BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Got this as a WhatsApp forward
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-f36420e197fb496589a6726f060b8a53.jpeg  

Rajiv0909 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 20:20   #1862

Is there any update regarding price protection for bookings until January 8? Did somebody’s dealer confirm the same?
Old 10th July 2021, 00:01   #1863
BHPian

The updated price list for the Thar for Dehradun, Uttarakhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
What rumour ?! 2wd Thar ?! Sounds ridiculous, why would they dilute their brand so badly, especially when there's a one year waiting period ??!! Besides, where's the assembly line for this '2wd Thar' !?? I don't think Mahindra will ever consider this !! They have enough on their plates already...
I know this sounds ridiculous but if I’m not mistaken about a month or two back I had seen a few stories about this, I can't vouch for its legitimacy.

Does anyone else know anything about this?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-448109939e174c15be2962421dde13e6.jpeg  

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 11th July 2021 at 00:18. Reason: Merged back to back posts.
Mr.U is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 18:47   #1864
BHPian

How is the performance of the stock headlamps of the Thar for in city and unlit highway drives?
Has anyone upgraded the headlamps or bulbs?
I am getting my Thar in the later half of this month and I am looking for an upgrade just for the purpose of performance and not aesthetics.
Old 10th July 2021, 21:27   #1865
BHPian

Hi tourer

I upgraded to Philips racingvision h4 bulbs and they make a whole lot of difference.They are just plug and play.Hope this helps.

Regards
Brave heart
braveheart_77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 21:30   #1866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart_77 View Post
Hi tourer

I upgraded to Philips racingvision h4 bulbs and they make a whole lot of difference.They are just plug and play.Hope this helps.

Regards
Brave heart
Is this the 130/100 yellow halogens?
Old 11th July 2021, 10:16   #1867
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.U View Post
The updated price list for the Thar for Dehradun, Uttarakhand
I don’t know if many noticed this , while seeing the new price list I noticed the the 6 str AX variant has made a comeback for the Thar!!

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 11th July 2021 at 10:24.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 12:21   #1868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
Is this the 130/100 yellow halogens?
Hello slipstream

This is the description for the bulbs,
Philips racingvision h4 headlamps
12v-60/55 w bulb

Bought from amazon

Regards
Braavheart
Old 11th July 2021, 16:01   #1869
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar Might Lose 4 Star GNCAP Safety Rating – AX 6 Seater Variant Relaunched.

Quote:
At the time Mahindra Thar safety ratings were released by Global NCAP, it was asked why the organization chose to test a higher variant of Thar and not the base variant. Global NCAP responded saying that Mahindra had stated that the 6 seater variant was discontinued. This is why Global NCAP chose to launch a higher LX trim. Global NCAP rules state that Mahindra has the option of reintroducing the side-facing rear seats at a later stage but then it will nullify its 4-star safety rating. Mahindra would then not be allowed to use it in any form of communication as Global NCAP rules clearly state a star rating is applicable to the entire model’s lineup and not just a particular variant. Global NCAP might test the base-spec variant of Thar and allot a new safety rating.
Source: RUSH LANE

Read more

https://www.rushlane.com/mahindra-th...-12406496.html

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 11th July 2021 at 16:04.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 20:13   #1870

I booked mine in Dec '20 and yesterday the dealer called me over to personally hand me an apology letter from M&M for possible delay in delivery, with an accessories discount coupon. Curious as to whether anybody else has had this happen to them too.
Old 11th July 2021, 23:47   #1871
Senior - BHPian

Checked out a friend's Petrol AT LX Hard top variant last week. We had the previous gen Thar in family, so I was pretty excited to check this one.

Lot has been discussed about this Thar, so I'll stick to the points that stood out most w.r.t. our old one.

Good :
  • Miles ahead of previous generation in every aspect.
  • Petrol version has really really good NVH. Standing outside, tappet sound was slightly on higher side compared to other petrol engines, but nothing concerning.
  • Pulls excellently from standstill; gear shifts, though noticeable, are well calibrated.
  • Steering has good weight to it, the way I like it. Earlier steering was bit too light for me.
  • Suspension is much more matured, even at rear seat.

Bad :
The transmission can be shifted from Parking to Reverse to Neutral to Drive without pressing down on brake. The vehicle starts to move forward or reverse immediately. This can catch the first timers with this vehicle off-guard.

Not so good :
  • Getting in-out of rear seat is bit of task. But it feels easy after couple of tries. And I weigh more than 100kg, with 5' 8" height. So, should be much better for leaner folks and kids. Strictly no, for elderly or ladies in saree.
  • The movement of mode selector lever (gear lever) is not smooth as in other ATs that I have driven. It feels notchy and is more audible. Not sure if this is the correct way to describe it, but I didn't like the feel.
  • This vehicle had its share of quality issues with just 10,000 kms on ODO. And I noticed these within 15mins that I spent apart from driving.

AC vent knobs have broken, dealer is checking if the vents can be replaced under warranty.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210711_230139.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210711_230109.jpg

Passenger seat trim has started to come off. This is the area where people tend to hold the seat while pulling it down to access rear seat.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210711_232705.jpg

Rubber beading on B-Pillar has become loose.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210711_225938.jpg

Trim on the cage pipe at rear is misaligned.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210711_230026.jpg
AutoNoob is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 08:07   #1872
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Mahindra Thar Might Lose 4 Star GNCAP Safety Rating – AX 6 Seater Variant Relaunched.
I really don’t think the AX 6-seater will be relaunched. Mahindra is actually moving the entire Thar range higher up in the price spectrum. Aftwr the recent price revision only AX (O) variant is left in the catalog and that is also priced very close to the LX. When they have such a huge production constraint and when they can realise much higher margins on the LX trims, there is no logical reason whatsoever to launch a low priced six seater AX variant in the foreseeable future. These on-line car mags like Rushlane will speculate and write anything to get eyeballs.

What M&M could do, say after 2023 once the demand for the Thar is fully satisfied and they have spare production capacity available, is launch a utility version of the Thar, under a different brand (such as resurrecting the “Major”). This could be given the 1.5 Diesel from the new Bolero and the 1.5 mStallion petrol engines, with choice of a 2WD or 4WD and priced under 10 lakhs. A car like that could be aimed at first time car buyers and the commercial segment with jungle lodges etc. and should receive a strong response, just for the looks and cult status it enjoys among youth.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 12th July 2021 at 08:13.
84.monsoon is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 09:12   #1873
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
I don’t know if many noticed this , while seeing the new price list I noticed the the 6 str AX variant has made a comeback for the Thar!!
Good observation.

The return of the AX was inevitable, but with rumours of the lite Thar, thought that the AX was gone.

Looks like Mahindra either

1. Got confident of the Thar's success and didn't need the star rating anymore

2. It is already established that the Thar is safe now, with 4 star rating. Even if the soft top 6 seater comes back, it maybe implied that the hardtop is still safe.

3. Price increase of the Thar may have forced them to bring the AX back. Though I am not sure if fleet buyers are going to take to the Thar soft top as they did to the 1st gen Thar Di.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 11:38   #1874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
What M&M could do, say after 2023 once the demand for the Thar is fully satisfied and they have spare production capacity available, is launch a utility version of the Thar, under a different brand (such as resurrecting the “Major”). This could be given the 1.5 Diesel from the new Bolero and the 1.5 mStallion petrol engines, with choice of a 2WD or 4WD and priced under 10 lakhs. A car like that could be aimed at first time car buyers and the commercial segment with jungle lodges etc. and should receive a strong response, just for the looks and cult status it enjoys among youth.
During my last visit to Jim Corbett, I was having casual talk with safari Gypsy drivers, some of them are owners as well. They were concerned that Maruti has stopped Gypsy production and they aren't having any suitable alternatives.

As you mentioned, I feel this is one such market where Mahindra can pitch its low cost Thar rebadge ("Major" etc.)
AutoNoob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 11:56   #1875
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I really don’t think the AX 6-seater will be relaunched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
It is already established that the Thar is safe now, with 4 star rating. Even if the soft top 6 seater comes back, it maybe implied that the hardtop is still safe.
Unfortunately, the six seater version is a reality and Mahindra has quietly brought it under the mix after getting the 4-star ratings from NCAP for the two seater base variant. Now, the thing is, this six seater version doesn’t even get seat belts in the back and this version was not crash tested !! So what Mahindra is doing- they are cashing in on the 4-star ratings mark despite knowing the fact that the six seater will fail on the safety ratings. In a country where airbags were once considered luxury on the pretext that the car will be driven inside the city only, I can imagine what the folks at Mahindra thought before introducing the six seater version

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 12th July 2021 at 11:58.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks