Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2020, 18:31   #1336
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Yes exactly. Put 32 psi all around while the tyre is cold and once you hit the highway it will rise upto 35-36 which should be perfect for highway. This is what I do generally and it works out quite well. If you're to encounter lot of broken patches, even 31 psi in front would just be fine too to provide a bit of cushioning. Only flip side is when the tyre is back to cold condition, you'll be hovering around the value (29-30) that'll trigger TPMS warning.

Have a great drive and Safe Journey !
Worked like a charm.

So guys 10k km service on my diesel due tomorrow.

Is it recommended to switch to Synthetic oil? If yes what's the recommended grade and brand?
Old 4th October 2020, 19:32   #1337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes exactly. Put 32 psi all around while the tyre is cold and once you hit the highway it will rise upto 35-36 which should be perfect for highway...

If you're to encounter lot of broken patches, even 31 psi in front would just be fine too to provide a bit of cushioning.

That is dangerous advice. Please do not underinflate tyres for highway drives. You could land up with a burst tyre. Additionally lowering it further for bad stretches will result in tyres getting torn from sharp stones.

When you travel on the highway the tyre pressure should be about 1-2 psi higher than normal so that tyres don't overheat and burst.

Reducing tyre pressure to compensate for suspension stiffness can be hazardous. It can be attempted in the city for short runs where the tyres don't heat up and low speeds are maintained and even then it isn't advisable.

Tyre pressure during driving would vary extensively and depends on a lot of factors - the stress it has been subjected to, ambient temperature, road surface temperature, cornering speeds, braking effort, speeds at which potholes are taken, load in the car etc and a lot more. This is why only cold temperature is recommended - ideally air pressure should be checked within 2 kms of starting a drive.
AMG Power is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 21:08   #1338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Please do not underinflate tyres for highway drives. You could land up with a burst tyre. Additionally lowering it further for bad stretches will result in tyres getting torn from sharp stones.

When you travel on the highway the tyre pressure should be about 1-2 psi higher than normal so that tyres don't overheat and burst.

Tyre pressure during driving would vary extensively and depends on a lot of factors - the stress it has been subjected to, ambient temperature, road surface temperature, cornering speeds, braking effort, speeds at which potholes are taken, load in the car etc and a lot more. This is why only cold temperature is recommended - ideally air pressure should be checked within 2 kms of starting a drive.
I'm getting your points and where you're coming from.

At what point do we call it as under inflation( in terms of PSI)? I suggested 32 psi while in cold condition where as the recommended PSI by Kia is 35. I'm not sure if 32 can be termed as serious under inflation, a 28-29 PSI should be. At 32 psi cold condition, once the tyre heats up the PSI reaches 36-37 which in fact is just 2 psi lower than the levels it would touch if one were to fill 35 in cold condition. But filling 35 psi in cold condition would mean it touches 39-40 once the car hits the highway. On a very hot day like a 40°C, it could rise even further as the roads are much hotter too.

That's the premise on which I felt 32 is a good balance keeping such variables in mind. I've not dived very deep into this subject. All the points you mentioned are in fact very valid and agreeable, more so when we really border on serious under inflation values.

But this is what I've been following for years and worked just fine. All my tyres(Michelin) over the years never faced any issue owing to under inflation or had any bearing on the tyre life either. I always get 65-75K kms of life(till the tread wear limit button) out of them every time. May be I'm currently on my 10th or 11th set of Michelins, all cars combined.

Regarding tyre getting torn on bad roads, I feel it can occur when there's a higher psi than normal. Psi values that are a tad lower can be a good balance between going too high nor too low in such cases too.

Besides, the 35 PSI( cold condition) recommended by Kia is a bit on the higher side I feel and practically not very liveable at all with the type of suspension set up it has. One would have premature suspension overhaul if you run it with effectively at 38-39 psi bulk of the time.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 4th October 2020 at 21:32.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 21:11   #1339
BHPian

Quote:
. At 32 psi cold condition, once the tyre heats up the PSI reaches 36-37 which in fact is 2 psi above the recommended level. But filling 35 psi in cold condition would mean it touch 39-40 once the car hits the highway. On a very hot day, it could rise even further.
Manufacturer recommended pressure is ALWAYS cold tyre pressure.
Added_flavor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 17:31   #1340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

At what point do we call it as under inflation( in terms of PSI)?
Tyre pressure recommended by Korean and Japanese manufacturers are always spot on and you will not have room to alter them. These tyre pressures are calibrated under Asian / Tropical / Indian conditions so they are accurate.

In the case of European manufacturers (especially new entrants into India) there would be some room to vary as the calibration would have been under European conditions.

In this case, if it's 35 stick to 35 and increase it to 36 for highway but do not go below 35 for the highway. Do not go below 35 for bad roads either but drive slower if you cannot handle the ride.

The Seltos suspension has a sporty tune so it will be hard and you will have to learn to live with that. A reduction to 34 can be done for city but 33 would be underinflation and 32 and below would be HAZARDOUS especially as it's a fast car.
AMG Power is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 19:48   #1341

Newcomer looking for some advise on buying his first car here. So here's the story:

Currently parents own a 2010 Hyundai i10 Kappa 1.2 Petrol maintained in great condition that still gets the job done. Due to the very low seating height, parents want to swap it for a new one. After test driving multiple vehicles including Kia Seltos (Both D & 1.4 TP), XUV 500, Harrier, my parents seem to like Kia the best. It will primarily be driven by a driver with me taking the wheel whenever I am available. The thing is I'm not in India very often so it's going to be mostly the driver driving the vehicle. The variant selected has been the 1.4 GTX+ MT Dual Tone. Here are the main things I feel I should highlight:

1) Running is expected to very low. For reference, the i10 has done just 50k in 10 years.
2) I'm a petrol head who loves pushing the car to the limit. But is it worth splashing the cash for a turbo petrol that I'll drive maybe 10 times a year? Should I opt for a lower spec petrol engine instead?
3) This is probably a stupid question but when do you pay? I'm going full cash upfront. I know we pay a token amount to book the car, but when do you do the actual payment? And how do I do it, being an NRI who can't return to India now ? Is it safe to just NEFT such a large amount to the dealership (ARAS Kia Tirunelveli)? How do I send them payment confirmation? Do they only allot the car after full payment?
4) Since I won't be taking delivery, my cousin will do it. The one thing I've asked him to do straight away is to swap the Goodyears for something else. What do you guys suggest?
5) No offers being provided. The dealership is not even allowing me to get insurance outside. I can't get NCB since this is going to be the first car registered to me.

Advise will be much appreciated guys. Let me know if there's something else I should know.
Old 7th October 2020, 00:34   #1342
BHPian

Does anyone have an idea of the current waiting time for the Seltos?

I had booked an HTX aurora black on 20th of September (Pune) and was given an delivery ETA of 30 days.

Its been over two weeks now with no update on allocation. Showroom staff have said that it can now take around 45 days. Which seems a bit excessive.

Any way i can escalate this?
Old 7th October 2020, 02:02   #1343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokuljayaraj View Post
Newcomer looking for some advise on buying his first car here. So here's the story:

Currently parents own a 2010 Hyundai i10 Kappa 1.2 Petrol maintained in great condition that still gets the job done. Due to the very low seating height, parents want to swap it for a new one.
The 1.5 petrol is sufficient for both your and your family’s needs. That engine is no slouch either. I have driven one in a sedate manner. The low end is impressive in city driving conditions. There are some videos on YouTube where that engine and it’s potential is well explored/exploited by the reviewer on a highway.
Regarding the insurance issue, tell them sternly you would buy the car from some other dealer. They should oblige.
Michelin would be my choice of tyres. Xm2+ or Primacy 4st.
If your choice of colour is rare, delivery would take 2 to 3 months after you book. Pay ₹25000 to book.
when the car reaches the dealer stock yard, do your pdi and once satisfied,make the payment. Your cars vin no. is stated in the invoice.
If by chance 1.5 Petrol and your colour is readily available, ask your cousin to be pro active. Send him for pdi, clarify all your doubts. Don’t trust sales people to give you a seemless experience.
I don’t know what all features you are looking for, my advice is to stick with htk or htk+ variants in your case. Good luck.

Last edited by Sheel : 7th October 2020 at 08:10. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
greendream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 07:51   #1344

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendream View Post
The 1.5 petrol is sufficient for both your and your family’s needs. That engine is no slouch either. I have driven one in a sedate manner. The low end is impressive in city driving conditions. There are some videos on YouTube where that engine and it’s potential is well explored/exploited by the reviewer on a highway.
Regarding the insurance issue, tell them sternly you would buy the car from some other dealer. They should oblige.
Michelin would be my choice of tyres. Xm2+ or Primacy 4st.
I’ll read up a bit more on the 1.5 Petrol variants. One of the reasons to go with the 1.4 besides being the fun to drive factor is that the HT variants seem to lack the full safety kit of the GT variants. Safety is an absolute priority for me and I need the six airbags at-least. I don’t see the brochure mentioning six airbags in any HT line variant unfortunately. The Kia brochure is useless with no tabular feature comparison available. Another think I’d like input on is the quality of sound system on the lower variants which do not have the BOSE sound system.

Another thing I’m a bit confused on is whether there will be problems with registering the car in my name when I’m not present in person at the RTO. I would hope not. Thanks for your input.

Last edited by Sheel : 7th October 2020 at 08:10. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Old 7th October 2020, 13:09   #1345
BHPian

2020 has turned out to be a year when my Activa has clocked more kilometers than my Seltos GTX+ DCT. After purchasing it in January this year, I have clocked less than 5k kilometers but I absolutely hate the low speed ride quality on this car with the recommended 35 PSI on OE tyres. Infact, I have stopped liking the car due to this. Last week reduced the air pressure to 30 PSI on all tyres and witnessed much better low speed ride quality (not ideal but livable). Does changing to Michelin tyres make a huge difference? My earlier ride was a German - sorely miss that matured ride quality.
Old 7th October 2020, 14:01   #1346
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsharma2008 View Post
2020 has turned out to be a year when my Activa has clocked more kilometers than my Seltos GTX+ DCT. After purchasing it in January this year, I have clocked less than 5k kilometers but I absolutely hate the low speed ride quality on this car with the recommended 35 PSI on OE tyres. Infact, I have stopped liking the car due to this. Last week reduced the air pressure to 30 PSI on all tyres and witnessed much better low speed ride quality (not ideal but livable). Does changing to Michelin tyres make a huge difference? My earlier ride was a German - sorely miss that matured ride quality.
The ideal tyre pressure for Creta / Seltos is between 32-33 psi. I personally maintain 33 psi in my 2015 Creta which basically has a better ride quality then the current gen. For that matter Seltos is a tad firmer then even the 2020 Creta.

IMHO you should try 32 & 33 psi & see how it works out for you. 30 psi might be a tad low as you mentioned; but 32 psi is pretty balanced & is also being maintained by many bhpians owning the Seltos and they seem to be happy with it.
But the bottom line is, Seltos definitely has a firmer ride even when compared to the 2020 Creta. There is no denying that fact.
Hence, before spending a huge sum on the tires, easiest option is to try out different pressure settings in the existing tires & check if it suits your requirements.

Also, ensure that you get this done at a reputed shop as majority of the roadside tire shops / petrol pumps don’t seem to have a calibrated systems and hence can gives faulty readings.
ashvek3141 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 12:30   #1347
BHPian

30 PSI is cold tyre pressure so by the time I drive her for a few kilometers in this October heat, the pressure rises to 32-33 PSI.

And of course I am doing it at the digital gauge at Petrol pump to be as precise as possible, even the TMPS confirms it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post

IMHO you should try 32 & 33 psi & see how it works out for you. 30 psi might be a tad low as you mentioned; but 32 psi is pretty balanced & is also being maintained by many bhpians owning the Seltos and they seem to be happy with it.
Old 9th October 2020, 02:04   #1348
BHPian

I went to the Kia showroom to checkout both the Seltos and the Sonet. I was surprised to see that the front seat of the Sonet was way more comfortable than that of the Seltos. Is that something anyone has noticed. I’m 6’1” and broad.

I only sat in the GTX+ trims of both. The Seltos I sat in had the old beige seats, while the Sonet was black. Are the new black ones slightly better in the GTX+ variant?

P.S: Went to Hyundai next and found both the front and back seat of Creta way more roomier and comfortable than the Seltos.
Old 9th October 2020, 08:37   #1349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharathan View Post
I only sat in the GTX+ trims of both. The Seltos I sat in had the old beige seats, while the Sonet was black. Are the new black ones slightly better in the GTX+ variant?
I had a similar observation when I went to check out the Sonet at the nearby Kia showroom. The front seats of the Sonet are definitely well designed. On my short test drive, I found them to be well contoured and supportive, with good side bolstering as well. They are also on the firmer side, which I always prefer - hate soft sagging seats on my cars.
Old 9th October 2020, 13:59   #1350
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharathan View Post
I went to the Kia showroom to checkout both the Seltos and the Sonet. I was surprised to see that the front seat of the Sonet was way more comfortable than that of the Seltos. Is that something anyone has noticed. I’m 6’1” and broad.
This is true. The seats in the Sonet are supremely comfy. They are well contoured & there’s a right amount of bolstering too.

If you compare the sitting of Seltos with Creta, then Creta wins this hands down. The front seats especially are way better then the Seltos. Also, I found the rear seats much more comfortable then the ones in the Seltos.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks