Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2023, 14:00   #1921
BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Anyone experience driver door rattling noise on the Harrier?

I suspected the clips of the door pad, had them all replaced and it still persists, gets accentuated with uneven/bad roads.

Now, I'm thinking it's the glass not sitting flush at the top or the rubber beading has a gap that does not close the door flush with the body.
I have completed 42k from the worst roads to the butter-smooth tarmac, not a single rattle. However, I was sometimes confused by the sound of the empty water bottles sitting in the doors, which forced me to think about where the rattle is coming from. It might sound silly but can you check if something like this is lying in any of the door pockets.
Highh5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 20:54   #1922

In this post, I am updating my experience after nearly months of ownership. The vehicle is completing 1 year and has done around 21K km on the ODO.

During this period I went for a few short trips from Mumbai to Surat and Mumbai to Nasik.

Highway manners: The car cruises along comfortably and one does not realize the speed reached. On one such Solo trip, the MID showed an average of over 20 on the highway (had to maintain speed of 70-90 km/hr) . It may have actually been around 18 on tank to tank method.

My family generally likes cruising at 80 -100 km/hr to enjoy the view. One does not realize the speed at which the vehicle is moving. Earlier they used to ask me to slow down in my previous vehicle. But in this, they say "Why are you driving so slowly" and I show the ODO.

Modes: There are 3 modes for power and 3 modes for traction. Effectively, there are 5 modes:
City- City: the default mode for power and traction. I use this 99%. It provides sufficient power for moving along, accelerating.

Eco-City: the power response is lower. I sometimes forget I have put the Eco mode on until I need sudden acceleration. I have not been able to make out if there is an improvement in the fuel economy.

Sports- City: The power is superb. A slight tap and you move fast. Use it for tight overtakes and steep ghats. Also use it once in a while to ensure the DPF is clean.

City- Rough: The power delivery is unaffected. But road traction changes. On the rough road I get more confidence in this mode, but as soon as I reach a good surface, I feel the traction holding me from accelerating.

City- Wet: I used this in waterlogged roads. In one such instance, a Wagon R in front of me shook but this car was stable. Also think it reduces the chances of hydroplaning.

Infotainment System: My MY22 model gets wireless AA (no wireless charging though). During the 3rd service at 15K, the version was upgraded to 18.50. Since then I have driven over 6K. The system has not shut down as it used to earlier 👍, but I have noticed that the infotainment system shows an error (connection failure) at particular locations and AA stops there.

Air Purification: The vehicle also gets an Air purifier, which is basically a better (Hepa) filter to reduce pm 2.5. During the 3rd service, the SA advised changing the air filter. Since I had been taking the vehicle to a dusty environment, I agreed. After the change, there were few instances where the reading showed '0'. I had not seen such low levels even when I bought the car.

FE: I get 11-12 kmpl in my day to day drives. On the highway, it improves to 15-18 kmpl depending on various factors such as ghats, idling etc.

Blind Spots: last time I had mentioned that
Height can also be a disadvantage in tight traffic conditions. One may miss the vehicles with low height.' I have now found a way by adjusting the ORVM.

Knee hitting issues are reported by many. My hacks include adjusting the seat height, putting my foot over the footrest (space is available in the automatics) allowing my left leg to stretch.

Accessory Added: I felt on a few occasions that some bikers tried to take advantage of me. In one case a biker was taking a left turn from my left, where I was also taking a left turn (indicator on) and fell due to road conditions. He then accused me of hitting him. Hence I felt the need for a dashcam. I have installed a Qubo 4k dashcam.

For TPMS, I added JK Treel on all 5 tyres. I was not sure of its utility, but after installing, I found that 1 particular tyre was loosing aitr quicker than others. This has helped me identify a potential puncture.

Third Service: I booked my third service over a call and asked for an appointment at 7 so that I can handover the vehicle and reach office in time. When I reached the service centre (Fortune Motors), there was no SA. But I left my vehicle and key with the security. Around 9:10am, I got a call from the SA. Discussed what all needs to be done. Had checked the same on the TMSC app. We discussed the additions that he was asking for. I felt the same is justified. The bill was around 15k.
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-20230629_172028.jpg  

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-20230515_210827.jpg  

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-20230408_212233.jpg  

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-20230515_210112.jpg  

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-20230408_180752.jpg  

Goutsdk is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 08:57   #1923
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
It might sound silly but can you check if something like this is lying in any of the door pockets.
Absolutely nothing in any of the door pockets and still the sound is there. On Sunday, I had driven on the highway for almost 180km and noticed there is also a wind noise coming from the driver side once speed nears 100kmph (my hunch is there is something wrong with the door fitment that prevents a flush fit on closure of the door).

I also heard from another fellow Harrier owner that the door rattling noise and wind noise at highway speeds are known issues! He has a 2020 Harrier and is part of a Harrier & Safari Owner's group

At least I can rest assured that I didn't get a lemon or that my car's issue is an isolated one.

I will mention these things during my first service (inspection) coming up in a few days and hoping they will record it in the vehicle history. That will hopefully make Tata motors notice/take action and it may help with warranty claim as well going forward.

Last edited by NPV : 1st August 2023 at 09:02.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 11:28   #1924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
(my hunch is there is something wrong with the door fitment that prevents a flush fit on closure of the door).
Exactly what I think is the issue as well. I pressed on the glass from outside when the door was closed and there is a distinct noise on both the front and back door glass on the right hand side only. Nothing of that sort on the left hand doors. The noise is more in the front and slightly lesser at the back.

I have my first service on Monday and these two are the only issues. Hopefully they are able to fix this.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 19:24   #1925
BHPian

Quote:
At least I can rest assured that I didn't get a lemon or that my car's issue is an isolated one.
The wind noise is indeed a known issue and I notice it almost every time I cross 100.

The rattle could be anything though. You could try shaking the door and see if something (like a stone/bolt/whatever) has fallen inside the door. A remote possibility, but can happen.
elroydsilva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 20:16   #1926
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroydsilva View Post
The rattle could be anything though. You could try shaking the door and see if something (like a stone/bolt/whatever) has fallen inside the door. A remote possibility, but can happen.
Already opened up the door pad and replaced the clips, didn't find anything loose/fallen. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I suspect either the glass not aligned flush when closed or the door does not shut flush with the body (maybe the rubber beading has a gap ? This could even be causing the wind noise).

Last edited by NPV : 1st August 2023 at 20:17.
Old 7th August 2023, 11:24   #1927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Already opened up the door pad and replaced the clips, didn't find anything loose/fallen. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I suspect either the glass not aligned flush when closed or the door does not shut flush with the body (maybe the rubber beading has a gap ? This could even be causing the wind noise).
Based on what the SA told me today, this is a door alignment and beading issue that is an easy fix. Need to see tomorrow on how true his words are.
dass is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2023, 03:41   #1928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Based on what the SA told me today, this is a door alignment and beading issue that is an easy fix. Need to see tomorrow on how true his words are.
Might be because I have done higher triple digit speeds but cabin is silent till a decent speed. I frequently drive at 100-110 kmph but only the road noise filters in but no air noise can be heard.

There was a rattling sound but in one instance it was passenger side seatbelt which was making the sound and in another instance sunglasses holder was making that sound both were taken care of by SC.
Old 10th August 2023, 11:14   #1929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Oh well.. they did nothing to fix this. Sprayed some WURTH plastic and rubber care spray on the beading after I pointed out during delivery that the noise is still present. That kind solved it, but temporarily. The noise is back in less than a day of usage. I had very low expectations from TASS, they managed to not meet that one either
dass is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 19:37   #1930
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Managed to get the first service done just before the 2 month/2000km deadline. Haven't driven too much in this period, just about 1300km, but almost entirely on highways around Bangalore.

Got the first service done at dealer service centre Cauvery Motors, Avalahalli.

Complaints were:
1. Front doors had rattling noise and as I had suspected it was because of the rubber beading not fitting flush when door is closed. This has been resolved.

2. Steering wobbling at 90+ speed. They said tyre balancing has been done (free of cost) and it is resolved as per their road test, I haven't verified this myself.

3. Infotainment was stuck showing
Android auto from an earlier pairing and this caused Bluetooth source option to be disabled. This has been resolved with software update to v18.96

4. Wind noise from driver door at 100+ speed - this seems like a known issue and they say it is because of the design of the car and is there in all Harriers and Safaris.

Total Bill was Rs.1100 (approximately 800 for 7 litres DEF and remaining for consumables).

Last edited by NPV : 12th August 2023 at 19:50.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 22:14   #1931
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
4. Wind noise from driver door at 100+ speed - this seems like a known issue and they say it is because of the design of the car and is there in all Harriers and Safaris.
What do folks with door visors on their Harrier/Safari say - does it help - or make it worse ?
Old 17th August 2023, 01:09   #1932
BHPian

Posting this update over here because the good experiences with service centres are rarely highlighted and negative experiences are aplenty.

Gave my harrier for its 15,000 kms service.

Issues in the car that were reported :
  1. Left Pull :- This has been rectified with help of subframe shift. The car is running straight as an arrow now. Super happy.
  2. Boot door needed a lot of force to be closed :- A slight aligning was needed. This has been taken care of and now boot closes properly with required amount of force and no extra pressure is needed.
  3. Infotainment niggles : Infotainment would randomly restart , this has been fixed with an update.
  4. Welcome function not working properly : When I would unlock my car the ORVMs wouldn’t open sometimes. This has been corrected.

Additional work done:
  1. ECU Update : I wanted to get my Harrier’s ECU updated. Tata service centre updated my Harrier’s ECU and now I can feel the difference. The power delivery is very linear and gear changes are smoother than before. Apparently this ECU update also addresses power loss experienced by diesel engines at an altitude. I haven’t been able to verify this but my Harrier is running smoother than it was before.
  2. Deep cleaning :- I have an overly pampered golden retriever who sheds heavily. We have been travelling a lot and my car was filled with his hair. I got deep cleaning done from Tata and they charged me half of what I was being charged outside but they have done really really impressive work with my car. It was spick and span just as the day I bought it.

My experience with the service centre was really good. The SA patiently listened to my issues and got it rectified instead of providing a standard “this is how it is designed Saar” reply.

Quote:
Wind noise from driver door at 100+ speed - this seems like a known issue and they say it is because of the design of the car and is there in all Harriers and Safaris.

I have not been experiencing wind noise at 100km/hr. There is very audible road noise but no wind noise. Wind noise creep in the cabin once you cross the legal limits.

I would request you to get it checked by other service centres because what SA mentioned isn’t true because if that was the case it would have been highlighted earlier in reviews or feedback by other users.

If anything else Harrier’s design and ride quality is such that many times fellow passengers in my car aren’t able to guess the current speed of the car. 110 feels like 80 to them.

If they still persist that this is a design issue then escalate it to service manager and ask them to provide you in writing that this is a design flaw in Harrier then look at them rectify your issue asap.

Last edited by BleueNinja : 17th August 2023 at 01:20.
BleueNinja is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 13:04   #1933
BHPian

Completed one year of ownership in July. The third service was done without much fuss, but before I could pen down an ownership review after 15k kms, an interesting issue showed up.

Driving down the Bangalore NICE highway while returning back from my Udupi trip, I saw some warning lights come up. The car was functioning normally, except the drive modes knob and hill descent button were not working. I continued as usual since I thought this might be some sensor issue. The ABS light had also shown up, so I drove at a limited speed. The brakes were working normally.

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-dm.png

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-hdc.png

After reaching home, I examined the car and noticed a dangling wire near the rear left wheel.

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-wire.png

Took the car to the service center today after waiting for a week for an appointment. SA's first guess was that it could be because of rat infestation. But, we typically have no rat issues both at my place in Udupi as well as in Bangalore, so I presently would not believe that to be the case.

The car is at the service center and the SA casually also mentioned that if this is a rat infestation the wiring harness replacement could cost 50-60k. I feel that if the SA gives me that kind of quote, I will ask for pictures, and if not satisfied, I will take my car back and go for a second opinion. Does that seem wise or am I overreacting?

He also mentioned that the dangling wire is the ABS wire and might need replacement.

Coming from a Hyundai that never saw the light of a service center for issues, this is definitely an inconvenient change.
elroydsilva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 13:47   #1934
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone recently got a headlight upgrade done on the Harrier? I have 2023 June XZA+ and looking at getting the high beam and fog lamps upgraded to LED. I don't want to jazzy Chinese ones which blind oncoming traffic and hence looking for preferred options from any of the owners. I am based in Bangalore, so a local installer would help. The local THUG group suggests GPNE, Autobhan & AUZOOM. I believe all of these are Chinese ones which are rebranded locally, so not very keen on any of them.
Old 17th August 2023, 14:07   #1935

Not sure if the dangling wire is causing an issue. However, for the Drive mode malfunction and other host of such kind of errors, I have been through and after multiple visits and disappointments with service center, I think I figured out. There could be two causes for that. I am not sure which one fixed the issue.
  1. Loose connection to the battery terminals. - Get the connections tightened without any gap. Earlier they were loose. Not sure when they got loose.
  2. Frequency interference - I am using dashcam (3 channel) which uses 12v socket. The remote receiver is inside the center console box, exactly where the 12v socket is. After tons of research, I suspected that could be causing issues. Just wrapped a foil (used for food packaging) to the 12v plug, which simply creates a faraday cage and stops any interference.

After these two changes, haven't faced any issues or warning lights. You may give a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroydsilva View Post
Completed one year of ownership in July. The third service was done without much fuss, but before I could pen down an ownership review after 15k kms, an interesting issue showed up.

Driving down the Bangalore NICE highway while returning back from my Udupi trip, I saw some warning lights come up. The car was functioning normally, except the drive modes knob and hill descent button were not working. I continued as usual since I thought this might be some sensor issue. The ABS light had also shown up, so I drove at a limited speed. The brakes were working normally.

Attachment 2492160

Attachment 2492161

After reaching home, I examined the car and noticed a dangling wire near the rear left wheel.

Attachment 2492162

Took the car to the service center today after waiting for a week for an appointment. SA's first guess was that it could be because of rat infestation. But, we typically have no rat issues both at my place in Udupi as well as in Bangalore, so I presently would not believe that to be the case.

The car is at the service center and the SA casually also mentioned that if this is a rat infestation the wiring harness replacement could cost 50-60k. I feel that if the SA gives me that kind of quote, I will ask for pictures, and if not satisfied, I will take my car back and go for a second opinion. Does that seem wise or am I overreacting?

He also mentioned that the dangling wire is the ABS wire and might need replacement.

Coming from a Hyundai that never saw the light of a service center for issues, this is definitely an inconvenient change.
itsaj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks