Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2023, 12:10   #2011
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himalayan_Ice View Post
So after waiting for the Jimny launch for five months and a subsequent ridiculous pricing led cancellation later, we were left looking for a replacement car for my wife's WagonR AT.
Congratulations! Just one question, recently I noticed they removed the rear seat armrest from all versions of Sonet. Does your Sonet have it, or is it for just post 1 June manufactured vehicles?
Old 28th June 2023, 13:48   #2012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Congratulations! Just one question, recently I noticed they removed the rear seat armrest from all versions of Sonet. Does your Sonet have it, or is it for just post 1 June manufactured vehicles?
Thank you!

No arm rest at the back.
Himalayan_Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 18:19   #2013
BHPian

Hey man! Always happy to help as I was in the same situation as yourself and the good folks here played a huge part in nudging me towards the right car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss11011988 View Post
1. My office is 12-13KM away from where I stay and the commute involves some traffic congested pockets. Would taking the car once / twice a week create DPF issues?
I think it depends on two things - one is fuel quality, the other would be frequent short trips. Doesn't matter if you don't take your car out often, but if you only take it out for short trips, this may be a problem. But I usually do daily trips of 6 kms (x2) and sometimes moderate-heavy city traffic, but once in a while I do take it out for a good 30 minutes highway ride at least Should be good to clear the DPF. Or switch to manual mode and ride it at high RPMs, should work too!

But what I've noticed personally is that the RPM raising is done sometimes by the ECU itself to perform regen and avoid DPF clogging. I've not heard many D AT users complaining about DPF issues compared to manual users.

Quote:
2. I'm planning to take the car out on long drives twice a week. Would that be enough to keep the DPF healthy?
This should be more than good, even once a week highway rides should easily help clear the soot. If not, make sure that the fuel quality is upto mark.

Quote:
3. My car might see periods of inactivity during weekdays. Would that create DPF issues?
As mentioned above, this shouldn't matter at all.

Quote:
4. How high were you able to negotiate when it came to insurance?
Initial quote was 50K+ from Bajaj Allianz (tied up with Kia). When I pressed and told them this is too high and we might go for our own options, they gave an option of New India Assurance, which was around 39K. We went for it. Although you can go for any insurer and save a few thousand bucks, better to go with Kia as everything will be seamless and they'll support you fully in case of an accident (which I have experienced). Might have gone up a bit as the Car's prices have also gone up. Negotiate accordingly and tell them you have recieved quotes that are much lower (I got around 28-30K max).
epiccross is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 22:35   #2014
BHPian

Quote:
The SA informed me that the current wait period is 2 months but he can move me up in the list in case of a cancellation, though that seems to be optimistic considering the high demand for their cars. Any insights on this that could be of use to me, gents? Thanks again!

Regards,
SS
When I booked the Sonet in Nov 2021, I was given a waiting time of 25 weeks (ETD ~ Mar 22). My car was delivered on Jan 22, 2022. Go figure The demand for petrol variant may be higher but not for the diesel I think, and especially for the AT. So you keep your finances ready and grab the car at the first available opportunity (but post satisfactory PDI).

Quote:
I have few noob queries in my mind with respect to the DPF, I would be grateful if you could answer the same for me :
1. This will create DPF issues. My previous place of posting had me driving 10 kms each way but sometimes through congested places. After a week or two of non-highway runs, the engine used to signal DPF issues to me. The engine will start sounding like a Govt bus at idle rather than a smooth 4-pot engine.

2. Yes, it would be sufficient to regenerate the DPF. However, keep the distance to atleast 40-50 mins worth of driving and where you can let the Sonet run loose. The engine needs to be pulled sufficiently to have high exhaust temperatures to regenerate/clear the DPF.

3. No it will not create much issues with DPF if point 2 can be suitably followed. However, make sure your battery health is kept in check. Though, if pt 2 is followed, not much issues will take place with your battery.

4. I was initially quoted 49k for my Sonet. I got 50% NCB transferred from my i10 which I had sold earlier (both Sonet and i10 were from Joshi - Joshi Hyundai and Joshi Kia Chandigarh) so they did all the transfer of NCB seamlessly. My final amount for 1yr self and 3yr OD came out to Rs 31k approximately.
jasjotbains is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 11:41   #2015
BHPian

Quote:
So after waiting for the Jimny launch for five months and a subsequent ridiculous pricing led cancellation later, we were left looking for a replacement car for my wife's WagonR AT. ........
Really happy for you and glad that your priorities are crystal clear. More importantly Kuber Ross cycle has been completed for you
Me, As much as I know that Jimny is not really worth it for what it is offering, I cant really decide the way forward as I need 4x4 for my estate trips and a good engine for the highway run leading upto my estate trip. My mind is still in the bargaining phase with my heart and I hope that I'll reach acceptance soon. As you have rightly decided when you purchased the Sonet, Jimny is definitely way overhyped and overpriced for what they are bringing to the table and for the vast majority of people who have booked the Jimny, the Sonet is definitely sufficient and in fact a far better option.
Neil Roy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 12:03   #2016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
Really happy for you and glad that your priorities are crystal clear. More importantly Kuber Ross cycle has been completed for you
Me, As much as I know that Jimny is not really worth it for what it is offering, I cant really decide the way forward as I need 4x4 for my estate trips and a good engine for the highway run leading upto my estate trip. My mind is still in the bargaining phase with my heart and I hope that I'll reach acceptance soon. As you have rightly decided when you purchased the Sonet, Jimny is definitely way overhyped and overpriced for what they are bringing to the table and for the vast majority of people who have booked the Jimny, the Sonet is definitely sufficient and in fact a far better option.
If you think taking a lot of physical abuse would be one of the primary functions of the car, and if the off-road section is sizeable along with not traversable in a 2WD, get the Jimny.

You can use the back of a screwdriver as a hammer for a bit, but if the primary job is that of a hammer. Get a hammer.

Hope that helped!
Himalayan_Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 06:44   #2017
BHPian

I feel the Diesel AT is a better value for money, in my opinion, any reason you went for the petrol?
Old 1st July 2023, 07:23   #2018

Quote:
So after waiting for the Jimny launch for five months and a subsequent ridiculous pricing led cancellation later, we were left looking for a replacement car for my wife's WagonR AT.
Congrats brother . I was in the same boat of dreaming of Jimny but recently booked SONET HTX 1.0 IMT Imperial Blue and waiting for the delivery in July. Only my color choice is the reason for delay otherwise they were ready to be delivered almost in 2 days.

I was so excited for the Jimny but couldn't not afford one at this stage of my life and I had to make a practical choice. Probably after my teenage breakup, Jimny gave me more pain. While It was really hard to move on from it and not being able to buy one after dreaming of it for more than 3 years, finally I am happy that I made a practical choice. I will look forward to share a short review soon.

Request any Long-term owners of IMT to please share if I should be expecting any niggles with the IMT gearbox?
ani446 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 08:59   #2019
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satishtv View Post
I feel the Diesel AT is a better value for money, in my opinion, any reason you went for the petrol?
The Diesel AT was much more VFM before the BS6-Phase 2 norms kicked in, and the prices went up, when the Sonet launched the Diesel and Petrol automatic were priced the same ex-showroom, now the difference is 1 lakh. Before BS6- Phase 2 the difference was hardly 60k, but even now, when you search for a "proper" Diesel Automatic (not AMT) in India, the lowest-priced car you can get is the Sonet.
bijims is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 10:25   #2020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani446 View Post
Congrats brother . I was in the same boat of dreaming of Jimny but recently booked SONET HTX 1.0 IMT Imperial Blue and waiting for the delivery in July. Only my color choice is the reason for delay otherwise they were ready to be delivered almost in 2 days.

I was so excited for the Jimny but couldn't not afford one at this stage of my life and I had to make a practical choice. Probably after my teenage breakup, Jimny gave me more pain. While It was really hard to move on from it and not being able to buy one after dreaming of it for more than 3 years, finally I am happy that I made a practical choice. I will look forward to share a short review soon.

Request any Long-term owners of IMT to please share if I should be expecting any niggles with the IMT gearbox?
What an analogy! Yeah the pricing hurt. Probably more so because Maruti had been stringing us along for such a long time.
I'll be honest. I could afford it, but I refused to buy it at that price. I'm not THAT crazy for ANY vehicle that I'll pay an unjustified premium for it.

Also, Sonet wasn't a "second-best" buy for me. I got it because I truly felt it was worth the money it was being sold for.

Hope you get the delivery sooner and enjoy the happiness that this car brings you. I really like it. I am sure you will too!
Old 1st July 2023, 10:46   #2021
BHPian

My wireless CarPlay on the sonet has just gone garbage, barely works the whole system goes blank and is usually spawning again and again! Facing this consistently on the iPhone 12 and 13 connected! I’ve had issues since the start but now they are out of control, anyone else facing this?
Old 1st July 2023, 10:59   #2022
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhansali_hardik View Post
My wireless CarPlay on the sonet has just gone garbage, barely works the whole system goes blank and is usually spawning again and again! Facing this consistently on the iPhone 12 and 13 connected! I’ve had issues since the start but now they are out of control, anyone else facing this?
Absolutely no issues with wireless Android auto and carplay on the HTX Diesel AT variant, or in the X-Line Diesel AT with a 10.25-inch screen (although only wired). But a few friends of mine have reported unstable connections on their older 2020 Sonet with 8-inch screens. Don't know what's causing them. Has Kia done any updates?
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 11:04   #2023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
Absolutely no issues with wireless Android auto and carplay on the HTX Diesel AT variant, or in the X-Line Diesel AT with a 10.25-inch screen (although only wired). But a few friends of mine have reported unstable connections on their older 2020 Sonet with 8-inch screens. Don't know what's causing them. Has Kia done any updates?
I own the first iteration of HTX petrol iMT have constantly asked for updates at the ASS but none as of now in 3years! My HU has become almost useless at this point, where the connection is unreliable that I can barely navigate in crowded cities! Not sure if it’s got something to do with the 5g spectrum or any other spectrum interference. Have noticed a couple of spots in Bangalore where it always blacks out and loses connection.
Old 1st July 2023, 22:00   #2024

Quote:
I own the first iteration of HTX petrol iMT have constantly asked for updates at the ASS but none as of now in 3years! My HU has become almost useless at this point, where the connection is unreliable that I can barely navigate in crowded cities! Not sure if it’s got something to do with the 5g spectrum or any other spectrum interference. Have noticed a couple of spots in Bangalore where it always blacks out and loses connection.
Could you please share your imt experience so far?, have you experienced any issues?

Talking about the wireless Android auto, I realised only today that only lower variants (8 inch) have wireless Android and not on the top variants (from HTX) this is a bummer. Having a wireless connection is a good for my daily use. Did a bit of Google and came across this link (https://www.v3cars.com/news/hyundai-...s-connectivity not sure about the reliability of the news but hoping some update will fix it soon. While there are cheaper after market plug and play options for wireless Android or carplay, this is ridiculous to the least not to have the feature in top variant and having it in the lower variant. If not for the DRLs, led lights, color MID, and alloys, I woulD have stuck to my original choice of htk+

Last edited by ani446 : 1st July 2023 at 22:03.
Old 1st July 2023, 22:59   #2025
BHPian

Quote:
I have 2021 Sonet HTX imt - the one that started coming with alloys and updated logo. Never faced any issue with the HU, yes maybe couple of times like once in a blue moon it does take few seconds to connect. But otherwise no issues whatsoever, connects in micro seconds as soon as I turn on the car.

Last edited by speedfreak01 : 1st July 2023 at 23:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks