Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2023, 11:09   #3991
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Thank you sir, you missed one tab. Music one.
My November '22 build Thar doesn't have any music display on the MID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
It can be switched off by simply clicking on the HDC button on the right bottom corner if its an old model(2022). For new models, I guess they have moved these controls to central console just near the AC controls.
I tried pressing the button once, and then long-pressing it. Doesn't switch off. The only way I can switch HDC off instantly is by restarting the car.

Quote:
Also do you have screetching noise of brakes when HDC is active?
Will pay more attention the next time it happens and will post if I hear something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasu View Post
In my Mar 2022 Thar, it is a user activated function and does not activate automatically unless HDC (Hill Descent Control) is switched On manually.
Mine activates automatically on the steep descent. Happened thrice already. This is the spot where it activates. It's very steep, the picture conceals the angle:
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-1-2-large.jpg
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 16:35   #3992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, how does one disable the automatic hill descent? There is a certain section of my building that has a steep decline. When I take the Thar out from that area, the hill descent control automatically activates. But even after I bring it out on flat ground and drive to the end of the lane, the hill descent control is still active (I see the icon on the instrument console).

How do I switch it off once I am on flat ground? Thanks.
Its simple physical button in the center console that you click to turn On/Off HDC.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20230120_162028.jpg  

trends2day is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 19:20   #3993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, how does one disable the automatic hill descent?rea, the hill descent control automatically activates. But even after I bring it out on flat ground and drive to the end of the lane, the hill descent control is still active (I see the icon on the instrument console). .
Hill descent control does not activate automatically. Mine is a Feb 2021 Thar and Ive never experienced HDC coming on automatically until date.
I have however activated it myself (more to give it a work out than anything else), on occasion when descending some ramps in some malls.
In my Thar the HDC button is placed on the console fascia to the right side of the steering. It is not the most convenient nor user friendly of positions but one learns to live with it since it isn’t a very regularly used function.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 11:35   #3994
BHPian

In my Oct 2022 Thar, Auto Start Stop function is Turned ON by default and you have to manually turn the feature OFF everytime you start the car.

Does anyone here know how to keep it OFF by default so that i can turn it ON only when i need it? I couldn't find about it in the user manual.
trends2day is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 21:51   #3995
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, how does one disable the automatic hill descent? the hill descent control automatically activates.
Oh No. No. It should not activate automatically.

Quote:
But even after I bring it out on flat ground and drive to the end of the lane, the hill descent control is still active (I see the icon on the instrument console).
You should get it checked, it's not normal. Could it be because of larger tyres?

Quote:
How do I switch it off once I am on flat ground?
By pressing the button once.

Quote:
I tried pressing the button once, and then long-pressing it. Doesn't switch off. The only way I can switch HDC off instantly is by restarting the car.
It is malfunctioning.

Quote:
My November '22 build Thar doesn't have any music display on the MID.
Check post #3892. Right most icon on MID. Looks like Music tab. Could it be possible that this update would be for Diesels only?

Quote:
Do you have screeching noise of brakes when HDC is active? My brakes make lots of noise as if its scratching against some metal whenever HDC is active and working. Even at times during normal braking at slow speeds, my brakes make the same noise and its present from day one of my 1.5 year ownership.
Yes, the noise is very much there. I had asked about the same months back in this thread. It is normal. I guess it has something to do with individual braking. I could be completely wrong here though.
batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 05:51   #3996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi GTO,

Also do you have screetching noise of brakes when HDC is active? My brakes make lots of noise as if its scratching against some metal whenever HDC is active and working.

Highway Petrol
When HDC is active when on a steep incline, it uses the brakes to retard the downward progress of the car.
It sort of ‘clutches at the rotor’ from time to time as per the way it is programmed and based on what the sensor detects.
My old Yeti (2011) had a beautifully working HDC which Ive tried out in Coorg and Ooty for fun and more often on Bangalore Mall ramps just to work it out.
My Thar HDC behaves in very much the same way in the same situations. After seeing and adding to this thread, day before yesterday when my Dad and I were in Ooty we went off road onto some grasslands where we used to go in Dad’s MM540 and all when I was a kid and I took the opportunity to once again try my Thar’s HDC in a real world scenario. It worked just fine. You have to switch it on. It will say HDC Ready. And will keep making that groaning noise and clutching at the brakes intermittently when you’re on the down slope and it will show as HDC Active. Once you’re done you switch it off. It will say HDC Passive.
It Does NOT come on Automatically.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-9cc91a11e63449ddb1ce16b35a16c609.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-c5c2ed51845248338e9e67e8b3040bb7.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-f2f129f4d8a046d9aaf8cca0ecec435d.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-ffc7c8fa539f40649bfaea4487b46f2e.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-0b90da92bc3f43f791ce5280dfe34010.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 23rd January 2023 at 05:54.
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 17:13   #3997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
Ironman 4x4 has announced new suspension kit for Thar 2020. I have messaged them for details. Itl be nice to see how this stacks against ARC and AVO .
Are there any reviews on the Ironman kit or Ironman vs AVO kit for Thar?

I have never dropped 10% value of the cal on an aftermarket kit so I am still on the fence.
Old 25th January 2023, 09:39   #3998
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
.Anshuman also vouches for the AVO suspension, along with (IIRC) Navpreet318. When I spoke to Anshuman for advice on the Thar, his first mod recommendation was this suspension.

Because of these testaments from Senior BHPians, this is the first time I've bought a suspension before:

- Testing it

- Seeing my own car

Just came in yesterday!

Attachment 2380283

Attachment 2380284

Guys, please also share reviews of the Ironman. End of the day, competition makes things better for us customers . Specifically the "ride quality" and "comfort" factors as that is more important to me in a continuously bumpy Jeep than handling.
What has been your experience of the AVO suspension?
Request a comparison review with stock. I am also fence sitting on it.
Old 25th January 2023, 13:38   #3999
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, waiting for a few more Mods on my Thar before I start creating a thread on it. Waiting for the parts to arrive.

With reference to the AVO suspension, just go for it if a compliant ride is high on your priority list. Some people can live with a bumpy ride, I am not one of them. I've set the AVO suspension currently to 13 at the front and 13 at the rear, with tyre pressure dropped to 30 PSI for city only (I increase it before every highway run). The AVO suspension is easily adjustable and I will try out different settings under different conditions (load, 4x4 etc.).

The ride has become more compliant & far more liveable. To the point where no family member has complained about a "bumpy" Thar at all. Yes, it is still a busy ride due to the Thar's inherent characteristics (short wheelbase etc.), but I don't think I could own or enjoy a Thar without the AVO suspension. It's made the ride quality noticeably better. In terms of handling, I cannot comment much yet as my car is still in the running-in period. But based on just one expressway run till now, I was comfortable cruising at 110 - 120 kmph. In the stock Thar, I wasn't comfortable beyond 90 - 100 kmph.

Ironman customers, please share reviews! Competition just makes things better for us customers.

Last edited by GTO : 25th January 2023 at 13:41.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 00:59   #4000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler86 View Post
Attachment 2393176

Has anyone noticed this yet? The new Thars are coming with this software upgrade. The DEF level indicator. I think it was not there with the previous versions. This one is a November 22 manufactured..
Wow… this will surely help all the diesel thar owners to keep DEF level in check. Is there a way we can enable this in 2022 Model ?? I have February 2022 model and would love to have this feature.

Regards,
Vivek-
Old 26th January 2023, 09:54   #4001
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Guys, waiting for a few more Mods on my Thar before I start creating a thread on it. Waiting for the parts to arrive.

With reference to the AVO suspension, just go for it if a compliant ride is high on your priority list. Some people can live with a bumpy ride, I am not one of them. I've set the AVO suspension currently to 13 at the front and 13 at the rear, with tyre pressure dropped to 30 PSI for city only (I increase it before every highway run). The AVO suspension is easily adjustable and I will try out different settings under different conditions (load, 4x4 etc.).

The ride has become more compliant & far more liveable. To the point where no family member has complained about a "bumpy" Thar at all. Yes, it is still a busy ride due to the Thar's inherent characteristics (short wheelbase etc.), but I don't think I could own or enjoy a Thar without the AVO suspension. It's made the ride quality noticeably better. In terms of handling, I cannot comment much yet as my car is still in the running-in period. But based on just one expressway run till now, I was comfortable cruising at 110 - 120 kmph. In the stock Thar, I wasn't comfortable beyond 90 - 100 kmph.

Ironman customers, please share reviews! Competition just makes things better for us customers.
Bolding mine for relevance.

Well, you changed two parameters and are attributing improvement to one of them. To get an objective conclusion maybe you could try the same reduced pressure with the OEM suspension and also the OEM recommended pressure with the Avo and see what the difference is.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 09:58   #4002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've set the AVO suspension currently to 13 at the front and 13 at the rear...
If you happen to seat two adults at the back (or carry equivalent weight as luggage) with anything more compliant than the default recommended 11, the dampers bottom out over speed breakers and the like - unless taken very slowly.

When solo or with my kids at the back, I run with 14 at the front and 12 at the rear. If I expect adults, I switch to 11 at the rear.

In addition to the damper tuning, I'm guessing this is to do with the design of the springs too - the AVO ones have equally spaced loops, while the stock ones are more closely placed at the bottom, which can help load-bearing behaviour (had posted the comparo photos on my review thread when I was having the AVOs installed).
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 16:36   #4003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trends2day View Post
MLD is now available only with top end Diesel LX models by default (both AT & MT). Verified that by checking underbody of all thars available at dealer stockyard personally.

MLD for thar is manufactured by Eaton, if my memory serves me correct, Eaton has also started offering after market MLD upgrade for vehicles in india and costs around Rs. 70,000 - 80,000.

Hope this helps you and everyone else struggling to find the same info.
Hey man thanks for such a detailed response. I was not able to get a booking for a Thar Diesel with the MLD. Eventually we went ahead and retained the Thar Petrol AT. It is good to know there is a possibility to add this in the future and I might just go ahead with it once the other mods I have been planning are done.

Best Wishes !!
Old 27th January 2023, 17:34   #4004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Hey man thanks for such a detailed response. I was not able to get a booking for a Thar Diesel with the MLD. Eventually we went ahead and retained the Thar Petrol AT. It is good to know there is a possibility to add this in the future and I might just go ahead with it once the other mods I have been planning are done.

Best Wishes !!
All Thar Diesel LXs come with MLD by default irrespective of what dealer says. If you call Mahindra Customer care and press them for confirmation they will now give you a confirmation that all Thar Diesel LXs now come with MLD by default from factory.
trends2day is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 19:49   #4005
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Bolding mine for relevance.

Well, you changed two parameters and are attributing improvement to one of them.
I think he is running aftermarket Offroad tyres with much stiffer sidewall, so he will definitely need lower pressure. Yes ideal comparison should have been on same stock tyres.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed