Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2022, 13:37   #2926
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchit_bhp View Post
I am facing an issue with the brakes. I have observed this only when I cold start my Thar (Diesel AT) clocked 1800 kms.
Seems more like a pad and disk issue, maybe the materials need lil heat to get it working at optimum. Not really an issue and you won't find an easy solution, but to experiment with various brands of pads. As long as the braking is fine, not really worth the bother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
I had a detailed discussion with M&M technical team and all are of the opinion that this is how the ABS motors installed on all Thars behave.
At what speeds? ABS should not kick in till it detects a wheel lock, ie high speed deceleration or very abrupt braking. At normal speed and braking isn't the servo assist (vacuum circuit) that should control the pressure?
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 14:42   #2927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Upgraded audio system in my Thar Hard Top AT
Taking the Audio upgrade in Thar to next level I recently removed the stock head unit of my car to a better top of the line AV unit from Pioneer DMH-ZS9350BT. The difference in music is tremendous I didn't expected it to perform that better. For serious Audiophiles if you want to play High resolution music in Thar this head unit from Pioneer is highly recommended.

Before jumping to this unit I tried several combinations like Bluetooth DAC and wired DAC with which I was able to play music via bluetooth(LDAC) or optical channel in my amplifier but none of them provided the seamless integration which I was expecting.

The very first issue I have to manage the volume via phone as the above devices will bypass all the circuitry and the phone will be directly communicating with amplifier.

Second comes the use of maps and other android auto features so in case I have to check maps I have to again go back to the poor audio quality from stock head unit.

Third and the most irritating one was the frequent disconnect of the AA while driving. Sometime I even have to switch off and switch on the car again to resume the Android Auto back on stock head unit. This was one of the major problem I am facing from day one.

Fourth was bigger and better looking 9 inches capacitive HD touch screen which is smooth and easy to operate with wireless Andorid Auto which is nice to have feature not available in many cars.

This unit also support internet browsing and apps like youtube although not recommended while driving but can be a party trick some times.

Apart from the above there are numerous features like Master sound reviver, wireless Carplay, full HD video playback, Alexa Inbuilt, dual camera inputs etc. which anyways doesn't excite me much as my focus was purely on clean and crisp High Res input signal from source to feed the rest of the audio chain in Thar.

Final Audio Setup:
1. Pioneer DMH-ZS9350BT AV unit (replaced stock head unit)
1. Front 3-way components (Gladen Germany Pro Series)
2. Rear 2-way components (Gladen Germany Zero Series)
3. Mosconi Gladen Pico 8|10 channel amplifier with in-built DSP
4. Sundown Audio 1000W Mono amplifier for Subwoofer
5. Dual Gladen RS-X 8" Subwoofer (upgraded to dual sub in sealed box for SQ)
6. CTK Premium series damping for full car

Links to the audio components:-

Head Unit: https://pioneer-india.in/buy/car-ent.../dmh-zs9350bt/

Amplifier for Speakers: https://mosconi-system.it/product/gladen-pico-810-dsp/

Amplifier for Subwoofer: https://sundownaudio.com/lv/sa/ampli...ies/sfb-1000d/

Speakers: https://www.gladen.com/compo_coax.html
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20220215wa0041.jpg  

roby_dk is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 22:03   #2928
BHPian

How much is the pioneer android screen?
Old 17th February 2022, 23:16   #2929
BHPian

Quote:

Final Audio Setup:
HU fits so flush with the dashboard. This really looks OEM.

All in all, how much did you spend, Sir?

Last edited by batish : 17th February 2022 at 23:18.
batish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 23:34   #2930
BHPian

Quote:
Taking the Audio upgrade in Thar to next level I recently removed the stock head unit of my car to a better top of the line AV unit from Pioneer DMH-ZS9350BT...
Please share price break-up and dealer at which you got it installed. Also, how are you managing the car info & other features of the stock HU on the replaced HU?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th February 2022 at 15:07. Reason: trimmed quote
Old 18th February 2022, 11:24   #2931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavityavenger View Post
How much is the pioneer android screen?
Pioneer DMH-ZS9350BT mrp is around 87.5k you can check the same on the link provided in my last post. I got approx 20-25% discount on that price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
All in all, how much did you spend, Sir?
Thanks, total expenditure including complete installation was over 4L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
Please share price break-up and dealer at which you got it installed. Also, how are you managing the car info & other features of the stock HU on the replaced HU?
1. Pioneer DMH-ZS9350BT AV unit (replaced stock head unit) - 70k + some installation charges
2. Front 3-way components (Gladen Germany Pro Series) - 105k active set without crossovers
3. Rear 2-way components (Gladen Germany Zero Series) - 45k with crossovers
4. Mosconi Gladen Pico 8|10 channel amplifier with in-built DSP - 85k
5. Sundown Audio 1000W Mono amplifier for Subwoofer
6. Dual Gladen RS-X 8" Subwoofer (upgraded to dual sub in sealed box for SQ) - 20k + 20k + sub box
7. CTK Premium series damping for full car - 20k

Apart from this paid for wiring + installation + other charges(couplers, vibrofoam etc.) don't remeber exactly but will be 20-25k approx

Complete work was done at Motor Concept, Delhi. He is a good friend and best in audio business. We have installed similar setups in multiple cars like Endeavour, Rubicon, Fortuner & Thar in my close group. You can watch several videos capturing us at Motor Concept .

Coming back to the the features which were present in the stock HU I was not using them much, I know I am loosing few things but at the same time I am gaining a lot. The infotainment system of Thar is very poor especially if I compare it with my other car Endeavour. The same set of components sound much better in Endy hence I was contemplating to change the HU from the day I upgraded the audio in Thar. The connectivity issues with the stock HU fueled it further.
roby_dk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 16:35   #2932
BHPian

Quote:
Final Audio Setup:
on this high end set up.
Wireless Android Auto is one of the best feature.
I believe new head unit no more displays the 'Adventure Statistics'. Please correct me if I am wrong.
MithunSathianat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 17:30   #2933
Senior - BHPian

Hi Folks,

Amigo went for a spin for 400 kms today, returned a 15.8kmpl mileage for diesel AT. Cruise control was flawless in its execution and was a breeze to operate. Totally enjoyable drive, thank you M&M!!

Some random pictures for your viewing pleasure!!

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20220218_121953.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20220218_122017.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20220218_122130.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 19th February 2022 at 07:18. Reason: Images reattached
getsurya is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 17:56   #2934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
on this high end set up.
I believe new head unit no more displays the 'Adventure Statistics'. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks, yes the adventure statistics are gone but I hardly use them in offroading they are present in my Endeavour instrument cluster too but we rarely use them. As I said loosing few things but getting a lot more. The seamless integration and impeccable sound I am getting from the new setup is actually worth. It connects automatically as I step inside the car no more irritating disconnects. Yet to explore all the features of the system.

Infact after listening to my Thar system my group people are planning to replace our Endeavour in future with some car where we have minimal features in the head unit. In Ford Sync3 there are lot of things like touch AC controls, ambient lighting etc. and the audio quality is also good with no frequent disconnections like Thar.
roby_dk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 20:42   #2935
BHPian

Hello guys,

A quick question - Can I use H8 Philips cystal vision in my stock fog lamps without adding any relays? I think H8 and H16 sockets are all same. Its just the wattage difference, stock is 19W H16 and the one I want to use is H8 35W. Hope the stock relays on the fog lamp takes the load of 35W Philips crystal vision.
Old 18th February 2022, 22:50   #2936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello guys,

A quick question - Can I use H8 Philips cystal vision in my stock fog lamps without adding any relays? I think H8 and H16 sockets are all same. Its just the wattage difference, stock is 19W H16 and the one I want to use is H8 35W. Hope the stock relays on the fog lamp takes the load of 35W Philips crystal vision.
Considering that wiring hasn't been the strength of at least the initial batches of the Thar, I'd suggest not to do a H8 without relay - it's twice the stock wattage!
ph03n!x is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 08:02   #2937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Friend,

I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone here with this issue / niggle. The grrr sound and the subsequent vibration at times which you mentioned is the ABS motors doing its job and there is nothing to be worried about. I had a detailed discussion with M&M technical team and all are of the opinion that this is how the ABS motors installed on all Thars behave. Iam facing this irritant from day one onwards on my Thar AT D.

Any technical guys here can correct me if Iam wrong.

Thanks
I have the petrol Thar and have not faced this issue (noise & vibration). If its the ABS, shouldn't all Thars show this symptom, and not just a few owners? ABS is activated under hard braking (or panic braking) with the risk of an imminent lock-up. Under normal braking if the noise & vibration still persist, then perhaps the matter should be investigated further.
Old 20th February 2022, 08:22   #2938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
I will not disagree a bit. It is not an easy decision for fence sitter any day and unless the moollah is in abundance, it's an impossible decision.

For me too, it's a leap of faith and honestly a risk I can afford to take now or never. Only thing I have done to help is to keep all near dear ones who matter, know the realities of owning a Jeep and be honest. While I might be overlooking the dislikes, I have tried to be honest about the same with them.

So let's see, if all falls apart or turns into happy memories. My only grudge is the ingress to back seats that I can't do anything about. Rest can be managed.
Best of luck to you too.
It was a big decision for us too (we took the bait with the LX, petrol. manual, hardtop!) and our decision was made for us by circumstances -
a) we no longer have our pets (a pair of boxers) who occupied the rear seats of the earlier Scorpio & had accompanied us on many of our trips.
b) We are just the two of us now, since our daughter has settled abroad and both our parents have passed away.

The issue of access to the rear seats remains, but on the whole we felt it was a worthwhile bargain - we keep telling ourselves that we are both fit and fine!

Last edited by shashanka : 20th February 2022 at 08:25.
shashanka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 09:24   #2939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Don't expect much of a change. Even after 20 years and many changes (including a new chassis), the Scorpio still rides all bumpy & jiggly. Strange how Mahindra tunes one body-on-frame so well (Marazzo), and then others not so well.
Does the Marazzo have full body-on-frame architecture? I asked because I remember reading - "Marazzo’s ladder frame and monocoque hybrid chassis with the unique element being the transverse positioning of the engine" and that it was a modular platform. I wondered at the time what a hybrid chassis was, since Mahindra had apparently filed several patents on the vehicle.
Old 20th February 2022, 16:17   #2940
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
on this high end set up.
My Thar was bought in december 2021 (made in Octover) and mine shows the adventure statistics.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed