Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2023, 17:51   #1981
BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Harrier KZA+, I went for the 4th service (minor) at ~20K / 18 month and was told that coolant is leaking. Only then I noticed that in the 3rd service a liter of coolant was topped up – very rare because this is a closed loop system and big losses mean leakage. I had driven 5K since then and never felt anything unusual. I had a Mum-Ahm trip planned in a few days and so asked them to resolve it.

They kept it overnight and said couldn’t find any leakage. Didn’t think they did any pressure test. They were short staffed and had just left the vehicle running for some time instead. There was no change in the texture of engine oil (e.g., milky) and no change in exhaust gases, so I ruled out coolant entering combustion chambers. I was worried about physical warping of the metal due to excessive buildup of heat.

Nevertheless, travelled to Ahm armed with the option of topping up with water (a la carburetor days) – SC workshop head also recommended this. But the temperature never exceeded usual levels and the vehicle ran amazing as ever – 530 Kms each way covered in under 9 hrs even with 3x 30-min stops.

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-harrierparked.jpg

The very next day after my return to Mumbai took to SC after topping up with another liter of water. This time they did more serious testing and confirmed bubbling from engine joint – pointing to the engine gasket as the most likely source of leak. It also meant opening the engine head and that worried me.

After another day the advisor confirmed that the culprit was the gasket and would have to be replaced – under warranty. Several parts involved and I knew it would be at least 2 weeks.

After about 10 days all parts had come, and they opened the block, replaced the gasket with necessary machining (apparently needed to align). Strangely, I was told they need more time because the tool required to refit the timing belt was not available with the SC and had to come from elsewhere.

I received my vehicle exactly on the 21st day.

The first thing I asked was to see the old gasket. To my surprise, the advisor told me for the first time that the engine head was also replaced along with the gasket. Wanted to dig more but could not.

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-enginehead.jpg

I could not make out any tell-tale signs of coolant leak on the head or the gasket, e.g., no cracks, no holes, no oxidation, or other similar marks. 400 KMS since and I cannot make out any difference in the engine performance or sound so happy. The coolant leakage is gone. Total I had to pay – zero (not counting 21 days without vehicle). They also had topped up DEF about 7 lts.
subuiyer is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th January 2024, 10:46   #1982
BHPian

Past couple of months only local drives due to work/home. But did Mum - Guj recently, first long distance run after the coolant leak issue was resolved by Inderjeet SC in Oct. 1500 KMs in 4 days mostly 4/6 laned highways and also some beautiful rural roads of north Guj. Harrier ran superbly in the cool winter weather, including one 350+ KMs non-stop in <5 hrs - no issues.

Cluster showed pretty good mileage for entire trip, while calculated tank-to-tank was about 1.5 KMPL less (still pretty good on this 'always busy' stretch with AC ON full time). Also, now prefer using wired android auto because it seems to go longer without disconnecting compared to the wireless, plus phone remains charged.

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-harriercluster.jpg

Harrier KZA+
subuiyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 15:37   #1983
Distinguished - BHPian

Does any have the pdf of the brochure of the 2020 Harrier ?
Old 8th January 2024, 15:52   #1984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Does any have the pdf of the brochure of the 2020 Harrier ?
Found this online. I think it is of the 2020 Harrier.

Harrier.pdf
ex-innova-guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 17:16   #1985
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-innova-guy View Post
Found this online. I think it is of the 2020 Harrier.
Thank you, @ex-innova-guy. So was it no AT in the XT ? Or was there one ? (there is a small discrepancy in the Key Features page).
Old 8th January 2024, 17:35   #1986
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, @ex-innova-guy. So was it no AT in the XT ? Or was there one ? (there is a small discrepancy in the Key Features page).
Even I couldn't understand which models got the AT. Tata's variant nomenclature is too tough to decipher. From what I could read up, it seems all the variants which had 'A' at the end were automatic- XMA, XTA, XZA, etc. Also, found these specs for the XT, so no AT.
Old 8th January 2024, 17:39   #1987
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-innova-guy View Post
From what I could read up, it seems all the variants which had 'A' at the end were automatic- XMA, XTA, XZA, etc. .
Or may be XTA came with Sun-roof, and not without it. The '+' in the brochure seems to be for variants with a Sunroof.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 17:48   #1988
BHPian

Quote:
Or may be XTA came with Sun-roof, and not without it. The '+' in the brochure seems to be for variants with a Sunroof.
My bad, there wasn't any XTA variant but just the XTA+ variant which came with Sunroof + AT configuration. Need to do permutation and combination on this link to find all this.
Old 11th January 2024, 12:23   #1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling_Stock View Post
Hi,

Need some advice here.
I drive Harrier XZA with 8000+kms on the ODO.

Of late, I have been experiencing a strange phenomenon while driving.
I notice the Engine RMP shoots up to a tune of +300 rpm to +500 rpm and falls back to nominal value while shifting gears automatically during acceleration. I changed the modes to see if the behavior changes, but was the same.

I'm aware that this Torque converter has a slight rubber-band effect in the initial gears, which I'm used to, but the recent experiences were a bit more prominent in nature.
However, self or the family did not notice any sort of jerk during shifts, but my foot is sensitive enough to differentiate the behavior. There is clear sluggishness in the shift.

I do not see any fault indicators in the MID.
Is there a cause for concern ? or a premature ageing of clutch ?
If yes, let me know if I need to perform any specific diagnostics before reporting it to Service center ?

Cheers !!
@rolling_stock
I am experiencing the same in my Harrier XZA+. I have clocked around 25000 kms.. Could you please share whether you were able to fix this?
Old 14th January 2024, 00:39   #1990
BHPian

Quote:
In 2020/2021 XT did not have automatic. Automatic was only available as XMA,XZA,XZA+.
XTA was launched in 2022.
BlackMambaXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2024, 21:13   #1991

Recently did the 2nd free servicing of my Tata Harrier automatic from a newly opened Tata service centre in Gunjur, Whitefield.

Overall experience with service centre was good and they delivered the car within a few hours.

There was no major issue that I faced since the purchase and car is running smoothly.

The 2nd free servicing costed me ~550 rs (275 for consumables and 275 for sun-roof greasing).

Ride quality (suspension sound and engine noise) improved after the service).

Location of new service centre: https://g.co/kgs/2VER3vn
Old 30th January 2024, 11:55   #1992
BHPian

10,000km up!
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-img20240121wa000301.jpeg

No problems at all and the car is performing admirably.

Some annoying problems have been solved - no visits to the service centre for these thankfully.
  1. Wireless Android auto disconnecting randomly - turns out my OnePlus 8t running custom rom was at fault. Switched to nothing phone 2 and the connection is very stable. Not one disconnection since the last 3 months.
  2. Wireless charging not working - the wireless charging pad is made for bigger phones; my wife's iPhone only charged randomly. No such problems on my Nothing. Wireless charging and wireless Android auto is truly a match made in heaven
  3. Screen cannot be turned off - there is no physical button for this but there is a toggle for that when you pull down the notification. Found this accidentally. Night driving is a lot better now.
  4. Screen brightness can be changed, again from the notification/status bar. I've noticed the infotainment screen works a lot like an Android tablet.
  5. Added a centre armrest to increase the height. It's a lot lot more usable! It can even be slid forward- Like just pull it forward. It even comes with side pouches to hold sunglasses. Two problems solved by one solution.
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-img20240125wa0006.jpeg  

loneagl09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 12:11   #1993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneagl09 View Post
10,000km up!
Attachment 2566949
[*]Added a centre armrest to increase the height. It's a lot lot more usable! It can even be slid forward- Like just pull it forward. It even comes with side pouches to hold sunglasses. Two problems solved by one solution.[/list]
Can you share the link to this product? Seems quite promising.
Old 30th January 2024, 12:56   #1994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Can you share the link to this product? Seems quite promising.
https://homeessentialstore.com/produ...5030de69&_ss=r

Here.
loneagl09 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 07:35   #1995
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I had the second service of my Harrier XZA+ #Dark edition done few months ago with Odo at 5.5k odd km.

This morning while on a short highway drive, the Engine light came up on the cluster and stays despite stopping and re-starting the car. Any ideas why ? Odo is at 6.5k km now.

The second service according to manual is 6.5-8k km but I had it done earlier due to the 6 month deadline. Is this now a service reminder since Odo is at 6.5k km?

Last edited by KarthikK : 23rd February 2024 at 14:43. Reason: As requested

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks