Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2020, 16:21   #466
BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
Guys. I have waited for the end of the year to get a good deal. Moreover with the pandemic travel was very restricted. What's the best you guys are getting?

A potential reduction of 50k with insurance and a 50k discount is a minimum I would expect. If not, I would probably wait for a newer model next year. Thoughts?
I checked for the CAMO version and there are 0 discounts being offered. Just a 5k corp discount
Old 4th December 2020, 16:55   #467
BHPian

I have been following this thread since the launch and Harrier was one in my list to evaluate for my SUV buy early 2021. I like the looks, the road presence and the space is good inside. I waited till the new version with Auto Transmission and Sunroof got launched. Went last week for a test ride alone.

Firstly, let me talk about the ride. The vehicle is pretty good to ride and sedan kind of feel with a commanding view of the road. Easy to manoeuvre and goes where you point to. I was fine with my seating adjustment as well. No issues with side mirrors. The vehicle ate most of the potholes in Bengaluru without any hassles. Clutch is very light compared to my Linea TJet, which is not a deal breaker. Picks up fast and the sports mode was exciting. Overall didn't feel any issues in pickup, braking and handling. It's all good there.

Now comes the part which I don't feel very excited about. The instrumentation and the interiors. For a 25Lakhs+ car, the quality of interiors, design and features is a big letdown . Except for the sheer size and high-seating position, i didn't feel anything premium compared to my Linea TJet. THe sound system was loud, but lacks quality and punch. Someone else also mentioned about it in this thread. The features one find in something like Kia Seltos is miles ahead of what's on offer in Harrier. I am sure the average number of harrier sales is just because of this factor. A close friend drives a Seltos and I loved the comfort, tech and interior quality. But, harrier drives like a dream and seltos is nowhere close to it.

I personally wouldn't have cared much for interiors, tech and finish quality, if i was buying a 15Lakh car. But, I do for anything north of 25+ Lakhs.

So, what's my position now? I am keeping my eyes open for the New XUV500, Citroen C5 Aircross and maybe test ride a Hyundai Tucson as well. Ever reliable New Innova is always there as Plan B. because of my powerful engine specs and bigger space needs, Creta, Jeep Compass and Seltos are not in the list. Am I missing anything to be considered?

In summary, Harrier let me down as a package for what it's worth It still get's my glance whenever i see one. A looker for sure.

Last edited by r0ckstar.1 : 4th December 2020 at 17:03. Reason: Correct Spelling mistakes
r0ckstar.1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 17:15   #468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstar.1 View Post
The features one find in something like Kia Seltos is miles ahead of what's on offer in Harrier. I am sure the average number of harrier sales is just because of this factor. A close friend drives a Seltos and I loved the comfort, tech and interior quality. But, harrier drives like a dream and seltos is nowhere close to it.

I personally wouldn't have cared much for interiors, tech and finish quality, if i was buying a 15Lakh car. But, I do for anything north of 25+ Lakhs.
Thats pretty much the view for most & thats why the Creta-Seltos sell as much as they do, compared to the Compass, Harrier, Tucson, XUV500 etc. Its the creature comforts, automations, software related convenience that matters in most use patterns. Its these features on one side & much more powerful powertrains, ride+handling & size on the other hand.

Harrier's size, dynamics & power + the electronics & gizmos of the Seltos = Compass / Tucson which are costlier cars. There is a trade-off when choosing the Seltos/Creta or the Harrier. One is glaringly visible in the cabin, the other is hidden under the bonnet & dynamics. And thats why - these cars actually aren't comparable at all. Different target audiences.

A smart choice to wait for the XUV5oo I'd say if you don't mind the wait. (Although wait for the launch + V1.0 launch 6 months afterwards.)

Last edited by Reinhard : 4th December 2020 at 17:16.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 18:17   #469
BHPian

Quote:
The features one find in something like Kia Seltos is miles ahead of what's on offer in Harrier. I am sure the average number of harrier sales is just because of this factor. A close friend drives a Seltos and I loved the comfort, tech and interior quality. But, harrier drives like a dream and seltos is nowhere close to it.
Excellent point. Superior vehicles mechanically somehow lag behind in bling and then complain of low sales .

Then they bring in a facelift adding all those lovey dovey bling and increase the price. The Harrier cannot afford to increase the price anymore. It is quite expensive for a 5 seater.

TATA !. Learn guys learn from Kia. How to target Indian customers, lure them in with VISIBLE stuff first.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 18:38   #470
BHPian

The 20k/month sales of Creta+Seltos are definitely huge, but do we know the breakup? Both of them have a big variant spread. It's possible that most of their sales are below 15 lakh on road, which is a big psychological barrier. Harrier starts at 16 lakhs on road after discounts, so many with a budget of 15 lakh won't even consider it, although they might visit Hyundai and end up buying a higher version of Creta at 17 lakh.

Last edited by GTO : 7th December 2020 at 07:57. Reason: Typos
pseudo_coder is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 23:42   #471
BHPian

Quote:
ITHe sound system was loud, but lacks .
In your test drive so far , can you please share which car”s audio system that you like the most : your benchmark .
Old 5th December 2020, 08:59   #472
BHPian

Quote:

Now comes the part which I don't feel very excited about. The instrumentation and the interiors. For a 25Lakhs+ car, the quality of interiors, design and features is a big letdown . Except for the sheer size and high-seating position, i didn't feel anything premium compared to my Linea TJet. THe sound system was loud, but lacks quality and punch. Someone else also mentioned about it in this thread. The features one find in something like Kia Seltos is miles ahead of what's on offer in Harrier. I am sure the average number of harrier sales is just because of this factor. A close friend drives a Seltos and I loved the comfort, tech and interior quality. But, harrier drives like a dream and seltos is nowhere close to it.

Strongly feel that Harrier cabin is a much better place to be in compared to Kia. Those seats are top notch. Kia's seats especially that GT badging feels cheap.

Feature wise korean cars are way ahead and there is no match and if those matter to you Koreans will always be a step ahead. No point waiting for XUV in my opinion.

Sound quality is impressive with Harrier.

I agree that spending 25+ is a big deal but Compass for the same price does not have anything better today. Kia and Creta does not offer that Harrier offers which you have acknowledged.

You may have to spend 30+ for Karoq to get the best of both worlds.
abhatt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 16:16   #473
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

With Tata highlighting safety ratings of all their products, wonder what's keeping the Harrier from being tested? Is the safety rating that bad?
Old 5th December 2020, 19:02   #474
BHPian

Service experience update:
I had been to Rudra Motors today for topping up the DEF and it was a very very pleasant experience. I had no prior appointment and the service center was completely swamped.
They still managed to assign a service advisor within minutes and he was done even before I could settle the bill (700₹ for 10 ltr)

Pleasantly surprised.
ihrishi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 10:08   #475
BHPian

Did any of you experience heavy steering wheel judder and vibration when idling or when at low rpm in traffic in the harrier automatic? I experienced this persistently during my test drive (was driving in echo mode I think) and I couldn’t believe it. The sales rep did not disagree or offer any explanation when I asked him about it.
There is a lot to love about the harrier but This was the only reason to strike the harrier off my list.
Old 6th December 2020, 14:11   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_g View Post
Did any of you experience heavy steering wheel judder and vibration when idling or when at low rpm in traffic in the harrier automatic? I experienced this persistently during my test drive (was driving in echo mode I think) and I couldn’t believe it. The sales rep did not disagree or offer any explanation when I asked him about it.
There is a lot to love about the harrier but This was the only reason to strike the harrier off my list.
I have noticed slight vibration of the steering wheel when the car is idling. But if you hold it, you wont feel. Its just minute vibration that you can notice if you look carefully or feel with a very soft touch. But never felt it as a problem. I noticed it because my Ecosport did not have this vibration.
Old 6th December 2020, 21:47   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
Strongly feel that Harrier cabin is a much better place to be in compared to Kia. Those seats are top notch.

Feature wise korean cars are way ahead and there is no match and if those matter to you Koreans will always be a step ahead. No point waiting for XUV in my opinion.

Sound quality is impressive with Harrier.
Spacewise, no two words about it. Harrier cabin is luxury. My reference is purely to the quality, features, tech, Fit-n-finish, which doesn't ooze luxury/premium in Harrier.

Since you mentioned sound quality, Seltos sound system is definitely better with Bose and Dashboard mounted speakers.

If Indian car manufacturers think they cannot better or equal the koreans in the features space, then that's sad. When we can produce world-class software from India, why can't we do the same in manufacturing/Auto industry?

Let's just agree to disagree on our opinion on this front . Trust me, I really wanted to like Harrier (as a whole) for Tata and for Indian auto industry in general. But, Yeh Dil Maange More!
r0ckstar.1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 22:03   #478
BHPian

One of the best mileage so far with 3 + luggage onboard 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-d414378da24e4c329d1d318b928b88c9.jpeg

Quote:

Since you mentioned sound quality, Seltos sound system is definitely better with Bose and Dashboard mounted speakers.
I find seltos quality inferior compared to Harrier JBL systems .As per my experience Hector infinity is the best in the segment , then comes Harrier and then seltos. Even in the seltos thread owners complain about the lack of quality . Every one have their own perception

Last edited by greyhound82 : 6th December 2020 at 22:06.
greyhound82 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 01:14   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
I checked for the CAMO version and there are 0 discounts being offered. Just a 5k corp discount
I just brought one home last Friday with a total discount of INR 80k in Chennai. I am sure this should not be too different in Hyderabad unless the dealers are playing the spoil sport.

[quote=greyhound82;4948025]One of the best mileage so far with 3 + luggage onboard

This is my third day with Harrier and took it for a relaxed drive on ECR till Mahabalipuram and on the outer ring road. I was rewarded with a good 15kmpl max with a light foot and use of cruise control.

Any clue why the ARAI certified figures of 14.63 kmpl when most of the users have reported better real world mileage ? Most of the companies claim superficial figures and real world numbers come as a major deviation from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsanthosh View Post
I have noticed slight vibration of the steering wheel when the car is idling. But if you hold it, you wont feel. Its just minute vibration that you can notice if you look carefully or feel with a very soft touch. But never felt it as a problem. I noticed it because my Ecosport did not have this vibration.
How old is the car ? did you take this issue to the Tata service Center ?
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-20201204_170617.jpg  

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-20201206_184206.jpg  

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th December 2020 at 02:18. Reason: Back to back posts.
Turbo_head is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 06:46   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_head View Post

Any clue why the ARAI certified figures of 14.63 kmpl when most of the users have reported better real world mileage ? Most of the companies claim superficial figures and real world numbers come as a major deviation
Cruising in sixth gear less than 90kmph, these SUVs will give great mileage. You can see 20 KMPL mileage values in the Hexa thread. That said, Tata MIDs are very optimistic. For my Hexa,I ussually get 1.5-2 KMPL less than what MID shows when calculated through tankful method.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed