Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2023, 12:29   #4231
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabhu View Post
Dear GTO, Where did you order the AVO suspension from? Can you please share the contact details?
I had gotten AVO suspension fitted at Xenex in Hyderabad and it costed ~1.2L
ballfry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 13:47   #4232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Next time notice the instrument cluster, it's usually accompanied by all the lights going off and coming back on i have seen it multiple times in my 20.5k kms. Petrol HT Auto from Oct 21.
Have no clue why it happens but it does for a very quick second or so.
Yes, this happens once in a while for me too. But the one i mentioned above was different. It lasted longer and kept beeping like a mobile phone ringtone. Lasted for something like 10sec. I did not get it again anytime after these two occasions. Some unsorted bugs then i presume! How can we even report this to mahindra if they are not reproducible. May be next time i will try to take a video when this happens.
ak10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 15:25   #4233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak10 View Post
Yes, this happens once in a while for me too. But the one i mentioned above was different. It lasted longer and kept beeping like a mobile phone ringtone. Lasted for something like 10sec. I did not get it again anytime after these two occasions. Some unsorted bugs then i presume! How can we even report this to mahindra if they are not reproducible. May be next time i will try to take a video when this happens.
Strange, is there a chance that the hand brake wasn't disengaged completely? But i agree these small bugs can't be reported otherwise. Hope you dont face it again
Old 5th April 2023, 18:29   #4234

I received a surprisingly generous mileage on my Petrol MT Hardtop Thar on the highway recently which I am sure others would find interesting.
Route: Highway of about 290 kms with one stop (including a drive of ~20 kms through congested traffic).
Tire pressure: A bit on higher side with about 35psi’s against the recommended 32psi’s
Speed: Cruise set at 75 kmph in 6th for over 70% of the time and never exceeded 80 kmph as I really wanted to see how much can be extracted from the engine.
Efficiency displayed on MID: 16.3 kmpl
Efficiency calculated tank to tank: 15.06 kmpl
Attached is a screenshot of the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-fe.png  

Auto70 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 14:03   #4235

Hey,

Trying to renew my insurance Own Damange(policybazaar, United India) for BH series registered Thar, but not able to.

Has anyone renewed their insurance with RTI cover?

Policybazaar: Agent said to call insurer directly, BH insurance can't be done.
(New car was done with chasis/engine number , had done the registration afterwards)

Insurance Dekho: Recommended Future Generali, had asked them for policy wording, they never got back
ICICI Lombard: No RTI cover
Acko: No RTI cover
Digit: Request callback multiple times, not able to get in touch.
Old 6th April 2023, 18:00   #4236
BHPian

Finally, after cancelling the bookings two times I bit the bullet and taking delivery of D AT HT aquamarine blue 4x4 tomorrow. Getting some accessories installed like protections for underbody and radiator etc. Then considering some good useful bimbra accessories as well. But my most important upgrade I want to do is the Avo suspension upgrade. Looks like it's out of stock in Coimbatore. Hopefully I can get it soon.

I would like to know if anyone swapped the tires to something like Bridgestone or Michelin to improve overall ride and grip. I'm not sure about CEAT and I never used them. I had good experience with MRF in my INNOVA. Any suggestions to acheive optimum performance from the tyre upgrade? I will do this upgrade asap.
sgmuser is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 19:15   #4237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
I'm not sure about CEAT and I never used them. I had good experience with MRF in my INNOVA. Any suggestions to acheive optimum performance from the tyre upgrade? I will do this upgrade asap.
Ive been using the OEM Ceat Czar for 2 years across all sorts of terrain and usage patterns and find it perfectly adequate.
The newer vehicles come with Ceat Cross Drives which I believe are good tyres.
The MRF Wanderers too are good tyres.
Tyres are very expensive these days. A set of 4 will probably set you back by minimum 60K to 1 lac depending on which brand. And unless you do the swap immediately on taking delivery you wont get much resale for the OEM tyres.
I would therefore suggest that you let these OEM tyres run their course and then upgrade after 30-35K Kms and/ or 3-4 years of use.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2023, 21:38   #4238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Ive been using the OEM Ceat Czar for 2 years across all sorts of terrain and usage patterns and find it perfectly adequate.
Tyres are very expensive these days. A set of 4 will probably set you back by minimum 60K to 1 lac depending on which brand. And unless you do the swap immediately on taking delivery you wont get much resale for the OEM tyres.
I would therefore suggest that you let these OEM tyres run their course and then upgrade after 30-35K Kms and/ or 3-4 years of use.
Took delivery of Thar today. I'm surprised with the refinement from the 2023 Feb Thar BS 6.2. The bounciness is controlled or atleast better than the 2021 and 2022 ones I test drove. So, the tyre upgrade is not required immediately it looks like as you mentioned unless otherwise the equivalent Bridgestone or Michelin can make a sea of difference in ride quality. The 2.2 mHawk is sweet and super refined. It's a gem of its own. I am sold on it itself.

Sound system lacks any bass or sparkle but still livable. Rest all feels good and can't wait it for a real ride.
sgmuser is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th April 2023, 11:46   #4239
BHPian

Quote:
Tyres are very expensive these days........
How much would the tyres last?
I have done 23000km and just about 25-30% tread has worn out in last 2 yrs. My usage is 90% highway rest trails & off roading etc.

My veh has come with MRF WANDERERS as OE tyre.

Last edited by techfreak : 8th April 2023 at 11:47.
Old 9th April 2023, 08:33   #4240
BHPian

Hey guys,

Celebrated my Thar CT M D's first birthday by gifting her a pair of Hella 700FFs. She has run 11k on odo averaging 12.8kmpl.

Had previously upgraded the HL bulbs to Osram H4 LEDs. They were a huge improvement over stock halogens, with nice spread in lows and good throw during highs. But I still struggled during one of my night drives through deep forest ghat roads. It was very hard to see the edge of the road while using high beams, when flipped to low, it was near impossible to see the curves ahead.

How I wished, I could use both low and high together. I did not want to spluge either, so decided on the 700FFs over Bimbra clamps. Their beam pattern is more like pencils but wider

I plan to use Hellas for throw and the OE HL for lows. Keeping fingers crossed ��
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20230330wa0002.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20230330wa0004.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230330_191441.jpg  

Last edited by dr.dre : 9th April 2023 at 08:40.
dr.dre is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 16:32   #4241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
How much would the tyres last?
I have done 23000km and just about 25-30% tread has worn out in last 2 yrs. My usage is 90% highway rest trails & off roading etc.

My veh has come with MRF WANDERERS as OE tyre.
Ive done 21000 kms
90% highways
10% trails and mid and rocks etc

My tyres will happily give me another 15000kms. The thing is I do practice the tyre balancing, wheel alignment and tyre rotation discipline every 5000-6000 kms.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 09:14   #4242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
Guys, I got a new floor mat installed today on my Thar. Honestly, this is one of the rarest high quality aftermarket accessories I found compatible for the new Thar. It snug fits perfectly and is of high quality too. Brand name is GFX Life Long from Galio India. Total damage incurred was Rs. 2800/- and I highly recommend this one for all Thar owners over the so called 7D types which in my opinion is a bit over done with its stitching design and asthetics. This GFX one goes very well with the rugged interior looks of our Jeep too..
Hi highwaypatrol. Could you please give me the GFX dealer in Bangalore's contact? I need lifelong foot mats and boot mat for my new Tiago
Old 10th April 2023, 09:23   #4243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ive done 21000 kms
90% highways
10% trails and mid and rocks etc
I understand one does not buy a Thar for FE but for the sake of being aware what is the average FE on the highways for your petrol AT version.

Thanks,
Old 10th April 2023, 10:01   #4244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I understand one does not buy a Thar for FE but for the sake of being aware what is the average FE on the highways for your petrol AT version.

Thanks,
Much has been written about this too.
Short answer
10-11 kmpl on highways if driven sensibly. Can be eked to 12 kmpl. Hills and all 7-9kmpl
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 11:22   #4245
BHPian

Hi,

For the people who have gotten the AVO suspension installed. Have they had any issues with it or have had to reach out to Arka for help?

My front left shock absorber developed some play in the main steel rod that gets mounted into the vehicle. Arka asked for both the front shocks to investigate and now they have been sitting with Arka for 3 weeks with no answer as to will they be replaced or repaired.

My local supplier was nice enough to put in the stock shocks in the front so that I can still use the car.
Turbolove is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks