Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2020, 12:55   #106
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by igemini View Post
Thanks for the swift reply. I was also facing the same dilemma. My first dealer quoted 65K higher and also they offered me a very low value for my exchange Tiago. The new dealer quoted a somewhat reasonable price for the exchange car and also they were cheaper by 65K. With both combined, there would be a price difference of 100K. Thus I switched even though the dealer is 100 km away from my place. I hope they won't give me any last-minute headache as the other one did.
Do check their google reviews, doesn't hurt to. In my case, positive reviews inspired confidence in me to choose a dealer ~250kms away from where I reside.
RoadMonkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 05:25   #107
BHPian

After going through various delivery pictures of the polo and drooling over them, i can say with confidence that polo is a smart looking hatchback even after 10 years of getting launched, the small upgrades over the years have kept the car fresh.

I am a 2014 model owner of a polo and if i was looking for a new car today, i would still consider it!
yesyeswe is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 12:38   #108
BHPian

Wow. this is plain amazing. 26.3 kmpl for an 83 kms round trip to VW west Delhi.

Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20201101-12.35.54-pm.jpeg
deepfusion is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 12:55   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Wow. this is plain amazing. 26.3 kmpl for an 83 kms round trip to VW west Delhi.

Attachment 2074893
Insane figures for a turbo petrol! I haven't seen numbers over 23kmpl in my Vento diesel! Were you driving at near idle RPM?
Turbohead is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 13:57   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post

Attachment 2074893
That's the essence of small petrol engine that's turbo-ed. You can have fun at times, yet it runs efficiently when you are in insane traffic
Old 1st November 2020, 14:39   #111
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
I took the delivery of my White Polo Highline Plus AT today.

Special mention: Lally Motors. The dealership experience was amazing, the relationship manager(s) were also great. I feel like I'm just randomly using these adjectives but they all hold true. They really do focus on the customer experience over and above everything. The environment was very friendly and everybody at VW helped us at every step of the way. They complied with our every little request and went a step ahead to ensure we left with smiles on our faces.
Congrats on your ride. Looks fantastic and I'm sure you'll enjoy the TSI .

Since you have been singing praises for Lally motors, i would like to clarify the reason why you got such an unparalleled experience. Sales are down. This is because VW has killed diesels and Punjab is still very much into diesels given the high price difference. I have dealt with Lally motors before and they have been decent and courteous but they had poor inventory and knowledge about the GT TSI when I bought mine. (I finally bought mine from Gurgaon on temp as they had the color i wanted and gave a good deal )And this was because, again they sold more diesels.
As it stands currently the sales are very low for their group and they would be surely going the extra mile to sell all the cars they can. Hope you have a wonderful experience for years ahead!

Last edited by Sheel : 1st November 2020 at 17:07. Reason: Please proof read prior to submission and use spell-checkers. Thanks.
Old 1st November 2020, 16:46   #112
BHPian

Wish to share about my new Polo Highline+ Automatic car and first impressions. We took delivery of our vehicle on the 17th of October after months and months of waiting for the torque converter units to start shipping out. Here is a photo from the stockyard at BU Bhandari, Wakad, Pune.

Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-img_20201012_162245.jpg

We were fixated on the Sunset Red colour as it was my mother's choice and was highly non-negotiable. I had made up my mind that I'd go for the Highline+ Automatic variant over the GT TSI purely because of the price factor, but little did I know that I was actually about to hit the jackpot.

Here is a list of things which are different :-
  1. Highline+ AT comes with TWO folding remote keys unlike the GT
  2. Front Centre Armrest with Rear AC Vent
  3. Chrome finished Light Switch
  4. Mechanically identical and also comes with ESP

So for precisely these reasons, getting the GT TSI seemed like a loot considering the Polo on sale today is already based on an ageing PQ 25 platform while the world has moved onto MQBs.

Impressions about the Engine :-
Most of my thoughts and praise for the 1.0 TSI Engine have already been aptly covered by the Official Review for the engine and so I will only focus on my candid thoughts after multiple test drives and owning this vehicle for close to a week (more on this later).

Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-img_20201018_125057.jpg

The 3 cylinder engine is a competent performer for enthusiasts who love to push this engine hard. In fact, at higher speeds and higher RPMs, this engine barely feels like a 3 Cylinder Engine. However, driving around town, it's quite the opposite sentiment. I'm not a fan of the vibrations which do trickle down on the accelerator as well. This is naturally obvious since the 3 cylinder 1.0 TSI does not feature a balancer shaft to the best of my knowledge. I really hope the engine at least smoothens up a little bit more after the due run in period.

AISIN 09G Gearbox
Volkswagen is hellbent on making us believe that this is a brand new gearbox, but truth be told, the 09G Transmission is fairly old in the Volkswagen Group. Leaving that debate for another thread, the new gearbox is definitely not as seamless as the DQ200 DSG.

Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-img_20200921_163435.jpg

I really like how the vehicle gains speed fairly quickly in the D1-D4 gear range and these serial upshifts are also fairly quick and seamless. However, the downshifts are really noticeable. The manual mode only helps with predictable cog changes if you have a light foot and I was nearing the redline and the car just wouldn't upshift for a good 1.5 seconds, something you would never experience in the praiseworthy DSG. Push the car hard on a highway, and after a while you will start hearing and feeling every downshift and the subsequent clunk as well. It does not feel like it is tuned for maximum fuel efficiency as even while driving sedately around town, the car feels lazy to upshift to D4. Most of the action seems to be happening in D2 and D3 and this transition is annoying jerky. I sincerely hope this experience gets better after the running in period.

That being said, I have high hopes of reliability from this gearbox which is why we decided to bite the bullet on this one.

A Major Problem
So here's something I wish to share. My windscreen cracked on the 4th day of ownership when the car had done 70kms and so I contacted my dealership for checking the availability of a windshield for my car. It's been over 10 days and Volkswagen India seems to be having trouble sourcing spare windshields for the MY 2020 and MY 2021 Polo and Vento.

In typical Volkswagen fashion, the part number on Polos rolled out after 5th October is 6RG 845 011 AL which was preceded by AD. Here is an attached snippet from my ETKA subscription. My car comes with AL (Green Glass with a Grey Sunstrip) and the dealership is unable to find information about the pricing and availability for this glass. The glass with part number ending in AD is on backorder. What is even more interesting is that Volkswagen has changed the tinting on their Polo and Vento multiple times in the last few years and as a result, the glass which the dealership has in stock is a worth replacement for a 2017-2018 Polo, but the 2019 Polo skips on the Grey Glass element. Way to complicate matters!

Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-screenshot-20201030-8.31.36-am.png
fluidicjoy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 18:02   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

While one post makes us want to buy the polo tsi convincing heavy mileage daily users (who would rather settle for a frugal diesel) that the 1.0 turbo petrol is a fast yet frugal engine (I love the Manpreet duo logic by Skoda ad), the very next post gives us a dose of what it is to deal with Volkswagen and their pathetic A.S.S / spares availability. Beauty of this forum!!
PrasannaDhana is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 13:40   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone checked the discounts offered for the month of November/festive season?

I enquired about Highline plus tsi MT, and they told me they haven't received November offers yet. Last month, they had a 19k discount on the said model it seems.

The sales rep was not very optimistic about better offers this month as their inventory is 0, and they quote 2 months waiting period.

If Volkswagen isn't keen on giving good discounts on the polo MT tsi, I guess it will drive a lot of customers towards the Rapid Ambition tsi which seems to be much more car for the extra 1 lakh(ofcourse after discounts) it commands over the Polo.

Polo tsi retails at 9.4 lakhs OTR here (before discounts), Figo freestyle 1.5 diesel titanium+ retails at 9.8 lakhs OTR. But the Ford's looks( say lack of) and the interior quality tilts the choice towards polo

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 2nd November 2020 at 13:46.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 13:46   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Test drove the Polo 1.0 TSI.

My observations:

1. The petrol motor is surprisingly refined for a 3 cylinder and even at redline it isn't noisy in a bad way.

2. The low end lag is quite manageable and nothing when compared to my daily driver the Ciaz 1.3 diesel. The car made good progress even at lower rpms

3. Power delivery was FUN!! The car is a delight to drive. The top end performance was comparable to the 1.6 GT TDI.

4. The driver's seat somehow felt uncomfortable. It was in the lowest setting and I had no support whatsoever. Didn't try to height adjust it. May be better if it was set a bit higher

5. The suspension felt a bit too firm over bad roads, in comparison to the rapid

6. The clutch in its resting position was placed too high. The dead pedal makes it a little better, but it should have been lower.

The sales advisor swore that they get 15+ kmpl even under aggressive driving, which I definitely dont believe

Overall it's a nice fun car to drive and at 9.5 lakhs on road (with extended warranty), its value for money too.

They have no stocks available and quote 2 months waiting period.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 11th November 2020 at 14:08.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:48   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post

The sales advisor swore that they get 15+ kmpl even under aggressive driving, which I definitely dont believe
During my test drive, I had reset the values before driving. I managed to get 15-16 Kmpl under quick driving. It was not pedal to metal but fast enough to fly past every every car on the way.

I must say, the efficiency is quite good for such a stonker of an engine!

I again reset the values before a hard run / mild burnouts and flat out accelerations. and the mileage didn't go below 13 Kmpl

Therefore, unless you are driving continuously like a lunatic. It won't go below 12 Kmpl I guess.
sudeep.pandya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 01:40   #117
BHPian

Much has been said about the aggressive creep mode of the AT variant, by the forum members and the reviewers. I too found it a bit aggressive when I TD'd it but easily got used to it. For the longest time now (~1100kms), I've not found the creep mode to be aggressive on my car - until today, suddenly I found it a bit too aggressive. I thought I'd gotten used to it but here it was! Then suddenly, it was manageable again.

Possible hypothesis, fuel delivery is higher on a colder engine leading to a more aggressive creep until your car reaches optimum operating temperature? Can't really be sure as it's hard to measure this phenomenon. I've not had much trouble navigating tight traffic situations though, and believe me, I've been in plenty already.

Loving the driving experience to bits. Add to that, I think this is the safest proper AT (at least with a GNCAP rating) car you can buy right now <20Ls, despite its age! It may not have the tech and the bling, but the mechanicals seem solid and updated. And that's what matters in cars, innit?

Last edited by RoadMonkey : 13th November 2020 at 01:42.
RoadMonkey is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 14:56   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Much has been said about the aggressive creep mode of the AT variant, by the forum members and the reviewers. I too found it a bit aggressive when I TD'd it but easily got used to it. For the longest time now (~1100kms), I've not found the creep mode to be aggressive on my car - until today, suddenly I found it a bit too aggressive. I thought I'd gotten used to it but here it was! Then suddenly, it was manageable again.

Possible hypothesis, fuel delivery is higher on a colder engine leading to a more aggressive creep until your car reaches optimum operating temperature? Can't really be sure as it's hard to measure this phenomenon. I've not had much trouble navigating tight traffic situations though, and believe me, I've been in plenty already.

Loving the driving experience to bits. Add to that, I think this is the safest proper AT (at least with a GNCAP rating) car you can buy right now <20Ls, despite its age! It may not have the tech and the bling, but the mechanicals seem solid and updated. And that's what matters in cars, innit?
Got my vehicle back after repair two days ago and have been driving it around quite a bit ever since. You're right, for the most part I have been comfortable with the car in traffic and have been just fine adapting to the creep. Just back after a 30km city drive in one of the oldest slowest parts of our town, and I don't have much to complain.

I can check the fuel delivery values and other stuff during startup and after a 20-30km drive, and I'll try and record the values using VCDS to post here. For me, the creep feels most amplified when the car is cold started and the car like most other petrol cars I've had, does have a high idle for the first minute after a cold start. Could you check if your coolant bubbles after a long drive? It is something I've been consistently observing. Will upload a small video of the shift quality on my vehicle soon.
Old 13th November 2020, 15:01   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidicjoy View Post
For me, the creep feels most amplified when the car is cold started and the car like most other petrol cars I've had, does have a high idle for the first minute after a cold start.
Yes, I have observed the exact same thing.

Quote:
Could you check if your coolant bubbles after a long drive? It is something I've been consistently observing. Will upload a small video of the shift quality on my vehicle soon.
Yes, yes it does. I know what you're talking about, I've been in the habit of opening the hood of the car ever since I got it. Before and after rides.
Old 13th November 2020, 17:04   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidicjoy View Post
Could you check if your coolant bubbles after a long drive? It is something I've been consistently observing.
Quote:
Yes, I have observed the exact same thing.

Yes, yes it does. I know what you're talking about, I've been in the habit of opening the hood of the car ever since I got it.
Okay, this is news to me. I mean well, I really do, but you guys need to keep a VERY close eye on this. Coolant bubbling may or may not be normal. Please do a simple google search and check for yourselves.

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/37xqmqk9

https://www.holtsauto.com/prestone/n...lant-bubbling/

https://itstillruns.com/bubbles-radi...-12019941.html
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks