felt the urge to eat iced lollies - it was in the afternoon heat. We kept driving until the DTE had come down to about 100km. And finally after crossing the KA border after Lepakshi and Bagepalli, well before Nandi Hills and all, we stopped at a nice Big HP pump which had apparently just received fresh stocks of fuel (we saw the tanker lorry finishing up the fill and going out as we entered). We were at 22022km and we took in 45 litres. (Thankfully Petrol in that part of KA is priced more reasonably at 102.44) and luckily in the city it comes down to 101.9 or so..) Anyway this means the vehicle returned 11.02kmpl which is pretty good also considering driving through the heat of the day. I am sure that there will be some loss through evaporation etc especially when the vehicle is parked.
We got back through the city in the evening traffic and finally parked up with the odo sitting at a reading of 22087kms in 26 months of ownership.

And now marks a nice long trip of 1220 kms on an excellent highway. Most of this Hyderabad trip’s driving was done with cruise control on and we stayed at the 80-90kmph speed and never crossing 100kmph. This was for the overall comfort of everyone in the vehicle (Dad, me and my wife plus light luggage by way of soft duffel bags and small knapsacks and the usual water and fruit and sandwiches). I drove most of the way up and down. My 80 year old Dad took the wheel for a couple of hundred kms just to ‘spell me’. He also drove at a constant 70-80kmph with cruise control on.

I was never tempted to go at higher speeds and was quite happy to be overtaken by all manner of vehicles. Mostly kept to the left lane. There wasn't all that much traffic. Occasional bif trucks trying to overtake each other and blocking the lanes and some helmetless rider propelled two wheelers but not much else.

For us to overtake required sharper acceleration to get past a few slower vehicles and the occasional unruly traffic needed sharp braking. And of course the regular stops and starts and minor detours to pit stops etc eats away at the mileage.

But on the whole if one drives steadily and uses cruise control it is possible to get reasonable mileage from the Thar considering the big powerful and thirsty 2 litre Turbo unit that propels it.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_0356.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_0361.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_0348.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_0349.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_9896.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_9850.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_9710.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_9738.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_9729.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 17th April 2023 at 08:21.
shankar.balan is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 15:51   #4273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak10 View Post
Hello Fellow Thar owners,

I am planning to install a roof rack on my P MT 4x4 Thar. Checked out couple of options from a Bimbra dealer (Auto Style, Koramangala) here in Bangalore. Please share your experience with roof racks on petrol Thar. Is there any drop in mileage or ride quality. In the long run i am also planning to install a roof box on top of this. Please let me know your experience with these fitments on Petrol Thar.

TIA,
ak10
The roof rack that is just made of metal pipes shouldn't be a great upsetter when it comes to CoG. But the actual luggages that are heavy considerably could make significant impact on CoG especially when we are used to the original CoG and we might tend to make the same assumption, from my experience.

Roof racks that are closed boxes will make some impact on the over all aerodynamics of the car even if it's empty and more when it's loaded as well. I would stay away doing this type in Thar.
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 18:47   #4274
BHPian

Need help:

I am looking to modify rear seats to individual seats that slide and tumble both.

Right now i see an option with Bimbra 4x4 but they provide the full bench slide and tumble only, instead of individual seats.

I found some videos on youtube where people have modified rear seats, however its mostly either bench fold or bench tumble. Found one video from a modifier in coimbatore who has done individual tumble but then it doesn't have slide function. Dinesh from DCV expedition has got rear seat splitted and individual slide done, but they don't tumble.

I need the rear seats to be individual, slide and tumble both. Haven't seen any that can do both yet.

Has anyone got the rear seats changed to captain seats or modified rear seats to be individual by cutting the bench from center?

Any suggestions for good modifiers in Jaipur, Gurugram or New Delhi for this?
Old 18th April 2023, 07:43   #4275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trends2day View Post
Need help:

I am looking to modify rear seats to individual seats that slide and tumble both.
New Delhi for this?
In Delhi your best bet will be Karol Bagh, go there early in the morning, then hunt around, I'm sure you'll find a good modifier.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks