Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2020, 15:02   #481
BANNED

Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
1. I was thinking if I should change the tyres to Michelin (same size); is the difference very noticeable? Basically worth it? (I am already tight on a budget) And I hope there won’t be any warranty issues? Also, would the new ones be covered by insurance although I have hardly seen any tyre claims!
Overall ride shall be smoother, grippy and silent (a main advantage over the stock ones). If you retain the OEM size, the warranty shouldn't be a reason to worry.

Quote:
How much should I expect for the Goodyears?
215/60 R17 is the size, right?

If yes, if you drive straight to the tyre store from the dealership post-delivery, the Goodyears should fetch around ₹7,000 per tyre (minimum). More you clock miles on the Goodyear, lesser would be the buy-back price.

Quote:
2. I was also thinking of buying 17” alloy & tyre for the spare tyre. Good idea? Alloy is quoted for around 11k. ( I generally don’t go the long-distance)
Price quoted is correct for the alloy. I think the spare is a steel wheel with 205/65 R16. Correct?
Old 15th February 2020, 15:19   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Overall ride shall be smoother, grippy and silent (a main advantage over the stock ones). If you retain the OEM size, the warranty shouldn't be a reason to worry.

215/60 R17 is the size, right?

If yes, if you drive straight to the tyre store from the dealership post-delivery, the Goodyears should fetch around ₹7,000 per tyre (minimum). More you clock miles on the Goodyear, lesser would be the buy-back price.

Price quoted is correct for the alloy. I think the spare is a steel wheel with 205/65 R16. Correct?
Yup the sizes are all right. Yes the spare is a steel wheel thats why I wanted to upgrade the spare to alloy, and ofcourse tyre as well. Is it a good idea to spend on it keeping in mind that I generally don’t do long distance trips.

Are Michelin P4ST good? Hope they are not too soft?
I last used primacy in my civic years ago, they were super silent.
Old 15th February 2020, 15:31   #483
BANNED

Quote:
Is it a good idea to spend on it keeping in mind that I generally don’t do long-distance trips.
It is good to have all the tyres + wheels of the same specification.

If you can spend that extra bucks for the 17" alloy + tyre, go ahead, else, postpone it. I feel the priority should be to change the 4 tyres from Goodyear to Michelin and once you have the Vitamin-M to spend, buy the fifth 17" alloy + tyre for the spare.

Quote:
Are Michelin P4ST good? Hope they are not too soft?
I don't have experience yet with the P4ST but have heard good reviews about them. I own a Creta with the same tyre specification (215/60 R17) and have decided to get them once the OEM Bridgestone's wear out.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2020, 15:43   #484
Senior - BHPian

Posted ownership thread of my Seltos today -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...xperience.html
bluevolt is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th February 2020, 19:53   #485
BHPian

I wanted to know should I get ceramic coating done on seltos htx intense red?
The car spa (trusted & reliable) is quoting 24k (Whole Body+windshield) and is offering 2.5 years warranty. He is saying better than showroom shine will be maintained in that period and he will do 3 maintenances in one year.
I didn’t even got teflon done on my 2 yr old baleno and it still shines , so is this coating worth and should it be done in the first few days after delivery or I can wait.

Wait as in 6 months to 1 year and then get it if need be?

Regular cleaning and wax works out cheaper and is very much affordable.

I don’t know if its has anything do with sunshine/dust, my car is never parked in the open in routine, always in the basement parking.
k2max6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2020, 20:56   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Posted ownership thread of my Seltos today -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...xperience.html
Quote:
Wait as in 6 months to 1 year and then get it if need be?

Regular cleaning and wax works out cheaper and is very much affordable.

I don’t know if its has anything do with sunshine/dust, my car is never parked in the open in routine, always in the basement parking.

Let me complete a baleno+seltos hat trick here. All three of us have a baleno and while you two have got your seltos a different dealer has allotted me HTK Gravity Grey. So one way or the other in a week's time even I will have a seltos. HTK for sure or HTK+ if i get lucky and KIA suddenly dispatches it in a week's time.

Since it is very easy to ruin a colour like Gravity Grey even I would be going for regular wax work. Going through the car detailing thread I got the idea that one should go for Colour Protection coating as it adds a layer and refrain from polishing as it is abrasive and ruins the colour coat in the long run. Waxing is hard and time consuming but better and cheaper in the long run.

Last edited by psbali : 15th February 2020 at 21:01. Reason: rephrased
psbali is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2020, 21:19   #487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
Let me complete a baleno+seltos hat trick here. All three of us have a baleno and while you two have got your seltos a different dealer has allotted me HTK Gravity Grey. So one way or the other in a week's time even I will have a seltos. HTK for sure or HTK+ if i get lucky and KIA suddenly dispatches it in a week's time.

Since it is very easy to ruin a colour like Gravity Grey even I would be going for regular wax work. Going through the car detailing thread I got the idea that one should go for Colour Protection coating as it adds a layer and refrain from polishing as it is abrasive and ruins the colour coat in the long run. Waxing is hard and time consuming but better and cheaper in the long run.
Hat trick, thats nice
I didn’t get full clarity from your answer.As far as wax is concerned the car spa is a km from my place and charges 800 for a terrific job.( uses meguiars) For me it won’t be hard plus Shelling out this much amount that too with time gap is easy.

What I understood is that one should get coating; right? Are you thinking of getting it?
I read here years ago that Teflon is not ideal, can’t recall correctly.
Also I suppose before coating they do some rubbing which is abrasive, not sure.
Coating is expensive, so can we do without coating? Majority does but we have the itch to get everything to the details. courtesy of team bhp.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th February 2020 at 00:59. Reason: Only two emoticons allowed per post. Thanks.
k2max6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2020, 22:18   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Hat trick, thats nice
I didn’t get full clarity from your answer.As far as wax is concerned the car spa is a km from my place and charges 800 for a terrific job.( uses meguiars) For me it won’t be hard plus Shelling out this much amount that too with time gap is easy.

What I understood is that one should get coating; right? Are you thinking of getting it?
I read here years ago that Teflon is not ideal, can’t recall correctly.
Also I suppose before coating they do some rubbing which is abrasive, not sure
Coating is expensive, so can we do without coating? Majority does but we have the itch to get everything to the details. courtesy of team bhp.

From what I have read in the detailing thread I have learnt

1. Waxing is the ideal option if you want to maintain colour and protect paint of your car as it adds a layer. Cheap but very tiring and time consuming. Lasts a month or so. Also you have to ensure that you dont over wash your car.

2. Polishing adds shine but it is abrasive and not recommended for long term if you are planning to keep the car for long. Again can be cheap if you DIY. Depending upon the condition also lasts for a month to 3 months.

3. Teflon coating is a type of polish/detailing option. There are several services in different price brackets. Everyone claims that it lasts for 6 months but in my experience if you get your car washed regularly and park in the sun then the polish doesnt lasts long.

4. From what I have understood ceramic coating or high end coating (whatever it is called) is the option to go for if you have money. They wax, polish and coat the car. They wax and polish to bring out the shine and get rid of swirls etc and then add a coat on top which protects the wax and polish underneath indirectly protecting the top coat of your car. They claim it lasts for a year and you get some 3 free services and so on. Even though the process in between is abrasive it doesnt damage much as per some team bhp posts.

5. One other paint protection option i have read about is that they paste a transparent film on your car's body which a lot of people over here are buying for their high end cars and comes with certain warranty and free repair in case some one brushes against your car.

I have tried my best to summarise the different options. Please correct if I am wrong.

Ill be first trying my hand at waxing as I dont understand the need to spend over 25k for such coatings. My opinion can change but I still cant shell out that much. It all depends how much convenience you are looking for. If you dont want to spend time waxing and stuff and can spend that kind of money then I have only read good things about the expensive coatings being done by several bhpians.

I wash my baleno on my own but never waxed it as it is white. The only thing extra that I see myself doing is wax the car due to dark colour. Wax once a month with wash once a week and clean with a duster in between.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th February 2020 at 00:59. Reason: Quoted post edited.
psbali is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2020, 22:39   #489
Senior - BHPian

I have kept my earlier cars for 10 years, and used turtle wax, collinite, formula one wax over them once every 6 months. IMO, spending money like 20-30k for ceramic coating etc doesn't make sense to me. Even my 10 year old cars had amazing gloss and shine.

I want to know when we can wax a brand new car? Shall I wait till first service is done? Earlier, I started waxing only after 3-4 months of ownership.

Also, I have shortlisted Collinite, Turtle Liquid Wax, and Meguiar's NXT paste wax. Which one to go for?
bluevolt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2020, 23:50   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Have you tried dropping the tyre pressure by 1-2 psi? It may feel smoother.
Yes Anurag, I am now filling it till 32 psi only and that is definitely helping.
Old 16th February 2020, 09:02   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I am getting the Seltos HTX IVT 1.5P next week.
I wanted to know 2 things about tyres 17”
1. I was thinking if I should change the tyres to Michelin (same size) ; is the difference very noticeable ? Basically worth it?( I am already tight on budget) And I hope there won’t be any warranty issues? Also would the new ones be covered by insurance although I have hardly seen any tyre claims!
Honestly, in my opinion, the gains in decibel levels and handling are there but in a cost vs benefit analysis, if you are tight on the moolah, skip it. The OEM tyres at 32-33 psi work just fine.

Quote:
I wanted to know should I get ceramic coating done on seltos htx intense red?
The car spa (trusted & reliable) is quoting 24k (Whole Body+windshield) and is offering 2.5 years warranty. He is saying better than showroom shine will be maintained in that period and he will do 3 maintenances in one year.
I didn’t even got teflon done on my 2 yr old baleno and it still shines , so is this coating worth and should it be done in the first few days after delivery or I can wait.
Ceramic coating? Strict no in Indian metro cities at the least. You do get good shine, yes but that's is highly temporary, even after about 8-9 months you will start seeing it diminish. Our environmental conditions dont give it the life they claim it does.

Self healing PPF - paint protection film? Far more expensive than ceramic (my Seltos costed me RS 90k for the whole car) is a much better option.

It definitely protects against things like the acid from bird droppings, minor scratches (my new car has had 3 minor ones thanks to idiot motorists, which without PPf would have necessitated a full panel rework, but in this case application of heat removed them.

PPF also adds a physical layer that absorbs the manhandling our car skins get from dust and subsequent improper cleaning leaving Swirls. You do get swirls on the ppf but when you strip it (3-4 years later) you get pristine OEM like finish This is something ceramic doesn't offer.

If you don't want to spend so much, get the doors, bumper corners etc done, that are the accident prone areas and you can finish it for 25-30k.
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 09:52   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Honestly, in my opinion, the gains in decibel levels and handling are there but in a cost vs benefit analysis, if you are tight on the moolah, skip it. The OEM tyres at 32-33 psi work just fine.
Thanks for the clarity.

I don’t want to spend so much per se, its just that its the most expensive car I am going to own so was being cautious. I think I’ll get only the bumper corners and ORVMs PPF done for now.

As for tyre pressure can we adjust preset 35 psi tyre pressure to 32-33 in the TPMS? Otherwise it would always display the error.

Last edited by ampere : 16th February 2020 at 11:06. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 16th February 2020, 10:11   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the clarity.

I don’t want to spend so much per se, its just that its the most expensive car I am going to own so was being cautious. I think I’ll get only the bumper corners and ORVMs PPF done for now. This was at 3M.

As for tyre pressure can we adjust preset 35 psi tyre pressure to 32-33 in the TPMS? Otherwise it would always display the error.
I have gone with PPF for bumper corners, ORVMs and inside of door handles; costed me 16k +. Also, decided not to go with Tyre swap as it was turning out to be quite expensive. Have been filling 32 psi without getting any TPMS error so far.
civic-dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 10:41   #494
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the clarity.
I don’t want to spend so much per se, its just that its the most expensive car I am going to own so was being cautious. I think I’ll get only the bumper corners and ORVMs PPF done for now.
If you don't like the idea of spending a lot, get the paint protection done. Here's my experience.

1) Ecosport - Got paint protection done from 3M. Even though I only used for 2 years, the shine was pretty much evident. Also, I used to polish the car at home occasionally.

2) Creta - No paint protection or wax in 4 years. Then noticed the paint to be a bit rough and also noticed a bit of discoloration. That's when I did the ceramic coating. It's been 6 months now and it's holding well. And I park my car outside at work (Sun/dust and what not).

For me, I feel the price to be justified since I got this done after 4 years of owning the car. No idea if I would say the same if I had done when I took delivery of the car.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 11:00   #495
BHPian

Quote:
If you don’t want to spend much, bumbers and ovrms with ppt is a good option may be also in all 4 outside door handle pockets where you get lots of scratches by nails while holding the handles to close/open the doors
Regarding TPMS error , that varies from car to car and for Seltos it gives error only when it goes below 30 PSI I guess

Last edited by Salnv : 16th February 2020 at 11:14. Reason: typo corrected
Salnv is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks