Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2024, 21:48   #1171

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdoc View Post
I think 38k is a good time to change your tyres. So you definitely should. I may be in same boat as you, so please let us know what you selected in the end and how it has been.
Hello, I haven't bought any yet but I've received better price of 5300 per pcs for Perfinzas. Somehow small shops in motor markets gave me much better prices compared to shops listed on specific brand's websites.

Anyways, there is a new addition which is newly launched Turanza 6i. I saw them in person and almost got sold. I got two very varying quotes for it in 185/60 R15, 6k and 7.3k. The tyre looks soft and pattern is beautiful.

The 7.3k dealer claimed 6i wouldn't last over 25k kms (soft) and nobody would offer them for 6k/piece, but I'll be taking a gamble and booking them tomorrow from 6k dealer. Would post my observations later on whatever I buy.

Market in my town is inclined towards hard tyres and the dealers were very confidently betting on Sturdo, Earth1 and Perfinzas(soft comparatively) as well.
jijivishu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2024, 11:48   #1172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorDilettante View Post
I’m planning to upgrade to Bilstein B6 for my Polo. I would really appreciate pointers on good garages in Bangalore that can help me with the upgrade. I can source the shocks but confused regarding mounts, lower arms and drop links.

Also, pointers on how to source larger OEM brake kits will be really helpful.
Carmed run by the Code6 guys are pretty good. They can help with the installation and also help source the big brake kit for your car. However, expect it to be expensive.

While installing the B6, an inspection will have to be conducted to understand the wear rate of the drop links and lower arms. Installing new mounts is necessary when swapping the old shocks for new ones, especially if the mounts have never been changed / upgraded in the recent past. Carmed should be able to source the replacement parts such as mounts, drop links and lower arms should you require it. However, they will need a few days notice to do the same, I’m assuming.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2024, 12:54   #1173

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I ordered the Euro spec air channel yesterday so that's the first upgrade I planned. Brakes I think I have no option but to upgrade as soon as possible.
Could you share the part number? I'm looking to make the same mod to '21 GT TSI.

Further, would the ASC be able to install the Euro spec air channel or would I need to visit an FNG?

Apologies in case the above queries have already been answered.

On a separate note, my 45K/3 year service is also due this weekend. There's steering judder on high speed braking that I need to get resolved. I switched brake pads during my last service, I'm presuming it's the rotor this time around as there's a bit of squeaking. Probably better to upgrade to Brembo/EBC this time around.
Old 3rd May 2024, 23:41   #1174
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynosure View Post
Could you share the part number? I'm looking to make the same mod to '21 GT TSI.

Further, would the ASC be able to install the Euro spec air channel or would I need to visit an FNG?

Apologies in case the above queries have already been answered.

On a separate note, my 45K/3 year service is also due this weekend. There's steering judder on high speed braking that I need to get resolved. I switched brake pads during my last service, I'm presuming it's the rotor this time around as there's a bit of squeaking. Probably better to upgrade to Brembo/EBC this time around.
The part number for the Euro spec air channel: 1T0805971

Better get it fixed OUTSIDE of ASC - you don't want warranty related problems for fitting "unauthorized" parts! It's a simple DIY actually, I fixed it myself in about 10 minutes.

The brake judder is owing to the absolutely HORRIBLE TVS Girling pads. I have the same issue on my Polo (Disc and pads changed at ASC less than 1000km ago), and am planning to change it soon to EBC/Brembo pads.

Last edited by vijaysrk : 3rd May 2024 at 23:45.
Old 6th May 2024, 20:22   #1175

Got my stock Goodyears replaced with Turanza 6i in the same size. Have driven around 300kms since and the initial impressions have been mixed. Tyre noise has gone so low I can hear engine grunt at lower rpms. The ride is much more planted, soft and cushioned and little potholes and speed breakers do not interrupt the cabin anymore. However, it comes at the expense of already heavy steering of Polo becoming heavier, and a severe drop of around 4 points in mileage reflected by MID (yet to verify via tankfull).

Looking forward to crossing the bed-in period. If these last gracefully over 50k kms, I think they're worth spending 2800 more, over Perfinzas.

These come with 3 years of unconditional warranty and 5 or 6 (i forgot) years of airing warranty. The stance hasn't changed much but they don't look as bland as stock Goodyears.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-tbhp1.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-tbhp2.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-tbhp3.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-tbhp4.jpg  

jijivishu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 20:31   #1176
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
and a severe drop of around 4 points in mileage reflected by MID (yet to verify via tankfull).
Do you mean the mileage has dropped by 4kmpl?? That's huge!
Old 11th May 2024, 19:59   #1177

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Carmed run by the Code6 guys are pretty good. They can help with the installation and also help source the big brake kit for your car. However, expect it to be expensive.

While installing the B6, an inspection will have to be conducted to understand the wear rate of the drop links and lower arms. Installing new mounts is necessary when swapping the old shocks for new ones, especially if the mounts have never been changed / upgraded in the recent past. Carmed should be able to source the replacement parts such as mounts, drop links and lower arms should you require it. However, they will need a few days notice to do the same, I’m assuming.
Thanks a ton for your suggestion. I discussed with them and decided I don't really need a big brake kit considering I don't drive aggressively or above 120 km/hr. I ended up replacing my stock rotors and pads with ATE ones though.

Regarding the suspension, I was advised to go for the B4s over B6s. B6s apparently would make the car impractical in city roads and their potential can only be fully exploited on speeds above 120 km/hr. I was told B4s would give me a noticeable improvement in handling and are bearable in city roads. I would like to hear other opinions on this. How unbearable are B6s compared to B4s in city roads? How much improvement will I get in handling with with B6s over B4s in speeds between 80 km/hr and 120 km/hr.
Old 12th May 2024, 09:33   #1178
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton for your suggestion. I discussed with them and decided I don't really need a big brake kit considering I don't drive aggressively or above 120 km/hr. I ended up replacing my stock rotors and pads with ATE ones though.

Regarding the suspension, I was advised to go for the B4s over B6s. B6s apparently would make the car impractical in city roads and their potential can only be fully exploited on speeds above 120 km/hr. I was told B4s would give me a noticeable improvement in handling and are bearable in city roads. I would like to hear other opinions on this. How unbearable are B6s compared to B4s in city roads? How much improvement will I get in handling with with B6s over B4s in speeds between 80 km/hr and 120 km/hr.
Brakes- I have EBS Yellow Stuff pads in front brakes. In a trip from Mumbai to Chandigarh and back, I felt the braking at high speeds was poor, requiring engine braking. Then while adjusting the rear drum brake pads for early engagement of the hand brake, the shoes were set to just touch the drums slightly. Here roughly how it should be (its a tad too tight- set it to touch a little lesser- barely to stop the spinning in a few more revolutions)-

The braking was superb with phenomenal bite and stopping force.

However, I thought this is an incorrect setting and wheel should spin freely. So I got it readjusted, but that dropped the brake performance. On searching the internet, it turned out that setting the shoes to just touch the drum is the correct setting! Upon applying the brakes, the rear drum brakes engage first, then the front disc brakes, so it is cruicial to get this setting right for 100% performance. By learning this through experiment, I've saved myself the outlay for big brake kits etc. The VW expert mechanics I visit are unaware of such settings.

As for Bilstiens, I'm running B12 and now that they and the bushes (OEM) have settled down, the ride is sublime. It's not harsh on Mumbai roads, so you'll be okay in most places in India.

Highway are a joy, and I don't miss the BMW 3s at all!

I've had B6 on a BMW F30 and they are good too. Not tried B4. I've test driven several suspensions in others cars- KW Sport, Cobra+Sachs etc. Bilstien was the best. B6 will be softer than B12 due to higher ride height and OEM springs.

Last edited by ais : 12th May 2024 at 09:44.
ais is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 12:09   #1179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynosure View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaysrk View Post
The part number for the Euro spec air channel: 1T0805971

Better get it fixed OUTSIDE of ASC - you don't want warranty related problems for fitting "unauthorized" parts! It's a simple DIY actually, I fixed it myself in about 10 minutes.
I got it fixed at the VW service centre itself, no questions asked. But while fixing it, the stupid technician yanked some connecter to get better access and ended up damaging some sensor causing the car to go into limp mode randomly. Since the car was new, the part was replaced under warranty but it was a headache. So better be present when the work is getting done.
Old 22nd May 2024, 13:34   #1180
BHPian

Can someone help me with the part numbers for dark green tinted glass (both front and rear door windows) of the Polo? Trying to source this for a 2014 GT TSi but ended up getting front dark green and rear light tint windows and my FNG is not able to get the correct parts.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 31st May 2024 at 21:13. Reason: Typos.
Old 22nd May 2024, 13:59   #1181
BHPian

Hello friends,

After a long wait and wide search, bought a pre-owned 2021 Polo HL+ TSI AT clocked 14K km. Major reason behind the purchase is solely to explore the full potential of the tiny TSI engine.

Have done Stage 2 ecu remap (ToT), custom downpipe (de-cat), performance stock replacement filter. There is significant improvement in turbo lag and outright acceleration.

Have questions regarding 2 aspects which I plan to do in future:

1-Racing Line turbo inlet - Is it worth? The difference in performance will be felt in turbo range or during the turbo spool or throughout the RPM range?
2-I am tempted to install the Pedal box pro by DTE (They claim that response time will be improved) but again is it worth? Any one installed/liked? Not sure if it is just a gimmick.
Old 31st May 2024, 19:14   #1182
BHPian

Almost 3 years and after 54,000 KMs later, she is gone. This was my first ever car purchase from the heart. Unfortunately had to let her go since my father needs a SUV (and I need a 4x4).

What a wonderful machine to own, absolutely enjoyed the ownership.

Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-0647dbd3d05e4dd08e1882db2e1aab7f.jpeg
sinharishi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st June 2024, 17:00   #1183
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByKaizen View Post

Have questions regarding 2 aspects which I plan to do in future:

1-Racing Line turbo inlet - Is it worth? The difference in performance will be felt in turbo range or during the turbo spool or throughout the RPM range?
2-I am tempted to install the Pedal box pro by DTE (They claim that response time will be improved) but again is it worth? Any one installed/liked? Not sure if it is just a gimmick.
Get the R-Line Turbo inlet. It’s a nice quality hardware item that works well to improve flow and adds a little drama (turbo sounds).

Skip the pedal box. The tune from ToT should be good enough and will do the job.

Quote:

B4 is a good compromise between handling and ride. I would also recommend B4 if you drive around in city roads predominantly.

B6 will make the ride a bit stiff for city driving but it will transform the car’s ride and handling on the highway and open roads. The difference is really night and day between the two, with the B6 offering significantly superior road holding and confidence while driving fast. But as mentioned earlier, the ride will suffer, and while it may not be unbearable, it can get a bit tiring on longer drives/commutes in the city especially.

So unless your driving is 80% on highways and open roads, I would always recommend OEM type replacement dampers like B4s or even Sachs.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st June 2024 at 17:08.
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2024, 19:42   #1184
BHPian

Quote:
VW's sub-par dealership & service experiences.
A common shortcoming listed in every thread of VW Ownership. I would like to share my experience of just how awesome VW dealers and service has been for me. For context, I've had dealings with 4 VW dealers.
1) VW Ludhiana - Purchased the car.
2) VW Panipat - Lived in Panipat for a year and got my service and some body work done here.
3) VW Bathinda - Been dealing with them since 2021 and for all the problems I've faced, my experience has been extremely pleasant. They've addressed all my doubts every time thoroughly and politely, did everything I asked and more - and twice for free (electronic checkup).
4) VW Chandigarh - Recently got my windshield replaced.

This post shall cover my experience with VW Chandigarh.

An unfortunate incident happened on Friday, 4PM. My car was parked in my office compound and a tree branch fell on the windshield leaving it destroyed.

Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-20240531_164710.jpg

Since it was something I could've done nothing about, as soon as I saw it I immediately sprung to action since it's a VW and I thought the windshield might not be in stock and may need to be ordered. So I contacted the nearest VW in Chandigarh to inquire about the windshield and they told me to bring the car on Monday and they'll have it ready for me on Tuesday. I decided to not claim insurance since the cost of repair was roughly breaking even with the increased premiums I would have had to pay.

On Monday, I called RSA at around 9:50 to get my car towed. By 10:30 the tow truck had arrived and I got a notification of my car arriving at the dealership by 11:10. So far so good. I had contacted the body shop and they confirmed the arrival of the car. I did not have to go to the shop for the work to commence. Just a couple more calls and the next call was today at 11 to collect my car. That's it. No visits, no payment so far and the work was done.

I went to collect my car, the damage of 9769 was done. The car was promptly cleaned inside and out. They had neatly removed and stored all my windshield stickers, reinstalled my dashcam without my having said so.

So all done over the phone within 24 hours and I just had to visit the place, only once, for payment and collection of the car. Absolutely wonderful and saved me a leave at the office.
RoadMonkey is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th June 2024, 21:13   #1185
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
A common shortcoming listed in every thread of VW Ownership. I would like to share my experience of just how awesome VW dealers and service has been for me.
Was this Dada Motors?

I have couple of dents in my Polo, located at Mumbai. I had a dent sorted from Modi VW, Thane. Superb service and immaculate repair job.

For the existing dents, which are minor, I'm thinking that since dents are inescapable in Mumbai, I'll get all done once I move back to Chandigarh. So if Chandigarh SC can do a perfect job, I'll prefer that.
ais is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks