Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2020, 08:51   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Interesting that Tata doesn’t get the product right until the second time. The Aria -> Hexa is another example.

It’ll be interesting to see the next gen XUV 500 vs the Harrier. I’d pick the Innova Crysta any day though.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 09:17   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

I took a test drive yesterday and honestly, I am rather underwhelmed. While the space is there, the cabin felt a bit plasticky, especially at the back. The engine-AT combo is neither as punchy nor as refined as the old 2.2 Variocor + PPG 6AT, while efficiency is expected to be similar. Rear sun blinds and extendable sun visors are inexplicably missing. My slip disc affected back found the rear bench to be lacking lumbar support, something I didn’t notice on both Creta and Compass. On the driver’s seat, my left knee was hitting the dash in my driving position. To counter that, I had to keep the seat really low, which kind of took away to charm of driving an SUV. Cabin was acceptably quiet upto 120kmph (Hexa is quieter and feels more plush). Space and bad road ability are absolutely phenomenal, no doubt. The steering is definitely too sensitive at high speeds, but I can get used to it and it can even be fun.

Overall, coming from my Hexa XTA, I felt the car lacked that final coat of polish, that last 5%. At 25L on road including extended warranty and gold AMC, Harrier is rather pricey. Almost 4L over a fully loaded Creta/Seltos, about par with the much better to drive and premium feeling Jeep Compass and dangerously close to the Skoda Kodiaq. This could have been my car, but isn’t.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 14th August 2020 at 09:27.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 09:26   #48
BHPian

I would buy the Harrier in a heart beat, if I was in market for a similarly priced car.

The AT was the biggest miss last time around and glad to know Tata has upped its game. Hoping that this will atleast be a moderate success and do better than Hector etc.
charanreddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 09:44   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
The Harrier to me is the spiritual successor of the Safari, something you can fantasize about all night ! I liked the darker shade.
Good to see most issues resolved, hope this translates to better sales numbers.

I am having a conflict with myself whether Tata got a bit lucky by launching the car a year before. Not sure how it would have made an impact if they launched it during these tough Covid times. Anyways, this discussion is not material now as whatever done is done.
Well the Harrier is a fantastic car but it can never replace the Safari.Safari was a true blue Ladder on Frame SUV with 4 WD. The Harrier is a Monocoque Crossover which is very good but it cant be compared to a Safari/ Storme in terms of capabilities. Harrier is good for on road use and a bit of kuttcha roads. Most people will prefer the Harrier as it is a modern vehicle and meets most of their needs, however people who need 4WD and the toughness of a Ladder Frame chassis will not. The latter is a small number.

Just to illustrate the point,Safari Storme does duty with the India Army . Will the Army buy the Harrier for the same application?
rajneeesh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 10:00   #50
BHPian

Wish Tata will look into the remaining problems reported by all reviews to make Harrier a perfect car. My personal issue will be the gearbox jerk while shifting down and 6 months service interval.

I wish that Harrier climbs to top of the sales charts and stays there.
akj53 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 10:42   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
My parents were like your parents and then they sat inside a MG Hector with Panaromic Sunroof and they they got the point
My dad though is the biggest hypocrite and went the reverse. He was an enthusiastic collector in his 30's-50's. We have had the Standard 2000, Rover Mondego and the P309 aside from the standard Premier Padmini. His bike was a RE and a RD350.

Now? He tells me that a car is a functional thing and instead of the Seltos he wanted to pick up a sub 6l car.
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 10:58   #52
BHPian

Excellent Review. Harrier is an absolute stunner and really stands out in the crowd. Hats off to Tata for creating such a car. When can we expect the petrol version on road? Eagerly waiting
das_ren_auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 11:29   #53
BHPian

Frankly I'm frustrated with the Tatas. An ex-boss of mine - now a fairly successful management professional - mentioned this a long time back. That Tata Motors can't change, even if they have the best products. The team and culture is rotten. Does it not show through in this? Seltos and Tatas are a study in that contrast. Tata's had the LR legacy to back up a product that had probably the most pre-launch hype I've seen in a long time. Auto Expo fueled that fire even more! The product had incredible presence. Everything going for it. And Tatas botched it royally! Kia basically repurposed an already overpriced Hyundai. and added another 7K units monthly to frankly an ordinary car (would pick the Jeep Compass over the Kia twins Any.Given.Day.).

And the odd thing is they continue to do it. Altroz. Great product. Poor petrol and no AT at launch. And the weird, idiotic even, feature deletions on the Hexa. And discontinuing that brilliant engine. No petrol in the Harrier. The list goes on!

I sincerely hope they learn to get things right, stay away from this Safari-Hexa business and launch a true Safari (perhaps the Blackbird with a standard car and a Storme variant, with AWD/4WD/AT at launch, Sunroof, true Skid Plates, terrain-mode etc. a la TrailHawk). And frankly revive the Hexa. It's a brilliant car!
Annibaddh is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 12:06   #54
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Review as always. Next time round, Tata Motors should hand over the car to our mods during the final testing phase & after working on the flaws only then launch the car in the market!
PPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 12:08   #55
BHPian

Excellent review of what I think is a truely aspirational product from TATA. One would have imagined they would want to go after the Creta segment and this car sits clearly a segment above. Nonetheless, I think TATA deserve a pat on the back for their efforts into getting this car to the market. Good to know that the company has taken consumer feedback seriously and worked on ironing out the kinks. The car does look striking in this new Calypso red color. I am yet to get used to the position of the headlights though - every time I look at it, reminds me of the picture below -
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-scanner_20200814_120423.jpg  

Romeo_Mike is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 14:36   #56
BHPian

This really is a BEAUTY ON ROAD!

Since the time it's launched, everytime I see a Harrier on road my heart skips a beat or two. Such a lovely car with perfect SUV proposition in every angle. Especially this new RED, OMG! I just love it.

With this all important facelift they made it more desirable ticking all the right boxes.
Tata literally collected all the negative feedbacks and worked on them carefully and launched with saying "Here you go, take it!".
I really feel sorry for those who bought Harrier last year. Even though the prices have increased, it's worth it. To me it's still a VFM car compared to Compass.
₹itzylove is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 15:42   #57
BHPian

seems the demos/deliveries are already reaching dealerships. A couple of shots from the Jodhpur dealership of the top-end#DARK edition with sun-roof and auto-gearbox (both verified after peeping through).

Apologies for the missing the front end pics (got so engrossed in it that it completely skipped the mind - the rear three-quarter shot was also an afterthought ). In my view, this would be the best shot of the car, given the blackened treatment of the tail lamp cluster. The frond lights remain same as all other versions (no smoked/blackened effects in headlamps or foglamps) and kinda let you down as you move from rear towards the front.
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-00000img_00000_burst20200813185552636_cover.jpg  

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20200813-7.16.51-pm.jpeg  

On the Move is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 17:13   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
I've been waiting for this review since a time. Harrier's design is one aspect of it that will surely age well. There's nothing like it on the road at that price bracket.

I absolutely love this car but am I willing to invest 23+ INR on road? The service experience that I've had with Tata previously is stopping me from doing so. Also 6 months/7500 kms seems to be a rather short service interval. People with high running might end up in the service centre once in 3 months just for regular service.

Mods, this shade looks like Telesto Grey and not Sparkle Cocoa
Actual service is for every 12 months (Oil/filter...). Every 6 months is a general check up thing.

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-harrier-schedule.jpg
bageherath is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 17:41   #59
BHPian

A wonderful and detailed review. Spot on...

Harrier is such a beautiful Indian Car. It ticks all the right boxes for an SUV lover. Even so much better now. I had numerous test drives of 2019 Harrier when it was launched and I loved every bit of it & it had just the right price tag. I just hope that the dealers do justice in marketing this car. The sad sale numbers I feel are owning to the lethargic attitude of the TATA Dealers. That's entierly my personal opinion.

I was one of the many would be customers of Harrier who was driven away from the owning one by the lackluster attitude of the dealer. Ended up getting a Jeep compass.

TATA should review the dealerships for once if they want numbers from the Harrier. Harrier has the potential and I would love to see many more Harriers on the roads.
Old 14th August 2020, 18:09   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
Mods, this shade looks like Telesto Grey and not Sparkle Cocoa
The Top image shows the new Sparkle Cocoa colour.

In The bottom image the Harrier on the left is the old Thermisto Gold colour and the right one is the Telesto Grey.

The Sparkle Cocoa and Telesto Grey are completely different but the Thermisto Gold and Sparkle Cocoa are quite similar with the Sparkle Cocoa having a tinge of more golden colour in it.
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-annotation-20200814-180355.png  

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-annotation-20200814-180131.png  

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 14th August 2020 at 18:11.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks