Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2021, 22:38   #1291
BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rave20 View Post
Took test drive of Harrier again, today it was a brand new car with just 600km on the odo...

Still didn't like the ride, there was too much body roll and tossing around in the 2nd row...

Harrier is out of contention now. Zeroed in on Hyundai Tucson (GLS 4WD)
That's odd. I have travelled extensively in the Harrier and the other car we have is the City.. We like the rear seats of the Harrier and body roll is minimal.

If both the cars you tested were from the showroom, it is possible that the tire pressure was abnormally high. It will explain the tossing around that you mentioned. However, I do agree that the suspension is on stiffer side and so at low speeds on bad roads you do get tossed around a bit.

Congrats on the Tucson. It is better than the Harrier in every way but also quite a lot expensive.

If you wish, try to get another test drive and get the tire pressure checked as well.
Though if you have the moolah, Tucson should be much better, why even bother in the Harrier segment!
Candy$Cars is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 21:16   #1292

I have a August 2020 Manufactured XZA+ dark edition harrier . Had a query , the latest batches of safari have AQI monitoring , wireless android auto/apple car play and IRA . Is it possible for any of these features be added when they update the software during service ?
Old 18th November 2021, 21:33   #1293
BHPian

Completed 15000 kms yesterday a week before completing a year of ownership. Satisfied and happy with the purchase till now.
Will be going to get it serviced most probably tomorrow. Will share the first paid service experience with the fellow bhpians soon.

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-69a7e760453b4c76babee94de0e3f1ed.jpeg
Highh5 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 14:46   #1294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc(tor)que View Post
I have a August 2020 Manufactured XZA+ dark edition harrier . Had a query , the latest batches of safari have AQI monitoring , wireless android auto/apple car play and IRA . Is it possible for any of these features be added when they update the software during service ?
Hi - I have a Sept 21 XZA+ Dark Edition and asked the same query to my showroom looking at the Safari Gold Edition features. Infact I even requested that just fit Ventilated Seats and rest I'll live with but the showroom responded that its all factory fittings (Air Purifier, Wireless charging etc.) and cannot be added as accessories. I still think that these might come up in near future and open to any other insights on this.
Old 19th November 2021, 17:48   #1295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis_500 View Post
Hi - Infact I even requested that just fit Ventilated Seats and rest I'll live with but the showroom responded that its all factory fittings (Air Purifier, Wireless charging etc.) and cannot be added as accessories. I still think that these might come up in near future and open to any other insights on this.
Doable but it'll be expensive. Also who will do it? 9 times out of 10 the authorised service stations feel scared to do a "variant" upgrade as they are unsure of what they should do.
All the above can be done by changing the existing components to the new one's, which obviously will be costly, BUT alongwith that, the BCM(Body Control Module), also needs to be re-flashed to accomodate the functionality of the new features.

And herein lies the crunch. Who will do it? Because the average authorised service centre, be it of any manufacturer in India, can at best use diagnostic tools to read fault codes and wipe them off after the glitches have been fixed. But reflashing the existing BCM and writing a few lines of code to accomodate the extra features? I doubt the regular Joe at your neighbourhood service station will be able to do it.
Old 19th November 2021, 19:28   #1296
BHPian

Harrier is a beautiful car. Love it on road. Seats look great. Space is excellent. Rest of the interior is decent.

Steering wheel and Screen needs some work. Its the best VFM car out there in that segment for me specially if you want a Diesel Automatic.

I compromised on space(not a deal breaker for me) and automatic to get Limited Compass which cost me 2.5-3l more. Jeep Compass automatic Petrol was the only one affordable for me. Diesel automatic falls in a completely different segment, thanks to the mandatory 4 X 4. To me Diesel Longitude Jeep is the best Manual VFM. I got a Limited as I wanted a sunroof to increase the sense of space. All I can say is I love driving the manual for now over automatic. I avoid using this one for daily heavy traffic commute which is where the manual might cause concerns.
Old 20th November 2021, 21:45   #1297
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi - I am in market looking for a new car. While I never contemplated Harrier, I went to the showroom today to check it out and took a test drive.. Quite a sweet set up and I think I may end up buying it.

Just wanted to check if anyone else is looking to buy in November/December and have heard of any deals? It's a seller's market. hence, not sure, if there are any deals to begin with.

I am looking at XZA+ and there are no discounts offered and is being offered for INR 25.58 for single tone.

Lastly, I just wanted to check if there is any merit to consider Safari over Harrier solely from tech-specs? I won't need a 7 seven seater as we have a small family and may prefer Harrier as it offers tone of boot space over the 3rd row..
Old 20th November 2021, 23:38   #1298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowitbetter View Post

Just wanted to check if anyone else is looking to buy in November/December and have heard of any deals? It's a seller's market. hence, not sure, if there are any deals to begin with.

I am looking at XZA+ and there are no discounts offered and is being offered for INR 25.58 for single tone.

Lastly, I just wanted to check if there is any merit to consider Safari over Harrier solely from tech-specs? I won't need a 7 seven seater as we have a small family and may prefer Harrier as it offers tone of boot space over the 3rd row..
I'm also looking at Harrier xza+ red DT and have paid the booking amount also in the first week of November. I was given an expected time of December end for delivery. I was offered about 30k off on insurance.

I checked out Safari in the showroom, but ruled it out because of minimal boot space with the 3rd row seats up. And I think the major differences between the two are the electronic parking brake and rear disc brakes. Gold edition is a bigger step up in terms of features but it's coming up to 3 lacs more. I don't like the parking brake in harrier. Odd looking thing.

I'm in a dilemma now on whether to proceed with the purchase or wait for an year and go for the xuv700 or just buy a lower segment car altogether. I'm happy with 4 wheels and a roof at present but wife has the upgrade itch.
professor.march is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 13:32   #1299

Hi everybody,

wanted to share my experience of my drive to Trivandrum- Bangalore 2 weeks back on my Harrier XZA+.

We had to go to Bangalore for my daughters college admission and settling down her at the hostel etc and this was a 1 week trip. We started on a Friday morning at 11:30 from Trivandrum and it took 3 hrs to cross Nagercoil and it was horrible to say. After that it was all smooth drive and we just loved the drive. We took a break at Karur and checked into a hotel by 7 PM.

The drive during this stretch was mostly around 100 to 110 and when my wife was driving she was doing 120 mostly. The road was real good and so was the drive. Never felt any stress at all.

We started from Karur the next day at 8 am and reached inside Bangalore city by 12. The total drive time was showing as 11:20 hrs

We spent 3 days in Bangalore city and the drive around was hell with the crazy traffic but the automatic helped us without much stress.

On the return we took the Ekm route and started at 9:30 from Bangalore/whitefield and reached Ekm/Kakkanad by 6:15 with 2 breaks in between. Till Coimbatore the ride was smooth and fast but once we entered Kerala it was mostly 80.

All in all a great drive and due to the Harrier we enjoyed it a lot

Some points I wanted to stress

1. We had heavy luggage to take with my daughters 2 big suitcases, and then 3 of our luggage for 5 days etc but it all went into the boot without any trouble. The cubby space below the boot lid was also helpful in storing shoes and slippers and small packages

2. The auto is a pure joy to drive. It just cruises along and even when you want to overtake etc just a slight push to the peddle makes it done smoothly. Its as if it reads our mind and does it without hassles. I did not need to use the sports mode at all.

3. The car gives you a feeling of total confidence. Never did we feel the need to slow down. During our Madurai stretch after 6:00 pm it was raining heavily for 30 to 40 minutes but even then we could drive at 100 plus without any worries. I used wet mode then.

4. I got an overall mileage of 13.5 which included the long drive, the bangalore city drive etc. I guess the speed of 100 -120 may not be an economical one for sure.

All in all a happy and convinced owner of Harrier auto for sure

Last edited by Aditya : 26th November 2021 at 20:11. Reason: Mention of high speed driving
alextekno is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 18:40   #1300
BHPian

I have brought the XZA+ #Dark Edition Harrier two weeks ago. I was upgrading from Ecosport Sports Variant. I had shortlisted a few cars before buying Harrier.

Requirement:
  • Budget > 20L but < 30L. With an exception of a few lakhs, if the vehicle is too good.
  • Diesel
  • Automatic. DSG/DCT or a TC. No AMT's
  • Tyre profile: Thicker sidewalls. My Ecosport had 17" and I did not like it.
  • Panoramic Moonroof. We don't use (open) the sunroof. Only the blinds get opened. But, having that moon-roof was something we wanted.
  1. Innova: Very reliable and prompt TD & decent explanation of the product. Dropped it as my family thought it gave them the feeling of a Cab (In their defense, most of their office cabs are innovas). Also, I did not need a 7 seater.
  2. Kia/Hyundai: Dropped because of safety rating.
  3. Thar: Lack of boot space and slightly difficult access to the second row of seats.
  4. Tuscon: This was second-in-line to harrier. It's a feature-loaded to my expectations. But, the second-row seat's window lining was too low for back seat passengers. My family weighed in here. Also, with the new Tuscon in line, I did not want to have that buyer's remorse.
  5. XUV700: Pretty well-packaged car. It has everything that I was looking for plus loads of features which I had not asked for. I was also ok with dealing with XUV's electronic niggles. When I test drove the car, it did not connect to me. The steering feedback was not good (Our previous & current owned cars are: Punto, Duster, Polo GT, Ecosport). Car connecting to us was very important.
  6. Harrier: We knew about the niggles even before I entered the showroom. I made my family understand these things. But, the car over-performed to what we expected from the TD. Sorted ride quality and steering feedback was exactly as to what I wanted. Loaaads of boot space. Good build quality. All basic features present. The driving modes. The Sport mode turns this vehicle into another animal.

Buying experience: Key Motors Mysore road screwed my booking. I escalated it to Key Motors Management and Tata Motors. Within the first hour of my complaint, I was called by both TaMo and Key Motors. I shifted my delivery process to JP Nagar Branch. From here on, it was a very smooth process.

I have driven around 1300Kms in these past two weeks.

The car had a driver's door latch issue. I had raised this issue with TaMo. The regional head for Bangalore called me and said he will take care of it within the next two days. They replaced it under warranty.

After Sales Experience: It has been good up until now. On speaking with the service manager (SM) about the ongoing Tata's service negative thoughts, he does accept this. He says, Tata service centers were mostly used in handling price-sensitive customers such as Indica's. The service technicians are also used to fixing things the jugad way as the owners wanted a quick fix. But, for past few years, Tata has worked a lot on handling non-commercial customers. For Harrier & Safari, they have a dedicated team and everything is reported back to TaMo. The higher up's in-service till the service advisors have been trained on handling customer complaints. But, this has to flow to the technician level. He said it will take some time but he said TaMo is very serious about customer complaints. If not resolved, it quickly gets escalated to higher up's in the dealer management.

To sum up.
I am happy with my purchase. I know it's not Toyota's reliability, but you pay Toyota's price for that reliability (e.g., 52 L OTR in Bangalore for Fortuner).

Will I suggest Tata Harrier to someone ?.
Yes. But, only to a car-guy. He for sure would know what's going right and wrong with his car to get it fixed. For any other person who needs a car for commute between A-to-B, I would suggest Tuscon. It's a Fill-Shut-Forget class. It's a tad bit expensive to Harrier (approx : 5.5L OTR Bangalore).

Last edited by shashi792 : 24th November 2021 at 18:55.
shashi792 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 19:29   #1301
BHPian

Hi all!

Not sure if this has been discussed here already, but want to know if the rear blower speed can be adjusted anyhow?
I currently find the cooling little insufficient at the rear.
Worrying about how it will perform in scorching summers.

Harrier XT+ manual.
Old 25th November 2021, 11:44   #1302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Hi all!

Not sure if this has been discussed here already, but want to know if the rear blower speed can be adjusted anyhow?
I currently find the cooling little insufficient at the rear.
Worrying about how it will perform in scorching summers.

Harrier XT+ manual.
Rear blower speed can not be controlled independently, indeed the flow is bit lesser as compared to front blowers, only way is to speed up front blower a bit to increase the flow to the rear.

Also, the rear blowers throw only cold air, so in winters if using the heater, you need to manually shut the rear blower vents so as to stop the cold air flow to the rear passengers
beast_within is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 16:05   #1303
BHPian

How are the plastics holding up? I was very disappointed with the buttons and the interior cabin quality degrading. Is it as good as new? For example my 8 year old polo still looks new from within.
abhatt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 19:20   #1304
BHPian

Before I booked Harrier, salesman promised to deliver car as soon as we make payment. That they had one ready in the stockyard. Once we booked it, the word changed to end of December. It's a different thing that we we were okay with that particular time. We were even taken to the stockyard and shown the car. I saw 5-6 Harriers as well gathering dust.

I'm just curious if there's a cooling off period between when the cars arrive at the dealer to when they're delivered especially in current times where the car companies can't make them fast enough. The way the cars were parked there to the amount of dust on them makes me believe that they would have been there for at least a couple of weeks. I couldn't get a breakdown on the variants though.
professor.march is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 17:04   #1305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
How are the plastics holding up? I was very disappointed with the buttons and the interior cabin quality degrading. Is it as good as new? For example my 8 year old polo still looks new from within.
I own a XZA since Dec 20 and I find the Plastics and Buttons do hold up firmly. I feel upon depressing the buttons, there is a latency in realization of the desired function, especially the steering controls. However, it is livable.
Rolling_Stock is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks