Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2023, 18:54   #4126
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
1. First lot 2nd Gen Thar (LX variant) had BLD in front only + MLD in rear axle (no BLD in rear) - FALSE. Thar had BLD in front and rear + MLD once the conditions are met.
2. The current lot has only BLD in front + optional MLD for rear axle (no BLD in rear). Again, BLD in Front and Rear.
3. The current lot has BLD in both front and rear. TRUE
This is absolutely correct.
Earlier Thar models had BLD in all wheels and MLD in rear. MLD takes precedence over BLD for the rear axle and most of the times MLD does the job without invoking the BLD in rear.
The current lot also have BLD enabled in both axles but just that MLD is absent.
Old 23rd February 2023, 19:09   #4127
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Finally after talking to existing users, users in this forum, I have taken the plunge and ordered AVO Suspension setup for my Thar. I took almost 3 months to decide but finally AVO won primarily for the adjustability it offers. Cost wise AVO & IRONMAN are almost same, ARC the cheapest at half the price of former two but certain user review of ARC customer handling steered me away from them.

Primary difference that I could make out between AVO & IRONMAN is adjustability in favour of AVO & 2" ride height increase in case of IRONMAN (Gives a better stance)

AVO has the option of Stiffening up when loaded or terrain changes where as IRONMAN improves upon the existing setup. (Ironman uses the existing coilsprings where as AVO has everything new damper n springs all around)

Having spoken to both the sellers ARKA & 6MILECUSTOMS n few users its AVO I leaned to, now that kiddish wait till 1st March when the package arrives & I get it installed.

Shall do an in depth compare between the two suspension. Having driven about 19k on the stock I should be able to compare them well I suppose.
techfreak is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 20:15   #4128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post

where as AVO has everything new damper n springs all around)

They used to offer just the rear springs when I got them. Are they offering front springs as well?
Please check and confirm. If they are then I'll order a set of front springs for mine.
navpreet318 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 21:41   #4129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
They used to offer just the rear springs when I got them. Are they offering front springs as well?
Please check and confirm. If they are then I'll order a set of front springs for mine.
No it's the same set up.
All four dampers n rear springs.
Personally I feel front set up is fine actually, it's the rear which is show spoiler in Thar.
techfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 22:04   #4130
BHPian

Quote:
No it's the same set up.
All four dampers n rear springs.
Personally I feel front set up is fine actually, it's the rear which is show spoiler in Thar.
The front stock setup is good in Thar. I do not notice that much Pitch and bounce. But the rear does gets bouncy, two reasons I feel are -

1. Short Wheel base.
2. Suspension.
3. High PSI, I always keep is below 31 or 30.
swunkjyn is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 07:32   #4131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
My experience is also exactly the same. When I fixed AVO it came with a set of four adjustable dampers and 2 rear coil springs only. If they do have front coil springs I ll also be happy to buy them.
Old 24th February 2023, 07:50   #4132
Senior - BHPian

tyre pressure at 37psi due to filling 32psi from some truck pitstop near highway. It is now almost 7 months and tyre pressure is still at 35psi. Hasn't needed refilling even once. Yes, ride is a bit bouncy but mileage is more.
Old 24th February 2023, 08:29   #4133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
tyre pressure at 37psi due to filling 32psi from some truck pitstop near highway. It is now almost 7 months and tyre pressure is still at 35psi. Hasn't needed refilling even once. Yes, ride is a bit bouncy but mileage is more.
Also maintaining higher tyre pressure will lead to more n uneven tyre wear. So keep a tag on that so as to ensure adjust pressure for even wear on tyre.
techfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 09:19   #4134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also maintaining higher tyre pressure will lead to more n uneven tyre wear. So keep a tag on that so as to ensure adjust pressure for even wear on tyre.
Yes I'm seeing that also. More wear on front tyres is there.
Old 24th February 2023, 09:46   #4135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Yes I'm seeing that also. More wear on front tyres is there.
I also had the same issue of more wear on front tyre. This may be because more weight on front tyre because of the engine, so it's kind of normal. Older jeepers can comment?

As of now just rotated the tyre front-back n keeping 31psi all around and finding it to be a fair compromise between ride and tyre wear.
Old 26th February 2023, 01:41   #4136
Senior - BHPian

The Thar went for it's 20K service last Tuesday. My HT Petrol AT has clocked about 19300 kms since I got it last year October, don't think I have done so many kms in this much time in any of my vehicles ever.
I also got the cracked windshield replaced and the tak Tak sound coming on whenever I did anything to the AC was also fixed.
Pleasant experience with DDPM dehradun, they kept me in the loop and I really had nothing to complain about
The Thar has been a joy to own, brings a smile to my face everytime I drive it. Its still as stock as it can be, other than rear cam, front sensors, mats and a bug deflector. I have managed to fit in 3 people and about 70 kgs of luggage for a short distance, not fun but managed hehe. My senior citizen parents have done a couple of Doon- Gurgaon (287 kms one way) trips with about 50 kgs of luggage between us and a kids stroller too. No sweat yes the second seat is flat and I use the seat belt to secure the luggage too.
Want to try off-road sometime soon, maybe do one of the off road academy courses or join one of the bhpian groups. If there's any off road excursions happening, please do post it here or have an off road meet thread so people like us can join in.
sammyboy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 16:29   #4137
BHPian

[b]
Quote:
I agree the rear is the problem , front is fine.

I am now thinking of using the standard pressure of 32 on front and 30 for rear.

What would the Behram Sir ( MHSRIP ) say about the suspension upgrade if any Team BHPian can tell us.

I followed his advice as quoted by a member and changed the relay and bulbs and am happy.

Can we just change the rear shock absorbers to a softer setup - may be more roll but a plushier city ride. This isn’t a highway tourer anyway. The old bolero in my village has a better ride than this so certainly Mahindra guys can tell us more.
Urorobo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 15:37   #4138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Many of you have tried left foot braking the Thar while flooring the A pedal, and it lights up the CEL and cuts the engine - that is the active feedback loop working. Try left foot braking a powerful non-ECM-controlled car with A-pedal to the floor, and see what happens. I have.
The Brake and Accelerator inputs are used to implement a safety feature (BOT- Brake Over Throttle) i.e. Braking inputs take priority over Throttle inputs, this is a safety feature and kicks in mostly around 10 mph (Regulation). In Mercedes cars with manual gearbox, there was a feature which made left foot braking possible, without letting the BOT kick in.

Quote:
Thanks for telling me. I believe application with limited / zero knowledge is a dangerous thing. I've understood what I needed to, now it's for all the other folks reading this to figure out. I've left the debate, as I have already stated.
Totally confused after reading the last few pages of this thread, I guess I am too old and my understanding is not up to date on this topic.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 17:30   #4139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urorobo View Post
[b]

What would the Behram Sir ( MHSRIP ) say about the suspension upgrade if any Team BHPian can tell us.
BD sir would say "Chamcha dabao; you are driving too slow... you should not brake for speed-breakers and potholes, thar will fly over them, and dont drive on roads"
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 19:15   #4140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urorobo View Post
[b]

I agree the rear is the problem , front is fine.

I am now thinking of using the standard pressure of 32 on front and 30 for rear.

I followed his advice as quoted by a member and changed the relay and bulbs and am happy.

Can we just change the rear shock absorbers to a softer setup - may be more roll but a plushier city ride. This isn’t a highway tourer anyway. The old bolero in my village has a better ride than this so certainly Mahindra guys can tell us more.
You may want to drive some of the vehicles with BD Sir`s DNA, certainly you will need to drive them fast enough to understand them better.

Especially these ones.

Bolero Storm CRDe.
Thar CRDe.
Scorpio VLX (mhawk) onwards.

Ride quality was not high up in the list of priorities but unlike their brick like outward appearances would suggest, these things were excellent driving machines, they can handle high speeds, tight corners etc with confidence unseen on BOF vehicles. Our archives have documented some of the owners taking it up to the top speeds and validating that very well - another matter altogether that the vehicles have made a name for themselves.

I doubt BD Sir would ever approve of aftermarket mods like that, certainly not one that would soften the rear end and probably land you on the side of the road upside down and definitely wont agree of reducing air pressure.

'Normal' Bolero has a soft comfy ride, it also has power train that can work within that limitation.

Most Viewed