Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2022, 20:34   #1471
BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Were you driving down a hill/slope? Smoking brakes can be due to wrong gears and unnecessary braking! Overheated braking components!
No, we were gaining elevation going from Mumbai to Pune. The traffic jam was pretty intense given the expressway sees heavy haulers along with cars.

Attaching map to give you a perspective.

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-6b267287f64e4043b7de0b8327ad96ad.jpeg

The yellow mark is where this happened.

I too thought this might be from the brakes but it was coming from the belly of the car and possibly from near the engine.

I’m concerned about being stuck in such a situation, that too in traffic where - there is not much of a wiggle room to switch lanes because everyone wants to overtake and move ahead and keep closing the gaps between their car and the one in the front.
Old 2nd May 2022, 21:14   #1472
sbm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleflick View Post
While coming from Mumbai to Pune yesterday, I was behind a Harrier on the Khandala ghat of the expressway. The traffic was dense and we were moving at speeds under 15km/hr. The Harrier in front of my car suddenly started releasing white smoke. It was bumper to bumper traffic and hence I thought it was coming from the silencer at first. After a roadside marshal came by on his scooter to alert the driver in front, I started making space between my car and the Harrier in front and realized the smoke was coming from below the car. Any one faced such an issue in ghat traffic? Was this because of the clutch being worked too much in the traffic?
I can say with confidence that this must be clutch burning issue. I have read lots of articles and posts of users facing this problem in manual Harrier. While I have faced clutch smoke in my petrol Baleno too but it was only once in last 7yrs and that too when I accidentally revved the engine too hard in reverse while climbing an incline, it seems that heavy torque of the Fiat2.0 makes it pretty easy to burn the clutch.
sbm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 12:33   #1473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subuiyer View Post
The need: > avg ride quality for long drives (err, 6+ yrs of Duster AWD – need I say more?)
Congratulations on your new car. I read through your post, but I couldn't find your thoughts on Harrier's ride comfort compared to your Duster.

It would be really interesting to know how magic carpet ride of Duster compares against Harrier directly from owner who has owned both. What is your take on low speed ride vs high speed ride? How does Harrier tackle Mumbai roads (uneven surface, rumblers, bridge joints, paver blocks, etc.)?
varunswnt is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 13:09   #1474
BHPian

Hello Fellow Team-BHPians,

Yesterday I took the delivery of my beloved TATA HARRIER XZA+ DARK EDITION, surprisingly the dealer and TATA didn’t let it be so beloved.

Had informed the dealer 2 days prior to taking delivery to get the car ready for Tuesday,3rd May 2022.

Reached the dealership by 3 pm and boy oh boy was I shocked. At first, saw my car inside the showroom looking ready for delivery from afar, however as I got closer the car turned out to be dirty, it wasn’t washed properly, the interior was dirty with dust and mud on the floor and dashboard as well as all the driver touchpoints were covered in dust.

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-img_5329.jpg

It still had the bonnet and window frame edge misalignment.

P.S-If you have read one of my previous posts, I shared the pictures of issues the car had with its part assembly, the bonnet was improperly aligned and the windows pasting had issues.

All of these issues were deemed to be solved by the dealer as they confirmed the same on Whatsapp, also when I texted them a day before delivery about the status of the issue they said it was "all set".I was even glad they fixed it at least that time.

BUT upon checking the car at the showroom, ALL the issues were still present, and LITERALLY, nothing was done to solve them. Except for the SA claiming they did make efforts to solve the bonnet issue which was certainly not evident.

Imagine how dishearted one would feel after they have made the complete payment and still be "greeted" with these things. On top of that, the car is dirty too!.

I spoke with the Sales Advisor and she simply said it's not in our hands, it's TATA's fault; if it is TATA's Fault why did she even say it had been set. Had she not said that in-text I would have asked for compensation the first day I did PDI.

The sole reason I didn’t do that was that the Sales Advisor said they can fix the issue and there would be no issues.

ALSO cherry on top was that my car had already run 114KM!. SA said the car had come to the showroom from the SERVICE CENTER but the (CEL)Check Engine Light had popped up again, so they sent it back to the service center making it 114km.

I wouldn’t have accepted the car as advised by fellow Team-BHPIANs but did solely because if there was any problem with the car the dealer would solve it in priority because the location at which they have their STOCKYARD and SERVICE center belongs to us, so we already have a business relationship with the dealer's owner. Even after such a bond, I am welcomed with these issues, imagine what the normal customer would face, or the opposite they could’ve taken me for granted but this is being the least possible phenomenon.

Back to my POV from the showroom, the FULL CAR was DIRTY INSIDE OUT. Only looked like basic water wash has been carried out and grease and smudges hadn’t even been polished out.

I expressed my concern to the SA and she gave some lame excuse that they couldn’t get it ready because there is a lot of dust WITHIN THE SHOWROOM. (THE SHOWROOM IS LITERALLY COVERED WITH GLASS!). I even started losing my cool over all this, and had a small chitchat with the SA and also told her after paying 25L how can someone expect this I should have gone for JEEP COMPASS!, and guess what she told, "you won’t get safety".How ignorant and uninformed of her, Jeep Compass has 5 stars SAFETY rather it’s Harrier which has not gotten a safety rating as yet.

Sales experience felt like I was out there taking delivery of a TATA TRUCK rather than HARRIER.

They made me and my family wait for an hour in which they were hurriedly cleaning the car in and out with some dirty cloth before having the photo session and delivering me the car, with of course some of the dirt still lying around the automatic gear lever and some parts of the car having smudges and grease.

Will get PPF done next week so that the Harrier can come back to its element which the dealer could never provide. You expect a brand new car to be shining from everywhere but this wasn’t the case this time.

For reference took delivery of Hyundai Alcazar last July and it was shining from everywhere along with them delivering me the car within half an hour. I was satisfied with the experience and it's also something one deserves after paying such an amount at least.

The Harrier overall is a good product except for the problems I faced with the dealer and some assembly issues which if ignored make Harrier a great buy. But after paying 25 BIG ONES no one would like to ignore such issues and would certainly expect a premium and happy buying experience.

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-img_5382.jpg
P.S-The above image can be misleading,in reality if you inspect the car you would find out that it had not been cleaned properly.

This is my experience of the delivery of my TATA HARRIER XZA+ DARK EDITION.

Cheers,
bil.007
bil.007 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 19:39   #1475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleflick View Post
... The Harrier in front of my car suddenly started releasing white smoke. It was bumper to bumper traffic and hence I thought it was coming from the silencer at first. ... and realized the smoke was coming from below the car. Any one faced such an issue in ghat traffic? Was this because of the clutch being worked too much in the traffic?
Clutch burnt.

Especially on the inclines and stop and go traffic, a novice driver is likely to burn the clutch than brakes.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 23:12   #1476
BHPian

So finally, the Harrier facelift and a major one at that is coming in 2023. Read the full article here:
https://motoroctane.com/news/237413-...celift-details

With the mentioned changes, I think the Harrier will be very hard to ignore in the premium crossover segment.

Having said that, I would be happier if Tata had promised to improvise their after-sales and service experience too in the above article, if they fix this one area, then I am sure their sales charts are going to be set on fire!
Old 5th May 2022, 11:37   #1477
BHPian

Hi,

Need some advice here.
I drive Harrier XZA with 8000+kms on the ODO.

Of late, I have been experiencing a strange phenomenon while driving.
I notice the Engine RMP shoots up to a tune of +300 rpm to +500 rpm and falls back to nominal value while shifting gears automatically during acceleration. I changed the modes to see if the behavior changes, but was the same.

I'm aware that this Torque converter has a slight rubber-band effect in the initial gears, which I'm used to, but the recent experiences were a bit more prominent in nature.
However, self or the family did not notice any sort of jerk during shifts, but my foot is sensitive enough to differentiate the behavior. There is clear sluggishness in the shift.

I do not see any fault indicators in the MID.
Is there a cause for concern ? or a premature ageing of clutch ?
If yes, let me know if I need to perform any specific diagnostics before reporting it to Service center ?

Cheers !!

Last edited by Aditya : 5th May 2022 at 20:59. Reason: Typo
Old 8th May 2022, 01:37   #1478
BHPian

Been 9 months since I took the delivery of my red Harrier XZA+ DT. Car is awesome, looks fantastic, Powerful engine and good suspension for both city and highway drives.
My only issues with the car are torque steer and acceleration lag even in the sports mode. Lag is so much that I second doubt before high speed lane changing. Torque steer takes away all the “premiumness” of the car. Honestly I had a better close control with my CVT Honda city than harrier due to the significant lag
Old 8th May 2022, 11:18   #1479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousnewbie View Post
Been 9 months since I took the delivery of my red Harrier XZA+ DT. Car is awesome, looks fantastic, Powerful engine and good suspension for both city and highway drives.
My only issues with the car are torque steer and acceleration lag even in the sports mode. Lag is so much that I second doubt before high speed lane changing. Torque steer takes away all the “premiumness” of the car. Honestly I had a better close control with my CVT Honda city than harrier due to the significant lag
I see an open space for overtaking and by the time the car picks up the pace that space is gone. This lag irritates me more than anything. Do you guys think that this issue is specific to my car ?
I have been driving since a very young (not proud of it but it is what it is) age and that makes me value “close control” a lot and with this lag it’s not possible. Drove my friend’s superb and there was no lag. It was like driving a manual without the hassle of changing gears and clutch

Last edited by curiousnewbie : 8th May 2022 at 11:19. Reason: Typos
Old 8th May 2022, 13:27   #1480
BHPian

Hello Team-BHPians!,

Recently took delivery of my Harrier XZA+ DE.

Almost everything seems to be okay with the Harrier except for a few things I'd like to address and get suggestions on:

1. Horn of the Harrier is poor in terms of the tone, I prefer wind tone horns, especially the Octavia type, current horn really doesn't suit the Harrier at all. How could TML get this wrong!. Spoke to my SA he said please don't install any horn as it would void the warranty even if no wires are cut, Is this the case or can I go ahead?. Also do suggest some great wind tone horns.

2. The Headlamps aren’t adequate enough, the hid, high beam and fog lamps aren’t as powerful as to my liking. Also, the low beam HID has a yellowish effect to it. Although it is white. Wish to change this too but again the warranty issue. Please suggest some great options which retain the originality and don't look cheap and tacky. I'm jealous of the XUV700 owners as they get great headlights.

3. Hard steering of the Harrier is a fact, but would it just lighten up a bit the more I drive? I mean it's hydraulic anyway so some scope?. Also, it makes some noise when I turn the steering completely left or right, It is a characteristic of a hydraulic system but was never present on my Swift 2010.

4. The brakes seem to be loose and the Harrier has a lot of nose dives when I hit the brakes, I didn’t find the brakes very confident and inspiring as claimed by reviewers. Spoke to the SA about this and he said there should not be any issue with the brakes, he told me to sudden brake 8-10 times and accelerate again and brake,this would help the brakes set in its place. Have tried this but not at high speeds or multiple times. Any views on this?

5. Touchscreen system doesn't respond to touches, especially in Apple Carplay, and tends to select the icon above the one I place my finger on, I think due to the matt display it might be having this problem, would installing a gloss screen protector help resolve this issue?

That’s all I have come across as of now,
Any inputs would be highly appreciated.

Cheers,
bil.007
bil.007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2022, 19:17   #1481

Hi everyone, test drove the Harrier automatic today. I liked the experience overall, car was responsive especially in Sports mode. Gears seem to shift smoothly, no jerks, although I could feel the gears shifting underneath. In manual mode, although it was easy to shift up and down, the current gear we are on takes a while to display in the dashboard and that felt unsettling. I wish this feedback was instantaneous. Another thing that I was a bit disappointed with is the left armrest. I wished it was slideable...had a tough time placing my elbow on it, found it hard to reach (I drive a Vento, and the armrest is so comfortable and easy to access). Is this nornal in SUVs?
Old 9th May 2022, 21:25   #1482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil.007 View Post
Hello Team-BHPians!,

Recently took delivery of my Harrier XZA+ DE.

Almost everything seems to be okay with the Harrier except for a few things I'd like to address and get suggestions on:

1. Horn of the Harrier is poor in terms of the tone, I prefer wind tone horns, especially the Octavia type, current horn really doesn't suit the Harrier at all. Also do suggest some great wind tone horns.

2. The Headlamps aren’t adequate enough, the hid, high beam and fog lamps aren’t as powerful as to my liking. Also, the low beam HID has a yellowish effect to it. Although it is white. Wish to change this too but again the warranty issue. Please suggest some great options which retain the originality and don't look cheap and tacky.

3. Hard steering of the Harrier is a fact, but would it just lighten up a bit the more I drive? I mean it's hydraulic anyway so some scope?.

4. The brakes seem to be loose and the Harrier has a lot of nose dives when I hit the brakes, I didn’t find the brakes very confident and inspiring as claimed by reviewers. Any views on this?

5. Touchscreen system doesn't respond to touches, especially in Apple Carplay, and tends to select the icon above the one I place my finger on, I think due to the matt display it might be having this problem, would installing a gloss screen protector help resolve this issue?

Cheers,
bil.007
Hi bil.007,

1. The stock horn is poor indeed. TASS in Mangalore were co-operative and they themselves installed this for me. I sourced the horn from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Review: Brilliant. Just what I was looking for.

2. Headlamps are equally bad. To retain the stock look, all I could do was change the High Beams to better quality - Osram Nightbreakers. Got these and in use since a year.

Review: The throw (in high beams- and I use it very sparsely) is way better than stock.

Also, I've changed the foglamps. The stock bulbs were cheap and the gold light really dulled the looks. I sourced these from Amazon - OSRAM H8/H11/ H16 46211CW Headlamp integrated driver (Set of 2, 25W 12V)

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Review: Foglamp upgrade has been a game changer. Upped the looks and use case too. Costed around INR 5K.

3. I don't think anything can be done to the steering and even if they did, I would not trust TASS to rip open the steering assembly. I drove a Punto previously and the hard steering during parking speeds in Harrier - just like the hydraulic setup in Punto is manageable for me. In fact I don't mind it anymore. I'd definitely want Tata to work on the steering for feedback while doing triple digit speeds. It is too soft for my liking.

4. 15 months/20k KMS with the Harrier now - no issues with braking. Please get this checked ASAP at TASS.

5. The touchscreen is bad to be honest (reminds me of the 1st gen tablets with huge bezels. Mine works alright, does not hang.

Cheers,
Rufus
The Riddler is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 00:02   #1483

Hey guys, not sure if this is the right thread for it or not but need some advice regarding my Harrier XZA booking. I had booked my Calypso Red XZA on 6th April and at the time of booking dealership had quoted delivery time to be around 30 days +/- a few days, which is acceptable. But now its being over 30 days - 33 to be precise and till date the sales guy has no idea on when to expect allotment of vehicle. I call them up and they say they are expecting allotment anyway and the icing on the cake is that according to them it will take 15-20 days for vehicle to reach here post allotment from factory. The dealership is in Dibrugarh, Assam.

I tweeted to the Tata Motors twitter handle to get a reply that they operate on FIFO and that the dealership was the best source to stay updated on my tentative dates - seemed like an automated reply.

Anyone has any clue who I can email or contact to fasten up the process or atleast get a proper timeline. I had already gotten a loan sanctioned as the dealership quoted a 30 day timeline but by now even the sanction letter has expired, which isn't that big of a deal but these small things end up being annoying and I am tired of calling them everyday now.

Any advice or help is much appreciated.

Note: Please move to relevant thread if this is not the right one
Old 10th May 2022, 00:47   #1484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
Hi bil.007,

1. The stock horn is poor indeed. TASS in Mangalore were co-operative and they themselves installed this for me. I sourced the horn from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Review: Brilliant. Just what I was looking for.

2. Headlamps are equally bad. To retain the stock look, all I could do was change the High Beams to better quality - Osram Nightbreakers. Got these and in use since a year.

Review: The throw (in high beams- and I use it very sparsely) is way better than stock.

Also, I've changed the foglamps. The stock bulbs were cheap and the gold light really dulled the looks. I sourced these from Amazon - OSRAM H8/H11/ H16 46211CW Headlamp integrated driver (Set of 2, 25W 12V)

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Review: Foglamp upgrade has been a game changer. Upped the looks and use case too. Costed around INR 5K.

3. I don't think anything can be done to the steering and even if they did, I would not trust TASS to rip open the steering assembly. I drove a Punto previously and the hard steering during parking speeds in Harrier - just like the hydraulic setup in Punto is manageable for me. In fact I don't mind it anymore. I'd definitely want Tata to work on the steering for feedback while doing triple digit speeds. It is too soft for my liking.

4. 15 months/20k KMS with the Harrier now - no issues with braking. Please get this checked ASAP at TASS.

5. The touchscreen is bad to be honest (reminds me of the 1st gen tablets with huge bezels. Mine works alright, does not hang.

Cheers,
Rufus

Appreciate your input, will install the same horn and foglamp LEDs in my Harrier as well, found it to be great at least according to online reviews.

Also, could you share the link for the Osram NightBreakers High Beam, would like to check it out. Does the cornering function still work with this?

And did you get all these additionals installed from the TATA SERVICE CENTRE?, Did it void the warranty?.

Would request you to share pictures of these lights in action at nighttime.

Cheers,
bil.007
Old 14th May 2022, 23:06   #1485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil.007 View Post
Appreciate your input, will install the same horn and foglamp LEDs in my Harrier as well, found it to be great at least according to online reviews.

Also, could you share the link for the Osram NightBreakers High Beam, would like to check it out. Does the cornering function still work with this?
Using led for reflector setup is a big no. It’s unethical and annoying for oncoming traffic. Harrier has H7 55w halogen for high beam which could be replaced with either Philips Racing vision or Osram(Preferred) night breaker :

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07C7SNVJF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MFRV6R7AEJW2740JG7A7

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01LLKFW8C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_R5E6N9Z9YCPEZ3H0PYFN

HID is projector and uses D5S 25W xenon HID which could be upgraded to LED

https://autobahntechnologies.com/pro...v=c86ee0d9d7ed

Fog light is again H16 19w halogen reflector and installing a LED light here won’t be suggested for reasons mentioned earlier. Either go for projector fog lamp setup or stick with the stock. It’s yellow for a reason !!

Last edited by curiousnewbie : 14th May 2022 at 23:09. Reason: Typos
curiousnewbie is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks