Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2021, 14:16   #1096
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
I think Kia has done a wonderful thing by offering the Sonet Automatics in the HTX variants against the earlier HTK+. Both the HTX autos hit a sweet spot for people looking for proper automatics; especially the Diesel Auto.

I would really love to hear from you about the transition from the City to the Sonet. They both are different cars in terms of almost everything! The biggest difference would be in terms of space, and also the driving dynamics.

Do share your thoughts.
It's highly tough to replace Honda City.
Let's see, 520 litre boot, great legroom both in front and back, 3 can sit with leisure and even 4 can fit at back, diesel engine which is high on NVH but compensates in ease of driving and then outstanding FE everytime. Not to mention it looks great in white color. And to top all this it's been a niggle free journey. And, everyone at home loves it. My wife is actually unhappy we are letting it go. Trust me when I say if Honda had a diesel Automatic City we would have swapped it in a heartbeat. Sadly, they don't.

Below 15 Lacs there are only 3 decent options if i want a diesel Automatic.

Honda Amaze diesel CVT- Very easy to drive but with good amount of load engine struggles. Interior is also not to our liking. Was considered but heart and mind both couldn't justify it. Plus considering the road conditions in the city I live, sedans aren't favourable. So, a good ground clearance becomes a must.

Nexon Amt diesel- My wife works with the Tata dealership and she was highly against buying a Tata, even when we bought Tiago she was highly against it
But, I have a soft spot for them. We had an Indigo diesel which ran for 1,35,000 km and then Manza which did almost same Kms. Tata was real VFM and in case of Tiago the deal I was getting for top model diesel was too good to pass so somehow we got it.

However, Nexon is a different story. I like it's looks, comfort and interiors but the AMT gearbox is a deal breaker. Plus Nexon diesel AMT comparable model to Sonet HTX is Nexon XZA+. It is 80k costlier than Sonet and with less features like omission of Sunroof, cruise control etc. And Sonet also has a proper TC.

Creta Diesel Automatic- We both love Creta. In fact, whenever I thought of replacing City I always thought of Creta. If we were buying a diesel Manual it would have been a Creta. However, I will be touching 40 in few months. Considering we will keep the car for a minimum of 7 years, I will be 45+ and still driving the same car. My weekly commute is 600 Kms minimum and that too in NCR traffic. Hence, automatic isn't a luxury but has become a necessity for me.

Creta diesel Auto starts at 18.80 lac. It's exactly 6 lac more than Sonet. Same engine/gearbox. What we get extra is some leg room and 40 litre extra boot space. Only extra feature I like is Panaromic sunroof which aesthetically looks pleasing but in actual usage is useless considering the weather in NCR. Only in Dec,Jan we can enjoy it a bit. Still, we gave it a lot of thought but couldn't justify spending 6 lac more for this. I wish my requirement was a manual

Sonet diesel Auto- Did a TD recently. Very refined engine and NVH is superb considering our diesel City. Drove it in Normal mode and it was a pleasure. Tried Sport mode and it becomes a beast. Interiors were good, seat was comfortable, legroom in back is less but 90% there will be only me and a co passenger so not a deal breaker. 392 litre boot is segment biggest. Suspension was a bit stiff but manageable. Overall, there were more positives than negatives so it becomes a no brainer. Hence, final decision.

Now only decision is color to select. I like Blue, Wife likes Black. So, we may get whatever among them is available first.

Last edited by harry10 : 16th June 2021 at 14:19.
harry10 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 14:21   #1097
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I am very surprised that even TBHP has not reviewed (based on the posts on 1st page) this engine option. Any particular reasons for that?
For obvious reasons, this engine option is usually not available for test drives. Kia has kept it on sale to advertise a low starting price for the range.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 19:36   #1098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
For obvious reasons, this engine option is usually not available for test drives. Kia has kept it on sale to advertise a low starting price for the range.
This is true.
Just returned from the Kia dealership and SA was mentioning this engine option isn't available in entire NCR for a test drive. Although they have healthy sales of this engine.
Old 16th June 2021, 22:27   #1099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
This is true.
Just returned from the Kia dealership and SA was mentioning this engine option isn't available in entire NCR for a test drive. Although they have healthy sales of this engine.
Not to divert you from the Sonet, but if the Diesel is not absolutely necessary then the Kushaq is launching in a couple of days. Maybe you should check that out before signing up for the Sonet.

Pretty sure the mid variant of 1.0 AT will be competitively priced. Not to forget, it’ll surelt be a fun car to drive!
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 00:07   #1100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not to divert you from the Sonet, but if the Diesel is not absolutely necessary then the Kushaq is launching in a couple of days. Maybe you should check that out before signing up for the Sonet.

Pretty sure the mid variant of 1.0 AT will be competitively priced. Not to forget, it’ll surelt be a fun car to drive!
Have considered it too. I like it's look and interiors.
3 major drawbacks though.

Petrol Automatic will not suit my monthly running requirements. Hence the diesel necessity.

Skoda A.S.S remains a big gamble.

And lastly the price. If we go by how Octavia has been priced I don't see them giving Kushaq an enticing pricing. If Skoda surprises us with a reasonable pricing then will surely go and have a look as and when it is available.

Last edited by harry10 : 17th June 2021 at 00:08.
harry10 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 10:43   #1101
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Bro got a Sonet for bhabhi, based on my recommendation. Love this car, more so in the fully-loaded trim. Other cars in their house include an Innova and i20, so I think it complements the garage nicely. She was most keen on the 5th-gen City, but didn't like the AT after test-driving it.

Kia Sonet : Official Review-img20210617wa0003.jpg
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 10:55   #1102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Bro got a Sonet for bhabhi, based on my recommendation. Love this car, more so in the fully-loaded trim. Other cars in their house include an Innova and i20, so I think it complements the garage nicely. She was most keen on the 5th-gen City, but didn't like the AT after test-driving it.

Attachment 2168999
Is this is the diesel or the 1.0L DCT?

My guess is since your reco, its the diesel 6AT
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 14:15   #1103

Quick question on the infotainment in the GTX+ variant, I have seen in all the variants that car play seems to be working in 2/3 of the screen and not taking up the full screen, is this by design ? I have seen some SEltos users post that it’s possible to go full screen for car play using some settings, wondering if gtx+ owners can confirm if they have managed to get car play working full screen.
Old 20th June 2021, 14:44   #1104
BHPian

Quote:
Bro got a Sonet for bhabhi, based on my recommendation. Love this car, more so in the fully-loaded trim
I think Sonet is the only car second to GTO’s own 5 series which he loves so much, and is always the most recommended for a sub 4m SUV!

I am yet to find a thread wherein he hasn’t appreciated this car. Surely, it’s well deserved.
Apart from the space (for 6 footers like me), this car is a beauty!

On a side note, this model is one before the 2021 update right? As it has the earlier KIA logo. That means it misses out on the paddle shifters, rear sun shades, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Is this is the diesel or the 1.0L DCT?

My guess is since your reco, its the diesel 6AT
I think this goes unsaid!

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 20th June 2021 at 15:00.
Old 20th June 2021, 20:35   #1105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bro got a Sonet for bhabhi, based on my recommendation. Love this car, more so in the fully-loaded trim. Other cars in their house include an Innova and i20, so I think it complements the garage nicely.
I pulled the trigger too, just because as a package the Sonet cannot be ignored at all, it gets everything thrown in at a medium price and the reliability and easy maintenance as well.

Is it a diesel auto or petrol? The diesel auto manages fantastically in moving traffic and under steady input, but it is a slug when put under hard acceleration, the petrol might be much worse. Of course nothing is slower than Honda in running traffic but the Korean autoboxes are second in line for numb response.

I just enjoy the Bose sound system and easy drivability everytime I take the Kia keys, but for long range driving and a refined, cocooned, comfy drive it is the Elantra. Kia is not Hyundai level in build quality or refinement, not even close.
Old 20th June 2021, 21:46   #1106

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenath13 View Post
Quick question on the infotainment in the GTX+ variant, I have seen in all the variants that car play seems to be working in 2/3 of the screen and not taking up the full screen, is this by design ? I have seen some SEltos users post that it’s possible to go full screen for car play using some settings, wondering if gtx+ owners can confirm if they have managed to get car play working full screen.

I have a GTX+ Diesel AT (old logo). And I can confirm your observation. Both car play and android auto only use 2/3 of the screen.

But I have noticed some YouTube videos of the new 2021 sonet (one with the new logo) with full screen android auto. Maybe it's running a newer software/hardware? And maybe older sonet's can also get it via a possible software update?
niranjan94 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 09:57   #1107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
The diesel auto manages fantastically in moving traffic and under steady input, but it is a slug when put under hard acceleration, the petrol might be much worse. Of course nothing is slower than Honda in running traffic but the Korean autoboxes are second in line for numb response.
I am a bit surprised to hear that the Diesel Auto isn’t quite a performer. I haven’t driven one though, but have tried this engine in the 2020 Creta and found it to be great! So I am assuming that Sonet being lighter than the Creta will deliver better performance. Am I missing something here?

On a side note, the Sonet 1.0 DCT is explosive for sure! The 80 kmph speed buzzer comes up in no time. Even post that, it has enough grunt to hit illegal highway speeds.

Quote:
Kia is not Hyundai level in build quality or refinement, not even close.
Well, Kia & Hyundai are infact two sides of the same coin! As a matter of fact, Kia is positioning themselves a notch higher then Hyundai, be it their showroom experience, customer service (maybe), and the likes.
I personally don’t see any difference between the two though. Maybe Kia is commanding a premium for the fact that it is offering better features vis-a-vis Hyundai models.

I may be wrong here, as I don’t own a Kia; but these are some of my views having owned a Hyundai for last six years & experiencing Kia cars very closely.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 10:19   #1108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am a bit surprised to hear that the Diesel Auto isn’t quite a performer. I haven’t driven one though, but have tried this engine in the 2020 Creta and found it to be great! So I am assuming that Sonet being lighter than the Creta will deliver better performance. Am I missing something here?

On a side note, the Sonet 1.0 DCT is explosive for sure! The 80 kmph speed buzzer comes up in no time. Even post that, it has enough grunt to hit illegal highway speeds.
I have taken 3 test drives of Sonet diesel AT in last 15 days. I have taken TD of DCT as well. Let me tell you the diesel TC is anyday better. In Normal mode it's very good but moment you switch to Sport mode it's a delight to drive. Of course everyone's driving style is different and in my case I will drive it 99% in Normal mode as it's more than sufficient for a relaxed or spirited drive.

Maybe Dark Knight is use to of the Elantra's power and comfort and that's why he may find Sonet lacking in that regard.

Last edited by harry10 : 21st June 2021 at 10:20.
harry10 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 23:26   #1109
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Dear fellow members,

This question is for those who have driven both diesel and petrol variants of Sonet -

Did you find difference in the steering weight between the two? We tried both the variants and felt significant difference in the way steering wheel felt. The DCT petrol feels light and super easy while the one in diesel AT feels heavy and to some extent uncomfortable in slow speeds and parking.

Everyone in our family likes light steering controls and while we all like diesel AT, particularly from reliability perspective, the relatively heavier steering wheel is making this decision even more difficult. Now I'm not sure if that's just us or is it really there as a problem. Can it be "adjusted" via authorized service centers? My understanding says it can't be but any inputs/suggestions/tips wouldn't hurt.

Thank you!
Col Mehta is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 23:34   #1110
S15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Below are mine driving impressions are from test drive of 1.2 Petrol Kia Sonet of one of my relatives :

Your post intrigued me enough to make me log-in again into Team-BHP, and I was just wondering what do you normally drive, so I can understand what your yardstick was.

The performance of the Sonet 1.2 should be no different from an i20 1.2 or for those of you who have an experience, from the 1.2 Punto/Fabia/Polo.

Ofcourse if your parameter is a turbo-diesel, or a turbo-petrol of whatever cc, or even a high revving 1.5 NA petrol (Ford Dragon/Honda 1.5 petrol), then, ofcourse, your being under-whelmed is to be expected.
S15 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks