Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2022, 18:41   #961
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review

Today, the Flanker celebartes a year with us. The car has been simply amazing and i have absolutely no complaints about the way it drives. Slowly, it became the trusted workhorse for me and my wife and the Vento is now enjoying some time off in the garage.

Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-polo2.jpg

Took this one 2 days after taking the delivery from Shaman Cars.

Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-polo3.jpg

Three VW's posing outside the lovely Parsi Dairy outlet at Talasari. It was a great catch up with fellow bhp-ians (and now good friends) @throttleflick and @itssoumya. We should definitely catch up to discuss more road trips.

Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-polo1.jpg

This pic is on a rainy day when me and wife were returning from Nashik and took a rather scenic route via Trimbak, Jawhar, Vikramgad. It was raining well and the car once again made me fall in love with it. It drove like a tank.

Special thanks to @sinharishi too for helping with a few things via DM.

Just taking a little bit longer to pen down my likes and dislikes about this beauty.

* Engine is superb, it just manages to make sure you get a smile when you put the foot down.
* PQ-25 platform. Simply amongst the best even if a little old.
* The seats are really comfortable and hence make long drives a breeze.
* AC cools tha cabin really quick and is a big help in Mumbai / Pune heat.
* The car feels planted even at 140 kmph (i went over the stipulated speed limit as i was focussed on the roads and not the speedo - removed the irritating beeps courtesy a fellow bhp-ian (drcodemyvw)

Dislikes:
* There is a clear difference in quality of doors when i compare this to the Vento. The rear doors on the Vento still shut with a reassuring thud (after close to 7 years).
* I installed a centre arm-rest (VW genuine accessory) but the flap's plastic hook broke off rendering it useless. The part is in short supply and the dealers tell me it will only be available post Jan 2023.

All in all, it has been an amzing year with the Flanker and am sure am going to enjoy driving this beauty.

Thanks for your patience guys!
sameer_vwagner is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 13:42   #962

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer_vwagner View Post
Today, the Flanker celebartes a year with us. The car has been simply amazing and i have absolutely no complaints about the way it drives. Slowly, it became the trusted workhorse for me and my wife and the Vento is now enjoying some time off in the garage.
There's one thing that fascinates me with the pictures of your car: What kind of paint is that? Does not look metallic at all. Looks very nice, have to admit. Thanks in advance.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th November 2022 at 13:54.
AnupamRoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 14:40   #963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnupamRoy View Post
There's one thing that fascinates me with the pictures of your car: What kind of paint is that? Does not look metallic at all. Looks very nice, have to admit. Thanks in advance.
Thanks Anupam! Its a Matt finish paint. This was a company offering and I did not get it filmed / painted from any other vendor. The Volkswagen name for this paint is Carbonsteel Matt.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th November 2022 at 22:01. Reason: formatting quoted post
sameer_vwagner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 11:45   #964
BHPian

So I've been hearing a lot about the dreaded ABS sensor failure in the Polo. One post from another thread mentions that VW has redesigned the sensor and should now be more reliable:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivekCherian View Post
GTO,

VW has released a new version of ABS sensors for the Polo / Vento / Ameo / Rapid recently. These ones, apparently, will fare better in our climatic conditions. However, only time will tell if that is indeed the case

The new part numbers are:

WHT003860B Front RH
WHT003861B Front LH
WHT003862C Rear RH
WHT003863C Rear LH

The sensors seem to be made in Belgium.
There are other posts on the internet that agree that the redesigned sensors do fare better.

Most of the ABS sensor failures seem to be attributed to water ingress into the sensor. But I'm a bit confused. If I'm right, the ABS sensor connectors are located under the rear seat (could be wrong about that). So what causes the water ingress?

More generally, what factors cause these ABS sensor failures? Is it just water ingress, or is there more to it? Just curious.

Hoping I don't have to experience the sensor failure personally to get an answer to this!

Last edited by vedirah : 1st December 2022 at 11:47.
vedirah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 22:20   #965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedirah View Post
So I've been hearing a lot about the dreaded ABS sensor failure in the Polo. One post from another thread mentions that VW has redesigned the sensor and should now be more reliable.....Most of the ABS sensor failures seem to be attributed to water ingress into the sensor.....If I'm right, the ABS sensor connectors are located under the rear seat (could be wrong about that). So what causes the water ingress?

More generally, what factors cause these ABS sensor failures? Is it just water ingress, or is there more to it?!
I don't think the ABS sensor connectors are located under the rear seat, but within each wheel well. It doesn't seem to be just water ingress, but I believe it is the dirt getting inside that is the bigger reason for failures.

That said, I am now looking at blown ABS sensors in 2 of my cars. My 2019 Octavia 1.8 TSi has had a failed front left sensor for the last month (not able to get it fixed since the dealer in Trivandrum has almost shut shop and I will need to now flat bed the car to EVM Skoda about 140 KMs away , but that's a story for another day!). I also got the ABS / TCS / TPMS warning lights in my 2020 Polo TSi just about 90 minutes ago. The sadder part is, both cars had other failed ABS sensors in the last 3 months .

Thankfully, all of this is being taken care of under warranty. But the time spent and effort put in is becoming really annoying now.
VivekCherian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 13:41   #966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishTks View Post
The Aftermarket Headlamps costed me around 25k without the HIDs.

Thank you.
Just love these aftermarket headlamps
I am looking for similer ones for my 2015 make GT. I am doudtfull these exact same would be compatible but I would still like to verify though. Kindly share the source from which these headlamps are purchased. Thanks
Old 5th December 2022, 13:56   #967
BHPian

Re: Help with my dream of owning a Polo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibi6613 View Post
(Mods: Not sure if this fit into any existing threads, hence started a new discussion; please feel free to move to a relevant thread if it already exists)

Hi all,

I have been dreaming about owning the little monster (GT TSI) as my first-ever car since I came across this beautifully narrated video by Powerdrift 8 years ago.

Any help/advice is much appreciated!
Looks like we are on the same boat. Atleast from the choices point of view. I have been also looking for a 1.0 Tsi manual and the prices are quite high(specially in Bangalore). However here are a couple of things I am keeping in mind -
1. Try to make sure its not accidental.
2. Look for a stock car
3. Get the service history of the vehicle
4. While at it make sure the car is still under warranty
5. Get it checked at the service center if possible

A reasonable deal on Spinny or Cars24 for Polo doesn't seem to last for more than a couple of hours in Bangalore.
Old 5th December 2022, 23:42   #968
BHPian

Re: Help with my dream of owning a Polo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline Shooter View Post
A reasonable deal on Spinny or Cars24 for Polo doesn't seem to last for more than a couple of hours in Bangalore.
Yuppp! And this is why I stopped looking at those sites everyday. Hoping that prices come down a bit at least next year.
Old 11th December 2022, 01:07   #969

Quote:
So I've been hearing a lot about the dreaded ABS sensor failure in the Polo
Yeah same here. I've heard from a 2019 Highline plus Diesel owner who's only driven about 12,000 kms. His car has thrown him ABS sensor errors which resulted in him visiting the service center multiple times.

The other ABS failure I heard of is a 2021 GT TSI and he got the sensor replaced and no problem since.

Our 2013 i20 diesel used to throw ABS warnings time to time and the scary bit was the ABS not working even when there was no error. Initially the symptoms would go away from simply cleaning the sensor but then later it warranted replacement. A bit off topic but the vehicle speed sensor also had it's electrical contact points corroded according to the local FNG (this resulted in scary moments of extremely light EPS steering as if the car was a boat)

My Polo TSI has around 7,000 kms on the odo and no such problems yet with the ABS. However it developed a brake shuddering issue rather spontaneously at around 5000kms which became worse (also a common issue I heard??). Got the rotors phased at service and they're okay (for now). Car drives straight so didn't get an alignment done yet (tyre rotation at 5k kms).

Come to think of it ABS sensor failures probably are due to the weather here (I live in Mangalore) with moisture, salts, dust and dirt. It would be nice to know how to prevent such failures from occurring especially those without warning on the dashm
Chaman K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 23:41   #970
BHPian

Has anyone installed 8k ops in their Polo?
My wife (who's primary car the Polo is), has poor left front clearance. Second time in a year she has managed to bang it there. This time on a small partially cut tree stump. Unfortunately the damage done is that, the bumper along with the skid plate and mounts gets broken and has to be replaced.
I am sure front sensors will help, just wondering about the cost involved and a place to get it done in Pune.

Last edited by Amsdoc : 11th December 2022 at 23:47.
Old 12th December 2022, 00:36   #971
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdoc View Post
Has anyone installed 8k ops in their Polo?
My wife (who's primary car the Polo is), has poor left front clearance. Second time in a year she has managed to bang it there. This time on a small partially cut tree stump. Unfortunately the damage done is that, the bumper along with the skid plate and mounts gets broken and has to be replaced.
I am sure front sensors will help, just wondering about the cost involved and a place to get it done in Pune.
Yes I have installed it on my car.

The kit by itself will cost around 15-20k and add 5-10k depending on the labour cost of install and the kind of work done. Since you are in Pune, I would suggest to contact N2AutoTech (84120 53484), I'm not aware of their current pricing but they do a good job sourcing the parts and installation.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 09:43   #972
BHPian

The stock Goodyear assurance triplemax tyre got a slight sidewall bulge which I happened to notice today while washing the car. Now I'm thinking of replacing the tyres. My priorities are as below in this order:

1. High speed handling and stability
2. Wet grip
3. Braking performance
3. Road noise

I want to keep the stock size (195/55R16). What are my best options? I'm slightly leaning towards Continental UC6, but then there's Michelin P4ST and also Yoko Advan Sport AS01. Please help me pick the right tyres. Am I missing some other good options as well?
vedirah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 13:55   #973
BHPian

Quote:
The stock Goodyear assurance triplemax tyre got a slight sidewall bulge which I happened to notice today while washing the car. Now I'm thinking of replacing the tyres. My priorities are as below in this order:

2. Wet grip
3. Braking performance
3. Road noise

I want to keep the stock size (195/55R16). What are my best options? I'm slightly leaning towards Continental UC6, but then there's Michelin P4ST and also Yoko Advan Sport AS01. Please help me pick the right tyres. Am I missing some other good options as well?
If you're able to get P4STs now, get that eyes closed. The wet & dry grip and braking is amazing. Currently have that on my car since the last 6-7k KMs. Had the UC6 for about 3K KMs before that since delivery. They're good, but not as good as the P4STs.
nerd1200 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 14:30   #974
BHPian

Quote:
2. Wet grip
3. Braking performance
3. Road noise

I Am I missing some other good options as well?
MRF perfinza, they have really good reviews here on Tbhp by many members including by one member who has used them on octavia RS. Search for them on our forum and read the reviews and then decide.
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 20:45   #975
ais
BHPian

Check out the performance of DHC 4300K bulbs in reflector headlights. This is real world performance, not a promotional video shot in a dark street. The road markers and vehicles ahead are illuminated so brightly by my cars light that it seems all other vehicles have their headlights off! When the high beam is switched on, see the overhead signboard light up. Then on the right curve, the trees and the wall too. Driving with total confidence!

Just waiting for an Eibach sway bar to be installed before posting a thread on all mods done.

Music system has gone through 3 upgrades, finally settling for Kenwood DMX8020S Hi Res Headunit (24/32 bit- 192 KBPS), Helix M6 DSP Amp for front 3 way active speakers (ATI Larinet- these are superb, superb), Hammertech Amp for rear ATI coaxial speakers and JL Audio shallow 10" Subwoofer. Full details with cost to be given in upcoming thread, but this is more of a Stop Press message for anyone considering an audio upgrade. Music source is Tidal through wired Android Auto, passed un downsampled by Android using UAPP app (which also displays the resolution of track being played). This I feel sounds better than Tidal through IPhone and CarPlay.

Last edited by ais : 13th December 2022 at 20:48.
ais is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks