Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2020, 18:13   #61

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 19th August 2020 at 07:55.
Allterrain is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th August 2020, 22:32   #62
BHPian

First Aria then Hexa then the Harrier first gen and now the Harrier second gen and then the Gravitas, which is going to be as expensive as the Innova and I frankly don't know who would buy that over the Innova.

Instead of all this hardwork and chaos Tata should have made a new Safari with the Hexa automatic, Harrier interior, 7 airbags, front facing rear seat and a sunroof. Imagine!!
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 22:48   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annibaddh View Post
*** And the odd thing is they continue to do it. Altroz. Great product. Poor petrol and no AT at launch. And the weird, idiotic even, feature deletions on the Hexa. And discontinuing that brilliant engine. No petrol in the Harrier. The list goes on!
No offence mate, I would like to put my two cents into the point. Most of the automobile manufacturers in India are international players and they bring their existing ironed out models to India, in majority of cases. The recent introduction of a model to India as part of the Global launch could be Kia Sonet. However it has a huge backing of Hyundai Venue. So, in some way or the other, the models were in other markets well before coming to India.

Our home grown TATA and MAHINDRA don't have these benefits. They have to develop, try and test it here. If they have to launch a model with all options of diesel, petrol and electric versions, the time from concept to launch is going to be very high. So they may be considering to launch a model with one or two options and concurrently develop other options. They will definitely be aware of the consequences of this staggered launches.

Having said all these, as a customer, we don't have to know all that. When we pay money, we are supposed to get the best product. So they will have to hear criticism for any niggles in the launched options.

Being home grown manufactures who are trying to improve their products to meet international standards and trying to develop safe cars, let us forgive them for the staggered launches of options.

Last edited by Sreejith V : 14th August 2020 at 22:53.
Sreejith V is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 23:12   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review but I feel Tata has lost the plot now. The harrier had generated unimaginable hype around its launch. And the fact that they didn't deliver on the promise of an affordable Land Rover worked out badly for the car. Poor built, poor specs and lack of an AT made sure that the sales never picked up. And now it has to compete with lots of new entrants in the segment which are all better equipped and enjoy much more buyer confidence. If things weren't bad enough, then on top of this they have to compete with the covid crisis where sales are only going to fall for the new few months and people might look to spend less.

Having said that, the Harrier has once again proven that the colour black is a MUST for every car manufacturer. It looks absolutely gorgeous in that all black look!
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 00:35   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreejith V View Post
Being home grown manufactures who are trying to improve their products to meet international standards and trying to develop safe cars, let us forgive them for the staggered launches of options.
I have already forgiven Tata for launching Nexon in EV but not Harrier. And then again for launching Nexon EV with 300KM range and not 500KM . I totally agree with you. People want proven products which have been tested. I see Tata and Mahindra working years to get it right.

On a serious note, I love the Dark Edition since its launch and every time I think of upgrading from Honda City, its my choice. Just that only the base variant is in my budget is another problem. Lets see if this works in 2021(I have deferred all 2020 purchases ).
sunnsood is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 10:07   #66
BHPian

Quote:
No offence mate, I would like to put my two cents into the point. Most of the automobile manufacturers in India are international players and they bring their existing ironed out models to India, in majority of cases. The recent introduction of a model to India as part of the Global launch could be Kia Sonet. However it has a huge backing of Hyundai Venue. So, in some way or the other, the models were in other markets well before coming to India.

Our home grown TATA and MAHINDRA don't have these benefits. They have to develop, try and test it here.
I must say I disagree with this assertion. The Harrier for example has the engine sourced from Fiat and transmission from Hyundai. The car itself is based on existing platform from JLR. Not much development and home-growing here. Adaptation, yes. Home-growing? Naaah!

On the flip side is the consumer. For her a car is an extremely important purchase. And an expensive one. Probably made once every 10-12 years. A consumer will not, and should not reward therefore a product so under-baked. And once you miss the purchase cycle of that consumer, it's gone! For those 10 years.

Tatas have no excuses (and space) for launching products with niggles (some that prove to be fatal!! That steering for example). Absolutely zero room for colossal mistakes like this. The lesson is simple. Get it right the first time.
Annibaddh is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 10:26   #67
BHPian

A very comprehensive review!

Incidentally, I had taken TD of the Harrier automatic in Chennai just a couple of days back. Really liked the seating position and the top version with electrically operated seats was perfect. The fit and finish too did not have much to complain and it was a very pleasant cabin to be in.

While taking the TD I felt the acceleration was slow, then realised the needle hovering around 90kmph mark; this beast masks speeds really well. Will be a terrific and relaxed mile muncher. Full marks to the engine+gearbox combo! AT was extremely comfortable to drive in the city. Tried the different modes and the Sports mode had a marked difference in the way the vehicle responded to the throttle.

Contrary to what is mentioned in the review, I felt the steering to be light at parking speeds, in fact I had to take the vehicle out among other few parked cars and felt it was very easy to use. Yes, the steering is a touch sensitive at higher speeds, something to get used to.

The music system, now a typical trait with all Tata cars, sounds fantastic. I didn't try the sunroof but it is good to know that it is there. With this 2020 edition, Harrier as a product is really well rounded and certainly deserves attention. Kudos to TATA.
vshankarhere is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 10:41   #68
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely review @Aditya, thanks for sharing

The car looks lovely, has great presence and stance, and most of jagged edges from the 2019 release have been ironed out.

Looks like Tata got many things right in this iteration but then in this unforgiving market, one has to get things right the first time, one doesn't get a second chance. I feel for Tata and the car, just hope it doesn't do absymally low numbers which would be bad.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 12:30   #69
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
That isn't always the case. For instance, correct me if I am wrong, but Ecosport was a global product, but one that started sales specifically in India. Stellar product from day 1.

I think senior BHPians can produce more examples.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 20:55   #70
BHPian

This may be slightly off topic but i still would like to mention this:

1. Tata really needs to learn to bring the well finished product with all the necessary options for that class of car at the launch itself the way Koreans are doing and even Mahindra seems to have done today with the Thar i suppose.

2. Indian buyers care a lot for the IMAGE that the car has built for itself. Fortuner was a CAPABLE SUV with great ROAD PRESENCE from the launch itself which earned it a formidable reputation, so did the Endeavour and Pajero/Pajero Sports. Even Safari, Scorpio earned that reputation.

I still dont see rear disc brakes and AWD/4X4 in Harrier version 2 which are absolutely essential for building that image of a capable SUV the way even Jeep Compass has built for itself if it is to sell beyond 20 Lakh OTR price bracket. People may be buying more 2wd fortuners and other SUVs than the 4wd but that IMAGE is all important for any SUV to succeed among masses.

If there isnt a 4WD variant of the Harrier, it can never build that SUV Image and will always struggle to sell beyond OTR 20 lakh rupee price bracket even if it has so many other things going for it. Seltos, Creta, Sonet, Nexon and all other compact pseudo SUVs dont struggle with that because they all are priced well below 20 lakh rupees and well equipped with features to compensate for that lack of AWD abilities.

I am also looking to buy a two row seating SUV and that lack of 4WD and rear disc brakes are the only omissions that are stopping me from committing to Harrier. I will wait for Tata for a year at the most to add those features otherwise i will settle for something else.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 15th August 2020 at 20:58.
46TheDoctor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 02:59   #71
Senior - BHPian

I am excited about the Harrier now, after reading this review. It looks like that Tata finally got many things right in this automatic edition. This one looks looks a lot like the Fortuner especially from the front three fourth angle and in the red/black dual tone colour. A very good effort by the team, seems they have recognised the threat from the Seltos. They should now concentrate on getting their after sales right, after all this is their best product.
Old 16th August 2020, 03:35   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnsood View Post
I have already forgiven Tata for launching Nexon in EV but not Harrier. And then again for launching Nexon EV with 300KM range and not 500KM . I totally agree with you. People want proven products which have been tested. I see Tata and Mahindra working years to get it right.

On a serious note, I love the Dark Edition since its launch and every time I think of upgrading from Honda City, its my choice. Just that only the base variant is in my budget is another problem. Lets see if this works in 2021(I have deferred all 2020 purchases ).
Which car apart from a Tesla has a 500 km range? And do you know the sticker price of a Tesla with that range? You are getting an EV with 250 km range for about USD 20k. Even the Nissan Leaf costs about 10k USD more.

I don't think you have such an aggressive looking SUV below 50 lakhs (fortuner price) in India at the moment.

Last edited by GTO : 17th August 2020 at 08:03. Reason: Please do NOT post in a rude manner. Always be civil + polite + respectful on this forum.
Cessna182 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 14:40   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
Which car apart from a Tesla has a 500 km range? You are getting an EV with 250 km range for about USD 20k. Even the Nissan Leaf costs about 10k USD more.
Let's talk about numbers. If i pick battery price as $7000 Battery pack replacement around $7000. And then I multiply this by Indian rupee 74.85 (current price of dollar to inr ), I get 5,23,950. If I add this cost to the XM cost of harrier i.e. 15,15,000(from Tata motors website) it comes around 20,38,950. Here, I didn't reduced the price of components that won't need to be migrated over to the EV vehicle. Is that a bad price I am looking at? For an ev, that's a perfect price and I believe even value for money & awesome for environment. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong or way off the mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
I don't think you have such an aggressive looking SUV below 50 lakhs (fortuner price) in India at the moment.
I agree a lot of development efforts are being spent by both Tata and Mahindra (we see these test mules all over the place; I see wagonR ev in testing like everyday). But the quality controls of both are quick lacking and initial customers get taken for a ride. That I feel is a valid complaint and both need to work on it. Do I get offended by that? No as everyone spends his hard earned money after paying heavy taxes on buying cars which don't come cheap. Sorry to say but every product is like a tinder. You like it you get it, you don't like it you move on. Next you spoke about looks which are subjective in nature. Every car has a fan following and I feel its good that everyone has options to pick from.

With that, I rest my case.

Last edited by GTO : 17th August 2020 at 08:04. Reason: Quoted text edited
sunnsood is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 08:04   #74
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: No more off-topic posts please.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 08:28   #75
BANNED

The Aria and XUV5OO were launched around the same time. I saw both these cars together once and the Aria looked classy. The XUV with too many curves and cuts looked weird to me. Then Tata updated the design of the Aria with smoked headlamps and I went wow. The update on the XUV made it even worse. Tata designs have always been classy- be it the Tiago or the Safari Dicor or the Hexa. Then came the Harrier with a futuristic design. Day before yesterday I was waiting at a signal near a Tata dealership and saw a red Harrier with the DRLs on and it looked good but then I saw the Hexa and it looked even better. I always expected Tata to make classy designs and the harrier doesn’t go well with that. The updated Nexon and Tiago on the other hand look amazing. The diesel+ AT combo makes the new Harrier a good deal. Yeah, An AWD is sorely missed.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks