Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2021, 23:33   #2266
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

How good are the stock MRF tires for mild offroading? Question is mainly from the perspective of, if they get punctured easily.
Wondering if there is a cheaper solution to prevent any scratches from bushes etc. during off roading then going for a PPF.
Also, any suggestions regarding tire inflator/deflator will be appreciated. I was going through a few options on Amazon but all the products seem to have mixed/negative reviews.
Old 2nd October 2021, 09:37   #2267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Also, any suggestions regarding tire inflator/deflator will be appreciated. I was going through a few options on Amazon but all the products seem to have mixed/negative reviews.
I picked up the 70mai tire inflator. It's looks good and works great. It also has a digital display. I got it from nexdigitron for 2500/- odd.
Slipstream11 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 13:01   #2268
BHPian

Quote:
How good are the stock MRF tires for mild offroading? Question is mainly from the perspective of, if they get punctured easily.
The stocks will perform adequately on most off roads but they struggle quite a bit on clayey patches.

In the past 16k kms I've had two punctures on the rear right tyre, however both were screws (bolt and nail types) which had to be eventually unscrewed with pliers.
The fact that the tyres attract a lot of small stones and pebbles, I think the possibility metal pieces getting stuck in between the threads and then making their way further into the tyre increases.
Malhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 10:50   #2269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Today, I start my 11th month of waiting. I booked on November 30, 2020.

Another month, another call from the SA and another similar message: Your Thar is not billed in this cycle as well, Sir. Please check with the ASM.

Despite the ASM confirming (again) that the billing will surely be done by 30th Sept and the dealer sharing with me the ASM's email listing down the cars allocated to them (and the list contains my car), the end result is that they DID NOT bill my car. And this has been happening since January. I was probably too naïve to expect the car in January but May onwards I really believing the car could come - they promised over and over again. Fellow bhpians and friends' received their Thars - but mine never came.

The SA blames the ASM, the ASM doesnt respond to my messages and Mahindra seems to enjoy all this. At this stage, I am really not sure who is playing me. Is it the ASM or the SA or Mahindra. I understand the chip shortage saga but they are delivering other Thars/other customer orders as usual. So as much as Mahindra would like to hide behind the excuse of chip shortage, I highly doubt if that is true cause behind this delay.

After all this, I cannot stop but question Mahindra's unprofessional business practices and if these guys (Dealer/ASM/maybe Mahindra included) are involved in shady practices.

For now, I have lost 99% interest in the Thar. All the niggles that are still cropping up are not helping either. We are car enthusiasts and our clock starts ticking right from the moment we book. But Thar has taken 11 months and still going on. I think my 4x4 dream will remain unfulfilled as there is no other reasonably priced liveable 4x4s in India. All the Zanskar and winter Spiti plans go down the drain for now.

Not sure what the road ahead is like for new XUV 7oo customers but I think I am done with Mahindra. Was a mistake shifting from the Koreans/Germans and considering a product from an Indian company.
I've booked a day after you did. I'm in the exact same state here in Bangalore. I'm no more talking to the unresponsive sales rep, I was connected to branch head by ASM couple of weeks back, but that was the only communication with the ASM and branch head, post that they have stopped responding to my emails and phone calls totally.
Never ending failures on commitments by ASM and Dealer, no clarity on when they would be able to bill the vehicle as of now, last commit date is now in the past, the excitement has faded away completely. I'm thinking of cancelling the booking at the cost of loosing the price protection and the long wait that still continues.
I have my October drive to Northern hills stands cancelled (planned considering delivery in early Aug of this year).
All variants are going to require more or less the same chips, doesn't look like the chip shortage is the only thing in play here. I've got some records on M&M and Dealer's unresponsiveness, we can gather more details and cases and let's get media attention on this complete mess that has created by the great relationship between the M&M and Dealers, that may not help our delivery but may help future consumers to M&M.

Last edited by Ketan : 4th October 2021 at 10:52.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 14:07   #2270
BHPian

I am looking for an upgrade to my 2016 Hyundai Creta. I am strongly considering Thar as my next car. People keep saying it's an impractical buy but my reasoning is that I am young and single, so I can afford to make this mistake (if it is one).

I have a monthly running of 2-3k Kms, 50-60% chauffeur driven, 60-70% on highway. I have a habit of sitting shotgun when accompanied by a driver. 99% of the times, the car's max occupancy will be 2.

I am badly confused between Thar diesel AT and Kushaq 1.5 DSG. I don't feel any other car will be a worthy upgrade to my existing ride, keeping the budget under 20 Lacs.

My reason for Thar - I feel it's the Royal Enfield of 4 wheelers. No matter how impractical it is, no matter if you are not planning to take it to the hills or long tours, you want to own one. Moreover, it will be a significantly different experience from my current ownership.

My reason for Kushaq - Though the body style and ride is similar to my Creta, the engine and gearbox is from a different world altogether. My Creta had converted me into a torque-head, but the performance of Kushaq is too tempting to ignore.

Owners and those who have experienced these two vehicles, if you can help me figure out the right choice, it would be really great.
saurabhrai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 16:12   #2271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhrai View Post
Owners and those who have experienced these two vehicles, if you can help me figure out the right choice, it would be really great.
In my view, anyone who has an option in mind (to the Thar) should probably not head the 'Thar way'.
Slipstream11 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 23:41   #2272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
In my view, anyone who has an option in mind (to the Thar) should probably not head the 'Thar way'.
Very true, it's either Thar or nothing. It can't be something or Thar
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 00:03   #2273
BHPian

Quote:

I have a monthly running of 2-3k Kms, 50-60% chauffeur driven, 60-70% on highway. I have a habit of sitting shotgun when accompanied by a driver. 99% of the times, the car's max occupancy will be 2.

I am badly confused between Thar diesel AT and Kushaq 1.5 DSG.
My experience - While you will enjoy driving the Thar on highways(just for the commanding driving position and the diesel torque), it won't be a very comfortable experience sitting as a passenger. Unless the highways that you travel on are perfect and have no/very less undulations, high speed comfort as a passenger won't be that great. I got a chance to open up the engine on the eastern peripheral expressway near Delhi today where the speed limit is 120kmph but the roads have constant undulations. Co-passenger was not happy due to the unsettled ride, but I was enjoying gunning it in the 100-120 kmph range. Next in line was the NH 1 from sonipat to chandigarh. The roads are almost perfectly flat throughout, Thar felt like any other car and it was a pleasant experience for both of us. Another thing to note is post 90 kmph, wind noise will be significant. Since a significant portion of your drive is highways, keep that in mind as it adds to the fatigue.

I own a creta P AT as my other car. I still prefer it over my Thar when I have to travel locally in areas with high traffic due to the light steering, but if the traffic anticipated is not much it is always the Thar that goes out. If your city commute requires lot of steering inputs at crawl speed, drive in a kushaq will be a lot more comfortable as Thar's steering is somewhat on heavier side at these speeds. I would suggest taking a long test drive of both the cars in both the conditions before taking the plunge.
Tourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 06:13   #2274
BHPian

Is there any guidance on what should be the maximum speeds and engine speeds in 4H and 4L modes?

I used to drive my AWD CRV on hills and could feel the 4wd kicking in on several steep inclines and cornering situations. I am wondering if keeping the Thar in 4H during hill drives(not offroading) will enrich the experience? What would be the limitations if we chose to stay in 4H for entire hill drive? If the hill drive is longer ~150km, will staying in 4H cause any significant wear and tear?
Old 5th October 2021, 08:49   #2275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any guidance on what should be the maximum speeds and engine speeds in 4H and 4L modes?
Owner's manual specifies max speed only for 4L (40kmph), not for 4H. However, it does say in section 14.11.3:

Do not drive with 4WD engaged (4H, 4L) on the tarmac road to
avoid damage to the gearbox. Vehicle is having a part-time 4WD
and is not meant to be driven in 4WD on the tarmac road
comfortablynumb is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 09:40   #2276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am badly confused between Thar diesel AT and Kushaq 1.5 DSG
Please drop the Thar from your list ASAP if you are even thinking about choosing between it and a car from a different segment altogether. A comparison with the Gurkha, fair enough, but comparison with a Kushaq clearly implies that you will end up getting disappointed with the Thar sooner or later.

Quote:
What would be the limitations if we chose to stay in 4H for entire hill drive?
The Thar is a part-time 4wd which means that driving it in 4H or 4L on tarmac roads is a strict NO, unless you want to damage your drivetrain.
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 10:07   #2277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
MRF Wanderer AT are decent tyres and perfectly fit for offroad use, except in mud where all other AT tyres are also not suitable.

Quote:
Wondering if there is a cheaper solution to prevent any scratches from bushes etc. during off roading then going for a PPF.
Sadly none of the options work, a bi-annually scratch remover/rubbing schedule is the only fix.

Quote:
Inflator options, listed in cheapest to best order

-Search for RNG EKO twin cylinder inflator on Amazon. (Around 4k,cheapest but good solution, better than Chinese stuff and yet will survive inflating all 4 tyres)

-Find Slime or Bushranger 80-100 lpm inflators(10-12k, better quality)

-Get someone from Dubai to carry heavy duty compressors, generic ones but very fast 150+ lpm (5-10K, +customs)

-Get onboard ARB compressor(25-60k, depending if single or twin cylinder, will last forever and repair child parts available, best quality solution)

For deflation, just get a good quality gauge, deflate normally. If you are really seriously wanna do serious deflations multiple times a day or multiple cars and every second is precious, get ARB fast deflator.

I have used all of the above options I have listed.
.anshuman is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 06:57   #2278
BHPian

Was wondering why Thar doesn't have the usual black frits or dots behind the IRVM or a green tint at the top of front windshield. Never faced any issue on plains, but I was driving in the hills under bright sun and glare on the eyes from between the sun visors was bothering.

Checked a few images and found that the same is absent in wrangler too. What could be the reason for this and has anyone faced the same and found any workarounds?
Old 6th October 2021, 12:14   #2279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Today, I start my 11th month of waiting. I booked on November 30, 2020.
Cancelled my booking today. Done with Mahindra's shenanigans or whatever they are doing. Lost complete interest in the vehicle.
Pancham is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 12:35   #2280
BHPian

After 7 months of waiting, finally I got a call from the sales guy saying my car is dispatched from plant and is expected to reach Bangalore later this week. Honestly I too was on the verge of cancelling l, however this news has renewed my interest in owning this vehicle. Hopefully, I will be able to get my hands on Thar probably by 20th of this month. Eventhough my interests have gone down the drain over this long waiting period and frequent sighting of Thars on the road, the Jeeper in me is super excited now to have the renewed experience with the good old mighty Thar's new avatar. Fingers crossed!
highwaypatrol is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks