Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2023, 17:16   #4186

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Can anyone here share their experience with upgraded tyres? I thinking about upgrading my alloys and tyres to Fuel Coverts as seen on Scorpio N post in the forum, but I dont think the stock tyres would look good with the alloys. So along with the alloys I am planning to change the tyres to Maxxis Bravo 980s. Most or all of my running is on road so I want to know more about how the tyres will affect the ride and driving dynamics ON Road before upgrading to even more off road oriented tyres.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-17d6bcb6cc24489b822f4a5e130454e3.jpeg  

TheDonGogoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 18:43   #4187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDonGogoi View Post
alloys and tyres to Fuel Coverts as seen on Scorpio N post in the forum, but I dont think the stock tyres would look good with the alloys.
o change the tyres to Maxxis Bravo 980s. Most or all of my running is on road so I want to know more about how the tyres will affect the ride and driving dynamics ON Roads.
1. Yes the alloys look good.
2. The stock Ceat tyres are really very good tyres as are the MRFs. Ive been using them more than 2 years and no complaints. My usage, is 90% on road and highway and city and 10% off road on rutted tracks and estate roads, mud and slush and grasslands. I am no longer interested in casual leisure off-roading and ‘vehicle capability testing’. Been there and done that aplenty.
3. It is true that an Up SIZE by way of these Alloys and the Maxxis 980 AT will make the vehicle look much more aggressive.
4. It is equally true that these are on the larger side with bigger tread sipes and are definitely more Off Road and Rough terrain oriented than On Road.
5. You say your usage like mine, is mostly On Road. I would therefore question the very need to do such a change.
6. Instead of spending the 1.25 odd lakh or more for this, my suggestion is to invest 1.15 lakh in a proper suspension upgrade because that is indeed a worthy investment in comfort and handling. I especially say this because your usage is primarily On Road.
7. Also, these bigger, fatter tyres will have a larger contact patch. They will provide more rolling resistance when On Road. And this will affect the fuel efficiency too.

Your Call.
shankar.balan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 00:32   #4188
BHPian

Hi team , I have a query, I can’t find ecosense in my infotainment at all. My car is Feb 2022 manufactured and took delivery on May 2022. Request members to please throw light on the possible solutions. I mainly want to use Ecosense for vehicle location tracking purposes to enhance overall car safety
Also, if Ecosense wasn’t part of Feb 2022 and before manufactured cars then , any idea how to make that feature active ?
Old 23rd March 2023, 07:05   #4189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
Hi team , I have a query, I can’t find ecosense in my infotainment at all. My car is Feb 2022 manufactured and took delivery on May 2022. Request members to please throw light on the possible solutions. I mainly want to use Ecosense for vehicle location tracking purposes to enhance overall car safety
Also, if Ecosense wasn’t part of Feb 2022 and before manufactured cars then , any idea how to make that feature active ?
I too have Feb 2022 Thar and dont have ecosense. Those who had this software feature also lost during subsequent infotainment updates.
Could you pls elaborate how ecosense would help track the location? AFAIK it rates how we drive the car.
Old 23rd March 2023, 16:23   #4190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadavsid21 View Post
I too have Feb 2022 Thar and dont have ecosense. Those who had this software feature also lost during subsequent infotainment updates.
Could you pls elaborate how ecosense would help track the location? AFAIK it rates how we drive the car.
Yes, I came across this supposedly official video from Mahindra that says Ecosense has a Vehicle Location Tracking feature as well. Sharing the video link as well.
It would be great if anyone can confirm if FEB 2022 Thars and prior ones to that ECOSENSE or not, and if not, would anyone be knowing how to get ECOSENSE?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot-20230323-4.18.49-pm.png  

Old 23rd March 2023, 17:21   #4191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
Yes, I came across this supposedly official video from Mahindra that says Ecosense has a Vehicle Location Tracking feature as well. Sharing the video link as well.
It would be great if anyone can confirm if FEB 2022 Thars and prior ones to that ECOSENSE or not, and if not, would anyone be knowing how to get ECOSENSE?
https://Youtu.be/ZWaZ25MF1Hk
I guess by this feature, the EcoSense would capture the GPS coordinates of trip start and end; and then can sync in the app, for the user to see it on some map application like gMaps. It does not mean that it would be tracking vehicle and sending that data to any server for location monitoring purpose.
purohitanuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 12:09   #4192
BHPian

Did the third free service last week. Odo was at 19,580 kms. Apart from the routine items like engine oil, filter, etc I requested service center to change front and rear differential oil as well. Total cost came around Rs.6600.

The only issue I had was the rattling sound from the roof, toward the driver side. Advisor informed me that it was a common issue for majority of Thar's. This was rectified during this service.

I have ordered Pro-man Grab Handles and Door Hinge step. Will post the pics after fitting the same.
MithunSathianat is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 15:50   #4193
Senior - BHPian

I'm a bit skeptical about the Proman Grab Handles. An Aluminium Structure so close to my head. Not really comfortable with this thought. It isn't even covered with some kind of a semi hard plastic or something.

Especially since this is the direction in which the head gets jerked in case of an accident or roll over. The part where it fastens in the stock grab handle location is particularly close to the head if the seat is at a higher setting.

I was nearly about the order. The damn thing looks so beautifully machined and anodized. But this thought just held me back. One knock and a fractured skull! Shivers run down my spine!
navpreet318 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 10:40   #4194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
I'm a bit skeptical about the Proman Grab Handles. An Aluminium Structure so close to my head. Not really comfortable with this thought. It isn't even covered with some kind of a semi hard plastic or something.
I got these installed a couple of weeks back. Like you say, beautifully machined and very functional. I too use a higher setting for the drivers side but it does not impede or come close to being in the way.

I had the same doubt as you about safety, so ordered it just to check and it’s quite decent. Another option worth considering is fixing the plastic grab handle on top and attaching a soft grab handle (the ones provided at the rear roll bar) on top of the plastic grab handle. Hope this helps.
Kapany is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 14:18   #4195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapany View Post
I got these installed a couple of weeks back. Like you say, beautifully machined and very functional. I too use a higher setting for the drivers side but it does not impede or come close to being in the way.

I had the same doubt as you about safety, so ordered it just to check and it’s quite decent. Another option worth considering is fixing the plastic grab handle on top and attaching a soft grab handle (the ones provided at the rear roll bar) on top of the plastic grab handle. Hope this helps.

Irrespective of however well machined and all these ProMan and other metal handles are, somehow I have a mental block because being tall, I am afraid of bashing my head on them.

This is why, as I have illustrated in the past on this and other Thar threads, I have done a small jugaad which can be seen in the attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-1e395ca850fa4ea6ac8a258416f8c37e.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-02842b583699418189c238dd26ca682e.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-8041d7d1ed284e9bbbf9c1fdcace9099.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 15:09   #4196
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDonGogoi View Post
Can anyone here share their experience with upgraded tyres?
I researched a lot about tyre upgrades for the Thar and finally went for 285s because the size is freely available.

- Two brands, primarily. Maxxis Bravos and BF Goodrich in the market. Surprisingly, most people recommended the Maxxis. Better on-road, lighter and half the price!

- I contemplated going to 305 mm, but it was overkill. If you want to upgrade, 285s are the best on 18" rims.

- They look real bad-ass. I got 285s fitted on 9.5J rims and the stance is meaty.

- I am satisfied with the Maxxis 980's performance. Was a bit sceptical as I have always been a Michelin or Yokohama guy, but so far (2000 km), so good.

- Have heard good things about the quality of Fuel alloy wheels. If you like that design, go ahead & pull the trigger.

- Jeep Tyres India has a lot of stock (rims & tyres, both). Check them out.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230312_172325.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 26th March 2023 at 15:11.
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 21:56   #4197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I researched a lot about tyre upgrades for the Thar and finally went for 285s because the size is freely available.
Waiting for the review of your Thar especially all the mods.
Kapany is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 01:54   #4198
BHPian

2 upgrades done. This was due for a long time and done via Prad4x4. Roof rack and GTR projectors.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20230325_161234.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20230325_174326.jpg  

swunkjyn is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 12:25   #4199
BHPian

I have made a booking for white 4x4 PAT, 3-5 months waiting is what i am told. I am okay with galaxy grey too, SA says P-AT dispatch has not started for BS6.2 versions. Diesel AT seems to be available in 2-3 weeks. The price difference is not huge and with in my budget, but keen on getting petrol as my usage is not more than 400 kms a month. Also Polo 1.0 TSI MT is making way for Thar. Any idea about waiting periods in other cities?
Old 28th March 2023, 12:34   #4200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post
I have made a booking for white 4x4 PAT, 3-5 months waiting is what i am told. I am okay with galaxy grey too, SA says P-AT dispatch has not started for BS6.2 versions. Diesel AT seems to be available in 2-3 weeks. The price difference is not huge and with in my budget, but keen on getting petrol as my usage is not more than 400 kms a month. Also Polo 1.0 TSI MT is making way for Thar. Any idea about waiting periods in other cities?
They usually quote 3/4 months of P AT. I got mine within a months time.
Not sure bout BS6.2 versions though.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks