Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2021, 12:04   #2491
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriyanshSpeaks View Post
Awaiting the pictures! I’m curious to know, did they have CZAR AT on or Wanderers?
Sorry for the delayed response, Priyansh. I got busy with some travel. I'm not sure if you are done with your PDI already! I'm sharing some pictures though.

- Mine does have CEAT CZAR AT on it. There were few others in the stockyard, most had MRF on them.
- I see some dust stained on certain corner that they could not wash closely, I see that's expected since it may have been standing for 3-4 months in the factory
- I see some rust on the disks, but that is not an issue according to me, this is common during monsoon season. In fact, I see more of it on other newer vehicles, mine they would have cleaned recently after the arrival
- Serial number in my case is 22xxx series. However, the sequence number is in 12xxx. Recent vehicles had serial number in 30K range if I remember it correct. However, the sequence numbers are 40k range, they usually write/mark the sequence numbers on the vehicles and seems to be referring to them by sequence numbers it seems
- I couldn't see any issues on external observations, paint work around the edges of the door etc looked alright to me
- I have got tyres from 2521, that is 3rd week of Jun, I find it to be alright to accept that
- I see the battery manufacturing date to be Jun 21 itself
- I don't see anything to be concerned about under the wheel well, including some metal parts and suspensions looks clean
- I don't see anything to be of concerned about inside the engine bay, everything looked neat and tidy up, all cables and fittings looked to be in the factory fit or condition
- Odo had 4 kms on it, indicates the distance driven to/from loading/unloading points. Their Mysore road stockyard is good distance from the main road

I have taken the delivery yesterday. Looking at all the options to get some time off and rolling towards the hills now but I'm in a rare situation where I'm busy with some social gatherings due to festival. I'll spend time reading manual till get an opportunity to go out. Looking for some hilly terrain around for the run-in rides.
The diesel motor is really sweet. I'm yet to get the foot-mats and some basic accessories.
I shall share more pictures and experience once I go through it.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20211030_140005.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20211030_140940.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20211030_141124.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20211030_141414.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20211030_143831.jpg  

Last edited by Ketan : 5th November 2021 at 12:21.
Ketan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 12:49   #2492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I have taken the delivery yesterday. Looking at all the options to get some time off and rolling towards the hills now but I'm in a rare situation where I'm busy with some social gatherings due to festival. I'll spend time reading manual till get an opportunity to go out. Looking for some hilly terrain around for the run-in rides.
The diesel motor is really sweet. I'm yet to get the foot-mats and some basic accessories.
I shall share more pictures and experience once I go through it.
Wonderful news Ketan, am so glad to see everything worked out well and you got the Thar. Congratulations and wish you a wonderful experience.

I have also been out of town and got a chance to drive my Thar yesterday. Hadnt had a chance to touch it since the day I got it home.
We had to visit some relatives and dad was very enthusiastic about taking the Thar.
He did a 3-4 km test drive and really enjoyed it but then going with mom and dad meant dad had to sit at the rear as mom had to wear a sari.
Both managed it like champs though i sorely felt the need of a grab handle.
Another glitch I felt was the bluetooth not connecting with the phone. There could be some issues with the phone too as the android auto wasnt getting downloaded but I managed it today. Will check how that works.
The bug deflector seems to be causing some wind buffeting, it sounds so but I cant confirm. Anyone else got any feedback?
I shall be using it more over the next few days and post my views.
Hopefully also meet the doon Thar owners too soon.
sammyboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 15:06   #2493

Have finally succumbed to owning a car, before coming across Thar I saw car as a depreciating liability. But Thar made me think Live Young. Live Free. What use is the money if can't enjoy it ?
Thar will be my first car.

Can someone please clarify
- Delhi-NCR diesel RC is done for 10 years only right ? Does it lower resale value ?
- Have been in UP for a while, dealer told me that here 15years registration will be done, is that true ?

My dad and uncle are insistent on not buying from UP, they say UP is a bad number for resale and police stops frequently with it.

Wouldn't a 10 year registration from Delhi have lower resale?

Does police really bother UP numbers more ?

Delhi waiting time: 1 year

UP waiting time:
Diesel: 6-7 months( I had booked it 2-3 months ago, dealer is assuring Feb delivery.)
Petrol AT (same day delivery)
Old 6th November 2021, 09:26   #2494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I have taken the delivery yesterday. Looking at all the options to get some time off and rolling towards the hills now but I'm in a rare situation where I'm busy with some social gatherings due to festival.
Congratulations! Enjoy the ride! Did you get any documentation for TCS from the dealer? Also, please share the list of accessories you have got. I will be interested in dash cam if you plan to go for one.
Old 6th November 2021, 11:46   #2495
Senior - BHPian

I booked a Thar a few months ago and my dealer is telling me my car should be allotted soon..hopefully next month. I have opted for the Diesel Convertible AT.

However, I am full of doubts all of a sudden. Thar owners please help.

1) How bad is the ride in the City for the front seats? I live in Kolkata, so even where there are no potholes, the road surface isnt smooth.

2) I hear the rear seats are almost unusable because of the ride. Any truth to this?

I took test drives before booking, but am all of a sudden very confused.
For reference I drive a 2014 320D, Hyundai Tucson, and Honda City 2018.
AbhiJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 12:22   #2496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
1) How bad is the ride in the City for the front seats? I live in Kolkata, so even where there are no potholes, the road surface isnt smooth.

2) I hear the rear seats are almost unusable because of the ride. Any truth to this?
1) City ride is fair enough. Won't be like a Hyundai for sure but not bad at all. For reference, I previously drove around the city on a Hyundai Grand i10 (cushy ride), followed by a Maruti Suzuki Celerio (So so ride), followed by Ford Ecosport (Slightly stiff suspension but never concerning to me). Thar's city ride feels great to me even though Thar is my first body on frame SUV.

2) Rear seats are bouncy but still usable, only with very low expectations. My parents are aged but they still don't mind the rear seat ride. And the trick to a better ride is to manage the braking when crossing a pothole or speed hump. Normally we brake and once the front tyres approaches the bump, we let go of the brakes, but on the Thar, brake again for the rear wheels. The bounciness will be reduced significantly. Although can't do much about the side to side movement in some road conditions. I myself tried seating on the rear seats and a driver driving around. Ride quality is not good but on good roads, its livable. Maybe my expectations were very super low set.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 6th November 2021 at 12:25.
dr_TJ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 14:37   #2497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Let me put things into perspective. I drive the diesel manual hardtop. I am currently in Kolkata and my daily drive is Salt Lake to South City and back - I take the EM Bypass. The surface, I believe you already know, is anything but even and is full of patch work.

There remains a constant side to side sway and roll. You will feel each and every pothole (or patch work) should you decide to drive over them at slow speeds.
Slipstream11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 14:48   #2498
BHPian

Update on AC vents mod

After lot of asking around, I finally got the required information about replacement of the Stock AC vents (which are fragile) with Mercedes AMG style LED Vents.
This is also applicable for replacement of broken stock AC vents.
The procedure to remove the AC vents of the Thar is relatively complicated. We have to remove the left and right part of the dashboard to unscrew the AC vents. On the Passenger (Left) side, the process is even more of a task cause we need to unscrew the airbag mount before we could remove the dashboard. Only the central AC vents are easy to remove.

Once the vents are removed, rest of the work is relatively simple. For the RGB LED vents, we need to get a 12V Accessory power with the help of a Fusetap.
I think this could be a interesting DIY project. Will give it a try.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 6th November 2021 at 14:51.
dr_TJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 17:38   #2499
BHPian

Has anyone tried carrying a bicycle in the THAR? What’s the best way to tug one along? Please do point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.
Old 6th November 2021, 17:41   #2500
BHPian

Just a small update, with a larger review soon to follow. Took delivery of my Thar LX Auto HT day before yesterday. Everything was super smooth at the dealership. I had booked the Thar in July and getting it so early was a pleasant surprise.
The dealership (PPS Mahindra) and the staff Arafat and Sameer were always prompt and courteous. There was no pressure to buy any accessories. The car is an October make as per the VIN and the serial number on the plate is 32XXX. The tires are MRF wanderers.
The car has already been on a short weekend drive yesterday to Devnarayan Durga.
Initial reactions are very positive. The power is superb and the handling is not as bad as I feared. Super easy to manoeuvre in traffic and on smaller roads.
Two things which I felt worth pointing out-
1) I felt that the seat bolstering at the drivers side wasn’t going to last too long. Already felt it’s very squishy and pliable. Was expecting something firmer. Does any one have a good after market adjustment to it?
2) The audio, while not bad definitely can be upgraded to something better. I might spring for two sets of JL C1s and maybe budget (and space)permitting an amplifier.
More to follow soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-c1ed532d70304cbab3a03e39637cddad.jpeg  

Kapany is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 19:18   #2501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
Update on AC vents mod

After lot of asking around, I finally got the required information about replacement of the Stock AC vents (which are fragile) with Mercedes AMG style LED Vents.
This is also applicable for replacement of broken stock AC vents.
The procedure to remove the AC vents of the Thar is relatively complicated. We have to remove the left and right part of the dashboard to unscrew the AC vents. On the Passenger (Left) side, the process is even more of a task cause we need to unscrew the airbag mount before we could remove the dashboard. Only the central AC vents are easy to remove.

Once the vents are removed, rest of the work is relatively simple. For the RGB LED vents, we need to get a 12V Accessory power with the help of a Fusetap.
I think this could be a interesting DIY project. Will give it a try.
\

Saw these in person and with a trim prying tool, it's easy enough DIY project. Did you get a quote for the cost of these?
Old 6th November 2021, 19:29   #2502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavityavenger View Post
Saw these in person and with a trim prying tool, it's easy enough DIY project. Did you get a quote for the cost of these?
Got multiple quotes for the vents, they are overpriced at 15K,but the same vents are available at Aliexpress at less than half the price.
dr_TJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 20:55   #2503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
Update on AC vents mod
The procedure to remove the AC vents of the Thar is relatively complicated.
Thanks! Please let us know how it goes. A question to you and other fellow members. All these after market changes; will it have any impact on warranty? Even things like dashcams (front and rear) will need some modifications to wirings and fuses. I am wondering if it will have any bearing on warranty specifically for electricals and electronics.
Old 6th November 2021, 21:03   #2504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie_thar View Post
Can someone please clarify
- Delhi-NCR diesel RC is done for 10 years only right ? Does it lower resale value ?
- Have been in UP for a while, dealer told me that here 15years registration will be done, is that true ?
RC for diesel in national capital is for 10 years. It will definitely have a bearing on resale value. You can definitely get 15 years RC in Agra or any other city in UP.
Regarding UP numbers getting flagged by police in Delhi; I cannot comment on that. However, as long as papers are in order and no traffic rules are violated, I don't think it matters that much. For info, it is not only in Delhi. Very common in Maharashtra as well for police to flag vehicles from outside districts especially around festivals for obvious reasons.
alokk0912 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 21:14   #2505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoDrifter View Post
Has anyone tried carrying a bicycle in the THAR?
Have you tried/seen Bimbra's? They have couple of options. I have not used myself though.

I bought a carrier from decathlon for my Scorpio and works just fine.

Last edited by alokk0912 : 6th November 2021 at 21:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks