Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2023, 13:48   #1966

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
What I have experienced is that Harrier absolutely doesn't like sudden accelerations or being driven in sports mode for extended periods. It may have all the power and torque figures; however, it likes to be treated as a gentle giant, moving at its own pace and comfort. When required, it can beat anyone but that would be a one-off case, and not a norm. It loves to remain relaxed, not meant for any aggressive driving. My experience is with the Automatic version. No idea about the manual version.
You are correct, that is what even i felt after driving harrier for 2+ years, but it still does not explain that transmission sound.
B58lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 15:21   #1967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58lover View Post
You are correct, that is what even I felt after driving a harrier for 2+ years, but it still does not explain that transmission sound.
I didn't experience any of the sounds in my 3 years of ownership. Most of my driving in sports mode was in single-lane carriageways for overtaking slow-moving traffic by switching to sports from city mode all of a sudden and back. In my instrument cluster, there was no display of the current gear rather it was showing just Auto. How did you know the current gear? Are you driving this in manual mode of auto? Usually in manual the system will decline the gear shifting if there is a mismatch in rev.

Last edited by greyhound82 : 1st October 2023 at 15:23.
greyhound82 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 16:20   #1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
How did you know the current gear?
Hey greyhound,

Cars are my life & while driving, for me there is only man and his machine, everyone and everything becomes immaterial, this hard concentration = I know in and out of Harrier, each and every squeak be it rubber beading or sunroof beading, I know exactly at what throttle input she will downshift and at what she will maintain the current gear, just one look at speedo and I know which gear I am in (I know it sounds absurd but that is how it is), plus, I have driven Harrier for more than 24k km and 2+ years, so this also helps.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 3rd October 2023 at 18:29. Reason: Missing quotes and multiple typos. Thanks
B58lover is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 3rd October 2023, 20:40   #1969
BHPian

My harrier completed a minor milestone – 6 months up and second free servicing. No complaints from my side and the only ask was a DEF top-up. TASS also gave a complimentary wash and interior clean. These 6 months have proven beyond doubt that getting a Harrier was, in fact, a great decision. This was very much a heart-over-head decision and I was nervous the first few months. The car handles wonderfully and the incremental updates to the cluster and infotainment truly make it worth it. Some worthwhile additions that increase the QoL of owning the car –
1. Good 360 degree cameras with good amount of frames and clarity, even at night. Cameras switch on even without the infotainment completely booted on.
2. Good ventilation through the ventilated seats. Thought this would be gimmicky, but s alife-saver in humid conditions.
3. Memory function for seats is feature I never thought I needed, but it’s immensely useful when you give the car for valet parking or cleaning. In addition, I’ve found I prefer 1 or 2 positions depending on my drive. For longer drive I prefer a more relaxed position, while in city I prefer to keep the seat closer to steering and more erect. Assigning these positions to memory buttons help in choosing whichever according to need.
4. Usb c to c charging ports are useful in modern smartphones – a small but useful addition.
5. Wireless charging plus wireless Android Auto is a great pairing for long trips.
6. Panaromic sunroof is kind of eh – it’s good to have in rainy/evening conditions. Useless otherwise. Best I can say is it’s not as useless as I thought it would be. It can be great mood-setter in the right conditions.
7. The de-chromed exterior looks great, as is the tasteful red insert in the grille. Red breaker calipers lend a very sporty feel. I’m happy they did not skip red in the rear wheel calipers.
8. ADAS works well for what it offers. Adaptive cruise control would have been a great addition. Love the granular controls for much of the options.
9. A lot of stuff has been said about the great engine-gearbox pairing and suspension. I can attest that both work as advertised. The turbo, when it hits, is a thing of beauty. I could cruise all day and not feel the slightest discomfort. I rarely ever need to use the sports mode except to feel the sweet sweet torque.
10. A small love note to the music system – I’m in no way an audiophile, but the 9 speaker JBL system is excellent. The bass is deep and does not mute other frequencies even at the highest system. Neither do the panels rattle. One of the few systems where I did not need an external EQ to tweak stuff. It is that good.
Some questionable ergonomic decisions do make one question the interior layout. These are extreme nitpickings, but wish they had been addressed -
1. 360 camera button should have been on my side of the gear, rather than passenger side. It is also kind of far away.
2. ADAS settings are not persistent. I hate the lane change beeps, and have to remember to switch them off every time I start the car. Please Tata, make ADAS settings persistent.
3. Middle passenger seat belt should have been 3 point, which is fast becoming a norm.
That’s all for now. Signing off with some pictures of a recent trip to koyananagar.
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-img_av1.2_20230927_162454_lmc_8.401.jpeg  

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-img_av1.2_20230912_120727_lmc_8.401.jpeg  

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-img_av1.2_20230908_111247_lmc_8.40101.jpeg  

loneagl09 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 13:36   #1970
Senior - BHPian

I have a June 2023 XZA+. One issue right from day 1 was the wind noise from the ride side driver door at speeds above 50kmph. Mentioned this along with the window rattling noise during the first service and the TASS did nothing to solve both. While the 2nd service is still couple of months away, wondering if anyone here has managed to find a fix to the wind noise? This is highly irritating when you are cruising on the highways.
dass is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 15:40   #1971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
I have a June 2023 XZA+. One issue right from day 1 was the wind noise from the ride side driver door at speeds above 50kmph. .
My Safari XZA+ Adv from July 2023 also has the wind noise issue from driver side window but only above 90-100 KMPH. It is disappointing of course at the 28L + price tag but is livable. This has been mentioned in the Team BHP review also.

But definitely not at 50 kmph. That's way too unacceptable. Problem with TASS is once you arrive at workshop and look at the load, you'll understand that for all non routine stuff they will want you to visit separately or leave vehicle for few days. This is not practical and one tends to give up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneagl09 View Post
Some questionable ergonomic decisions do make one question the interior layout. my side of the gear, rather than passenger side. It is also kind of far away.
They just used an existing button for hill descent or something similar - you can see that in original review from 2021. So, it was an afterthought. I had the same sentiment as yours.
Heck, I would want that button on the steering itself - would have been perfect.

Last edited by Turbanator : 10th October 2023 at 20:49. Reason: Back to Back posts, quoted post trimmed.
Rodie09 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 15:55   #1972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a June 2023 XZA+. One issue right from day 1 was the wind noise from the ride side driver door at speeds above 50kmph. Mentioned this along with the window rattling noise during the first service and the TASS did nothing to solve both. While the 2nd service is still couple of months away, wondering if anyone here has managed to find a fix to the wind noise? This is highly irritating when you are cruising on the highways.
I don't think there is a fix for that issue. One possibility is for them to remove the door and fix it back with proper alignment. I get the wind noise above 70kmph and I have started to ignore it with some nice music. I believe it's an issue with all Safari's. By the way I own a April 2023 manufactured Safari.

Last edited by fusionbang : 4th October 2023 at 15:56.
Old 5th October 2023, 11:43   #1973
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a June 2023 XZA+. One issue right from day 1 was the wind noise from the ride side driver door at speeds above 50kmph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
My Safari XZA+ Adv from July 2023 also has the wind noise issue from driver side window but only above 90-100 KMPH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
I don't think there is a fix for that issue. One possibility is for them to remove the door and fix it back with proper alignment. I get the wind noise above 70kmph and I have started to ignore it.
I have a June 2023 XZA+ #Dark Harrier and noticed the wind noise in the first week itself, with speeds of 85-90+kmph.

I mentioned this during the first service/inspection and the TASS guys clearly said it cannot be fixed and it's because of the design/shape of the vehicle and the right side ORVM. They said this is the same in all Harriers and Safaris.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiatfan View Post
BTW curious to know which is your new vehicle you bought. Being a hardcore auto enthusiast, couldn't resist asking.
Thanks for your post in response to my experience on the other thread, I'm replying here since this is more relevant

I bought the Tata Harrier XZA+ #Dark
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 14:04   #1974
KLH

Hi All,

After a lot of research our family bought 2023 BS6.2 Tata Harrier XZA+ (o) (April 2023) from Unity Motors Kolhapur.

We have driven this vehicle more than 25K KM in 6 months.

We had a very bad delivery experience, but that is for another day to share.

We are facing multiple repetitive niggles in our ownership till now:

Niggle 1: During first free service (1000KM) some abnormal tak-tak noise, like something is loose and making contact with metal surface was coming from front right side was informed to ASC. This noise was only heard on smooth highways with undulations. ASC re-torque the suspension after which noise disappeared. But I was sure this noise is not something suspension makes. But again after 2 days same noise creep in. Finally during forth service (22500KM) this was fixed and found to be some part near suspension was loose and making contact body around it.

Niggle 2: After 15K oil change service, service reminder was not able to reset. ASC tried to reset multiple times but the service light will appear again in some time. They changed the instrumentation cluster under warranty even after that service light won't go. Had to write multiple emails to Tata Motors customer care which took them more than 15 Days to diagnose and find issue, and finally instrumentation cluster software was updated which fixed this issue. I am waiting for 30K service oil change to confirm if this will appear again or not.

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-service.jpeg

Niggle 3: Famous Harrier/Safari left pull issue. Even before buying Harrier I knew this issue with many Harrier/Safari while reading forum. I informed ASC during first and second free services, but ASC won't acknowledge and fix this since it was minor pull. After second service went straight to alignment and balancing shop after which this was resolved to some extend, but I do sometime feel it still slightly pulls to left. Will ask ASC for sub frame shift next time.

Niggle 4: After 15K oil change, sudden power loss during acceleration and vehicle goes to limp mode and iRA connect apps show "Powertrain failure error". This seemed to be serious threat, what if sudden power loss happens during overtaking in single lane roads. During OBD scan ASC found lot of errors which was reset and ECU update was done, which fixed this issue, it did not appear again.

Niggle 5 (still pending solution): Facing issues with DRL, Parking & Dashboard lights in Auto Mode. Not working at all or working abruptly. Photographs taken while the engine turned on & Headlights on Auto Mode position are shared for reference. When lights kept in manual mode all DRL, parking light works fine, its only auto mode causing issue. This issue was earlier notified to Tata motors with service reminder issue. This is the second time this issue reappeared. Last time light settings were reset which resolved this issue, but this seems not to be a permanent solution for this. This time I had email again to Tata Customer care, I have asked Tata Motors to escalate things to higher level from which I am yet to receive any concrete reply from them. Even this issue I read on:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5610458 (2021 Tata Safari Review)

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-1.jpeg
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-2.jpeg
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-3.jpeg
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-4.jpeg
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-5.jpeg

Did any other member face similar BS6.2 Harrier niggles?

This car has been a lemon for us, since last time we had issue with service reminder light for which instrumentation cluster was changed under warranty, even though this issue took more than 15 days to fix during which vehicle was not usable. Since we bought this vehicle, it's been idling for an average 4 day every month at the service centre due to new issues which occur every now and then for which no one is taking onus responsibility. This is an epitome for what un-reliable cars mean. Coming to support from Tata motors is not upto the mark and feels like running behind government offices to make them work. I feel Tata should up the customer escalation emails, but they simply choose ignore customer. Tata have learned to make good cars but still lacks in after sales support is what I feel.

We have been patient since the start and always gave good time and opportunities to fix problems, but now since problems occur twice and every time we have to spend our precious time to address this with Tata Motors is not making any sense.

Due to multiple repetitive niggles my family is not confident to drive this vehicle on longer routes. Else we would have easily completed 30k KM within 6 months.

This vehicle is not inspiring confidence for fuss free ownership, which naturally creates panic that many future problems may persist. I would like Team-BHP members to guide on this and help us out to relieve mental agony caused by this.
KLH is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 19:51   #1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLH View Post
After a lot of research our family bought 2023 BS6.2 Tata Harrier XZA+ (o) (April 2023) from Unity Motors Kolhapur.

Hey KLH,

Deeply saddened after reading your ordeal with a vehicle that is almost new. Here are a few suggestions from my side (I do own a Harrier XZA+ Dark from 2021). Hope they help.

1st - (highly recommended) Purchase the full 3-year extended warranty.

2nd - Sell off the vehicle and buy a new one.

Issues with option 2:
A) Massive depreciation hit
B) The new buyer going through the records will find out about the parts that have been replaced in such a new vehicle. This will further drive the price down.
C) What will you replace it with? Compass? It has its own set of problems. The same goes with XUV, Scorpio etc. Basically any vehicle in the 30 lakh price range. Heck, even Innova and Fortuner are having their own set of issues. So taking a depreciation hit along with buying a new vehicle that can have its own set of problems will not be very wise.

3rd - (what I am going to do. Read post #1964) Your vehicle is not a lemon. I have seen a lemon Harrier that had lakhs worth of parts replaced but to no avail. Even now it is not a completely sorted vehicle (if there is such a thing as a completely sorted Tata vehicle).

So instead of selling now, buy the EW, work with the service centre as in your case they are co-operative also so that further helps, drive it for a full 5 years, and only then sell it. Since your running is high you can recoup the depreciation costs somewhat and it will not be a poor decision even from a financial point of view.

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post while responding.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th October 2023 at 05:32. Reason: Trimmed quoted post; grammar, spacing, punctuation corrected
B58lover is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 18th October 2023, 06:08   #1976
BHPian

I just read and saw many videos on line that the Tata Harrier / Safari twins are now GNCAP 5 Star rated.
So that's a great thing, would like to confirm that. AFAIK, the cars are only updated on external design and internal components like the screens and a few more added benefits like ADAS etc...but the general platform (OMEGA ARC) remains the same.

The GNCAP 5* rating will also translate to the same for the older model Harrier / Safari as well right ??

It may loose a few points for the extra air bags in the newer versions, but overall the body rigidity and design is the same correct ???

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Thanks

Last edited by Sheel : 18th October 2023 at 10:33. Reason: Mod note attached.
CaptBrat1845 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 18th October 2023, 10:06   #1977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLH View Post
Hi All,

Niggle 5 (still pending solution): Facing issues with DRL, Parking & Dashboard lights in Auto Mode. Not working at all or working abruptly. Photographs taken while the engine turned on & Headlights on Auto Mode position are shared for reference. When lights kept in manual mode all DRL, parking light works fine, its only auto mode causing issue. This issue was earlier notified to Tata motors with service reminder issue. This is the second time this issue reappeared. Last time light settings were reset which resolved this issue, but this seems not to be a permanent solution for this. This time I had email again to Tata Customer care, I have asked Tata Motors to escalate things to higher level from which I am yet to receive any concrete reply from them. Even this issue I read on:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5610458 (2021 Tata Safari Review)

Attachment 2516076
Attachment 2516077
Attachment 2516078
Attachment 2516079
Attachment 2516080

Did any other member face similar BS6.2 Harrier niggles?

Hey, I had this exact same issue some days ago. We opened the fuse box in engine bay and secured the relays and fuses, trust me many were just placed and not firmly slotted into position. Next disconnected the negative terminal and reconnected in 5 minutes, this solved the problem.

Thanks,
Anshu
Old 18th October 2023, 14:01   #1978
BHPian

Team,
Post the launch of 2023 versions, are there any change in the accessories catalog ?
Any tech that can be retrofited in the previous generation vehicles ?
Any info on this would be aprreciated.

Cheers !!
Old 22nd October 2023, 15:13   #1979
BHPian

Much has been said about Tata's service and of course they have a reputation that precedes them . Had a pleasant experience at the Adishakti service center in Bangalore. Got the first free service done on the 20th.

Had taken an appointment a few days back on the phone and was given a slot for 10AM. The showroom and service center are adjacent and was quite spacious and well maintained. Was met by a service executive at around 10:15. Explained two minor issues which needed fixing 1) some rattling inside the driver's door 2) boot door needed to be slammed really hard to be closed. The SA (Thyagu) noted both points and gave a delivery time of 5:15pm.

Around 12pm I got a call saying that DEF needed a top-up which I approved. At the same time I also instructed them not to power wash the car as I had a relatively new PPF and also because.. well.. Tata. They were happy to oblige.

Exactly at 5:15pm I got a call saying that the car was ready. Went down and completed the formalities in around 15 minutes. The total bill was around Rs 1700 and both the issues had been rectified. Rated them well on their feedback form and gave a special mention for Thyagu. Poor chap seemed quite concerned when he had handed me the form - "whatever rating is in your mind you give sir, we will accept". The SA also promised a free wash during the next service. Did notice an irate customer complaining about something that the service center had missed during their work - he was quite vocal and few executives were trying to pacify him.

Not surprisingly, a large number of deliveries were taking place. There is a temple right next door and they were keeping busy.

While driving back I realised they had adjusted the windshield wiper nozzles perfectly - something I had meant to ask them but had forgotten!

Around 9PM I got an email reminding me of my 10AM service appointment. All was well .
ZBlue is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 12:16   #1980
Senior - BHPian

I find the driver side seat EXTREMELY UNCOMFORTABLE in my 2023 XZA+. No matter what settings I choose, high - low - near to steering - far from steering the back just doesn't feel relaxed even for shorter rides. I drove a Dzire for 10+ years and never had this issue. Initially I put it down to getting used to this but even after 6 months, I feel the same. I am 5'10" and slightly on the heavier side. Anyone one else faced this? What did you do to solve for this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks