Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2020, 12:38   #601
BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet bookings cross 50,000 mark in 2 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntee90 View Post
Add No proven safety rating to "This car can't seat 2 in comfort at the back. Legroom is severely limited"

I personally think its all due to marketing: Making you want things which you don't actually need. Pushing consumers from mechanically safe and sound towards feature rich cars.
We do not know the safety rating, I agree. But why are we assuming that the car is not mechanically safe without any data.
Old 22nd October 2020, 12:54   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntee90 View Post
I personally think its all due to marketing: Making you want things which you don't actually need. Pushing consumers from mechanically safe and sound towards feature rich cars.
Agree with this. I am pretty sure that most of these fancy features are not even used by 90% or more of the customer base, and these are good to have/ talk about features. I personally prefer mechanically rewarding cars with the basic comfort and safety features in place, rather than the so called "connected cars" which is the latest marketing pitch today.

I mean - I do not need a mobile phone to start my car, for heaven's sake. I can jolly well get into the darn thing and start it myself!

Sunroof is another, much vaunted but useless appendage in cars of today. If anything, it creates a safety risk when I see kids sticking their necks out in a moving vehicle. But, it provides fodder for the sales rep wen he boasts about how the car has a sunroof, and how its competitors do not offer such an essential feature.

Give me a proven, solid car with robust mechanicals and the basic safety and comforts in place, and I am completely happy.
arindambasu13 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 13:10   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
To

> The car-makers that packed their bags and left India (GM),
> The brands that still can't figure out our country's motoring needs and expectations despite an early-mover advantage (Ford, Honda),
> The brand that keeps increasing the prices of it's models with every nip and tuck but complains about our tax structure (Toyota),
> The brand that squandered off it's early success and enviable reputation and now struggling to hold it's own (Honda),
> The fence-sitters that have been coming to India for an eternity (Peugeot, Citroen, Haval),
> The distant-watcher who is steadfast in it's decision to not to come to India despite having models that could succeed big-time (Mazda),
Absolutely spot on observation and couldn't have been described better

There is no doubt that Hyundai has a very big hand in Kia's success as they had full access to the entire experience Hyundai has build over their almost 3 decades long presence in India. But this also shows how to deliver a success story in a very short span by following a fixed formula and that formula is no cold war secret I guess and is open to all. All it needs is intent and full commitment to market they are catering to. And that intent is openly visible in likes of Maruti, Hyundai, Kia, Tata, Mahindra and appears totally absent in likes of Honda, Toyota, Renault and this reflects in sales charts amply well.
AVL500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 13:11   #604
BHPian

re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhansali_hardik View Post
Oops! That's bad, please get in touch with your dealer and I guess others can help on this as well.

But once invoicing had started, it moved to retail status.

But not sure if dealer did this for a reason to me or this is followed for all the consumers!
The dealer finally gave us our customer id yesterday and now he is saying that the car has been delayed one month more as compared to receiving it at the end of this month, delay is from KIA's end. I remember seeing some members here say that they're seeing the GTX+ auto in stock in their cities, whereas it seems in mumbai you gotta wait more for that version.
Old 22nd October 2020, 13:22   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
What has been your experience driving the iMT. Given the fact that the HTX variant does not have hill hold, are you facing difficulties tackling inclines?
Well, it was daunting initially but it actually holds for a couple of seconds maybe. If it's too steep, we can use the hand break. For instance I had to take reverse on an incline, it sure was daunting! But, pulled the hand break, moved my leg from break pedal to the accelerator, gave it a little tap and disengaged the hand break.

It sure worked easily, but the main concern here would be the strain on the mechanicals, using this approach! But, this is the only approach we have to use I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
The remote key hold to start does not seem to work - thought of asking the dealer which i realized with the bad experience i would rather not. Will wait for the 1st service at 1000 Kms which is fast approaching. Would be glad if someone is the form helps me out Is there any reason this does not work? Anyone has any idea why? Please note that i have tried it with the car in neutral gear and hand brakes on.

Only thing that has disappointed me is the sound quality of the speakers. Not that its bad - its good. But with BOSE badging allover the speakers I expected mind blowing sound quality which I am not getting.
If you go through the manual, it clearly says 5 clicks for using the remote start feature. (We usually do no pull the hand lever so high) hit the lock button and within 3 seconds hold the "hold" button for a few seconds. The blinkers will come on twice and the car will start! sounds too complicated I know! But it isn't after you get a hang of it.

Bose was only used to bring the badge value I'm sure! It's sad, but that's what it's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post
While success it is, an overwhelming one that too, I have my reservations about the core values of an automotive, rather any company comes in.

I look at the other end of the spectrum, where companies like Tata and VW are sticking to their core values, VFM and Pure, frills free motoring respectively. Yes, they have been complacent if we may call so and not upgrading their product lines the way we want them to be, VW especially. But how I describe them are, these brands have been loyal to their purpose and core values. Could not bring in Honda here since they got really diluted off late.

Deep respects there. But again, what about the character? Well, none cares about that these days anyway.

With the trend, seems the old school car makers would pack and leave, sooner or later!
It's funny that you mention VW and core values in the same statement! I would not want their core values for sure! We are going off topic, but if KIA is good doesn't mean Tata is bad! In no way anyone can write someone off based on competitor's weakness/strength.
Tata has being delivering a brilliant set of cars and specially in the safety department!

But, since we are judging character of the car makers here, do you think tata trying to delete features silently or mocking the steel wheels with a branding name to make them look like alloys or many such small shady cost cutting moves are a part of good core values? Is that you would want to vouch for?
Old 22nd October 2020, 14:20   #606
BHPian

Sonet is hands down the best option in the current market. Be it styling, quality or vfm to some extend. They have a version for every budget.

Now that doesn't mean Nexon is bad. It is equally a good product. But if you see the overall package it can't beat the korean twins. It's engines and transmission are not as good as the korean's.

Only place Nexon may have an advantage is the rear seating and build quality to some extent.

50000 people who booked Sonet can see that and it's not herd mentality for sure. Same is the case for venue, seltos and creta.

Why sun roof is not a good feature where as auto ac, led drls are. If tata is giving them then it's good where as if Kia gives them then it's fancy.

Btw I cancelled Sonet booking, so my observation is neutral.
sou_3749 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 14:21   #607

My father took the delivery of Sonet GTX Plus diesel AT last weekend and he is very happy so far.

He did test drive all the compact SUVs and liked Sonet the most. Even in the engine and gearbox department, it does offer a reasonably strong diesel with reliable torque converter. Drove it briefly and felt the gearbox to be tuned towards fuel efficiency which I expect to be phenomenal for the power on offer.

even in terms of space though it is less for people with average height I do not find it to be deal-breaker and I feel that four people can sit in reasonable comfort during city trips and highway trips are less for most people and even there it should be ok. The product is quite well rounded and oozes premium feel. A lot of people rarely use full seating capacity and in those cases, the back seat is out of the picture completely.

The build quality also feels good and handling is pretty decent with the only problem being less feedback from the steering

I personally feel it is a good product for a large number of customers and does not deserve the mocking i see from some of the members.
cy_auto_enthu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 14:25   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post

Give me a proven, solid car with robust mechanicals and the basic safety and comforts in place, and I am completely happy.
While I agree with the sentiment, is there anything to suggest the Sonet isn't mechanically robust or does not offer basic safety? It shares underpinnings and various components with the Venue, and while it hasn't been crash tested (GNCAP), I have not come across any news or post that would deem it an 'unsafe' car.

Please do share if you are aware of any such thing as I am considering buying
the Sonet.
Coyote is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 15:22   #609
Senior - BHPian

Heard majority of bookings are towards the Diesel engine itself for Sonet. In fact the CSUV segment at once was dominated by Diesel engines mainly by Brezza, Ecosport. Look how times have changed Kia just took off like a rocket to the sky!

Kia, Tata, Mahindra, Hyundai who weren’t leaders back then marched on with their diesel offering. MSIL should truly read this story and should focus on bringing back Diesel engines back instead of just focusing on their boring petrol mills on offer now.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 15:46   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
With the Nexon the trade off is less features, less safety features, AMT transmissions and not so great after sales experience.
What less safety features are you talking about in Nexon?

The Sonet offers ESC/BA/VSM only in the top variant whereas in the Nexon it is a standard feature. The Nexon also provides TPMS in the top spec and is a 5 star rated car. Sonet isn't tested, however going by Hyundai/Kia track record with respect to safety in India, I don't bet on it scoring well.

The only safety offering Sonet has over Nexon is 6 airbags(only in top variant with untested body shell integrity) whereas the Nexon is much better off when it comes to safety for all variants with ESC (multiple functions including brake disc wiping) and 5 star rating.

Last edited by Car Architect : 22nd October 2020 at 15:51.
Car Architect is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 15:52   #611
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
With the Nexon the trade off is less features, less safety features, AMT transmissions and not so great after sales experience.
A small correction if I may suggest. The Nexon doesn't really lack much on the safety front. Ok it gets just 2 airbags. But the following actually are standard features across trims -
1. Corner stability control
2. ESP
3. Traction control
4. Hill Hold control
5. Electronic brake prefill
6. Roll-over mitigation
7. Brake disk wiping
8. DRLs (As per European norms this is a safety feature indeed)
9. Projector headlamps for low beams.

With this list as standard from base model - I feel the Nexon does not have anything LESS on the safety list. On the "Features" - yes put in a table against the Sonet and like all others, the Nexon even with iRA etc looks just average. The Sonet has raised the bar of "requirements" so high that all others are going to have to catch-up. We the consumers are going to be spoilt for choices & so demanding on comfort going forward thanks to the boom of car-makers in our segments. Its a good thing overall. Good competition, great choices. I just hope this doesn't keep on pushing the price brackets higher & higher for what are really just large hatchbacks.

Last edited by Reinhard : 22nd October 2020 at 15:58.
Reinhard is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 16:17   #612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With the Nexon the trade off is less features, less safety features, AMT transmissions and not so great after sales experience.[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Architect View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
A small correction if I may suggest. The Nexon doesn't really lack much on the safety front.
When I read about people comparing an untested Sonet in terms of Safety features with a full GNCAP tested 5 star rated car such as Nexon, I am reminded of this post by BHPian Seenz here >
vsrivatsa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 16:24   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Architect View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
A small correction if I may suggest. The Nexon doesn't really lack much on the safety front. Ok it gets just 2 airbags. But the following actually are standard features across trims -
1. Corner stability control
2. ESP
3. Traction control
4. Hill Hold control
5. Electronic brake prefill
6. Roll-over mitigation
7. Brake disk wiping
8. DRLs (As per European norms this is a safety feature indeed)
9. Projector headlamps for low beams.

With this list as standard from base model - I feel the Nexon does not have anything LESS on the safety list.
Thank you for enlightening me on the safety features of Nexon I wasn't aware it lags behind only in the number of airbags department in terms of safety features.

After looking at your post it seems apart from the 6 airbags it is the Sonet which actually lacks safety features.

Would request the mods to kindly edit my post and remove less safety features as a trade-off in the Nexon.

This is the best part about being a member of this distinguished community you learn something new everyday.
sv97 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 16:40   #614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
While I agree with the sentiment, is there anything to suggest the Sonet isn't mechanically robust or does not offer basic safety? It shares underpinnings and various components with the Venue, and while it hasn't been crash tested (GNCAP), I have not come across any news or post that would deem it an 'unsafe' car.

Please do share if you are aware of any such thing as I am considering buying
the Sonet.
I have made no mention of the Sonet (or any other car in this CSUV segment) not having mechanical competence or adequate safety. If anything, the Sonet has great safety features. You may have misinterpreted my comment.

My comment was actually on a different aspect, where undue or unwarranted importance is given to so called "features" and "gizmos" which are often of little real world value (at least to me), and forgotten once the novelty factor wears off. Companies and sales teams use these as marketing pitches- which is fine for the interested audience - but for someone like me, they make very little difference. For instance, this whole connected car business means little to me, if the actual drive experience is lackluster. I would thus give far more importance to a car with a solid engine, gearbox, ride and handling even if it had none of these fancy features/sunroof/branded audio system/air purifier/massive touchscreen/connected car capabilities and so forth.

A general observation on the way manufacturers perceive the Indian customer, and not directed at the Sonet, which does drive pretty well and otherwise a well rounded product anyway. The Sonet is on my own shortlist, and I was impressed by the diesel auto (didn't bother to much about the gizmos though).

Hope this clarifies.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 22nd October 2020 at 16:46.
Old 22nd October 2020, 17:01   #615
BHPian

My SIL is going to pick Sonet GTX+ Diesel AT after 2 days on Sunday. The car has reached the dealer. Till now the process has been smooth with no unintentional surprises.

However, I can share that we gave a lot of thought to Nexon. First Nexon lost on a pure automatic transmission. But another factor where Nexon lost and will continue to lose at least in my immediate circle is the poor after sales treatment from Tata. There is simply a lot of work that Tata needs to do in terms of how to engage customers during sales and how to provide service post the sale. What I have observed is that the after sales service of Tata is a lot better in Mumbai Pune belt. But for folks in NCR and nearby, it's a challenge. My native is a tier 2 town and the place which Tata calls as showroom is a shameful farce in itself. It's a surprise that they manage to sell a 20lac Harrier out of that showroom.

If anyone can enlighten me with better post sales experience in NCR area with Tata, it will help folks like me to cross the fence. At the moment, Tata territory is a no go place for me even though I adore their products.

Last edited by headbanger : 22nd October 2020 at 17:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks