Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2022, 10:25   #2896
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
"We're still deeply evaluating and studying the market". Or MSIL would be busy exploring on where can they plonk a LPG or CNG tank in the Jimny

For records, our thread "Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?" was created in Aug 2019.
All I can say to this is - Hahaha. Mahindra is cashing in on the Thar craze that our Nation has. Maruti will always be evaluating.
swunkjyn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 12:03   #2897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
Can you please share some pictures of the Arka rock sliders and its mounting to the chassis
Will take some pics and share. Mounting is exactly as the stock side steps. Exactly the same points.
navpreet318 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 18:29   #2898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Will take some pics and share. Mounting is exactly as the stock side steps. Exactly the same points.
Have to catch up with you sometime soon and look at the host of changes you have done on the Thar , everything I read about your mods seems so thoughtfully done.

I am thinking of getting a roof rack done, luggage carrying capacity of the Thar is well known as it is.

I also keep seeing the bimbra grips (is that what it's called?) to help climb in. Just not sure about the drilling part.

Any feedback?

Last edited by sammyboy : 6th February 2022 at 18:36.
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 19:01   #2899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
I am thinking of getting a roof rack done, luggage carrying capacity of the Thar is well known as it is.

I also keep seeing the bimbra grips (is that what it's called?) to help climb in. Just not sure about the drilling part.

Any feedback?
Classic Service Point, Noida's roof rack looks better to me because it is not just mounted on the Hard top like the Bimbra4x4 rack. Instead it has several points bolted onto the body of the Thar. Will surely be more sturdy.

Unfortunately, I stay in the eastern part of Assam, no good known FNG to help me mod my Thar like I want. Workmenship is not to my liking here. So, all my mods are DIY so far.

As for the grab handles on the interior of the A pillars, They are known as Wild boar handles, Jeep Wrangler gets those type of grips.

Although, I don't find the requirement of a Grab handle for ingress but many find it very useful.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 6th February 2022 at 19:03.
dr_TJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 19:21   #2900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have to catch up with you sometime soon and look at the host of changes you have done on the Thar , everything I read about your mods seems so thoughtfully done.

Any feedback?
Definitely we'll catch up sometime soon. Ping me whenever you're in dehradun.

Even I thought about the grips. The original wild boar ones are available with Pawan Anand of Jeep Tires India. But the only thing I feel is drilling on that A pillar. It is a structural component. 2 holes on a structural member sends shivers down the deep hidden mechanical engineer in me.

There was another design which someone had modeled. It used the stock mounting holes of the grab handles which are installed above the head. It had a long member running down towards the windshield. Don't know how successful that was but I was waiting for some reviews on that design.

Luggage capacity is definitely on the lower side but then again since the factory doesn't provide any mounting points on the Thar for mounting a luggage rack, anything from the aftermarket is a compromise and not an engineered solution. Evaluate firstly how many times a year you need to travel with 4 people on board and luggage in tow.
If you then definitely need luggage space then do personally check out everything once. Bimbra, Classic Noida, Prad Bangalore, VIN4x4 etc. Check how they have mounted and how comfortable you are with all those changes on the Thar. And then go for it.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 6th February 2022 at 19:25.
navpreet318 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 23:53   #2901
BHPian

A question for anyone and everyone - People who have installed the Prad4x4 under body protection kit, is the kit designed keeping in mind the regular service requirements? Like unrestricted access to the oil filters, drain plugs etc?

As far as I know the Arka underbody kit has these provisions. Is any other customisation house offering similar products that anyone know off?

Also has anyone installed the OEM protection kit? If yes then what are your opinions on it?
Old 7th February 2022, 00:47   #2902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Anyone here using 70mai Pro plus+ A500S Dual channel Dashcam on their Thar?

Since Thar has straight windscreen hence mounting a dashcam might be an issue.
I am and it works brilliantly.
PM me for pics of install if you'd like. This is my 3rd 70 mai set.

Quote:
Finally the "4*4 last used in xxxx" kms can stop taunting me now
Had a brilliant drive towards Dhanaulti in the snow. The Thar performed like a rockstar, starting to have fun where most other cars stopped, once you moved the small little lever next to the gear shifter
Did you now! I was in Landor just 3 days back!
My granny can't stop raving about how we were the only people who went up the road! 8 inches of fresh snow
The cops had blocked the road the dhanaulti though I took the road via the clock tower back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_god9 View Post
Yes, I have also experienced it. I have been fined for driving my 12 year old Dehradun registered swift in Delhi Embassy area few year back.
Please tell me about the fine! I have a 2010 Swift,. Same predicament!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20220203_151158.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20220203_162631.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20220203_170352.jpg  

Last edited by Eddy : 7th February 2022 at 01:37. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
wooka is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 08:33   #2903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask99 View Post
TEST DRIVE on your regular routes!

That's my one advice to any potential Thar buyers, after finally getting around to driving the Thar Petrol AT HT recently.
I and dad both are jeep lovers, so when we saw the Thar pictures we got excited.
We went to the showroom and looked at the vehicle. Though he lost interest in driving these days, he still loves the jeep. Him being in his 70's and his love for Jeep, I wanted to gift him a jeep!

So we looked at the vehicle and I could see how excited he was, he loved the commanding seating position of the driver seat and also was happy with the passenger seat.
But the moment he tried to get to the back seat, the reality struck him and he said, "Kanna this is difficult. Forget about me, for your mom this would be impossible.".
Then I tried to get to the back seat, I was able to get inside, but boy I was struggling to get out which ended up in an hour-long ride back home getting an earful of how badly I'm not in shape!

Finally, we both agreed to wait for 5 door version, but now we are contemplating switching to EV.
Kannan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 21:11   #2904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touringlawyer View Post
Hello Friends,

Finally brought home the Convertible Top Petrol Thar LX AT on 9th January 2022.

On the 8th January, I had just gone to take a test drive of the AT Thar (both diesel and petrol) and inquire about the Thar availability (given the legendary one year plus waiting periods), and surprise surprise, they had about 4 colour options readily available in stock for Petrol CT AT, including the colour of my choice 'Rocky Beige'.

I took the test drive of the Petrol AT, and as someone who has only owned and driven Diesel Cars (Diesel Fiat Punto and Diesel AWD Renault Duster), I was totally blown away by its pickup and how quiet the engine was. Like something, I had never ever imagined. I mean that good. Booked it right away, and took delivery of the car the very next day, 9th January. Only if there was a way to make the entire payment online to them the same day, I might have taken the delivery the very same day.

Having driven it for about 200 odd kms (got tested positive for Covid in between so couldn't drive around a lot), I have realised the one and only 'fly in the ointment' - the flip-flap noise of the convertible top above speeds of 70 Kms per hour. Is it the same for all?

Thanks in advance

Touringlawyer

Straight from the heart ,Touringlawyer! And I understand your sentiments completely. I have been a diesel addict too ('96 Tata Sierra and '04 Scorpio GLX) with the occasional aberration of a Getz and an Eeco. I had been looking for a worthy replacement for the Scorpio and the earlier Thar did not tug at the heartstrings to the same extent. And then the BS6 Thar came along and I - like so many others - fell under its spell too. This time we decided to opt for the LX manual, petrol, hardtop and as with you, the test drive was a revelation. Gone was the sluggish bottom end of earlier petrols - the Thar proved to be a decent pocket rocket, with barely any turbo lag.

I haven't been able to put my finger on a real niggle so far, apart from the horn button which needs to be pressed harder than my earlier experience. Also, after driving the Eeco in the interim, I am getting used to the girth of the Thar in Kolkata traffic. The restricted luggage space is not an issue, since we no longer have our extended family of boxers. May their souls rest in peace.

Last edited by shashanka : 7th February 2022 at 21:15.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 00:22   #2905
BHPian

Team, any leads on the GFX foot mats for the Thar?
Galio's website has them out of stock OOO!

https://galioindia.com/car-floor-mat...ar-accessories

Meanwhile, ordered one of these cup holders for the co-driver's side.
Should hold a drink and a phone on the dash without interfering with the airbag with a little quality filling, felt and taping work.

https://galioindia.com/snack-bar-tra...holder-for-car
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-41szojrwwrl._sl1000_.jpg  

wooka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 11:18   #2906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
Team, any leads on the GFX foot mats for the Thar?
Galio's website has them out of stock OOO!

[
https://www.motorbhp.com/mahindra-thar-life-long-mats

Try this, a little more expensive but I had ordered from here a while ago and got them, so it's reliable.
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 15:38   #2907
BHPian

I have upgraded my head light with Philips 100/90W rally bulbs along with Uno Minda relay wiring kit with ceramic holders. I can confirm that the throw of light is absolutely good with great night driving visibility. I highly recommend this to those who are looking to upgrade their headlights especially for long night time highway drives.

Meanwhile, any recommendations for a better 90/100W bulb, say Osram H4 100/90w all seasons?

Thanks
highwaypatrol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 15:54   #2908
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
I have upgraded my head light with Philips 100/90W rally bulbs along with Uno Minda relay wiring kit with ceramic holders. I can confirm that the throw of light is absolutely good with great night driving visibility. I highly recommend this to those who are looking to upgrade their headlights especially for long night time highway drives.

Meanwhile, any recommendations for a better 90/100W bulb, say Osram H4 100/90w all seasons?

Thanks
If you are onto it, see if the headlamp assembly can be swapped with Hella \ Lucas - they are metal and glass. The same bulbs would fit, I recommend using original Philips rally 100/90W bulbs if you have relay & ceramic holders installed.

There was a made in germany Philips 80/110W available sometime ago, if you happen to get it , go for it.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 16:08   #2909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
If you are onto it, see if the headlamp assembly can be swapped with Hella \ Lucas - they are metal and glass. The same bulbs would fit, I recommend using original Philips rally 100/90W bulbs if you have relay & ceramic holders installed.

There was a made in germany Philips 80/110W available sometime ago, if you happen to get it , go for it.
Stock headlight assembly itself is made of glass (diffuser). I think no need to change the assembly, its far more sturdy enough to withstand the extra heat generated by 90/100W bulbs. Make sure to use the ceramic holder instead of plastic ones.

Bulbs I used are Philips Rally, however Philips no more makes relay kits. Hence went ahead with Uno Minda relay wiring kit and it seems to be of great quality. I may get to know the quality more using it in the long run.

Last edited by highwaypatrol : 8th February 2022 at 16:15.
highwaypatrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 21:29   #2910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_god9 View Post
Hello Friends,

So, I am planning to Buy Thar and a little confused in what engine I should invest in ? My running is around 1000KM - 1500 KM a month but not sure whether I should go for Petrol or Diesel. My initial choice is Petrol Automatic but a little concerned about the reliability and fuel efficiency. So, looking for some guidance from bhpians who owns a Thar Petrol automatic.

Thank you
Vivek-
I had originally booked a diesel but ended up with P AT. It has been running really well so far and I must agree with others that it drives super smooth. Did a bit of off reading as well and it was really impressive how it tackled it. The fuel economy is the only negative but as long as you know you will be getting about 6-8 in city and 8-10 on motorways you are fine.
bhargav_dave is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks