Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2023, 17:12   #1951
BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Hi,

I have been facing frequent DPF issues(every 300 KMs) on my KIA Sonet Diesel Manual, even though 80% of the running is on Highways.

I took the vehicle to the service centre one month ago, they checked and said everything is fine and just did parking regeneration and cleaned the sensors. One counter on the KIA OBD application was the "Total Regeneration Demand Counter " with a value as "255".

can someone with more technical knowledge let me know what that counter means, as the service centre guys are not really knowledgeable.
Old 7th June 2023, 17:38   #1952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveMiles View Post
Has anyone replaced Wiper blades?
I changed my wiper blades around 10k kms/1.5 years. There was a winter service camp last November, and I got the front wiper blades changed then. The cost was Rs.840.

Quote:
I'm thinking of frameless blades. Is it only aesthetic or very useful.

I also considered frameless wipers, but I wasn't sure about their efficiency. So, I decided to stick with the OEM wipers. Maybe this thread helps you to decide, https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-wipers-4.html (Should I pay more for frameless wipers?)
robincsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 18:47   #1953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamship View Post
Hi,

I have been facing frequent DPF issues(every 300 KMs) on my KIA Sonet Diesel Manual, even though 80% of the running is on Highways.
I can't comment on the error, but have you been refuelling from a single pump? I think fuel quality matters, because I've used mine in primarily city and moderate-heavy traffic with 60-40 city-highway rides (sometimes it's even 70-30) and I've never had the DPF issue. Also is it MT or AT?
Old 7th June 2023, 19:28   #1954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveMiles View Post
Has anyone replaced Wiper blades?

Thanks.
I got it changed from Kia Service center itself. Costed me 700. Working quite well. Outside also they cost almost same amount.

Quote:
Hi,

I took the vehicle to the service centre one month ago, they checked and said everything is fine and just did parking regeneration and cleaned the sensors. One counter on the KIA OBD application was the "Total Regeneration Demand Counter " with a value as "255".

can someone with more technical knowledge let me know what that counter means, as the service centre guys are not really knowledgeable.
Do this.
Drive your car at 2500rpm for 15 minutes straight in 3-4 days. Speed doesn't matter, only rpm should be 2500. I have been doing this since start and never faced DPF issue. Also change your fuel bunk.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 22:25   #1955
BHPian

Quote:
When you say 80% of running is on Highways can you elaborate a bit more?

Are these highway runs but very short like 5-10mins or are these sustained drives for 20-30mins? Also, are you hitting higher speeds or higher RPMs in these drives for a duration of at least 20mins?

These aspects matter and some more details on this will help the forum add more insight.

DPF issues are simply occurring because the soot that accumulates is not getting cleaned by the exhausts sufficiently while running. For this to be achieved you’ll need (a) good quality fuel and (b) exhaust to be hot and fast enough to remove the soot accumulation.

My explanation on this extremely simplified but the above is the general idea. If your driving pattern/fuel quality doesn’t achieve (a) and (b) then you’ll face DPF issues.

Hope you are able to resolve this issue quickly!
Old 8th June 2023, 07:44   #1956
BHPian

Below is the sequence of events

March end 2023 (9500 KMs on OD): Due to a rat bite issue, the service centre removed and refitted the vehicle's wiring, as they said there was an exposed wire somewhere which was causing the ABS sensor issues. They kept the vehicle for almost two weeks to identify and fix the ABS issues.

There were no issues other than an ABS sensor before wiring R&R.

After this wiring R&R, I started seeing two main issues:

1. Vehicle randomly powers off when the clutch is depressed/used.
  • It's very random and there is no pattern.
  • If the vehicle is at very slow speed(5-15KMs), the engine totally powers off, and I will have to manually start the engine(I have now learnt to look out for this issue at low speeds, and let off the clutch slowly and the vehicle starts with a Jerk)
  • If the speed is at a bit higher speeds(25-100), and I let go of the clutch very slowly, the vehicle keeps moving and starts itself with a slight jerk.
  • The issue can be very picky, sometimes it will never show up for 100s of KMs, but sometimes bother me continuously for a full day.
  • Below is the video of the same issue, u can identify when the engine powers off as all the cluster lights come on for a sec.

Video 1:

Video 2:

2. I get DPF issues every 200 to 300 KMs(after successfully parking regeneration). I even got it once within 50KMs for parking regeneration.
  • Image1 (did parking regeneration at 15400 km)
    Kia Sonet : Official Review-dpf_1.jpeg

• Image2 (received DPF error again at 15700 km, actually at 15640 as I could take pic only after reaching home)
    Kia Sonet : Official Review-dpf2.jpeg

April 2023 (10500 KMs): I take the vehicle to the same service centre that did wiring R&R, and they were more interested in doing the 3rd service than fixing the problem. As I couldn't replicate the vehicle powering-off issue when the clutch depressed, they just checked multiple things and said everything is OK.

The issues were not resolved and I couldn't take the vehicle back to the service centre, as the service centre is more than 100 km away and we had multiple marriages in immediate family and relatives. The vehicle accumulated a lot of KMs during this Month

May 2023 (14500 KMs): I take the vehicle to the same service centre that did the wiring R&R, they say they found a neutral sensor wire being loose, which they fixed and said they also checked everything about DPF which has no problems. Kept the vehicle for almost 1 week.
  • Checked fuel pump and fuel filter, and no issues found by the service centre
  • Checked Fuel quality from the fuel tank and diesel filter, with no issues.
  • Removed all DPF sensors, found no issues so fixed them back
  • I left the vehicle at the service centre, they identified a neutral sensor wire being loose and fixed it.
  • Took the vehicle back after 20 km of test drive, and asked them to check all the DPF values. During this, I noticed the "Total regeneration demand counter" being 255 and I asked about it. They said it could be the number of times the vehicle did "Auto regeneration"

June 2023: I still am facing both the above issues, and as I am now back in Bangalore, took the vehicle to the nearest service centre. I asked the service centre to check the DPF values again and I see the "Total Regeneration demand counter" at 255. The guys here say this value is not related to "Auto DPF Regeneration" and it's related to soot particles.

Does this mean the Auto regen is not happening in my vehicle?

I have now left the vehicle at Bangalore service center, and hope the issues are resolved

Last edited by vamship : 8th June 2023 at 07:48.
vamship is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 11:01   #1957
BHPian

Hi All,

Have purchased a Sonet HTX approximately six weeks back. Have got to know now that Kia Connect does not work on this version and neither does it have Uvo support. Is there any solution to the same?
Old 10th June 2023, 11:08   #1958
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused_soul View Post
Hi All,

Have purchased a Sonet HTX approximately six weeks back. Have got to know now that Kia Connect does not work on this version and neither does it have Uvo support. Is there any solution to the same?
No, Kia Connect and the earlier UVO App were reserved for the top-of-the-line HTX+, GTX+ and X-Line variants only which feature connected car technology and the 10.25-inch touchscreen.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 13:29   #1959
BHPian

Thank you. Any way to get this installed?
Old 10th June 2023, 14:46   #1960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused_soul View Post
Thank you. Any way to get this installed?
The app is good for one thing, to check if you locked the car. You're not missing anything, it literally has no worthwhile function.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 16:52   #1961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
The app is good for one thing, to check if you locked the car. You're not missing anything, it literally has no worthwhile function.
Remote start/geofencing? Remote start can be useful.

Plus auto crash alert is there as well, I think?
Old 11th June 2023, 08:13   #1962
BHPian

Quote:
it literally has no worthwhile function.
I understand it’s subjective, but i find Kia Connect very useful. Quoting my experience from my ownership review below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
The connected car experience is worth it, and I'll be renewing the subscription. There have been instances where it fails to communicate with the car. I think that happens when there is a network issue or when the car has been inactive for a few days. One thing I frequently use is the remote start. It allows me to cool down the car before getting in when it's parked under the sun. As someone who enjoys tracking and analyzing data, I find it interesting to review the trip history, average speed, distance covered, etc. The ability to check the car's lock status through the app is very helpful for me, as I often have doubts about whether I locked the car or not. The app also allows sending a destination from the phone to the car, and I use that as well. Then there's the alerts feature, but I haven’t used it and probably will never use it.
Quote:
The ability to share the car through Kia Connect allows my wife to control the car from her phone. This feature is especially useful when we're apart and she needs to access the car without having the physical key.
robincsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 10:37   #1963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I understand it’s subjective, but i find Kia Connect very useful. Quoting my experience from my ownership review below.
The app works only with certain phones, otherwise it's just useful for remote start and checking if the doors are locked. Remote start isn't useful if you can't switch on the AC.

Kia did send a mail recently , for around 35k you can upgrade to the 10.25 inch display, not sure if the Sonet is part of the package.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf kia utility .pdf (1.62 MB, 228 views)
File Type: pdf kia safety.pdf (2.94 MB, 305 views)
File Type: pdf kia style.pdf (1.82 MB, 483 views)
Old 11th June 2023, 11:22   #1964
BHPian

Quote:
The app works only with certain phones, otherwise it's just useful for remote start and checking if the doors are locked. Remote start isn't useful if you can't switch on the AC.
I believe the app works with all the android and iOS phones. I can’t think of a reason why it cannot as it’s a very simple app. I would like to know on which device it’s not working. I’m using on my iPhone.

The remote start allows setting the temperature and even the defoggers. The status screen is comprehensive and it shows the status of doors, tailgate, hood, fuel status etc. There’s also option to share the car’s live location, live car tracking, address book and option to send location to car. The trip history is also very detailed, along with the vehicle health and maintenance alerts. There are also alerts when the doors, or tailgate isn’t locked. It’s really feature-rich, unlike many other connected car services.

Attaching a few screenshots below.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_1359.png  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_1358.png  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_1363.png  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_1362.png  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_1360.png  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_1364.png  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_1365.png  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_1366.png  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_1367.png  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th June 2023 at 12:35. Reason: Edited
robincsamuel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 12:19   #1965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I believe the app works with all the android and iOS phones. I can’t think of a reason why it cannot as it’s a very simple app. I would like to know on which device it’s not working. I’m using on my iPhone.

The remote start allows setting the temperature and even the defoggers. The status screen is comprehensive and it shows the status of doors, tailgate, hood, fuel status etc. There’s also option to share the car’s live location, live car tracking, address book and option to send location to car. The trip history is also very detailed, along with the vehicle health and maintenance alerts. There’s are also alerts when the doors, or tailgate isn’t locked. It’s really feature-rich, unlike many other connected car services.

Attaching a few screenshots below.
I have a redmi note 9 pro max, the only function that works is remote start. A handful of phones work with the app, something kia doesn't disclose until you own the car and realise this is another marketing scam. Iphone is generally supported by most oem systems. The idiots at the Kia Showroom said I can use the phone once I'm inside to set the temperature, yup, that's usually how you end up claiming insurance.

I'm really not into the data the app provides, there's no use in starting the engine and burning fuel unless you can chill the cabin before getting in on a hot day.

Most Viewed