Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2020, 18:58   #631
BHPian

re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

So finally! My Sonet HTX iMT has arrived, have attached a quick pic! More insights coming soon.

As of now, hating the weird bonnet design and loving EVERYTHING else!

Delivery experience was butter smooth, Car Kia in Hyderabad did a great job!
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-53acf2cc8e5245c0b6e8db8f987a8d04.jpeg  

vinitadikonda is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 20:04   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitadikonda View Post
So finally! My Sonet HTX iMT has arrived, have attached a quick pic! More insights coming soon.

As of now, hating the weird bonnet design and loving EVERYTHING
Congrats! The Sonet is going to be the next superhit from KIA!.

Do you really hate the bonnet design? . I think it looks striking and sharp!.

Now this segment is fully crowded. Each one looks better than the other . It is not an easy decision to zero in.

Hail compact/sub compact SUVs!.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 21:10   #633
BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet bookings cross 50,000 mark in 2 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
The Creta has been a smash hit since 2015 when Vitara Brezza and the S-Cross were available with diesel engines. That applies to the Seltos too for a few months before COViD-19 and BS6 emission norms had their say.
Truth is, Maruti-Suzuki was caught napping. Their all-new 1.5-liter diesel developed in-house wasn't compatible with BS6 norms inexplicably. You'll just have to wait until their development activities are completed and their diesel engine comes back to the market. We shall confirm their social responsibility then.
I'm not even going into the European's (VW & Skoda) emission scandal which was a very 'responsible' act.

Cheers arvi86 !
Whether Maruti comes out with diesel engine or not is yet to be seen. However what is clear right now is that the Korean car makers have shown somewhat lesser social responsibility.

http://koreabizwire.com/hyundai-kia-...t-years/132706

Yup, you are right about VW's emission scandal. It would appear that they have learnt a lesson. Its time for others to learn as well.
Old 24th October 2020, 21:56   #634
BHPian

I had booked Kia Sonet GTX plus petrol Imt in October but after I took my mum to the showroom and showed her the car she was not very Amused . According to her spending 14 lakhs on a car this big wasn't a good idea. Later I did a lot of Research and after numerous back to back test drives we ended up booking Seltos HTX
Key pointers I noted while comparing them:

1. Sonet definitely has better seats in the front. The Leather Is good and comfy
2. Seltos has a wider and airy cabin. It doesn't make you feel claustrophobic like the sonet (personal opinion)
3. Seltos is more silent
4. The four disc brakers do make a substantial difference
5. Seltos feels more compliant on the road
6. Sonet has a good steering but not as communicative as seltos
7. Sonet is a 4 seater where as Seltos is a comfortable 5 seater
8. In terms of drivability The 1.0 Turbo feels more peppy than 1.5 Na of Seltos
9. The design on seltos will hold up better than the sonet (IMHO)

Last edited by Gallardo_17 : 24th October 2020 at 22:04.
Gallardo_17 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 08:57   #635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallardo_17 View Post
I had booked Kia Sonet GTX plus petrol Imt in October but after I took my mum to the showroom and showed her the car she was not very Amused . According to her spending 14 lakhs on a car this big wasn't a good idea. Later I did a lot of Research and after numerous back to back test drives we ended up booking Seltos HTX
Key pointers I noted while comparing them:

1. Sonet definitely has better seats in the front. The Leather Is good and comfy
2. Seltos has a wider and airy cabin. It doesn't make you feel claustrophobic like the sonet (personal opinion)
3. Seltos is more silent
4. The four disc brakers do make a substantial difference
5. Seltos feels more compliant on the road
6. Sonet has a good steering but not as communicative as seltos
7. Sonet is a 4 seater where as Seltos is a comfortable 5 seater
8. In terms of drivability The 1.0 Turbo feels more peppy than 1.5 Na of Seltos
9. The design on seltos will hold up better than the sonet (IMHO)
Your mother is surely more sensible than many youtube reviewers . Saw many videos where one can clearly see that rear passangers not finding it comfortable. Reviewers are saying ki "kaam chal jayga " . But do you want to spend 14 15 lacs on a car which is smaller than some hatchbacks. This is the point one must keep in mind.
apache_aayush is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 09:12   #636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
Why would anyone book a Sonet over a Nexon or XUV300? Can owners list out the decision points? This car can't seat 2 in comfort at the back. Legroom is severely limited.
When I went for the test drive for nexon the negatives started before we got inside the car. The executive was not properly trained and he lacked knowledge about the car. We are looking for an automatic and the AMT offered by Tata is no where near the Diesel AMT of Sonet. It is very jerky and the engine noise creeps in at higher revs in the Tata. If it was a manual maybe we would have gone for the nexon. But Tata needs to work on its AMT. In my opinion people won't buy a car which costs 2 lakh more for a new brand just for features. The only place Tata scores is in the safety department. Until the safety ratings arrive for Sonet we shouldn't assume that it's not built well. As for xuv300 I had booked a test drive and called them multiple times but no one showed up. So we dropped it.
manubg92 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 11:46   #637

Reading the posts in the thread has started to make me wonder if I test drove the right car. ��

The one I drove had a Sonet badging, was as tall as cars in its segment, maybe one segment higher too. Had great view from the drivers position both for a 5 '10 person down to a 5'2 individual. Drove like a charm. Had a 1.5 litre diesel engine with super smooth automatic transmission and great power output across rpm ranges.

While the rear seats might not be as spacious as a Nexon, it's certainly roomier than most in the segment.I am afraid to take names here lest we have a war around it. And it boils down to personal choices people, but this car ain't the least well rounded car. So I guess we can appreciate the choices on offer and pick the best according to our individual sensibilities from the options available.
avaneeshvyas is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 13:37   #638
BHPian

[quote=avaneeshvyas;4916377an
While the rear seats might not be as spacious as a Nexon, it's certainly roomier than most in the segment.I am afraid to take names here lest we have a war around it. And it boils down to personal choices people, but this car ain't the least well rounded car. So I guess we can appreciate the choices on offer and pick the best according to our individual sensibilities from the options available.[/QUOTE]

Yes , I do agree with you that it boils down to personal choice. One has to consider how many times the back seat would be used in an year and people of what built would be sitting on the rear seat. The other point here is that although sonet is a well rounded package, it has certain short comings and that is the lack of legroom in comparison with other cars in the segment, this is what is being pointed out by others. This can be a make or break for people and if it's a not break for some people it's good , but if there is a possibly that it can be a break for others , then it should surely be pointed out .

leg room aside , Sonet is surely one of the best cars you can buy for under 13-14 lakh OTR.
Gallardo_17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 14:18   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manubg92 View Post
Until the safety ratings arrive for Sonet we shouldn't assume that it's not built well.
But we can assume that the TATA Nexon and Mahindra XUV300 are a lot safer than the Sonet/Venue/Ecosport.

After all, there has to be reward for companies like TATA and Mahindra for their emphasis on safety. Besides, it's not like Kia/Hyundai can't afford to spare a few cars for a standardized crash test.

I agree it's all down to personal choice at the end of the day. But for me personally, unless you can afford the dough for the top end variant, I don't see much value for the Korean twins simply because they don't seem to be interested in doing anything more than lip service to safety.
JithinR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 14:40   #640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
But we can assume that the TATA Nexon and Mahindra XUV300 are a lot safer than the Sonet/Venue/Ecosport.

After all, there has to be reward for companies like TATA and Mahindra for their emphasis on safety. Besides, it's not like Kia/Hyundai can't afford to spare a few cars for a standardized crash test.

I agree it's all down to personal choice at the end of the day. But for me personally, unless you can afford the dough for the top end variant, I don't see much value for the Korean twins simply because they don't seem to be interested in doing anything more than lip service to safety.
Yes, we are going for the top variant gt diesel automatic. If automatic wasn't the priority nexon would be a clear choice
manubg92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 19:30   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Sonet's bonnet is really heavy. That makes me feel that there is some metal in there, hence safer. In fact, it's heavier than my old BMW sedan (don't want to get into the crumple zone discussion as tin-can fan club claims lighter lid and tin build quality to be a 'feature').

Last edited by Aditya : 26th October 2020 at 05:03. Reason: Language
Googleman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 21:30   #642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Sonet's bonnet lid is really heavy so that makes me feel that there is some metal in there, hence safer. Infact, It's heavier than my old BMW sedan....
(Dont want to get into the crumple zone discussion as tin-can fan club claims lighter lid and tin build quality to be a 'feature').
Never said anything/implied about sheet metal thickness (otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned the EcoSport next to the Korean twins).

Just pointing out that TATA and Mahindra went the extra mile and actually got their products tested.
JithinR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 00:52   #643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitadikonda View Post
Congratulations
Now I have got some hope because we both ordered the vehicle on adjacent days
Old 26th October 2020, 01:11   #644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB999 View Post
Congratulations
Now I have got some hope because we both ordered the vehicle on adjacent days
Thanks! I’m sure you’d be getting this week.

My dealer called me on 20th that the vehicle was allotted, It was in transit and has arrived in Hyderabad on 21st evening! I took the delivery as per my date on 24th. Pretty quick and sweet!

Be sure to bug your Sales Ex
vinitadikonda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 22:14   #645
Senior - BHPian

Does the HTK Plus Diesel AT come with full time rear view camera ?

Can this compensate for the lack of rear wash / wipe ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks