Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2022, 13:57   #436
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz : Official Review

A friend recently picked up the Altroz XT (P) and I got my hands on it for a short drive. The streets outside my gated community is either wet and slushy or dry with a myriad undulations of various sizes (mud roads) due to underground drainage work for a good half km.

I was expecting a noisy engine given the fact that Tata has done little do improve on NVH but was pleasantly surprised. The gearshifts were fairly smooth and the clutch, light. The car didn't bottom out or scrape the underside anywhere, thanks to the stiff suspension. It also rode on 195/R16s. Out on the main road, I wanted to see how underpowered it felt, but it picked up to 70kmph in no time. What also surprised me was how stiff the steering felt in comparison to the lightness it had on the slow stretch. Took a U-turn and tried accelerating again to 80 kmph. Found a mild weak spot where the car hesitated a split second around 3200-3500 rpm and that was the only chink I could find in the relatively brief drive.

The seats are larger than my Vista and the car is wider too. Didn't have a look at the boot though. I didn't like the silver dashboard applique although my friend loves it. Had cruise control, voice activated ACC and other features. The 90⁰ door opening is a bit of a stretch (4 stop) compared to the 3 stop in mine. The car cost him a shade under 9L on road with extended warranty, B2B insurance with engine protect, RSA, RTI etc.

This was infact my first Petrol Tata drive in over two decades, the previous being the lethargic Tata Indica. As a city runaround, the non-turbo version makes a strong case for itself.
discoverwild is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 13:10   #437
Distinguished - BHPian

After the Tiago & the Tigor, Tata Motors is now prepping iCNG variants of the Altroz.

Expected to be introduced from the XM variant onwards, with fairly decent kit on offer. Pricing should start from near the 7.50L ex-showroom mark.
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 15:52   #438
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
After the Tiago & the Tigor, Tata Motors is now prepping iCNG variants of the Altroz.
Expected to be introduced from the XM variant onwards, with fairly decent kit on offer. Pricing should start from near the 7.50L ex-showroom mark.
TaMo waited too long while Suzuki made gold selling CNG variants of any car they wished.

Finally Tata is bringing CNG versions of the workhorse cars in PV - when CNG prices are nearing that of diesel! Of course diesel cars are fewer now and quite costly, I am not sure if Tata will win big in this bet. The reduced boot, costly CNG and less filling network outside of towns coupled together with sticker price higher than the petrol variant of the same car - might be a bit of a deterrent for buyers.

Nonetheness - having a variant is definitely better than not having one. A simple point that TaMo forgot when launching the Safari - without AWD/4x4 .
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 15:35   #439

Heard some Altrozians are going for engine tuning/ remapping. Any bhpians with experience?

Last edited by MasterFoxD : 30th September 2022 at 15:50.
Old 20th October 2022, 19:56   #440

Getting delivery of my Altoz this Dhanteras. Went for PDI today, found out that only one lamp(Left Side) lights up on the tail light when the reverse gear is engaged. The one on the right side is just a dummy. Checked all the other Altroz, it was same on everyone.

Fellow T-Bhpians who owns Altroz, can you please let me know if this is the case with the new model or is it the same on the earlier model too?
Old 20th October 2022, 20:33   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srict_Lord View Post
Getting delivery of my Altoz this Dhanteras. Went for PDI today, found out that only one lamp(Left Side) lights up on the tail light when the reverse gear is engaged. The one on the right side is just a dummy. Checked all the other Altroz, it was same on everyone.

Fellow T-Bhpians who owns Altroz, can you please let me know if this is the case with the new model or is it the same on the earlier model too?
It's always been like that, and indeed not a feature unique to Altroz. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ing-light.html (Why do some cars have a single reversing light???)
Nikhil Beke is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 15:46   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srict_Lord View Post

Yes its not a fault but its meant to be like that.

Also lately I have been facing this recurrent issue with my Altroz. Every other day when I lock the car, it triggers the parametric alarm or honks once even if all the four doors, hatch and bonnet are closed and windows are rolled up. It doesn't let you lock the car properly. And after 2-3 hours it triggers the panic alarm by itself. One has to go unlock-lock the car again. This has become quite annoying considering the alarm triggers at odd hours at times. When i looked up online, a few channels on youtube suggested to unplug the switch under the bonnet for alarm. I am not sure i want to do that.
Has anyone else faced this same issue?
Old 26th October 2022, 13:52   #443

Personally, I haven't had this issue. But on the other hand, I've had another problem: as if though needing to replace the key-fob cell every year was not enough, at times, the door request switch simply refuses to acknowledge requests. One time I got inside with the unlock button on key fob (somehow that worked) and tried engine start, with the key on the central console cupholder area (the place that is supposed to detect key), but cluster display was showing no-key-detected warning. Then I had to press Start button multiple times and then somehow it detected and started. And this is with a brand new cell inside the fob.

On another note, had one other observation. Earlier, Cruise control used to be in Enabled mode even after ISS killed the engine and resumed. These days, I notice that Cruise is disabled after an ISS enabled restart. Some ECM update has messed up the functionality. Anybody else noticed this? Its rather cumbersome on highways having signals.
Old 7th November 2022, 17:12   #444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil Beke View Post
It's always been like that, and indeed not a feature unique to Altroz. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ing-light.html (Why do some cars have a single reversing light???)
Thanks a lot Nikhil for clarifying this. I have been driving for quite some time now, I wonder how I never noticed this. Seems like Tata started this practise recently, my friend's BS IV Tiago has no dummy light, same case with my BS VI Amaze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline Shooter View Post
Also lately I have been facing this recurrent issue with my Altroz. Every other day when I lock the car, it triggers the parametric alarm or honks once even if all the four doors, hatch and bonnet are closed and windows are rolled up. It doesn't let you lock the car properly. And after 2-3 hours it triggers the panic alarm by itself. One has to go unlock-lock the car again. This has become quite annoying considering the alarm triggers at odd hours at times.
Have had the car with me for only 2 weeks as of now, haven't faced any such issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterFoxD View Post
On another note, had one other observation. Earlier, Cruise control used to be in Enabled mode even after ISS killed the engine and resumed. These days, I notice that Cruise is disabled after an ISS enabled restart. Some ECM update has messed up the functionality. Anybody else noticed this? Its rather cumbersome on highways having signals.
For me the cruse control isn't reset when ISS comes into play, it's only reset if I use the Start/Stop Buton.
Old 8th November 2022, 17:38   #445
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine took delivery of Altroz yesterday evening and not very far he went by, the petrol started leaking, infact pumping out.

Towed to service centre and got fixed today. Diagnosed to be a fuel pipe loose issue.

What an unfortunate situation to go through on day 1 of purchasing a new car.

Though the issue looks simple, the gravity of it is not so. It could have triggered even a fire.
balenoed_ is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 12:02   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterFoxD View Post
Personally, I haven't had this issue. But on the other hand, I've had another problem: as if though needing to replace the key-fob cell every year was not enough, at times, the door request switch simply refuses to acknowledge requests. One time I got inside with the unlock button on key fob (somehow that worked) and tried engine start, with the key on the central console cupholder area (the place that is supposed to detect key), but cluster display was showing no-key-detected warning. Then I had to press Start button multiple times and then somehow it detected and started. And this is with a brand new cell inside the fob.
I have faced the issue with the request sensor. Did a little digging and seems like it happens only when a mobile phone is kept close to the key while pressing the request sensor. At that point it wont detect the key. Say you are holding the key and the phone in the same hand while approaching the door

Alarm issue update - I did a little digging. Turns out that the issue was indeed the alarm button under the hood. That needs to be adjusted so that it is always pushed on when the hood is closed.

Last edited by Redline Shooter : 11th November 2022 at 12:05.
Old 11th November 2022, 16:50   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
A friend of mine took delivery of Altroz yesterday evening and not very far he went by, the petrol started leaking, infact pumping out.

Towed to service centre and got fixed today. Diagnosed to be a fuel pipe loose issue.

What an unfortunate situation to go through on day 1 of purchasing a new car.

Though the issue looks simple, the gravity of it is not so. It could have triggered even a fire.
I agree. This is unacceptable in a brand new car. This is a serious safety problem. Imagine your friend taking delivery and going home (unaware of the leak) around Diwali (which wasn't too far ago) when people are bursting crackers on the streets!
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 19:40   #448
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
I agree. This is unacceptable in a brand new car. This is a serious safety problem. Imagine your friend taking delivery and going home (unaware of the leak) around Diwali (which wasn't too far ago) when people are bursting crackers on the streets!
With such a heavy leak - I believe the engine would not have received sufficient fuel supply during acceleration and would have stuttered. The car wouldn't have traveled much distance.

The issue of course is sad, just putting the risks in context.
Old 19th November 2022, 10:46   #449
BHPian

Hi all!

I have booked Altroz Diesel XZ+ DARK edition and will be taking delivery next week.
After googling about maintenance of DARK color, all the options suggested were expensive like PPF which costs almost 10% of car's value.

Is it really worth and necessary to get this done?

I am not able to digest these prices especially when you can get your complete car repainted 3-4 times in that sum.

Also, apart from white and gold all shades on offer for Altroz are equally dark / sensitive as the #DARK edition, if what I feel.

So want to know how your cars are doing over the period, in terms of paint?
Please also mention if you have done any paint protection treatment.
Old 2nd December 2022, 12:28   #450

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Hi all!

I have booked Altroz Diesel XZ+ DARK edition and will be taking delivery next week.
After googling about maintenance of DARK color, all the options suggested were expensive like PPF which costs almost 10% of car's value.

Is it really worth and necessary to get this done?

I am not able to digest these prices especially when you can get your complete car repainted 3-4 times in that sum.

Also, apart from white and gold all shades on offer for Altroz are equally dark / sensitive as the #DARK edition, if what I feel.

So want to know how your cars are doing over the period, in terms of paint?
Please also mention if you have done any paint protection treatment.
Hi Buddy, Did you take the delivery of the Altroz? Please share some pictures, would love to see them!

I dont have a first hand experience of getting a PPF coating or ceramic coating done. But from what I have seen in the reviews, they last for about 5 years! I also heard about warranties being offered for 5 years. I am sure the PPF coating helps avoiding minor scratches, which is great, as most cases are minor and these minor scratches are the ones that makes the car look dull. It also helps in keeping the shine. I have a Ciaz and I want to get a PPF coating done, but as you said, the cost is prohibitive!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks