Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2021, 12:58   #1756
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Mahindra Thar 2.0 Petrol AT gives the TATA Nexon EV (ackward comparison, but anyways!) a run for its money on the dragstrip!

Completes the quarter mile in 17.107 seconds.

Some other interesting ACI drag race figures of automatics for comparison -

Toyota Innova 2.8 Diesel AT - 17.104 seconds.
Kia Seltos 1.4 Petrol DCT - 17.599 seconds.
Honda Civic Petrol CVT - 18.664 seconds.
MG Hector 1.5 Petrol DCT - 18.747 seconds.

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 15:51   #1757
BHPian

The current waiting times vary by city/dealer. In order to check the current waiting period, you can head over to the mahindra Thar official webpage https://auto.mahindra.com/suv/thar

Then click on book online and pick your variant. At the end you will see a notification of the current waiting period of that variant.

I booked my Thar on May 25th: Automatic, CT, Petrol in Red color from Chandigarh and the waiting was 18-19 weeks. At the same dealer, the waiting for the HT variant was around 50 weeks.

Hope this helps.
Cavityavenger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 20:30   #1758
BHPian

A quick update on my long wait to get the beast. Completed the pdi and gave a go ahead for the delivery of my Red beast next week.
The car arrived from the stock yard, unwashed, but looked great. All looked good and odo read 9 kms.

Only point raised was leak check to be done for the Hard Top. I have been promised it will be taken care of. Lockdown hasn't helped in getting the accessories on time, so will be delayed to get the 7 slat grill and rear arm rests fixed.

Fingers crossed for next week.
justwheels is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 20:41   #1759

Quote:
Originally Posted by phkr19 View Post

I had called the SA earlier today and the showroom is apparently now open. Asked him to share the VIN details which he told he would by end of day( I'm not too hopeful him sending it).

Also, told him that I'd be doing a PDI before making any payment and he wanted to know what I'd be covering in the PDI! LOL!
Finally got to see the vehicle in flesh yesterday(17th June) at Sireesh Auto, Silk Board Jn. Had asked to SA to get the vehicle to showroom(since he wasn't keen on taking us to the stockyard) so that I could do a PDI. It had 32kms on the ODO, March Manufactured, serial number was a 13K series and everything looked good.

Once the PDI was done, finances were taken care of and it was a green light for registration process to begin.

Have to few questions to fellow members
1. Is the rear camera that Mahindra provides as genuine accessory worth? Thar badly needs a rear camera and I remember reading that the guide lines are static. Would want the guide lines to be dynamic(based on steering input?). Is this possible?

2. Does Mahindra provide any mats in the car as standard or should they be purchased separately?

3. Any pointers towards under body protection? I see that Mahindra offers a radiator guard for around 6K, and then there is Prad 4x4 who offer a full underbody protection for around 14K I think.
Has anyone installed these and any feedback on the materials used would help.

Cheers!
Old 18th June 2021, 21:01   #1760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
A quick update on my long wait to get the beast. Completed the pdi and gave a go ahead for the delivery of my Red beast next week.
The car arrived from the stock yard, unwashed, but looked great. All looked good and odo read 9 kms.

Only point raised was leak check to be done for the Hard Top. I have been promised it will be taken care of. Lockdown hasn't helped in getting the accessories on time, so will be delayed to get the 7 slat grill and rear arm rests fixed.

Fingers crossed for next week.
Just to be clear, did you find any leaks or did you ask them to get the issue checked if it at all exists? Congratulations. Do share pictures!
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 23:10   #1761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phkr19 View Post
Finally got to see the vehicle in flesh yesterday(17th June) at Sireesh Auto, Silk Board Jn. Had asked to SA to get the vehicle to showroom(since he wasn't keen on taking us to the stockyard) so that I could do a PDI. It had 32kms on the ODO, March Manufactured, serial number was a 13K series and everything looked good.

Once the PDI was done, finances were taken care of and it was a green light for registration process to begin.

Have to few questions to fellow members
1. Is the rear camera that Mahindra provides as genuine accessory worth? Thar badly needs a rear camera and I remember reading that the guide lines are static. Would want the guide lines to be dynamic(based on steering input?). Is this possible?

2. Does Mahindra provide any mats in the car as standard or should they be purchased separately?

3. Any pointers towards under body protection? I see that Mahindra offers a radiator guard for around 6K, and then there is Prad 4x4 who offer a full underbody protection for around 14K I think.
Has anyone installed these and any feedback on the materials used would help.

Cheers!
Hey, I too was there at Sireesh Auto Silk Board today doing PDI of my Red Thar around 11:30 AM today. Not sure if we bumped into each other. Would have been great to meet a fellow Thar owner and a Tbhp'ian. Mine too is March manufactured 13XX series. Had my ODO at 9 kms.

My two cents on your questions:
1. I too am looking for a rear view camera but have decided to go with 70mai rear and front dashcam camera. Gives an opportunity to keep the rear cam always on and use as a IRVM

3. I am opting for Prad4x4 full underbody protection. One time cost but will save the under body for a long time

Best of luck with your delivery and wish you many happy miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Just to be clear, did you find any leaks or did you ask them to get the issue checked if it at all exists? Congratulations. Do share pictures!
Sorry, should have been clear in my statement. I only asked them to get it checked thoroughly when they do the wash and specifically check. I did not perform the check.
justwheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 23:50   #1762
BHPian

Quote:
1. I too am looking for a rear view camera but have decided to go with 70mai rear and front dashcam camera. Gives an opportunity to keep the rear cam always on and use as a IRVM

3. I am opting for Prad4x4 full underbody protection. One time cost but will save the under body for a long time
I'm considering the 70mai unit as well. Great option for dash cam and reverse camera. The parking sensors though still need to bought from Mahindra correct or are there any aftermarket options? Thanks.
Old 19th June 2021, 00:05   #1763
Senior - BHPian

I have checked with dealer after the lockdown seems to be getting over. I was surprised to hear that the delivery date seems to be getting delayed by another month, I was given a date around Aug this year which he now said may become Sep this year. I was in impression that certain mfg plants were operational during the lockdown and Thar deliveries should be catching up faster than expected these days while there may not have been many bookings recently.
More surprises are when I read/hear others talking about they are getting the deliveries within a matter of few days and also see some agents offering certain models with premium on it.
I really wish M&M should have handled this better. They are loosing their credibility by not managing such things and may have an overall impact, not just on this one product but all of them they are marketing.

I'm checking with the dealer if I can change from HT to CT and if that can get me the car faster! I'm yet to hear back from the dealer.
Edit:@NIP, I've booked around the same time as yours, mine is mystic copper, diesel, AT, HT. I have been dealing with a sales rep who is really pathetic. I'll be privileged if I get his response in time. I'm really thinking of asking Anant Cars Bangalore to change the representative handling my booking. He told me that my booking is been postponed by a month so I can expect something by Sep 2021. I see someone here who's booked in May this year and expecting a CPD around Aug this year. A good laugh on my booking that I made on 1st of December and still at the mercy of this pathetic sales representative or should I say dealership itself.

Last edited by Ketan : 19th June 2021 at 00:33.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 04:06   #1764
BHPian

Hey mates,

I would like to know something about the diesel engine. Is it the same engine that does duty in the Scorpio and the xuv500? Xuv500 and Scorpio have a displacement of 2179cc and thar has 2184cc. If they are the same engine, why change the displacement at all? They could have simply plugged in the Scorpio 2179cc 140bhp engine. Why re-engineer and spend time and money? If there isn't anything much of a difference, why did they choose to go different here. Can someone provide some enlightenment?
Old 19th June 2021, 08:18   #1765
Senior - BHPian

I’ve been out of this thread for long now. Work was hectic with hardly any time and availability.

Good to see that the a few of our long waited deliveries are on. JustWheels - what a timing for you, on the virus followed with the lockdown.

From what I read here, Sirish Auto at Bangalore seems to be better with their process compared to Anant. I’ve dealt with Anant and each time, the only person who used to response was their Showroom Incharge. I’ve never had any thing come from the SA who took my booking.

My Thar is just about 2500 run, thanks to the 8 weeks of lockdown that still continues. Itching to hit the tracks and the highways. Haven’t had a chance to get with my planned mods either.

Meanwhile, my son and I found a very small off-road obstacle that we decided to take it head on for some fun times. This was yesterday. I’ve to learn editing videos and make it ‘uploadable’ here. I’m not able to directly share a ‘ .mov’ from my iPhone.

My beast continues to be rattle free and hopefully, continue to be niggles free too.

Last edited by jkrishnakj : 19th June 2021 at 08:19. Reason: Spelling.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 09:35   #1766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I have checked with dealer after the lockdown seems to be getting over. I was surprised to hear that the delivery date seems to be getting delayed by another month, I was given a date around Aug this year which he now said may become Sep this year. I was in impression that certain mfg plants were operational during the lockdown and Thar deliveries should be catching up faster than expected these days while there may not have been many bookings recently.
More surprises are when I read/hear others talking about they are getting the deliveries within a matter of few days and also see some agents offering certain models with premium on it.
I really wish M&M should have handled this better. They are loosing their credibility by not managing such things and may have an overall impact, not just on this one product but all of them they are marketing.

I'm checking with the dealer if I can change from HT to CT and if that can get me the car faster! I'm yet to hear back from the dealer.
Edit:@NIP, I've booked around the same time as yours, mine is mystic copper, diesel, AT, HT. I have been dealing with a sales rep who is really pathetic. I'll be privileged if I get his response in time. I'm really thinking of asking Anant Cars Bangalore to change the representative handling my booking. He told me that my booking is been postponed by a month so I can expect something by Sep 2021. I see someone here who's booked in May this year and expecting a CPD around Aug this year. A good laugh on my booking that I made on 1st of December and still at the mercy of this pathetic sales representative or should I say dealership itself.
Hi Ketan.

Ditto. I am on the same boat here in Kolkata. My expected delivery date has been shifted by a month too. Not once, but twice. So all these months, I have realised one thing, your booking date is not directly correlated to your delivery. There is a certain amount of luck thats involved here when it comes to getting your allotment. However, since the allotment process is as opaque as it can get, here is what I have planned to do as my 7th month wait period starts:

1. Be patient, a bit more, then a bit more. I don’t see any other car with a 15L price tag that can replace the Thar. Many a times I have had this thought of cancelling the booking but what do I replace it with? A diesel AT with a 4X4 just does not exist at this price point in our market. So, wait it out. In the end, if we manage to get the car (relatively speaking) it will be a bigger win-win for us than what it will be for the SA/showroom.

2. While you wait, get hold of the showroom big dogs and breathe fire. Your SA cannot do anything here. Get hold of his boss/GM/Sales head. He is the guy with whom you need to establish a channel of communication. And this communication that you initiate has to be a bit aggressive, “raising hell, omg that customer is back” type aggressive. They need to know that you will annoy the life out of them till you get your car. Why this approach? In the sea of bookings that they have received, they forget about a few customers and a few bookings here and there. So you need to be that annoying topper in the class who likes the limelight. Just make sure, he remembers your case and takes it up actively.

3. Thirdly, if ‘being patient’ is not your thing, give yourself a mental date (end of July?) for cancelling your booking and use this time to look for slightly compromised alternatives. Like in my case, I will probably book a Compass (4x2) if this goes south and I don’t get a concrete response by July 1st week.

At the end of it, there is nothing we can do. The process is not transparent and to be honest, Mahindra does not care. They seem to be happy boasting the number of bookings every quarter and that “Made in India” plaque, that is about it. But saar, what about the deliveries? Where is my Thar saar? Oh yeah, about that. You know its a Thar thing? It’s so good that waiting should not hurt you right? waiting makes the ownership experience sweeter, and gets you bragging rights you know, oh yes and then there is COVID, lockdown, chip shortage, etc, etc, etc.. But its not done, 9 months for a car? Sir, please talk to your dealer then.

But now its June end (almost) and the CPD keeps getting pushed back every time I ask my SA. So I have stopped asking her. That’s one way of stopping the delay.

To conclude, no matter what the reason is, people cannot wait this long for a car. I am running out of patience as well. It’s not like you will achieve nirvana after delivery. The Thar has several issues so we might have to deal with those too. So all in all, we have signed up for an engaging experience. Either we drop out now or chose to continue till we have that last ounce of patience left.

Last edited by Pancham : 19th June 2021 at 09:44.
Pancham is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 09:55   #1767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Hey mates,

I would like to know something about the diesel engine. Is it the same engine that does duty in the Scorpio and the xuv500? Xuv500 and Scorpio have a displacement of 2179cc and thar has 2184cc. If they are the same engine, why change the displacement at all? They could have simply plugged in the Scorpio 2179cc 140bhp engine. Why re-engineer and spend time and money? If there isn't anything much of a difference, why did they choose to go different here. Can someone provide some enlightenment?
The basic block/engine is the same, however, It has been re engineered in the thar, which would have resulted in different figure.
Remember the same engine was brought down to 2.0L from 2.2L, when Delhi had that stupid cap on sale of vehicles with diesel engines more than 2.0L

Last edited by akshay4587 : 19th June 2021 at 09:56.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 10:51   #1768
Senior - BHPian

You can always get your Thar in short time if you establish direct contact with your Sales Manager. Mahindra sales reps are the dullest breed of sales reps you will find in the general car sales scene. They select the most lacklustre, laidback, non-go getter types as their sales rep. Do not depend upon your communications with sales rep as the last word on delivery or non-delivery.

Secondly due to the covid crises and long booking times, a lot of Mahindra customers who booked the Thar have become covid victims in the long booking wait times. Some have even passed away after booking leaving the dealers in a lurch.

You need to be in regular touch with sales manager to check if such vehicles have arrived in yard and original allottees have declined delivery due to some contingency. There are always a bunch of such vehicles every fortnight. If you do not keep in touch then the sales manager will give these vehicles to whomsover he feels like.

Apart from black HT models which always have buyers waiting to pounce, the other colour are harder to move, so be flexibile with colour then the Thar is yours before CPD.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 15:38   #1769

Quote:
Hey, I too was there at Sireesh Auto Silk Board today doing PDI of my Red Thar around 11:30 AM today. Not sure if we bumped into each other. Would have been great to meet a fellow Thar owner and a Tbhp'ian. Mine too is March manufactured 13XX series. Had my ODO at 9 kms.

My two cents on your questions:

Best of luck with your delivery and wish you many happy miles.
Thats great to know. I believe you were there on Friday and I was there on Thursday.

Also, thank you and congratulations to you too on beating Covid and for the delivery of the vehicle!

Thanks for the inputs justwheels. Only doubt/question I have with the 70mai product is that it attaches to the IRVM. Any thoughts on how it holds up on rough patches?
We've a Honda City(2014 SV) where the IRVM doubles up as a rear camera (aftermarket accessory attached to the IRVM) and the mirror loses orientation on rough patches. Want to make sure that its not the case with 70mai unit and Thar.

Yup, probably I'll go for the Prad 4x4 full under body protection as well. At-least from pictures looks like a better product overall.
phkr19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 17:20   #1770

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
You can always get your Thar in short time if you establish direct contact with your Sales Manager. Mahindra sales reps are the dullest breed of sales reps you will find in the general car sales scene. They select the most lacklustre, laidback, non-go getter types as their sales rep. Do not depend upon your communications with sales rep as the last word on delivery or non-delivery.
How does one go about getting in touch with their Sales Manager? I've been asking my SA to connect me with an ASM to no avail.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks