Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2021, 15:26   #361
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
Why don't you consider the TATA Punch then? The features are basically the same between the cars and additionally you get a good ground clearance, moreover the car looks good too.
Thanks for your response. The interiors seemed a little too dull for my liking. Also, the exterior design, specially the rear, was not to my liking.

Last edited by vb-saan : 8th November 2021 at 11:24. Reason: Quote tags fixed
Old 8th November 2021, 09:24   #362
BHPian

Sorry if I’m late to the party: I briefly drove an Altroz for the first time yesterday with the NA petrol engine. With just me in the car, it feels fine. It isn't exciting or anything, but I won't call it underpowered with that load. I do, however, suspect that if there are 4 people or 3 + luggage, it will feel sluggish. For what it is worth, the power delivery does feel linear.

The official review says that the clutch has short travel range. I found that the clutch (though light) goes very deep after the biting point. (Maybe I have misunderstood or I’m just wrong.) That might get annoying, or you might just get used to never fully depressing it. The biting point is easy enough to find. I can’t quite recollect but the gear felt a little rubbery. None of this is too big a complaint though.

But the suspension, ride and handling are mighty impressive, to say the least! Feels like a much more expensive car. It seems to have great aerodynamics too. I can't imagine how wonderful it must feel on the highway (with the better engines, of course). It is composed and exciting, if that combination makes sense.

Engine and tyre noise does get into the cabin, but again, I can’t claim to have any major grievance with that. The cabin feels rather nice, although it is no Hyundai.

I wonder if Tata can somehow defy the laws of physics and retain the same dynamics while increasing ground clearance a smidge.

It seems like such a good package overall- spacious too. Were I in the market for a car, I probably will not mind going really slowly through major potholes/ big speed-breakers if I get to enjoy these driving dynamics. I’ll pay a lakh or two less than a similarly-equipped trim of the Nexon/ XUV300 for the dynamics and higher fuel efficiency of this car, while making a compromise on the powertrain. The XUV300 has nearly 100L boot-space too. I wonder also if Tata can also offer a little more underbody protection towards the front of the engine bay in the Altroz.

For perspective: I drive a pre-facelift 2017 1.3L S-Cross.
naadopaasaka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 10:51   #363
BHPian

Quote:
With just me in the car, it feels fine. It isn't exciting or anything, but I won't call it underpowered with that load. I do, however, suspect that if there are 4 people or 3 + luggage, it will feel sluggish.
I had this exact suspicion as well: wanted to decide between this and iturbo (a good 90k premium over NA petrol in Pune). Ended up taking a test drive with 5 family members (4 adults+1toddler) and a sales executive (all average sized adults). Even drove over a flyover with everyone aboard. To my surprise, the performance didn't suffer much- provided one shifts gears a little late (I currently drive a Hyundai Eon- so didn't feel a lot different). I surmise that the car is hefty enough- a further weight addition might not demand much extra out of the engine . To be honest though, these comparisons are strictly for city travels, and from POV of someone who is used to driving his car for going from point A to point B (a sedate driver- not an enthusiast's perspective). Also, as I have driven the car only for a test-drive distance, not sure how the fuel economy, engine health etc may suffer with such relatively frequent gear shifts.
I keep hearing Altroz iturbo is a 'better Altroz': would like to know how far true this is, for someone who's not craving for performance, but is primarily going to use the car for city commutes and a fortnightly highway drives.

PS: Simply loved the diesel! But don't have adequate monthly running to justify diesel, nor are my driving patterns/ stop-and-go city commutes a good fit for keeping DPF happy, as cleared by this phenomenal thread. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-engineer.html (All your questions about DPF & BS6 Diesel answered by a Diesel Calibration Engineer)

Last edited by Nikhil Beke : 8th November 2021 at 10:58.
Nikhil Beke is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 14:01   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil Beke View Post
To my surprise, the performance didn't suffer much- provided one shifts gears a little late (I currently drive a Hyundai Eon- so didn't feel a lot different). [/url]
There is mature, boring, conservative, wise part of me which constantly makes the argument that if I think the performance is good simply because I know no better, what do I have to lose by picking a sluggish car? That is, of course, subject to the rider that I am not weak enough to get pushed into a rash or imprudent decision shortly after the purchase simply because tasted blood by droving a Polo or a more peppy car. Fortunately, I am not on the market for a new car, but these considerations may help take a decision.

Also, the ₹90,000 increment is a cash flow thing. Maybe if you look at the total cost of ownership considering mileage, repairs/ maintenance, resale value and purchase cost, the position will change.

Did you test the NA petrol on the highway? Do so in any case if you haven't. Did you drive the iTurbo? How different was it?
Old 8th November 2021, 14:45   #365
BHPian

Quote:
if I think the performance is good simply because I know no better, what do I have to lose by picking a sluggish car?
There's always this battle between 'Good' and 'Good enough', isn't it

Quote:
Maybe if you look at the total cost of ownership considering mileage, repairs/ maintenance, resale value and purchase cost, the position will change.
Of course: I am not factoring in the fuel efficiency that would drop drastically once the turbo is driven harder, additional maintenance with Turbo, and the special precautions(read inconvenience?) like mandatory idling after the start and stops. I understand that iTurbo is a more expensive vehicle to maintain/own.

Quote:
Did you test the NA petrol on the highway? Do so in any case if you haven't. Did you drive the iTurbo? How different was it?
Found iTurbo pretty impressive for the highway runs. Makes overtakes lot easier- one doesn't really had to plan a lot for same. Engine does get noisy when driven hard. Rest of the highway dynamics are the same as the NA petrol.

So the dilemma isn't as simple as I thought, is it?

Last edited by Nikhil Beke : 8th November 2021 at 14:46.
Nikhil Beke is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 15:17   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Of course: I am not factoring in the fuel efficiency that would drop drastically once the turbo is driven harder, additional maintenance with Turbo, and the special precautions(read inconvenience?) like mandatory idling after the start and stops. I understand that iTurbo is a more expensive vehicle to maintain/own.
I don't think the drop in FE will be significantly different in the NA Altroz and the iTurbo Altroz when driven harder.

Also - technically the idling at start and stop, is not a practice exclusive to turbo-charged engines. I for that matter idle even my 150CC bike and NA Alto at cold starts, not just my turbo cars (in which I follow the idle at stop rule more religiously than the bike of course). Also - hardly any owners really follow this idling rule out there, even my own family folks. All seem to be doing fine since decades with turbo engines and never faced issues!

Last edited by Reinhard : 8th November 2021 at 15:18.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 15:36   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I don't think the drop in FE will be significantly different in the NA Altroz and the iTurbo Altroz when driven harder.
Tata's 1.2 N/A returns poor efficiency when pushed hard, when compared to Maruti's 1.2 N/A. The iturbo will only be worse.

PS: I pushed my Altroz 1.5 diesel really hard and it just won't return anything lesser than 17 kmpl.

If fuel efficiency is important, one must get the diesel.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 16:06   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Tata's 1.2 N/A returns poor efficiency when pushed hard, when compared to Maruti's 1.2 N/A. The iturbo will only be worse.

PS: I pushed my Altroz 1.5 diesel really hard and it just won't return anything lesser than 17 kmpl.

If fuel efficiency is important, one must get the diesel.
Yes is so true. I remember discussing this with Reinhard previously too. My fiesta 1.6 gave me 8-8.5 for a hard spirited drive of 48kms. Altroz 1.5 gives 17+ with exactly the same driving pattern. Fiesta a bit more aggressive in the corners though.
Old 8th November 2021, 17:27   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Ah, but IMHO, let's just restrict ourselves to comparing FEs in turbo vs NA petrol in Altroz, when both are driven hard. Is the fall in FE comparable, or iturbo fares significantly poorly(as is the norm with other turbo petrols?) Maruti doesn't have a 1.2turbo (thankfully!) to compare, so that point is quite moot.

Last edited by Nikhil Beke : 8th November 2021 at 17:30.
Old 8th November 2021, 17:56   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ah, but IMHO, let's just restrict ourselves to comparing FEs in turbo vs NA petrol in Altroz, when both are driven hard. Is the fall in FE comparable, or iturbo fares significantly poorly(as is the norm with other turbo petrols?) .
I would agree with BHPian Reinhard here. The difference in fuel efficiency when driven hard will not be significant between petrol N/A and iturbo. But iturbo will definitely return 1-2 kmpl lesser.

My point is, what difference would 11 kmpl and 10 kmpl make!!? Both figures are poor. When you have to live with such figures, you shall rather have some fun with it by opting for the iturbo.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 8th November 2021 at 17:57.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 12:55   #371
BHPian

TATA has reshuffled Altroz variants again.
XM and XE Rhytm have been discontinued and XE+ has been introduced between XE and XM+ variants.
XE+ gets Electric temperature control in addition to the now discontinued XE Rhytm features.
pradeep_mvpa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 19:56   #372
FHW
BHPian

Ex-Showroom prices of Altroz have been increased by around Rs 5500/-
FHW is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 21:01   #373
FHW
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHW View Post
Ex-Showroom prices of Altroz have been increased by around Rs 5500/-
Prices increased by 4000 - 11000 in November 2021.

Tata Altroz : Official Review-screenshot_20211124202910_youtube_vanced.png

Prices Ex Showroom Delhi

XE Rhythm and XM variants have been discontinued.
XE+ has been introduced.

Source
FHW is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 16:00   #374
BHPian

I have a question for both NA petrol & iTurbo owners regarding the fuel economy, especially for owners driving regularly in city commutes and through peak time traffic in metro's. What is the fuel economy you usually get? (measured through tank-to-tank and not the MID, since MID is never 100% accurate[right?]).

The FE factor might be the only consideration between these variants when I am on the lookout for a new car early next year and the Altroz is bound to be high on the list of options.

Last edited by chaksjr : 25th November 2021 at 16:25.
chaksjr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 23:57   #375
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a close look at the new Electronic manual AC Control unit introduced in the XE+ (Base) & XM+ (Base+1) variants of the rejigged Altroz lineup, courtesy AutoTrend. Looks premium and better than the earlier 3-knob setup.

The XM+ also gets a 4-speaker sound system, instead of the earlier 2-speaker setup. Rest remains the same as before.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks