Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2023, 20:03   #4141
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

@Kosfactor Thank you for the input . I don’t like meddling with stock things as they have undergone lacs of km of testing by people who know their job. But usually those things are done taking multiple driving situations in mind. We are talking about city driving only as I would usually not take it on long highway drives nor am I going on off road trials.

The beauty of this car is that no two Thars will be the same. Each car will be modified by its owner suited for their Individual use.

Ladder on frame , intended off road use , short wheel base and the inherent Jeep DNA make it what it is . It’s not a sedan nor an Innova and we don’t expect it to be one but yes we would want to make it as good as possible for our neck and back as we are not going in Raid de Himalaya or Dune Bashing but driving it just for the sheer beauty of a simple car with timeless design and our childhood love for jeeps .

Dropping pressure by 2 psi is strictly for city driving and for any highway run it will always be standard recommended pressure . Off Roaders play around with tyre pressure according to the situation. I am also driving single most of the time in the city.

@1.2TSI7DSG Thank you for quoting the late BD Sir. He was always right. Those would be his precise words .

I have learnt from my previous hatchbacks, sedans and SUVs that one way to feel less jerks on small speed breakers or some small rough patch is to drive fast over them albeit with a cost to your suspension and rims.

Thank you again for the inputs. I am reading BD Sirs beautiful write ups. Just read one about his buying a Fiat from a Parsi family.

Last edited by Urorobo : 27th February 2023 at 20:23.
Urorobo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 21:41   #4142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Please do not change alloys. One thing Mahindra have done well is the wheels. They are beautiful (maybe I hold the bee?).

Cheers
I agree with you. The stock wheels are good looking. They have copied most things from the wrangler and we are not complaining
Urorobo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 13:03   #4143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Loose ignition coils. They have been switched and installed. I have driven for about 1000kms.
The issue isn't completely gone. The engine check light isn't coming on but the jerks in very light form are felt sometimes only during pedal to the metal acceleration.

The dealer has been informed. I'll be giving them a date when they'll just send the techs over to dehradun to change the ignition coils.
Hi Navpreet, I reached Delhi from doon and the Thar suddenly got the engine check light and is in low power mode not going about 25-26 kmph. Came to Service center now to check but i immediately thought of this post. Has your issue been solved? Was there a specific error message in the obd scan I could look for to guide the guys?

Anyone else faced this? This is a petrol auto

Last edited by sammyboy : 1st March 2023 at 13:14.
Old 1st March 2023, 15:33   #4144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Hi Navpreet, I reached Delhi from doon and the Thar suddenly got the engine check light and is in low power mode not going about 25-26 kmph. Came to Service center now to check but i immediately thought of this post. Has your issue been solved? Was there a specific error message in the obd scan I could look for to guide the guys?

Anyone else faced this? This is a petrol auto

Hi Sammyboy,

Indeed I had posted a resolution of this sometime back. Please go through this post.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5470347 (Mahindra Thar : Official Review)

If there is any further help needed please let me know.
navpreet318 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 22:52   #4145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Hi Sammyboy,

Indeed I had posted a resolution of this sometime back. Please go through this post.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5470347 (Mahindra Thar : Official Review)

If there is any further help needed please let me know.
Thanks much Navpreet, appreciate it. So as it happens there were a lot of 'short circuit to ground's errors, which mostly meant one thing. :( Opening the bonnet revealed the worst , a dead rat
Left the Thar there , they will tell me the extent of the damage tomorrow.
Old 1st March 2023, 22:55   #4146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Thanks much Navpreet, appreciate it. So as it happens there were a lot of 'short circuit to ground's errors, which mostly meant one thing. :( Opening the bonnet revealed the worst , a dead rat
Left the Thar there , they will tell me the extent of the damage tomorrow.
I have dreaded it since the past few years since I first saw rat paw marks on my Storme engine cover. Since then I have used "noratsincar" anti rat spray religiously in all my cars.
I have infact used it even the Ather Electric scooters which are stocked at my dealership.

Nothing has happened yet ever even though a few cars of neighbour's around have had major rat issues.

Hope your Thar gets sorted and I would suggest you to get this spray. Just once a year usage. That's all.
navpreet318 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 08:41   #4147
BHPian

Has anyone tried the pro-man grab handles for the Thar? Any reviews?
Old 3rd March 2023, 09:03   #4148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapany View Post
Has anyone tried the pro-man grab handles for the Thar? Any reviews?
I have installed them just a day back.
Quick n simple installation.
Looks neat and is sturdy.
In my opinion they look better than the other variety which needs drilling into the A pillar.
techfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 12:12   #4149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
I have installed them just a day back.
Quick n simple installation.
Looks neat and is sturdy.
In my opinion they look better than the other variety which needs drilling into the A pillar.
Attaching two pics of the Proman grab handle installed in my Thar.
These are well made and feel premium and sturdy.
Install is straight forward bolt to bolt, so no drilling, no adjusting.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-493a79a93e8745129fbe945d2676d37a.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-4d65a9365f8d47a69fc48f1d28f44c25.jpeg  

techfreak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 00:16   #4150
udy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Has anyone tried getting a second remote key for LX variant. I see the following accessory at m2all, it says it is for AX model and can be coded and doesn't require any hardware changes, wondering if it can be coded as a second remote key for LX variant. Price seems reasonable but my service personnel is clueless on this. Me and my brother use our cars interchangeably, thus having both the keys with remote makes it very convenient.
Attachment 2277937
I have got this done today at my dealer and they use the same spare key and just replace the key fob with the remote options. The key is then used to 'learn' the remote functions and so far everything is working fine for me. I now have 2 fully functional remote keys and the cost was around INR 2300 or so.

While at it, got the head unit software updated too and the reverse camera working on and off is now resolved. Hope it stays that way.
udy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 02:37   #4151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udy View Post
While at it, got the head unit software updated too
Any update on DPF Levels on console? I’m assuming yours is diesel. Any changes in console after the update?

Also, it would be helpful if you could share the invoice here. It’ll help in explaining MASS easily to follow the same.
Old 4th March 2023, 03:46   #4152
BHPian

I got my P MT 4x4 Thar delivered on Sunday 26th. Currently the odo stands at around 350km. One item I want clarification is that steering don't center automatically after a turn. Can other owners confirm how quickly or well does that steering center itself after a turn in Thar? After couple of days of driving I even noticed a slight pull to the left while driving. After checking alignment at Tyre Empire they confirmed alignment was off and rectified it. Now the car seem to hold straight line on smooth roads (on roads with undulation I still feel the car moves to one side after sometime). But still the self centering is not very strong. Is this normal? Should I get it checked at ASC?
Old 4th March 2023, 07:59   #4153
udy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Any update on DPF Levels on console? I’m assuming yours is diesel. Any changes in console after the update?

Also, it would be helpful if you could share the invoice here. It’ll help in explaining MASS easily to follow the same.
It is DEF (Ad Blu) Levels that is displayed and not DPF . Mine is a Diesel and already had DEF Level indicator in the console as it is October 2022 make. Don’t see any changes as such after the software update except for the Reverse Camera activation issue resolve. The camera activation was quite bothersome as it almost never switched on whenever you needed it the most and playing around with the gears to get it activated was quite a pain. Glad that it is now resolved.

As for the Remote Key Fob, it’s the same one that is available on M2All and they add INR 400 odd as labour charges. You have to give them your spare key and they will add the Fob to the existing key, so remember to take your spare key while you take the Thar for the upgrade. It’s a hour or two job as the learning for the new Fob needs to be done. The only flip side is the replacement Key Fob has the old Mahindra Logo on it and my current one I am using has the new Twin Peaks Logo. I now have 2 Remote Keys with different logos. Easier to distinguish which is which I guess.

I have attached part of my invoice for you and you can check the part number and let your MASS know the same. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-ac868d70794e41bb8621d3d906e0e0fd.jpeg  

Last edited by udy : 4th March 2023 at 08:07. Reason: Added information.
udy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 23:01   #4154
BHPian

Hi all, I am seeing a 1800 kms driven Thar Petrol Automatic Convertible top for 16 lac on Spinny. The vehicle is 2022 registered and make is November 2021. Color - Aqua Marine. Is it worth the price?
Thanks.
sahil624 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 09:40   #4155
BHPian

Yesterday when I was at a Mahindra service center for a minor part replacement which was not available during the last service, I happened to see a booklet of Extended warranty(Mahindra Shield) covered parts.

All the while, I was thinking Extended Warranty covers only Engine and Gearbox but it looks like it covers a lot many parts worth more than 5 lacs. I'm a sedate driver and never needed to replace any major parts for Honda City of 10 years relationship. Now, I'm thinking if I should opt for Extended Warranty for my XUV700 or not? I'm attaching the parts list here.

MahindraSheildParts.pdf

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks