Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2022, 11:04   #3181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
I went ahead and tried it nonetheless on my Thar
Thank you for sharing the details and corroborating the fact that the hard top can be removed and refitted without any major issues

While hard top might be a more practical choice, especially in a country like ours, the charm exuded by an open-top jeep has few parallels. Sharing a few shots of my Thar in its open-top avatar:
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar1.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar2.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar3.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar4.jpg  

cool_dube is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 12:09   #3182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Thank you for sharing the details and corroborating the fact that the hard top can be removed and refitted without any major issues

While hard top might be a more practical choice, especially in a country like ours, the charm exuded by an open-top jeep has few parallels. Sharing a few shots of my Thar in its open-top avatar:
Your car looks great buddy and I am glad if I could be of some help to you.

Cheers!!
VVB
vvb8530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 14:35   #3183
BHPian

I was in Goa recently and happened to see a Goa Police Thar (the new one) patrolling the beach. It was impressive to watch the vehicle move from standstill to motion on that fine loose sand without any wheel spin and at the same time splash through the waves with the same aplomb. I have no clue about 4x4s but I was sure as hell impressed by its capability on the sand which I actually found difficult to walk in as it was super fine with no hint of any hard surface below. It handled the sandy beach as if it were a regular road.

Last edited by SR-71 : 13th May 2022 at 14:37.
SR-71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 15:36   #3184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
I was in Goa recently and happened to see a Goa Police Thar (the new one) patrolling the beach. It was impressive to watch the vehicle move from standstill to motion on that fine loose sand without any wheel spin and at the same time splash through the waves with the same aplomb. I have no clue about 4x4s but I was sure as hell impressed by its capability on the sand which I actually found difficult to walk in as it was super fine with no hint of any hard surface below. It handled the sandy beach as if it were a regular road.
I don't have a video, but this is my Thar in Vagator - a Gurkha too graced the beach earlier that day.

These are all BAU terrains for the 4x4s

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20220513_153344_030.jpgMahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20220513_153347_242.jpg
ph03n!x is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 02:26   #3185

Hi All,

I have owned a swift for the last 6 years and brought a Red Thar Diesel MT HT last month. Planning for a road trip from Kolkata to Puri and this would be my first long drive with Tar. I want to know what challenges i might face coming from a swift. Because swift was like a scooty for me :P where i could just keep zipping through the traffic but in case of Thar it has some heft and i cant be chucking it around like my previous car, but to be quite honest i am very comfortable now with the Thar as it in easy car to drive i feel, first few days after the purchase i was quite paranoid about the sheer size of the vehicle but got used to it within a month. I absolutely love my Thar and it is the best decision ever as every one i knew especially my family was dead against me plonking my hard earned money on a jeep but funny enough the same set of people are absolutely in love with my car now. Coming back to my advice from the gurus would be to please give me some tips to make my highway driving easier on a body on frame vehicle like Thar or any general inputs would be much appreciated.

Oh yes am Ajit btw working in an IT firm based out of Kolkata and have been an avid reader of Team-BHP for over ten years.
AjitSen6333 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 15:23   #3186
BHPian

Hello team, my Thar has finally arrived at the dealership, he has brought the car from another showroom's stockyard (300km from Lucknow, the delivery city). I will be going for PDI. Any particular point to focus in PDI for Thar (apart from the points mentioned in TBHP's PDI list)?

Also, has anyone got the required signatures for FORM 60 BH registration from the IT Service companies? I am a part of one of the IT service companies, but have kind of reached a dead end with the POCs/department for the required signatures. Request guidance and help.
Old 18th May 2022, 16:31   #3187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
Hello team, my Thar has finally arrived at the dealership, he has brought the car from another showroom's stockyard (300km from Lucknow, the delivery city)
Can you share the delivery time quoted, and if there was any concession on actual delivery lead times?

Optional: price quoted, discounts or accessories negotiated by you, and general details about the delivery experience?
Old 18th May 2022, 17:26   #3188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermensch View Post
Can you share the delivery time quoted, and if there was any concession on actual delivery lead times?

Optional: price quoted, discounts or accessories negotiated by you, and general details about the delivery experience?
Got no discounts and no negotiations were done. It's a full seller's market in these times.

Someone known canceled his Thar soft top booking due to loan issues, and I requested his car to be allotted to me, which the showroom did. I had to compromise on fuel type though. I am in urgent need of a vehicle so thought not to wait long for my preferred fuel type.
Old 25th May 2022, 01:12   #3189

The Story of Ronin- My Thar

Friends, It has been 8 months since I have had Ronin- Mahindra Thar ( LX diesel, HT, MT).
For those of you who have a liking for Japanese movies, you may know that a Ronin is a masterless Samurai in feudal Japan, wandering from city to city and mountain to mountain, seeking purpose in life. That is why I have named my Thar as such, as I feel the vehicle is a misfit- not comfortable enough for full families, not a great mileage muncher, while having a distinct character of its own.
This is my only and primary vehicle, and after clocking 17000 kilometres, I feel confident enough to write a brief personal review which may be helpful to those who are still sitting on the fence regarding the Thar . Mine is the LX diesel, HT, MT, with the galaxy grey shade.

Why did I jump on the Thar bandwagon?

• Ever since I was a young boy, the only vehicles that would catch my fancy would be jeeps in their various avatars, modified MM550s and 540s, quirky Willys, and Mahindras. Even before I was mature enough to know the finer details of automobiles, the rugged nature of jeeps and their go anywhere attitude fascinated me.
• Comfortable crossovers like Cretas, Xuvs etc (I refuse to call non-4*4 cars SUVs) are better for families, but I needed a vehicle solely for my own usage, with occasional co-passengers.
• There have been numerous incidents in the past decade of so since I have been driving, that I was sitting in a sedan or crossover, and got stranded due to mud, a berm near an under-construction highway, waterlogging etc, while an old-school Thar or Bolero just cruised ahead. It made me think- one doesn’t need to go to mountains and rural terrains, proper off-road environments exist in our metropolises.
• I wanted a tall vehicle which navigated potholes and undulating roads with equal panache, and was therefore, was willing to forego butter smooth ride quality.

My Driving Experience

1. The Thar is not a normal car by any means, it’s a full-blooded SUV, don’t expect it to be as comfortable as your Honda City, and driving the Thar gives a great commanding view of the road which I think makes me a better driver.
2. As soon as the roads go bad, you will thank yourself for investing in the Thar, as it can take immense punishment, and its height helps wade through urban water logging on roads, and muddy or dusty trails that dot the side roads in our cities and towns.

3. The air conditioning works fine in the North Indian heat, although I can’t say it is the best.
4. Brakes are not as bad as the reviews make them out to be, I feel they are more gradual as the Thar is a heavy vehicle. In fact last month, I narrowly missed a major collision when two ubers crashed into each other just 100 metres ahead of me , I applied the brakes hard and the car stopped in time to save my life.
5. You will immediately get used to the body roll, and I do not feel I notice it anymore.
6. Fuel efficiency of the diesel mill hovers around 12-14, although I admit I have never tried the tank-to-tank method.
7. I love the placement of the speakers on the roof.

Conclusion

I feel a lot of folks are buying the Thar solely for its looks, and some will get bored of its brutish nature and lack of creature comforts, especially now that the novelty factor is gone. I had the opposite goal- getting a tough and go-anywhere real 4*4 SUV within my budget ( 16 large Gandhis ) and the Thar beautifully fulfills this niche. Every single day when I see my Ronin standing in the basement parking , I chuckle to myself, and wish for rains so I can take it out for a spin, or some random errand where I need to cross potholes.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-1c41f00de21742aea2c8334613f11881.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-18e443aa63814d2d9fa797ccb239180c.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-517f75ae2fbb4ec899a0de4370075f87.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-977e0e7c81384ea586c978eac454ff30.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-856786a3a90e427e8b99b07a2f503abb.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-a6434658072c42269f45eee742c46da2.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-b596499dc636466b95487e67bba33a7f.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-d89b6e91fd4f43eb997c25d1ee38ba5d.jpg  

WemaKadphises is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 13:42   #3190

I also wanted to add a few more points for friends who are considering purchasing this car.

It won't please everyone around you- be ready for snarky remarks by friends who will admonish you for buying a 2 door monstrosity for such a steep price. Sometimes this gets annoying and unnerving. The rear seats are not that bad for fit folks, but won't be as comfortable as a sedan. I simply don't listen to naysayers.

If you redefine comfort- as I did, as the Thar can take you places where only other 4*4s can go, you will feel vindicated about your decision and enjoy every moment of your ownership. Maybe the Gurkha is the only competitor at this price point, but somehow I personally don't like the aesthetics of it.

Im attaching a few clicks from a forest trail in Northern India, where I truly felt the Thar was in its natural habitat, there was slight rain, and the forest tracks were riddled with occasional muddy and slippery patches- and the jeep didn't break a sweat !

I engaged the 4 wheel drive only twice here, just to see how it works, as I was climbing over a muddy road with a steep incline and another time to cross a flooded trail. Both the times the 4H worked like a charm .

So far I haven't had the opportunity to do any serious off-road expeditions on it, but im confident that will happen this year. The compact length of the vehicle is a boon in cities, as it is super easy to park, sometimes at angles where normal cars will get struck .

Whenever I visit my native in rural U.P, I encounter the very roads for which the Thar is designed for- kaccha (brick) tracks, which sometimes look like martian craters, and here you need to reduce speed and drive with confidence. The way the large wheels articulate over potholes is impressive, if you keep your speeds low.

The manual diesel is fun to drive, and the gears are a bit long but smooth, and clutch is super light for such a big vehicle. I did not opt for the automatic as it was a bit expensive, and honestly I felt the manual was more fun for my driving style.

I have driven it multiple times for 700 km runs between Delhi and Lucknow, and honestly I never feel tired, as driving it it sheer pleasure, granted that you know the limitations of the vehicle, drive it upto 100 kmph as it is not a speed machine.

The android auto works well, but has the odd disconnecting error. The trick is to ensure that your phone is connected to android auto before beginning any trip, and that may take a few restarts of the engine. Once detected, the android auto works fine for hours. I have adjusted to its quirky nature though.

I am a very sedate and relaxed driver, but I feel with the Thar very few people will try to bully you on the roads with excessive honking and intimidation tactics to cut in line at toll plazas (trucks, buses, police and career criminals are of course an exception!).
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-6cd5ccc2d14e4fcf9749af419ccd308c.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-32e09ae6b2494af1880bc38938607478.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-ee3b704ccf5742c58208beabedf2df61.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-f1706c8629aa45af825f10136d3d8f86.jpg  

WemaKadphises is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 17:49   #3191
Senior - BHPian

Picked up the Thar - diesel AT Convertible variant last Friday. Primarily will be my dad's ride- main requirement was AT and small footprint.

Currently the car is with me to get basic things done post delivery - detailing and PPF. Planning to get Galio floormats and add Aux lights in the form of an LED light bar (Hella) at a later stage.

On Monday drove the car from Pune to Mumbai with the top lowered and there was a huge grin plastered on my face. Yes, it did get little hot once I exited the Expressway, but turned on the AC and it kept blowing cool air till I reached home. Taking off the top took about 5 mins, but putting it back on took about 15 mins of wresting the zippers.

I will share my initial impressions after driving some more and doing a bit of off-roading. Current odo stands at 650 km.

At delivery day:
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-8d284635744948039683ab0ef32cb1fc.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-6b75fcb022e4475d91583c300052f4ea.jpg

Top lowered:
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_6478.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_6477.jpg

A video of me driving with the wind in my hair:

Prepping for paint correction:
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_6510.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_6509.jpg

PPF application in progress:
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_6546.jpg

A pic after the installers left. Have to fit back the removed bits and pieces which I will do tomorrow:
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_6557.jpg

Last edited by blackwasp : 26th May 2022 at 18:00.
blackwasp is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 23:41   #3192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WemaKadphises View Post
The Story of Ronin- My Thar

Friends, It has been 8 months since I have had Ronin- Mahindra Thar ( LX diesel, HT, MT).
Nice Review.

Please clear my doubt - Do sidewalls create problems while using Clutch on MT?
When I tried MT, I felt sidewalls constantly rubbing on the side of my left leg.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th May 2022 at 00:26. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Please quote only the relevant bits from a large post as it inconveniences small screen users. Thanks!
Old 29th May 2022, 03:40   #3193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkerThanBlack View Post
Nice Review.

Please clear my doubt - Do sidewalls create problems while using Clutch on MT?
When I tried MT, I felt sidewalls constantly rubbing on the side of my left leg.
This will depend on how you sit, I have a Manual Thar and my height is 6 feet 3 inch with 90 kgs of weight. Now I sit almost all the way back and a bit relaxed by reclining the seat too towards back so I have never felt the constraints or discomfort especially towards the left side. I would say that for me it is a resting position rather.

I bought it on 3rd Feb 2022 and have driven it 8600 kms across India like Himachal/Chandigarh/Karnataka/MP/AP/MH etc. Even done long distances like Manali to Chandigarh (Non-Stop) and Chandigarh to Bangalore ( with few stops). I will post the pictures too as soon as I get the opportunity.
swunkjyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 06:51   #3194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan_Kmu View Post
I'm surprised to see 2.0 turbo petrol producing more torque than 2.2 turbo diesel. Any thoughts on this ?
The drawback of NA petrol engines was their low speed torque - a consequence of their fuel characteristics (flame propagation speed etc) which did not allow full extraction of the calorific value. With t/charging (or other types of pr. charging) the amount of air available for combustion is well beyond the theoretical amount (stoichiometric value) for perfect combustion. This allows for good fuel efficiency and max. extraction of thermal energy ( ~ torque!). Some amount of this excess air is discharged in the exhaust, but this sacrifice is worth the gobs of torque available low down - the Achilles' heel of NA petrol engines!
shashanka is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 08:22   #3195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
I did it..I did it.. what? Managed to get into the 2020 Thar.
My vital stats:
Height : 5' 9/10" (whatever)
Weight : 90 (liar)

Thar is intimidating, like climbing a horse, nothing to hold on to excepting prayers, (the sales girl kept encouraging me).

I did enter the backseat, but it was a task, side facing seats will be better, I presume.

Not much backward movement of the seat, I needed 1 or 2 more notch to be absolutely comfortable, (not a deal breaker, but cramped situation, what will happen in 5/7 years is another story) I'm coming from a Wagon R, Nano and Nexon......

Hello Vinodji, I was just going through @Aditya's BS6 Thar review and came across your post, so please forgive the long delay!
OK so tell me, have you gone in for the new Thar? If you have, what is your experience/feedback so far? Have you made any long trips in the car?
I have mentioned elsewhere on the forum that we got the new Thar (LX, hardtop, petrol, manual) last year. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to make any long, out-of-town trips yet, due to various pressures. Hoping to do so once these matters are sorted out. But about the vehicle itself, we have no complaints. Ruma occasionally does grumble a bit about the lack of luggage space (yes, she finally decided to take the wheel), but otherwise driving it is a breeze after the Scorpio.
Regards,
Shashanka
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks