Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2021, 21:57   #2596
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinjoseph View Post
Hey I wanted to check if any of the Thar users have used it as a regular car with a newborn? I have a 2 month old baby and want to buy this car for my wife. But wanted to check if it really is practical with a baby, including using a car seat in the Thar.

Any advice/suggestions would be great.
Thanks guys
Interesting question!

I have a Thar though don't have new born but I think it will be an issue. Since it is a 2 door, ingress is through co-passenger seat. Getting car seat and baby in the back seat will be certainly an issue. I will not recommend Thar for a new born.
alokk0912 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 00:28   #2597
BHPian

Quote:
Hey I wanted to check if any of the Thar users have used it as a regular car with a newborn? I have a 2 month old baby and want to buy this car for my wife. But wanted to check if it really is practical with a baby, including using a car seat in the Thar.

Thanks guys
Hi Sachin Joseph,

We bought our Thar CRDe 700 when my wife was 7 months into her pregnancy, my daughter is now 2 years old and so is the Thar, both have traveled extensively in these couple of years. Coming back to your question, new Thar is league ahead of the older ones plus gets a company fitted child ISOfix so putting up a child seat isn’t an issue. Regarding practicality it’s all in the mind of the individual, if you can find ways to adjust and work out suitable options it shouldn’t be an issue. Trust me kids love Thar, my daughter is more excited to drive in the Thar than the other two Japanese and European machines that I own. She calls the Thar as Baba’s Heep (Jeep).

So if you like the Thar go for it, with 2 people and a baby you can pack a house of stuff while traveling. For more details I have put up a few Tlogs here on form with regard to Thar and the Kiddo, check it once.

A parting shot to pour in some motivation
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-e3eaddd25bd249039c5b21f228830992.jpeg  

abhikb is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 02:57   #2598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks guys
You can tesr the practicality of getting the baby in the rear seat with a test drive - but IIRC the Thar still has the highest child safety rating among GNCAP tested vehicles - the child has to be seated with an ISOFIX seat, of course!
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 07:15   #2599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
Hi Sachin Joseph,

We bought our Thar CRDe 700 when my wife was 7 months into her pregnancy, my daughter is now 2 years old and so is the Thar, both have traveled extensively in these couple of years. Coming back to your question, new Thar is league ahead of the older ones plus gets a company fitted child ISOfix so putting up a child seat isn’t an issue. Regarding practicality it’s all in the mind of the individual, if you can find ways to adjust and work out suitable options it shouldn’t be an issue. Trust me kids love Thar, my daughter is more excited to drive in the Thar than the other two Japanese and European machines that I own. She calls the Thar as Baba’s Heep (Jeep).

So if you like the Thar go for it, with 2 people and a baby you can pack a house of stuff while traveling. For more details I have put up a few Tlogs here on form with regard to Thar and the Kiddo, check it once.

A parting shot to pour in some motivation

Hey thanks a ton for the confidence. I think I’ve read your review here of a trip to a temple when you’re daughter was 2 months old. I think that was you. That is what gave me a little confidence but I just wanted to check again before making up my mind. Cheers buddy.
Old 25th November 2021, 07:17   #2600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
You can tesr the practicality of getting the baby in the rear seat with a test drive - but IIRC the Thar still has the highest child safety rating among GNCAP tested vehicles - the child has to be seated with an ISOFIX seat, of course!
I was thinking of hiring a self drive Thar for a few days and to really test it out but just not able to find one here in Bangalore.

Anyone here knows a company that’s giving the new Thar on rent in Bangalore, plz do let me know.
Old 25th November 2021, 11:15   #2601
BHPian

Quote:
Hey thanks a ton for the confidence. I think I’ve read your review here of a trip to a temple when you’re daughter was 2 months old. I think that was you. That is what gave me a little confidence but I just wanted to check again before making up my mind. Cheers buddy.
Yes that Tlog was put by me, my daughter is now 2 years old and has done 16 hours drive in a single day in the Thar. CRDe was a disaster in safety apart from ABS, Seatbelts, a tank like body shell there’s nothing safe in it. This means traveling long distance with the kid requires much more carefulness and we have to be cautious at all times.

With the new Thar things have changed, as bhpian Phoenix pointed out Thar has scored maximum points when it comes to child safety. So safety concern is addressed here, with regard to practicality as I said earlier it depends on user to user, a Thar is not practical as a regular 5 door car but it sure offers much more to overlook the shortcomings.
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 16:28   #2602
VND
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
Yes, Right rear. I have noticed the rattle since my 1000 km service. It was mostly very mild. Then I did a 500 kms trip on our bad roads. And got my reverse camera installed on my 1000 kms service. Now the rattle is quite annoying.
I think adding some foam between the tailgate and the glass might help to some extend.
Do update if you get any solution.
Yes, mine is also mild but annoying though. I don't think the reverse camera has to do anything with it as the wiring just goes around the edges of the body, at least in my Thar - I got it installed at Mahindra itself.

We even checked by keeping the boot glass open, removing the hard plastic cover where the locking mechanism is on boot door, removing tail light etc.

Does any other Thar owner have similar rattle issues? That might help narrow it down!
Old 25th November 2021, 18:42   #2603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VND View Post
Yes, mine is also mild but annoying though. I don't think the reverse camera has to do anything with it as the wiring just goes around the edges of the body, at least in my Thar - I got it installed at Mahindra itself.

We even checked by keeping the boot glass open, removing the hard plastic cover where the locking mechanism is on boot door, removing tail light etc.

Does any other Thar owner have similar rattle issues? That might help narrow it down!
This issue was there in the old gen Thar also, the half height tailgate coupled with the weight of the spare wheel is the reason for the rattle, I have put a piece of rubber of the hook latch that locks the tailgate. Bhpian Sportsmedicine has got the door hinges replaced under warranty and so far the rattles are less than before in his Thar.
abhikb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 19:37   #2604
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think the reverse camera has to do anything with it as the wiring just goes around the edges of the body, at least in my Thar - I got it installed at Mahindra itself.

My reverse camera was installed in Mahindra service center as well. But the service center experience is not very good for me. I suppose the rattle is from the rear door hinges or the Hydraulic struts of the rear glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
This issue was there in the old gen Thar also, the half height tailgate coupled with the weight of the spare wheel is the reason for the rattle, I have put a piece of rubber of the hook latch that locks the tailgate. Bhpian Sportsmedicine has got the door hinges replaced under warranty and so far the rattles are less than before in his Thar.
Yes, I have similar assumptions now. I suppose its the weight of the spare wheel on the tailgate causing this issue. Replacement of door hinges can be done but as I said before, the fitment won't be good here.
As far as adding rubber is concerned, which hook latch did you add the piece of rubber? There are two such points on the Thar's rear left body.

Spraying WD40 on the hinges might help?

Last edited by dr_TJ : 25th November 2021 at 19:39.
Old 25th November 2021, 20:03   #2605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
Yes, I have similar assumptions now. I suppose its the weight of the spare wheel on the tailgate causing this issue. Replacement of door hinges can be done but as I said before, the fitment won't be good here.
As far as adding rubber is concerned, which hook latch did you add the piece of rubber? There are two such points on the Thar's rear left body.

Spraying WD40 on the hinges might help?
You may try spraying WD40 it can help reduce the noise, I have a CRDe whereby there’s one point latch system. You can put it in both and see.
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 15:50   #2606
BHPian

I recently got my Thar convertible top serviced at 21k. Here are a few points which I'd like to share.

Problems that I've faced so far.

-Rattling tailgate
-Blown horn.
-Rattling front suspension.
-Grinding noise from right front tyre.
-Tyre pressure light always on.
-Low headlight throw.
-Broken air vent knobs.
-Rear shocker leak.

Solution:

-Wrapped Doctor Tape around the hinge and the noise stopped completely.
-The company has promised to replace it under warranty.
-Please note!! If you hear metallic shingling sound from the front suspension while driving with windows down kindly visit the service station and get the bolts tightened. Problem solved.
-This is yet to be resolved. It could also be the ESP. Not sure.
-Resolved at the service station.
-I set the beam to Level-2 which is a significant improvement.
- Might wait for all the knobs to break and then go for something after market.
- It was quite surprising that both the rear shocks leaked when I travel only with two passengers at the back and very rarely with three. Never have I taken the car for off roading. The service people initially agreed for replacement under warranty but then refused stating that the oil from the shocks actually has to drip on to the ground in order to qualify for replacement.

Other observations:

While speaking to some if the guys at the service station I was informed that a Thar had come in earlier because it was emitting white smoke from under the hood. The reason being the owner had filled rice sacks at the rear and the problem got resolved as soon as they unloaded the vehicle. Hence, they advised me to not put the vehicle under stress because the bs6 component runs extremely hot and fins inside it tend to stick to each other under extreme conditions.

The lingering question now in my head is, if a Bs6 Thar is actually a Jeep or is it just a sheep in wolf's clothing? Let's not forget that the engine too is aluminum construct, 80kgs lighter than the previous mill.

Experts please guide regarding Mahindra's replacement policy and the reliability of Bs6 technology.

Edit: The company replaced the hood latch and the radiator hose free of cost. The front bumper was dismantled and I learnt that it is all plastic which should not be used for standing or sitting.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20211124_130902.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20211112_155438.jpg  

Last edited by Malhi : 26th November 2021 at 16:16. Reason: Addendum
Malhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 16:31   #2607
BHPian

Grinding noise from the right front tire - When do you have this sound coming up? I have the similiar sound at times, especially when it rains and going at slow speed while braking. Sound is clearly audible especially when I engage hill decent control and metal clanking sound which I believe is either from the disc brakes or from HDC system. I got no clue how to resolve this as at times it can get a bit annoying.
Old 26th November 2021, 17:06   #2608
BHPian

Regarding the grinding noise - get the front caliper pins cleaned and grease. Also grease the contact between the brake pad edges and the retaining vlips. This should solve the problem.
If not you will have to get a complete check to see if the front bearing is running dry.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 17:11   #2609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malhi View Post
I recently got my Thar convertible top serviced at 21k. Here are a few points which I'd like to share.

The lingering question now in my head is, if a Bs6 Thar is actually a Jeep or is it just a sheep in wolf's clothing? Let's not forget that the engine too is aluminum construct, 80kgs lighter than the previous mill.
Yours is a Diesel or Petrol. I was keen to know if other members on this forum have faced this issue. Could it be confined to Diesel only or Petrol is also having the same issues.
Old 26th November 2021, 21:03   #2610
BHPian

Quote:

Please get the Air Extractor checked. It is located in the Tail gate where we have the mount for the spare wheel.
I have a doubt that the rattle might be from this area.
Also get the Gas struts for the Rear Glass checked. This might cause the rattle.
I am not able to get my car to the service center as of now, so if possible please get these checked and update here
dr_TJ is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks