Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2021, 14:10   #856
BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by irdevanand View Post
One more thing about Harrier boot vs Safari boot is the movement of luggage in safari. Without that top shelf i think it will be a bit of a hassle when things move around. See picture below. But till Harrier gets that Adventure Persona Edition, iRA app, Rear Disc, Electronic Parking brake i think the general public will go in favour of Safari. Give all this in Harrier for a price hike, i think more people will pick Harrier. It is a well rounded car.
Yes, agree. Adventure personal looks really good. I actually went to Tata showroom for it but then saw the Harrier too alongside. Considering it all for my needs, I ended up booking the Harrier. :-) Expecting delivery in a month or so, if covid permits.
Old 18th April 2021, 21:27   #857
BHPian

@Dieseltuned & @SSM2021,

It is my sincere recommendation to you that please steer away from Tata Harrier at this stage. If by reading comments of members of this and other forums, doubts are cropping up in your mind, then don't buy it. God forbid, but if u face similar problem after purchasing Harrier, then you will repent it like hell.
I am saying all this after purchasing Harrier XZ+ manual transmission. In one month, I have clocked 4,500 km. There is absolutely no mechanical problem till date. I have faced minor niggles with ICE only.
However, do I feel that I am sitting and driving a car which costs Rs 24 lakhs on road? Answer is no. There is no premium feel. There are so many rough edges and QC issues regarding fit & finish. Driving seat ergonomics are pretty bad. How much extra attention or money Tata will need to solve these issues? Very less. But is tata doing it? Answer is no.
In last 1 month, my vehicle underwent body shop work 2 times. And who was responsible for it? Both times Tata authorized dealer and service centre. So why should I drive carefully and take good care of my car and avoid scratches? Because it is the prerogative of Tata dealers. The Dent of driver door with paint damage needing dent repair and repainting of whole door of a brand new vehicle on the day delivery, is very "small thing (Chotisi Baat), for the sales manager (Keshva Motors, Mumbai). These same sales manager does not have any shame for not returning excess Rs 3 Lacs for more than 1 month after delivery of car. And he stops to attend your call also, because you are calling him demanding your balance money.
My advice to you is, if you want a good car in the same budget, go for MG Hector. It's not without issues, but at least they will listen to you sympathetically and high chances that it will be solved.
And if you can stretch your budget, go for Jeep Compass. That is the real car one should target with such requirements.
Then who should buy Harrier? Those who need looks, extra space but can manage with crude ownership experience and can risk substandard quality of the car as well as after sales service. And all this so that u can save few extra bucks.
I am proud of Tata. I appreciate whatever they have done for India overall. But that does not mean I want to encourage them to become best car manufacturer by providing substandard quality. I really pray that one day Tata becomes no 1 car manufacture in India and their products become aspirational for all. But that time has not come yet. At least till not now.
Nayan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 21:53   #858
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
Then who should buy Harrier? Those who need looks, extra space but can manage with crude ownership experience and can risk substandard quality of the car as well as after sales service. And all this so that u can save few extra bucks.
You think someone who is ready to shell 22-24 lakhs on harrier can't spend a few more lakhs for getting a car that they like more (compass) than the harrier? Unlikely.

We are sorry that your brand new car had to undergo such minor issues and bodywork so early in your ownership. For what it is, Harrier definitely is a good product.

You yourselves have clocked 150 km a day for 30 days without any issues. That's what matters and the ICE hiccups aren't major, and a software update can fix it instantly.

What you have experienced is a sub-par dealership experience, which definitely cannot be generalized to Tata dealers all over the country. Every manufacturer has dealers that are shady.

I would call it bad luck in your case. But hey, don't resent your purchase. Harrier definitely is a good car to be in. Comparing MG Hector, I have seen atleast a few Hectors being towed by donkeys in front of the dealership. There is no perfect car nor perfect after sales service

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 18th April 2021 at 21:56.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 21:55   #859
BHPian

Quote:

I am saying all this after purchasing Harrier XZ+ manual transmission. In one month, I have clocked 4,500 km. There is absolutely no mechanical problem till date. I have faced minor niggles with ICE only.
However, do I feel that I am sitting and driving a car which costs Rs 24 lakhs on road? Answer is no. There is no premium feel. There are so many rough edges and QC issues regarding fit & finish. Driving seat ergonomics are pretty bad.

In last 1 month, my vehicle underwent body shop work 2 times. And who was responsible for it? Both times Tata authorized dealer and service centre. So why should I drive carefully and take good care of my car and avoid scratches? Because it is the prerogative of Tata dealers. The Dent of driver door with paint damage needing dent repair and repainting of whole door of a brand new vehicle on the day delivery, is very "small thing (Chotisi Baat), for the sales manager (Keshva Motors, Mumbai). These same sales manager does not have any shame for not returning excess Rs 3 Lacs for more than 1 month after delivery of car. And he stops to attend your call also, because you are calling him demanding your balance money.

My advice to you is, if you want a good car in the same budget, go for MG Hector. It's not without issues, but at least they will listen to you sympathetically and high chances that it will be solved.

Then who should buy Harrier? Those who need looks, extra space but can manage with crude ownership experience and can risk substandard quality of the car as well as after sales service.
I'm quite curious about your case. You mention that you bought the car and have had no mechanical problems so far. Why did you purchase the car if you didn't get a premium feeling and found the ergonomics to be bad? Surely this would've been a dealbreaker for you when finalising your purchase decision. Why not take the Hector instead? If I found a car to be of substandard quality, I certainly wouldn't have bought it.

Also, I didn't really understand your point regarding you taking care of your car. What happened to your car that it needed to go to the body shop?
nikhilthegunner is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 00:28   #860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
What you have experienced is a sub-par dealership experience, which definitely cannot be generalized to Tata dealers all over the country. Every manufacturer has dealers that are shady.

I would call it bad luck in your case. But hey, don't resent your purchase. Harrier definitely is a good car to be in. Comparing MG Hector, I have seen atleast a few Hectors being towed by donkeys in front of the dealership. There is no perfect car nor perfect after sales service
No one said only TATA has shady dealers but TATA stories are more frequently heard at least in my experience. You are right, there is no perfect car or after sales, but there is a good, ok and bad car and after sales. I definitely don't see TATA in 'good' until they fix their reliability and after-sales concerns. Ofcourse its my personal opinion since I value peace of mind more, so obviously I will also wait for more data from MG to see if they are above TATA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
My understanding is that at the end of the day in black and white any car is still just a machine and bound to fail at certain point in time. Some fail sooner some later in their life cycle.
Yes, every machine fails at some point. But the reported issues are for vehicles that haven't even completed a year or even 10000 km. There are even reports of clutch replacement within 1000 kms! Many issues are quite common and TATA hasn't been able to fix even these common ones. For me, that's a deal-breaker. So obviously why would I not buy another car which seem to last a lot longer without any headaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Coming to TATAs , I think we cannot single them about on poor QC issues, there are threads here on team-bhp which highligh issues on brand new VW Tiguans as well. Stories on cretas and seltos are also abound. I am not even looking at skoda stories and pages long XUV thread.
I never singled out TATA, I posted it here because this is a Harrier thread and Harrier was one of my options. I never even considered Mahindra and Skoda during my purchase as I heard enough of their ownership experience without even browsing online. It won't make sense for me to post Creta, Seltos niggles here and if I do that, I again will have more TATA stories if I include Altroz, Nexon issues as well. People have been discussing a lot about extended warranty and frequent niggles here and also I wanted to inform the community that the problems are not limited to the initial batch only. And just because other brands also have issues doesn't mean current and potential future owners shouldn't worry about TATA problems.

By the way, I don't usually see any comments in other manufacturer niggles' thread that says 'TATA also has issues, so everything's fine'. Every brand's issues should be discussed and bashed if the manufacture isn't able to fix it, even if it is Toyota and we have an Innova niggles thread as well.
Technic90 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 07:07   #861
Distinguished - BHPian

The problem is people form their judgements based on hearsay and internet comments.

To say Tata cars are predominantly unreliable is such a naive thing to do. I can't disagree if a tata owner here can come out and point out that their car has had a worn out clutch within 10000 km or had an engine failure before 50000 km. There are several hundreds of active teambhpians who own Tatas and you don't see niggles and reliability issues reported except for some rare examples between a few and far.

I can talk only from experience, and I strongly can say that Tatas are as reliable as any other manufacturer today.

If you cannot convince your rationale to buy a tata, please don't. That's okay. But to discourage the mass of readers, BHPians and public by stressing out hearsay stories that Tatas are unreliable, is not justifiable.

That being said, Tata's QC is far from perfect. Infact, below average. But we don't see critical components failing with Tatas. It's always some tertiary stuff going bonkers, like the ICE or MID etc. Even with my storme the remote fuel opening cap stops functioning intermittently and I have to manually unlock it. I can live with that minor inconvenience, but not with some serious mechanical issues like in the Hyundais. Fortunately I have a pleasant experience of 3,00,000 km of niggle free, reliable service from 3 Tata cars of mine since 2010. Another 2,00,000 km experience before that through 4 other Tata cars of mine were not as eventless and reliable as the latter. Shows how much Tata has moved forward with their cars.

I for one, will happily recommend Tatas to my family and friends. I helped two of my friends to buy the Nexon and they are actually impressed with the little car. Infact that's why I persuaded my brother to buy a Harrier a few months back. Hey, we have 0 issues and he is extremely happy with the car.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 19th April 2021 at 07:18.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (35) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 09:55   #862
BHPian

Hi all,

I've considered many options and have narrowed down to Harrier XZA (non plus) variant. I was taking it for granted that it being a Tata would be easy on the pocket in terms of the maintenance costs. I was startled by an Autocar study which I stumbled upon recently. As per this article, a Harrier costs 63K for regular maintenance for 60K kms! This amount becomes more worrying when compared against rivals. Hector Diesel costs 23k and Compass is just 46k! Ford Endeavour only costs 42k, which is a segment above! Is it because Harrier by default has a lesser warranty period? Any insights from the owners here?

Link to article
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...ve-suvs-418688
NotanF1driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 10:48   #863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotanF1driver View Post
Hi all,

I've considered many options and have narrowed down to Harrier XZA (non plus) variant. I was taking it for granted that it being a Tata would be easy on the pocket in terms of the maintenance costs. I was startled by an Autocar study which I stumbled upon recently. As per this article, a Harrier costs 63K for regular maintenance for 60K kms! This amount becomes more worrying when compared against rivals. Hector Diesel costs 23k and Compass is just 46k! Ford Endeavour only costs 42k, which is a segment above! Is it because Harrier by default has a lesser warranty period? Any insights from the owners here?

Link to article
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...ve-suvs-418688
Thanks for this NotanF1driver, this is a surprise. But I suspect the figures for Harrier could be a little exaggerated. I have come across some youtube owner experiences who suggested that the first service cost is in the range of 8-9K. Haven't seen anyone speak about 2nd and 3rd service costs really though.

Also what's with the half year checkup that Tata asks for for Harrier? Is it really required? The norm now a days is 1 year/ 15000 kms or 1 year/ 10000 kms.
ssm2021 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 11:18   #864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssm2021 View Post
Thanks for this NotanF1driver, this is a surprise. But I suspect the figures for Harrier could be a little exaggerated. I have come across some Youtube owner experiences who suggested that the first service cost is in the range of 8-9K. Haven't seen anyone speak about 2nd and 3rd service costs really though.
Yes! Even I have seen some youtube videos in similar lines. We have a Volkswagen at home (>6 year old), so know of the steep VAG maintenance. How can a Tata car cost more than a Karoq/ T-Roc in terms of maintenance. This seemed odd to me. Any inputs from the owners?
Old 19th April 2021, 12:06   #865
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes! Even I have seen some Youtube videos in similar lines. We have a Volkswagen at home (>6 year old), so know of the steep VAG maintenance. How can a Tata car cost more than a Karoq/ T-Roc in terms of maintenance. This seemed odd to me. Any inputs from the owners?
VAG group having expensive maintenance is a myth.

For an example, We spent 10k INR every 8000 - 10000 km for our Ciaz, while 12-14k INR every 15000 km for our Skoda Rapid for routine maintenance. Even if you factor in the more expensive spare (wear n tear) part costs that you would encounter beyond certain mileage, VAG group is just as expensive as a Maruti. Or let me rephrase it, Maruti is not as cheap as people perceive it to be.

As far as Tata service costs are concerned, I paid 10k INR for routine oil change service for my Storme Varicor 400 last time. Pretty decent 1rs per km.

Regarding the Autocar article comparing maintenance costs, the harrier has had a fan belt and tensioner replacement. That expense is not going to be a generic expense across all Harriers. Moreover, there are items exactly identical to Jeep compass as they share the same engine. What surprises me is that hector diesel also has the same engine, but the fuel filter costs less than half as much as the harrier's and Compass'.

What is evident though, is that Tata may charge more than others when it comes to labour charges.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 19th April 2021 at 12:14.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 12:12   #866
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was startled by an Autocar study which I stumbled upon recently.
You weren't the only one startled, this fellow on the internet too and gave us information as to where autocar has received the data from, from Tata itself.

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-autocar.jpg

I recommend you read all the 9 parts of this report, its the same situation in almost all segments where Tata is present.
Kosfactor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 12:18   #867
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
You think someone who is ready to shell 22-24 lakhs on harrier can't spend a few more lakhs for getting a car that they like more (compass) than the harrier? Unlikely.
+1 Prasanna

I am one of the Harrier owners who chose it after comparing it to the Jeep Compass.

Space : we are a child-free couple, so the Jeep was the best option.

Looks : Wife likes the Jeep in complete form, but she loves the rear of the Harrier (in her words elephant's backside).

Wife has a separate official car for her use - an Innova and she hates Innovas.

We bought it for ease of service centers pan India (this is our tour the India purpose-built one), easy availability of parts and above all, it's well-sorted mechanically.

Jeep is manufactured at the same plant in which the Nexon is manufactured, by the same contract employees.

Not much of a detailed reply. On a Covid bed, waiting for plasma replacement therapy.

At the end of the day, it’s our choice and try to live with that rather than reflecting yourself on every Harrier owner out there.

Last edited by GTO : 20th April 2021 at 08:15. Reason: Poorly Typed Posts
greyhound82 is offline   (4) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 19th April 2021, 12:40   #868
BHPian

Quote:
The problem is people form their judgements based on hearsay and internet comments.

If you cannot convince your rationale to buy a tata, please don't. That's okay. But to discourage the mass of readers, BHPians and public by stressing out hearsay stories that Tatas are unreliable, is not justifiable.
The problem is people get offended by the truth if it doesn't fit their narration. I have posted my opinion with evidence. It's up to you if you don't want to believe my opinion or the internet comments (with pictorial evidence unless you believe they are photoshopped) because it hurts your feelings somehow but please don't tell me I shouldn't post my observations because I have every right to. As per popular notion of TATA fanboys, people don't get paid by MG or any other brand to discourage people from buying TATA. As an owner of 2 Toyota vehicles, I have even discouraged people from buying Fortuner if ride quality is their primary criteria and they can't think of getting used to the stiff suspension setup or even Innova if long feature list is what they are looking for. Please check Fortuner thread for my comments if you want evidence. In this Harrier thread, people have also commented that Innova can not munch long miles like Harrier, that's what I call discouraging people with ridiculous opinions and no evidence.

Quote:
To say Tata cars are predominantly unreliable is such a naive thing to do. I can't disagree if a tata owner here can come out and point out that their car has had a worn out clutch within 10000 km or had an engine failure before 50000 km. There are several hundreds of active teambhpians who own Tatas and you don't see niggles and reliability issues reported except for some rare examples between a few and far.

I can talk only from experience, and I strongly can say that Tatas are as reliable as any other manufacturer today.

I for one, will happily recommend Tatas to my family and friends. I helped two of my friends to buy the Nexon and they are actually impressed with the little car. Infact that's why I persuaded my brother to buy a Harrier a few months back. Hey, we have 0 issues and he is extremely happy with the car.
Many TATA owners have already pointed out problems with their vehicles including clutch and engine ones, you need to browse the forum to read them. The screenshots I posted also shows those problems. If it was rare then those are the only problems that I can report, but if I compile the complete list of problems I found with TATA and add them here, it will look like I have gone on TATA bashing journey which I don't intend to.

I have 2 friends owning Harrier and they enjoy the ride too but they also keep going back to the service centre with engine malfunction error. So yes, I have enough data to form an opinion that TATA isn't a reliable and safe option for ME. I don't find it naive but I find the fact that you don't like people to post their observations very naive.

Quote:
I can live with that minor inconvenience, but not with some serious mechanical issues like in the Hyundais.
So it's fine you discourage mass readers against Hyundai but I shouldn't say anything against TATA? It's funny you don't find any serious issues with TATA vehicles in spite of so many reports but you believe in all the problems with Hyundai Before you call me Hyundai fanboy, I have an opinion that Hyundai's are not very reliable over 1 lakh km. I have my reasons not applicable to this thread.

Anyways, I posted my observations about Harrier when I was considering it. If my observations help someone in making a decision it's fine, it's also fine if people don't believe it. That's the whole point of this forum. Contribute without fear.
Technic90 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 12:46   #869
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic90 View Post
That's the whole point of this forum. Contribute without fear.
Oh yes. I agree to disagree with your opinions.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 13:24   #870

Hi Gurus,
Getting my Harrier XZA Camo next month.
I was thinking of going for the Stealth+ accessories pack from Tata. Is it a good bargain.

What accessories would you guys suggest without breaking the bank.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks